Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who still think Ireland is part of the UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

DuffleBag wrote: »
    The crux of this is the Irish guy should've nipped it in the bud early and instead of "why would we use the pound" he should've killed it and say Ireland isn't part of the UK.

Because it wasn't immediately clear that he was referring to the pound sterling not the Irish pound.

Amirani wrote: »
    Sport and commerce we just don't - we haven't done anything particularly special in either.

Ryanair, Europe's biggest airline.

Most aircraft in the world which are leased are leased from a company based here.

Most of Alitalia's fleet has EI- registrations, because in Italy the registration goes with the country of the aircraft owner not the aircraft operator.

Hundreds of EI- planes globally which have never set a wheel on Irish tarmac.

In Brussels, Ireland’s commissioner Philip Hogan is in charge of trade, one of the few briefs where the European Commission, rather than eu governments, is supreme.

Oh well. Just a few weeks before Golfgate!
    Nor is Ireland shy about using its cultural clout. Alongside more subtle overtures, the push for the Security Council seat involved free tickets to Riverdance and a u2 gig. The best that Canada could muster was Celine Dion.

:pac::pac::pac:

We are far off their consciousness radar. Particularly in the south of the UK which is densely populated and they have half an eye on the continent. It is a bit like asking someone from Dublin where Rockall is located and what is the legal jurisdiction of the place. They might have heard about it in a song and know it exists, but most people without links to the place just don't have a reason to think all that much about it.

Jaysus, we're being compared to a tiny uninhabited rock now :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

90? At most 30-35. The west of Ireland is probably later than you. Longitude matters more than latitude in this case.

Fun fact I learned today. Bremen in Germany is pretty much the exact same latitude as Dublin and it’s longitude is almost exactly as far west from the 15° meridian as we are from Greenwich. So their subsets and sunrises are almost exact the same as Dublin. To a minute. Cork in comparison is a few minutes off.

Not true at all. I lived in East Anglia for four years, it was dark by 10pm there in the summer at the absolute latest. Meanwhile here the sun is still up at that time.

McGaggs wrote: »
    True, but it's actually much more common for British people to refer to Britain as the UK, to the exclusion of NI. TBH, I don't understand why they don't properly abbreviate their country to UKoGB&NI.

Nope, UK stands for the whole thing so there is no issue with that. British politicians use Britain and UK interchangeably.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

We don't get nearly enough credit for inventing the Breakfast Pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I live abroad (Australia) and the majority here wouldn’t have a clue that Ireland is seperate to the UK. And that’s with around 20-25% of Australians having some Irish ancestry. There was a Scottish fella I worked with here a few years ago, one of the smartest and technically competent fellas I ever worked with and he’d often say to me “so, are you heading back to the UK for a visit anytime soon?”

I was only on a call this morning with some lads from Puerto Rico and he asked a question “do you guys in the UK.....” referring to me in Australia. So in their minds, any country even in the British commonwealth classifies as UK so if they struggle to get that right there’s little hope they’d distinguish Ireland being seperate to the UK!

To be fair I can see where the confusion may be. I was telling a lad in work a while ago about how the north was part of the UK and he just couldn’t wrap his head around how that was the case....but also being on the island of Ireland. I then confused him further saying GB was just England, Scotland and Wales but UK was the same but also included NI....but at the same time the “British Isles” (a non political term) encompasses all of those plus ROI. For the lols I then mentioned how we use euros but the rest use sterling....but how NI sterling is slightly different to English sterling and that NI sterling notes wouldn’t be taken on the English mainland! Then mentioned how the Irish rugby team encompasses the whole island but the soccer teams are seperate....but GB compete as one at the Olympics! You have to admit it’s all a tad confusing for anyone looking in from the outside!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Cake Man wrote: »
    I live abroad (Australia) and the majority here wouldn’t have a clue that Ireland is seperate to the UK. And that’s with around 20-25% of Australians having some Irish ancestry. There was a Scottish fella I worked with here a few years ago, one of the smartest and technically competent fellas I ever worked with and he’d often say to me “so, are you heading back to the UK for a visit anytime soon?”

I was only on a call this morning with some lads from Puerto Rico and he asked a question “do you guys in the UK.....” referring to me in Australia. So in their minds, any country even in the British commonwealth classifies as UK so if they struggle to get that right there’s little hope they’d distinguish Ireland being seperate to the UK!

