Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Vs Munster Pro 14 final build up thread

Comments

Best chance Munster will have in a long time. The Leinster team are spent after beating England. I presume that joke has been made a few times already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Best chance Munster will have in a long time. The Leinster team are spent after beating England. I presume that joke has been made a few times already.

Absolutely.

Munster players presumably too busy focusing on Lions selection too.

It's a big ask but I'm sure a lot of them will hope to force their way into Rassies reckoning to get selected to play the Lions

• Subscribers Posts: 41,833 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

TBH, I would pick any of Munster's 3 hookers over anything that Leinster have.. K O'Byrne would saunter into that Leinster side on the L'Oréal effect alone!

2021 Munster forwards are the new ladyboys shocker ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

TBH, I would pick any of Munster's 3 hookers over anything that Leinster have.. K O'Byrne would saunter into that Leinster side on the L'Oréal effect alone!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

This is a great opportunity for Munster. They have more of a settled side. Leinster bringing back international lads may be a hindrance. Besides, Leinster don't have anyone that has a mean face like POM. That must be worth a few points.

It's Munster day Saturday, it's written in the stars.

https://extra.ie/2021/03/24/sport/rugby/munster-pro14-final-trophy-drought
    May 28 could ring in a very significant anniversary for Munster. A potential 10-year milestone is in the offing. It is not a landmark that this operation want to be celebrating, however.

It is nine years and 10 months since the province last secured a piece of silverware. When Paul O’Connell lifted the Magners League trophy at a packed-out Thomond Park, little did the Munster faithful know that it would precede a title drought in the years ahead.

.../CROPPED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

bayern wrote: »
    It's Munster day Saturday, it's written in the stars.

https://extra.ie/2021/03/24/sport/rugby/munster-pro14-final-trophy-drought

Just an FYI, cannot post full articles on Boards.ie - link and some text is fine. I've amended the post as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Both sides are desperate to be ranked as the underdogs!!

We will only know who is when the teams are announced. I have a feeling Munster will become favorites then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

sebdavis wrote: »

We will only know who is when the teams are announced. I have a feeling Munster will become favorites then.

Unless Leinster throw out their academy side, Munster are rightly the underdogs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Is this available to watch on tv outside of Ireland??

swiwi_ wrote: »

Has to be. For the last few finals there's been global broadcast info on the Leinster site, can't see it for this season but these were the channels from last Sept: https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/guinness-pro14-final-global-broadcast/

Unless Leinster throw out their academy side, Munster are rightly the underdogs

Not really
    If Munster go full strength and Leinster drop a few players like Furlong/Keenan/Sexton/Healy because of minutes during 6 nations Munster are then favourites.
    As I said it is hard to tell till both teams are announced

TG4 and use a VPN for Ireland
    Learn a new language :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭irelandrover

pro14.tv

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Bookies have Leinster 6 point favourites. I don't see that changing much, tbh.

Sure lookit, Munster are only lucky to be sharing a field with the behemoth that is Leinster rugby, and we'll give it our best on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

TG4 and use a VPN for Ireland
    Learn a new language :D

Go raibh míle maith agat...

aloooof wrote: »
    Bookies have Leinster 6 point favourites. I don't see that changing much, tbh.

Sure lookit, Munster are only lucky to be sharing a field with the behemoth that is Leinster rugby, and we'll give it our best on the day.

I think majority of Munster fans are confident they can turn over Leinter. The tag of "underdog" is an Irish thing which teams always want to be the underdog....

If its a full strengh Munster and a not from Leinster, Munster should be confident enough to come out and say they are favourities

I think majority of Munster fans are confident they can turn over Leinter. The tag of "underdog" is an Irish thing which teams always want to be the underdog....

If its a full strengh Munster and a not from Leinster, Munster should be confident enough to come out and say they are favourities

Munster like to play the cute hoors though.

I think Munster can turn over Leinster. But that's different to thinking they'll be favourites to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Not really
    If Munster go full strength and Leinster drop a few players like Furlong/Keenan/Sexton/Healy because of minutes during 6 nations Munster are then favourites.
    As I said it is hard to tell till both teams are announced

Add to that Henshaw and Ringrose, if we're without those guys and Munster go full strength, with CJ, Tadhg, Murray then Munster really should win comfortably. ;)

• Advertisement

Given the amount of stick Ruddock, JVDF and Conan get from Munster fans, i'd hope they'll come out firing on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I think Munster can turn over Leinster. But that's different to thinking they'll be favourites to do it.

Look, you're taking the favourites status and you're going to like it, alright!

most journo's and pundits seem to think Munster will win.. the "gap" has closed and that Beirne & Carbery will be the difference makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Realistically, who will be missing for Leinster?
    I did a post there a day or so ago with the Munster squad, could a Leinster fan do something similar for Leinster please?
    Would be interesting to see what kind of 23 ye are expecting.
    For Munster I think Stander, Beirne and Earls are the only doubts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

I did a post there a day or so ago with the Munster squad, could a Leinster fan do something similar for Leinster please?

