Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Vs Munster Pro 14 final build up thread

• 23-03-2021 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

To save two team threads getting messy

Here's a thread for you to get you started

Munster looking for their first silverware in 10 years
    Leinster going for 4 in a row

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Jesus is it 10 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

going for 6 wins in a row over Munster.

and we all know, no one beats Munster 6 times in a row. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think Munster should be able to keep this one VERY close (for the first 10 minutes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Leinster are 3/10 to win, Munster 5/2. Handicap is 7 pts.

I think Munster are going to have a stronger XV on the day because of Leinster injuries and lads being rested, so I think this could be Munster's day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster are 3/10 to win, Munster 5/2. Handicap is 7 pts.

I think Munster are going to have a stronger XV on the day because of Leinster injuries and lads being rested, so I think this could be Munster's day.

It's going to be close to full strength it seems. Which side that benefits more is an interesting question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

I'll reserve judgment until I see the teams.

They say the internationals are available, whether or not they will be selected (with an eye on Europe) is another question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I'm looking forward to this, I must admit....
    think we'll win by 20+ points.

What? Im allowed dream ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

They have to play full teams imo. Xmas interpros are one thing but if you're not playing full teams in final you're really saying competition doesn't matter so expect two first teams even if provinces wanted to rest players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

It's mental that we're even discussing the possibility of not fielding full strength teams for the league final in favour of rotation because we have European quarter finals the following week. The Rainbow Cup can't come fast enough, or some form of alternative.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    They have to play full teams imo. Xmas interpros are one thing but if you're not playing full teams in final you're really saying competition doesn't matter so expect two first teams even if provinces wanted to rest players.

Sexton was a sub in last years final

• Advertisement

It's mental that we're even discussing the possibility of not fielding full strength teams for the league final in favour of rotation because we have European quarter finals the following week. The Rainbow Cup can't come fast enough, or some form of alternative.

It's two European games back to back in the Round of 16 and QF.
    Anyway, by the sounds of it the teams will be close to full strength.

Blame competition organisers, who have devalued competition for the South Africans

• Subscribers Posts: 41,825 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

bayern wrote: »
    Blame competition organisers, who have devalued competition for the South Africans

and covid of course

Devalued what exactly? The league has been terrible this season, long before the Rainbow Cup was a thing.

Can you explain what your issue is?

Mike Adamson to ref

We have a ref, Limericks Joy Neville is TMO :D

https://twitter.com/PRO14Official/status/1374338296348823559

Devalued what exactly?

The league has been terrible. Can you explain what your issue is?

They've cut the league schedule short, removed semi finals and generally treated the league as a competition as a inconsequential event to be shoe horned in at the end of the 6 nations

yerrahbah wrote: »
    We have a ref, Limericks Joy Neville is TMO :D

https://twitter.com/PRO14Official/status/1374338296348823559

POM is safe to dive into all the rucks he likes so.

They've cut the league schedule short, removed semi finals and generally treated the league as a competition as a inconsequential event.

The league has been an inconsequential event, compared to other competitions, since ever.

There's bigger factors at play too than the Proxx. The SA players need a tune up prior to whatever the Lions series turns out to be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The league has been an inconsequential event, compared to other competitions, since ever.

*Except 2011, obviously, Thomond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Munsters game to lose !!!
    You are welcome Thomond !!!

It's no coincidence that Munster haven't won a trophy since John Hayes retired.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

They've cut the league schedule short, removed semi finals and generally treated the league as a competition as a inconsequential event to be shoe horned in at the end of the 6 nations
    In fairness the schedule was cut short by a whole 2 matches. It wouldn't have made much difference to the final standings and you'd probably have ended up with the same final anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster will have a big advantage in the front 5 but other than that I think things are pretty even. We would have had an advantage in the centres if Ringrose were fit, but he's out for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Clegg wrote: »
    Leinster will have a big advantage in the front 5 but other than that I think things are pretty even. We would have had an advantage in the centres if Ringrose were fit, but he's out for a few weeks.

If I had to get an advantage anywhere on the team I know where I would want it to be though ha

Clegg wrote: »

I dunno Beirne will be the best 2nd row and likely forward on the pitch.. Leinster will have big advantage in front row but back 5 of the pack.. may shade toward Munster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Praying for a Carbery v Sexton re-match

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Praying for a Carbery v Sexton re-match

pray for Carbery's ankle.

but most likely we will have Ross Byrne showing Joey how to play outhalf properly and not for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

Is it on telly? If so where?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I dunno Beirne will be the best 2nd row and likely forward on the pitch.. Leinster will have big advantage in front row but back 5 of the pack.. may shade toward Munster

You're right about Beirne. But that advantage is negated by the probable presence of Jean Kleyn. I really don't rate him.

That being said, I think Leinsters advantage in the front 5 hinges on Ryan Baird. We need an athletic presence at lock in the absence of Ryan. I don't think we can start Toner and Fardy against the better sides anymore.

eastie17 wrote: »
    Is it on telly? If so where?
    Thanks

Eir agus TG4

https://www.pro14.rugby/match-centre

pray for Carbery's ankle.

but most likely we will have Ross Byrne showing Joey how to play outhalf properly and not for the first time.

Go on outa that!
    If we dont get Sexton I want Harry v Joey

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Go on outa that!
    If we dont get Sexton I want Harry v Joey

Harry's chance of starting the final went out the window against Ospreys and probably missing the ulster away game.

