Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who still think Ireland is part of the UK

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,762 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You see , now you have me concerned that they would answer incorrectly, thus forcing me to avoid them forever.... I'll simply think they know and leave it at that

That would probably be best. This is just a little extract from 2019 of something I found on line.

My first encounter took place about two weeks after moving to London when I registered with my local GP.

“Where were you born?” the nurse asked me first, entering my details onto the system. “Dublin”. She paused. “Is that in Northern Ireland, or the South?” I tell her Dublin is in the South.

She pauses again, clearly struggling with the list of options on her computer screen. “Does that mean you’re…British?” she finally asks, half-apologetically. “No”, I answer. “I’m Irish.”

And I saw a UK survey from 2008 which claimed that 20% of those asked did not know that the UK was a member state of the EU (it was in 2008).

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

That would probably be best. This is just a little extract from 2019 of something I found on line.

My first encounter took place about two weeks after moving to London when I registered with my local GP.

“Where were you born?” the nurse asked me first, entering my details onto the system. “Dublin”. She paused. “Is that in Northern Ireland, or the South?” I tell her Dublin is in the South.

She pauses again, clearly struggling with the list of options on her computer screen. “Does that mean you’re…British?” she finally asks, half-apologetically. “No”, I answer. “I’m Irish.”

And I saw a UK survey from 2008 which claimed that 20% of those asked did not know that the UK was a member state of the EU (it was in 2008).

Stop ruining my thoughts of my fellow Brits...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Yeah I would recognise this. When I registered my son's birth I was asked for my country of birth.

"Ireland" says I. Cue a pause and scrolling on the screen. She then tilts it around to show me. It said "Irish Republic". I said "No. The country of my birth is Ireland".

My wife glared at me. I continued "The correct constitutional name of my country of birth is Ireland. It is not the Irish Republic or the Republic of Ireland."

Then I just blinked and went with "Irish Republic"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah I would recognise this. When I registered my son's birth I was asked for my country of birth.

"Ireland" says I. Cue a pause and scrolling on the screen. She then tilts it around to show me. It said "Irish Republic". I said "No. The country of my birth is Ireland".

My wife glared at me. I continued "The correct constitutional name of my country of birth is Ireland. It is not the Irish Republic or the Republic of Ireland."

I bet you're fun at parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭air assault

Well fecking said. No such place as the Republic of Ireland either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

MrVestek wrote: »
    I bet you're fun at parties.

To be honest I wouldn't put myself on the top of a party invite list. I have no time for fun or any of that type of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

To be even more pedantic, two islands.

Indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Well fecking said. No such place as the Republic of Ireland either

This, although most of us posting here live in the ROI, or Southern Ireland as some call it.

Yes of course we live in Ireland, and Ireland is the official name of this country, but for the sake of postal services, retail warranty, or just for clarity, sometimes using ROI helps, why? because it differentiates us from NI (which is inside the UK) while we are not. This distinction is sometimes needed, even when communicating with next door in Britain!

Many times I've been on the phone to an English accent who's asks "Is that Northern Ireland or Southern Ireland Sir" eh, that's Southern Ireland please, "you're not in the UK then are you" eh, no were not, "So that's the Republic of Ireland you live in" Answer; yes this is, or just Ireland for short.

This clarity is sometimes required . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

This, although most of us posting here live in the ROI, or Southern Ireland as some call it.

Yes of course we live in Ireland, and Ireland is the official name of this country, but for the sake of postal services, retail warranty, or just for clarity, sometimes using ROI helps, why? because it differentiates us from NI which is inside the UK while we are not. This distinction is sometimes needed, even when communicating with next door in Britain!

Many times I been on the phone to an English accent who's asks "Is that Northern Ireland or Southern Ireland Sir" eh, that's Southern Ireland please, "you're not in the UK then are you" eh, no were not, "So that's the Republic of Ireland you live in" Answer; yes this is, or just Ireland for short.

This clarity is sometimes required . . . .

I did hear a story once that UK call centres that dealt with us had training on ROI. Mainly because the average Brit came into the role not having a clue as to the nuances, NI or ROI. I am using the term ROI. They referred to us as Southern Ireland. Would have the potential to upset a few Shinners whereas the majority of us would just be wanting just to know when our goods were arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Cal4567 wrote: »
    I did hear a story once that UK call centres that dealt with us had training on ROI. Mainly because the average Brit came into the role not having a clue as to the nuances, NI or ROI. I am using the term ROI. They referred to us as Southern Ireland. Would have the potential to upset a few Shinners whereas the majority of us would just be wanting just to know when our goods were arriving.

If we're having to use ROI, why aren't they UKOGB&NI? Actually, to be equivalent to ROI, it would need to the CMOUKOGB&NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Gobbledygook.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

My friend lives in Edinburgh. He says Scottish people don't have a clue that Ireland isn't part of the UK.

Advertisement