Kilcoyne is most probably out

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Can Munster win? Definitely. Will they? It's going to be tight. 6 points seems generous to Leinster.

But the gap is narrower than it has been in recent seasons. Leinster went very close to full choice in January with the only absentees really being injury enforced (DK, Furlong, Lowe). This time around, Munster have Carbery back and Leinster have additional players absent who started on that occasion (Doris, Connors, Ringrose, Ryan).

I think it's really going to come down to the day that's in it. Will Leinster have Furlong available and in the team? That's a massive boost to Leinster if so. The weather is due to be very patchy at the weekend and a game based on territory, chasing, kicking etc. is going to be effective. That's precisely how Leinster dragged themselves back into the game in Thomond. However, a key part of that was Sexton and I don't see him starting this weekend.

People have cited the emotional element of Stander's departure. I don't really see that as being a factor. If Munster win, it will be because they're better on the day. They cannot rely on that emotional boost week after week. We've seen repeatedly that teams who raise their games in a one off manner, then splutter the following week and Stander and Beirne won't be relying on that to lift themselves.

I think it's going to be a one score win for someone. If everyone is available, the bench for Leinster could be decisive and I'd strongly back a 6/2 split (just as it was in Thomond) to make the most of that.

Healy, Kelleher, Porter, Fardy, Toner, Ruddock, JVDF, Conan, McGrath, Byrne, Lowe, Henshaw, ROL, Larmour, Keenan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

bayern wrote: »
    Healy, Kelleher, Porter, Fardy, Toner, Ruddock, JVDF, Conan, McGrath, Byrne, Lowe, Henshaw, ROL, Larmour, Keenan.

Add these to that list, these 4 are confirmed out AFAIK: Connors, Doris, Ryan, Ringrose. That's 4 guaranteed starters right there.

Add these to that list, these 4 are confirmed out AFAIK: Connors, Doris, Ryan, Ringrose. That's 4 guaranteed starters right there.

Furlong/Sexton on the bench possibly.

so whos gonna try guessing the 23s?

Leinster

Dooley
    Cronin
    Porter
    Moloney
    Baird
    ruddock
    Penny
    Conan
    Luke Mc Grath
    Ross byrne
    DK
    Frawley
    ROL
    Lowe
    Keenan

Ed Byrne
    Tracey
    Furlong
    Toner
    Fardy
    JGP
    H Byrne
    JVDF

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »

Leinster

Dooley
    Cronin
    Porter
    Moloney
    Baird
    ruddock
    Penny
    Conan
    Luke Mc Grath
    Ross byrne
    DK
    Frawley
    ROL
    Lowe
    Keenan

Ed Byrne
    Tracey
    Furlong
    Toner
    Fardy
    JGP
    H Byrne
    JVDF

I think we will go 6-2. I think Frawley will miss out though.

I reckon one of Dev or Fardy will start too

I think we will go 6-2. I think Frawley will miss out though.

I reckon one of Dev or Fardy will start too

i did go 6-2

whats your center partnership?

i did go 6-2

Its henshaw/rol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Kilcoyne is most probably out

Yes, forgot to mention him as well, I would rather they didn't play him, concussion is too dangerous to rush people back.

i did go 6-2

That was supposed to be me agreeing with you on the point. But I appreciate the ambiguity of how I typed it lol.

What Bayern has said.

I think Henshaw ROL is the center partnership.

It occurred to me there that while it's all well and good to manage players minutes etc as there is a huge chunk of big games coming up - it's also very feasible that there are 2 games left for Leinster this season.

Let's get the big boys out and performing and make sure we're playing more than 2 games

Interesting to see what Munster do with their backrow. I think Stander and Beirne are both likely to miss out, given their 6 Nations minutes.

Missing their jackal threat, we could see Cloete getting the nod at 7. Other than that, I'd expect it to be some combination of POM, JOD and Coombes. (Most likely 6. POM, 7. JOD and 8. Coombes I would imagine).

If Earls misses out as well, I'd expect it to be something pretty close to this. Tho I'd be hard pushed to know who they'll go with at hooker.

1. Cronin
    2. Scannell
    3. Archer
    4. Kleyn
    5. Holland
    6. POM
    7. Cloete
    8. Coombes
    9. Murray
    10. Carbery
    11. Daly
    12. DDA
    13. Farrell
    14. Conway
    15. Haley

Yes, forgot to mention him as well, I would rather they didn't play him, concussion is too dangerous to rush people back.