To be fair I can see where the confusion may be. I was telling a lad in work a while ago about how the north was part of the UK and he just couldn’t wrap his head around how that was the case....but also being on the island of Ireland. I then confused him further saying GB was just England, Scotland and Wales but UK was the same but also included NI....but at the same time the “British Isles” (a non political term) encompasses all of those plus ROI. For the lols I then mentioned how we use euros but the rest use sterling....but how NI sterling is slightly different to English sterling and that NI sterling notes wouldn’t be taken on the English mainland! Then mentioned how the Irish rugby team encompasses the whole island but the soccer teams are seperate....but GB compete as one at the Olympics! You have to admit it’s all a tad confusing for anyone looking in from the outside!
    Good man. A great conversation over a few pints. Don't forget to add that we don't refer to Britain as the 'mainland'. We have our own mainland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Britain makes up over 97% of the population of the UK. While NI makes up the rest of the UK. Also a person from all of the UK is a British citizen. So Britain and the UK are often used interchangeably although they are obviously different things. It is similar with Holland and the Netherlands. Holland is an area within the Netherlands but not equal to the Netherlands.

What is interesting about the UK it's name is made up of a geographical area and a political area. GB being a geographical area and NI being a political area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I'm delighted you're enjoying New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    British politicians use Britain and UK interchangeably.

Yes, they are often using the wrong term for the geographical area they are trying to refer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Neither the Irish nor the British government refer to these islands as the British Isles. I personally prefer the Irish Isles.

Professor of Geopolitics at NUI Maynooth Gerry Kearns explained that it is very difficult to take the politics out of it completely.

“Whenever someone refers to all those islands off the coast of Europe as the British Isles,” “they are engaged in some unconscious anglo-centrism.”

“However, as far back as the Act of Union in 1800, which brought Ireland into the United Kingdom, even then it was referred to as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland”.

More than two hundred years after Mr Dee called them the British Isles, the government of the day still decided to include “and Ireland”.

Quite right too. Irish people who call it the British Isles need a good kick up the hole.

• Advertisement

The geographical name of the island archipelago is the British isles whether you like it or not. Dublin and London when corresponding refer to them as "These islands" probably due to the fact Dublin in the past would have an issue with them referred to the British Isles. Anyway the name Britain originates from the Romans. Seems pety that Irish have a complex with this. Do Brits have a problem with the name of the Irish sea that seperates Ireland to Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

ittakestwo wrote: »
    The geographical name of the island archipelago is the British isles whether you like it or not. Dublin and London when corresponding refer to them as "These islands" probably due to the fact Dublin in the past would have an issue with them referred to the British Isles. Anyway the name Britain originates from the Romans. Seems pety that Irish have a complex with this. Do Brits have a problem with the name of the Irish sea that seperates Ireland to Britain.

You're wrong. The Romans called Ireland Hibernia. The first use of the term “British Isles”, recorded by the Oxford English Dictionary, was in 1577.
    John Dee, a mathematician used the term in a possessive sense. He was close to the Queen. No doubt just an attempt to try to claim ownership over Ireland.

The term "The British Isles" is, quite simply, an anachronistic political designation, and has no basis in geography. Ireland is, quite simply, not a British island. It used to be one in a political sense, but the fact that a piece of it is still in the UK is no real argument for calling the whole place British. British islands include Skye, the Orkneys, Anglesea, etc. They don't include Ireland.

Not true at all. I lived in East Anglia for four years, it was dark by 10pm there in the summer at the absolute latest. Meanwhile here the sun is still up at that time.

Not an hour and a half. There’s an hour difference every 15° longitude and you are about 7.3w of Greenwich. (That’s Derry the city). So 30 minutes later by the clock. The latitude adds a bit more but not much.

Eugh...sunset times 21st June

Sunset Dover: 9:13pm

Sunset Derry: 10:13pm

Sunset Norwich: 9:22pm.

End of civil twilight dover: 10:00pm

End of Civil Twilight Derry; 11:08pm

So that’s at least an hours difference as I just said. You would think you would know not to argue with somebody who has lived in both regions. East Anglia and the SE of England have appallingly early sunset times in comparison to Northern Ireland, especially in the winter.

They probably named it. It’s the sea to Ireland from their perspective. We would have called it the English sea. Presumably the French named the English Channel.

Anyway I personally don’t care about the British Isles as a geographical term but it does confuse things politically.

Eugh...sunset times 21st June

Sunset Dover: 9:13pm

Sunset Derry: 10:13pm

Sunset Norwich: 9:22pm.

End of civil twilight dover: 10:00pm

End of Civil Twilight Derry; 11:08pm

So that’s at least an hours difference as I just said. You would think you would know not to argue with somebody who has lived in both regions. East Anglia and the SE of England have appallingly early sunset times in comparison to Northern Ireland, especially in the winter.

Your original claim was 90 minutes later than London. The figures I see are 21: 21 and 22:12. A good deal less than 90 minutes.

I was surprised at the 15 minute difference between Dublin and Derry I admit. Must go north for summer sometime. Not Northern Ireland of course, always wanted to visit RathMullen.

Just to show the substantial difference:

9:40pm here 10 days before the longest day. At least 20 minutes AFTER sunset in East Anglia and the SE of England.

CSX5pA1.jpg

f8Tvj4I.jpg

ZOTblPI.jpg

61dYoq7.png

Pretty big difference is you ask me!!

Your original claim was 90 minutes later than London. The figures I see are 21: 21 and 22:12. A good deal less than 90 minutes.

I was surprised at the 15 minute difference between Dublin and Derry I admit. Must go north for summer sometime. Not Northern Ireland of course, always wanted to visit RathMullen.

Yes but our civil twilight lasts a lot longer not to mention we have nautical twilight all night.

It actually gets dark at night down there in summer.

Yes but our civil twilight lasts a lot longer not to mention we have nautical twilight all night.

It actually gets dark at night down there in summer.

Yeh that's true. Good point. I agree that London's summer sunset sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

This thread probably needs to get back on topic lest it face closure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Before anyone says part of Ireland is still part of the UK, I'm aware of that.

I remember watching a video on YouTube where there's an Irish guy from the IDA or some organization like that discussing trade on an American tv show. One of the panelists was totally confused why Ireland used the Euro and Scotland uses the pound. He seemed to be oblivious that we are an independent country.

It seems to crop up now and again. It really annoys me and shows people ignorance. What's everyone's thoughts.....

Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpasQJJF-h0

Oddly, my parents think that northern ireland isn't part of the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    You're wrong. The Romans called Ireland Hibernia. The first use of the term “British Isles”, recorded by the Oxford English Dictionary, was in 1577.
    John Dee, a mathematician used the term in a possessive sense. He was close to the Queen. No doubt just an attempt to try to claim ownership over Ireland.

The term "The British Isles" is, quite simply, an anachronistic political designation, and has no basis in geography. Ireland is, quite simply, not a British island. It used to be one in a political sense, but the fact that a piece of it is still in the UK is no real argument for calling the whole place British. British islands include Skye, the Orkneys, Anglesea, etc. They don't include Ireland.

The British isles is derived from the fact that Great Britain is at the heart of these islands (geographically speaking), and as such we are a satellite of the main island of Great Britain.

Great in this case meaning Big!

Great Britain is the largest island in Europe and has been called by several variations on a theme stretching back to Roman times. When the Romans left Brittany in Northern France they quickly arrived on an island that was bigger than Brittany, hence big Brittany, Great Britain, Grande Britanique etc etc.

The term is only used in geographical circles. These islands seems to be the main term these days, although flawed as it is also used by several other island groupings on the globe, hence it's not unique to this archipelago.

The UK and Ireland is the political name for these islands. The UK comprising of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland & Wales, with Ireland being Ireland (previously Hibernia) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The term is only used in geographical circles.:)
    I'm a geographer and it is not used in any of our circles, Lord Sutch. In fact the term is used as the primary example of how nomenclature is toxic in geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I'm a geographer and it is not used in any of our circles, Lord Sutch. In fact the term is used as the primary example of how nomenclature is toxic in geography.

I hear it used in the BBC weather forecasts all the time, I hear it used in radio programmes too, even on RTE from time to time. I think it was Tony Robinson of Black Addar fame who told me about the Roman/Brittany connection, and not the other fella.

Admittedly it's not used outside of the weather, but that's mostly based in geography isn't it.

It’s used here and in North America too. I have only heard people from the south having gripes over it

Tyrone212 wrote: »

The geographical name of the archipelago is the British isles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The geographical name of the archipelago is the British isles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Isles
    A non-political archipelago that includes the Orkney Islands and the Channel Island. Fcuk off!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Ahh the 'Gret Britannia' of the Roman days. Seeing how the only indigenous people of what was once 'Britannia' left on that Island now reside in Wales after the Saxons from Germany invaded the place after the Romans legged it, and pushed all the real people of Brittania over into Wales. Then the French Normans came over and literally burned the entire north of England to a crisp and everything in it, the same French lineage that coined the term 'Great Britain' in order to gain control over the America's. Great job all round.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

A non-political archipelago that includes the Orkney Islands and the Channel Island. Fcuk off!

An archipelago is a geographical term. Like a peninsula or a continent. People are getting confused between a geographical area and a political area. Political areas are jurisdictions that occupy an area. Some times a political area can be equal to the geographical area like Iceland is the geographical name of the Island and the politcal sovereign country that occupies the island. Spain and Portugal are two political areas that occupy the geographical area that is the iberian peninsula like the Republic of Ireland and the UK are the two political areas that occupy the British Isles archipelago.

Btw if the British Isles is not the geographical name for the archipelago what is? I have never herd of it being called anything else in a geographical context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

British and Irish Isles - just like the British and Irish Lions!

Advertisement