• Advertisement

Byrne Bouncebackability test!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah, all joking aside, this isnt the game for Harry to cut his teeth in. He's doing well, picking up experience consistently, but still has a lot to learn in regards to the nuances of game management.

I've no doubt he'll surpass his brother, but it'll be another 12 months atleast, barring injury.

1 Cronin
    2 Scannell
    3 Ryan
    4 Kleyn
    5 Beirne
    6 POM
    7 Cloete
    8 Coombes
    9 Murray
    10 Joey
    11 Earls
    12 DeAllende
    13 Farrell
    14 Conway
    15 Haley

That's what I think we'll go with

1 Cronin
    2 Scannell
    3 Ryan
    4 Kleyn
    5 Beirne
    6 POM
    7 Cloete
    8 Coombes
    9 Murray
    10 Joey
    11 Earls
    12 DeAllende
    13 Farrell
    14 Conway
    15 Haley

That's what I think we'll go with

Stander?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Hard to see anything other than a Leinster win here.

Munster form has been up and down, very few positions are definite because of rotation and injury.

Munster have consistently fallen short on the big day and this won’t be any different.

• Advertisement

Stander?

Personally I'd like to see Coombes start, have CJ on the bench...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Stander?

6 CJ
    7 POM
    8 combs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

My guess at Munster 23 for final:

1. Cronin, 2. Scannell, 3. Archer
    4. Beirne(Holland), 5. Kleyn
    6. Stander(O'Donoghue), 8. Coombes, 7. O'Mahony
    9. Murray, 10. Carbery
    11. Earls(Daly), 12. De Allende, 13. Farrell, 14. Conway
    15. Haley

16. Marshall, 17. Loughman, 18. Ryan, 19. Holland(Ahern), 20. O'Donoghue(Cloete), 21. Casey, 22. Hanrahan, 23. Daly(Sweetnam).

Possible changes if Ireland players were to be too fatigued from multiple 6N appearances:
    Beirne - Holland to start, Ahern to bench
    Stander - O'Donoghue to start, Cloete to bench
    Earls - Daly to start, Sweetnam to bench

Missing due to injury but might have made the 23 otherwise:
    [Probably] Kilcoyne - HIA
    Snyman - ACL
    Fineen Wycherley - Neck

Close calls:
    Kevin O'Byrne could edge out Marshall for the hooker bench spot.
    Thomas Ahern could edge out Kleyn at tight side lock.
    O'Sullivan could edge out Cloete for the back row bench spot if Stander doesn't play.
    Healy could get on to the bench if Carbery doesn't play, and Hanrahan would start.
    Daly could start ahead of Conway, not sure which is the better player right now.
    Scannell, Nash or Gallagher could get the utility back bench spot instead of Sweetnam if Earls doesn't play.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tommybojangles

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah, all joking aside, this isnt the game for Harry to cut his teeth in.

The Ireland thread a few weeks ago would have told you the France game was the one to cut his teeth in ::D

Munster training in Thomond today, that's different. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

The Ireland thread a few weeks ago would have told you the France game was the one to cut his teeth in ::D

True. He's above Pro14 level so this game would be pretty meaningless to him.

Tempting fate but imo other than Beirne Munster's tight 5 just isn't that great imo, if Leinster can get on top there the rest will look after itself.

Tempting fate but imo other than Beirne Munster's tight 5 just isn't that great imo, if Leinster can get on top there the rest will look after itself.

Yeah I would say Leinster shade that battle alright.

Is Killer confirmed unavailable? That would broaden the gap also.

Healy, Byrne and Dooley are all great loosehead stocks to have

At tighthead I wouldn't have Munsters first choice ahead of Leinsters 3rd (Bent)

Hookers is all advantage Leinster too as they offer a lot more than their red peers and both sides have had their throwing woes.

Tadgh Beirne is in the form of his life but compounded by the fact that he'll likely be partnering Kleyn whose just not a reliable enough player in big games.

Leinster even without Ryan can put out an incredible capable second row unit choosing from Baird, Toner, Fardy and Molony.

As a Unit, Leinsters front 5 should have the advantage. If Killer is fit that might change things. But not by much

Yeah I would say Leinster shade that battle alright.

Is Killer confirmed unavailable? That would broaden the gap also.

Healy, Byrne and Dooley are all great loosehead stocks to have

At tighthead I wouldn't have Munsters first choice ahead of Leinsters 3rd (Bent)

Hookers is all advantage Leinster too as they offer a lot more than their red peers and both sides have had their throwing woes.

Tadgh Beirne is in the form of his life but compounded by the fact that he'll likely be partnering Kleyn whose just not a reliable enough player in big games.

Leinster even without Ryan can put out an incredible capable second row unit choosing from Baird, Toner, Fardy and Molony.

As a Unit, Leinsters front 5 should have the advantage. If Killer is fit that might change things. But not by much

TBH, I would pick any of Munster's 3 hookers over anything that Leinster have.. K O'Byrne would saunter into that Leinster side on the L'Oréal effect alone!

TBH, I would pick any of Munster's 3 hookers over anything that Leinster have.. K O'Byrne would saunter into that Leinster side on the L'Oréal effect alone!

Can't say I agree with that one.

Cronin, Kelleher and Sheehan all offer very significant points of difference over their peers.

Cronin in pace and experience.

Kelleher in genuine impact physicality that's been demonstrated at test level against some international units.

Sheehan in wrecking ball tendencies going forward.

All have had their issues from touch but Munsters lineout has hardly been stellar with KOB frequently a cuprit of poor throws recently

• Advertisement
Advertisement