While I haven't followed Killers medical history overly closely in recent years, he does seem to have had more than a few head knocks too

But I'm possibly basing that mostly on his fairly high profile one against Scotland(?) when he had just come on

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Irish Beef

Leinster

Dooley
    Cronin
    Porter
    Moloney
    Baird
    ruddock
    Penny
    Conan
    Luke Mc Grath
    Ross byrne
    DK
    Frawley
    ROL
    Lowe
    Keenan

Ed Byrne
    Tracey
    Furlong
    Toner
    Fardy
    JGP
    H Byrne
    JVDF

Can't see that team beating Munster, we're missing 10 starters between injury and resting players, a full strength Munster would surely turn them over.

Interesting to see what Munster do with their backrow. I think Stander and Beirne are both likely to miss out, given their 6 Nations minutes.

Missing their jackal threat, we could see Cloete getting the nod at 7. Other than that, I'd expect it to be some combination of POM, JOD and Coombes. (Most likely 6. POM, 7. JOD and 8. Coombes I would imagine).

If Earls misses out as well, I'd expect it to be something pretty close to this. Tho I'd be hard pushed to know who they'll go with at hooker.

1. Cronin
    2. Scannell
    3. Archer
    4. Kleyn
    5. Holland
    6. POM
    7. Cloete
    8. Coombes
    9. Murray
    10. Carbery
    11. Daly
    12. DDA
    13. Farrell
    14. Conway
    15. Haley

At the risk of sounding flippant. I'd love it if Munster played Cloete.

His turnover stats are mostly a quantity over quality effect. He concedes a lot of completely unnecessary penalties and if I were picking the team, he wouldn't be near my 15 on a big occasion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Surely Stander will play? Like, IRFU won't care what he does, and to win his last game against Leinster and finally pick up a medal too, he'll surely be dying to get involved.

A Munster back-row of Stander, POM and Coombes is a lot better than anything involving Cloete.

At the risk of sounding flippant. I'd love it if Munster played Cloete.

His turnover stats are mostly a quantity over quality effect. He concedes a lot of completely unnecessary penalties and if I were picking the team, he wouldn't be near my 15 on a big occasion

I think that's fair, tbh. He has seemed a little better this year, but he definitely still gives away too many. The flip side is he's top of the turnover charts too tho, and Munster went after the breakdown pretty effectively the last day.

Surely Stander will play? Like, IRFU won't care what he does, and to win his last game against Leinster and finally pick up a medal too, he'll surely be dying to get involved.

A Munster back-row of Stander, POM and Coombes is a lot better than anything involving Cloete.

It's substantially better alright, but CJ played all but 17 minutes in the 6 Nations, and even that was against Italy. I'd love to see him involved, but I've a feeling he may not be.

That was supposed to be me agreeing with you on the point. But I appreciate the ambiguity of how I typed it lol.

What Bayern has said.

I think Henshaw ROL is the center partnership.

It occurred to me there that while it's all well and good to manage players minutes etc as there is a huge chunk of big games coming up - it's also very feasible that there are 2 games left for Leinster this season.

Let's get the big boys out and performing and make sure we're playing more than 2 games

id love to see henshaw starting, hes in the form of his life and he would give DDA a torrid time.

however hes played 5 out of 5 in the 6N... and ever minute bar 18

if anyone is going to be forced rested its him.

Leinster

Dooley
    Cronin
    Porter
    Moloney
    Baird
    ruddock
    Penny
    Conan
    Luke Mc Grath
    Ross byrne
    DK
    Frawley
    ROL
    Lowe
    Keenan

Ed Byrne
    Tracey
    Furlong
    Toner
    Fardy
    JGP
    H Byrne
    JVDF

Leinster are going much stronger than that. see team I posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is a Final. None of the top players should be sitting in the stands.

If the Irish squad boys have to play every weekend until July, so be it, thats what they're paid for. But of course they won't be, but this is the peak of the season, crunch time, so release the hounds.

For our part, Leinster should be:

Keenan, Kearney, ROL, Henshaw, Lowe, Sexton, JGP, Ed, Kelleher, Furlong, Fardy, Toner, Ruddock, VdF, Conan

Healy, Cronin, Porter, Baird, Penny, McGrath, Ross B, Larmour.

No messing, no fooling, get out there and smash them.

Toulon will take care of itself. And even if we get a few knocks ahead of that game, look at that bench to come in to the XV. We'll smash them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

533f33.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

On one hand I don't want Leinster to win because that'll mean Leinster winning four in a row
    On the other hand I don't want Munster to win because I won't get to say as a Connacht fan we have won silverware more recently then them anymore

It's tough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Should be a humdinger for the neutrals ar aon nós.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,210 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Should be a humdinger for the neutrals ar aon nós.

It probably won't be really.

These games are usually high on intensity but lacking in quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Clegg wrote: »
    It probably won't be really.

These games are usually high on intensity but lacking in quality.

The restart game back in August was a belter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement