Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit Strategy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

tom1ie wrote: »
    So as long as the Eu keep propping up our government by lending money, what we see now is our strategy going forward.

it would likely be our strategy going forward regardless as it's the least risky and least damaging one unfortunately.

GOING for herd immunity is immoral

and that's the least of it's problems.
    along with the payback being nill for much much higher risks to everything over all.
    which shows really it is a ridiculous strategy which barely any country is attempting, even the fabled sweeden.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    They were talking about a 3rd one this morning. The fix is definitely in. Its crazy how the Irish are willing to roll over and let Ireland be destroyed by these traitors.

destroyed? hardly.
    the country is mostly working away, only small low contributing parts are suffering but at least it will be temporary.
    if we had threw open the doors as people like you want chances are the damage would be permanent and for a lot more.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

GazzaL wrote: »
    The most realistic exit strategy is that the public won't play along with the utter nonsense being touted by NPHET and will just get on with life regardless. NPHET have no strategy, never mind an exit strategy. They will just call for lockdowns ad infinitum.

Today marks exactly 5 months since I posted this. It also happens to be my most thanked post.

It's as true now as it was back then. I wish it wasn't.

Thankfully, an increasing majority of people see the situation for what it is.

Visit friends and family, have a BBQ, have a few drinks, enjoy the good weather, go to the beach, go somewhere scenic, whatever floats your boat.

It's time to get rid of the snakes.

Have a great St. Patrick's Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Today marks exactly 5 months since I posted this. It also happens to be my most thanked post.

Visit friends and family, have a BBQ, have a few drinks, enjoy the good weather, go to the beach, go somewhere scenic, whatever floats your boat.

Any prediction for the next five months?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Just because people agree with you does not make something true. And expecting anyone to come up with an exit strategy for a pandemic is not very realistic, just as expecting to return to the old normal after a life changing event is.

And as evidenced on a daily basis most people take the minimum risk necessary to get on with life rather than the maximum allowed. Unfortunately there are some self centered people around who don’t seem to have any qualms about putting their friends and community at risk for no good reason other than selfishness.

Now just like everyone else you have no idea of the long term consequences of having had this virus are. And taking unnecessary risks when a solution is at hand does not seem to be very smart.

So go visit friends, have that BBQ etc but don’t be under any illusions that you’re doing the right thing or that you’re behavior is acceptable to the community at large.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Any prediction for the next five months?

More and more people will ignore the restrictions, hundreds of thousands of people are already done with them. NPHET and the Government will drag their heels, but ultimately they will be dragged back to reality because they will be swimming against the tide.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Just because people agree with you does not make something true. And expecting anyone to come up with an exit strategy for a pandemic is not very realistic, just as expecting to return to the old normal after a life changing event is.

And as evidenced on a daily basis most people take the minimum risk necessary to get on with life rather than the maximum allowed. Unfortunately there are some self centered people around who don’t seem to have any qualms about putting their friends and community at risk for no good reason other than selfishness.

Now just like everyone else you have no idea of the long term consequences of having had this virus are. And taking unnecessary risks when a solution is at hand does not seem to be very smart.

So go visit friends, have that BBQ etc but don’t be under any illusions that you’re doing the right thing or that you’re behavior is acceptable to the community at large.

The UK have an exit strategy. They've published a plan with set milestones and dates to return to normality. You might not like it, but there's no need to tell blatant lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,091 ✭✭✭prunudo

Unfortunately a lot has happened in those 5 months. We are in a far better place now than 10 weeks ago but are we better than when you posted your initial post, probably but I don't know.

There is only so long that nphet can command the room, a lot people have now become weary of their constant concern, whether its 6k cases or 400 cases a day. This is obvious with the movement of people, they've made their own risk assessment and are they're now willing to visit friends or family.

I had said before that the public will give it till March 5th and after that any further compliance would be based on good will, that is now baring fruit and I believe the same will happen after April 5th. The big question is at what point businesses will starting pushing the boundaries.

The government and NPHET could have solved a lot of problems by simply allowing some small freedoms such as scrapping the 5km and allowing click and collect etc.

But they gave nothing and lost people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Look at the likes counter. Your post was the rational and reasonable position at the time and it remains that way now. It is demonstrable that those advocating for authoritarian societal and economic shutdown are unhinged in a significant way, as the doom mongering, curtain twitching, hysterical, knuckle dragging counter posts to your post have shown us.

Tony Holohan is inept and the behaviour with his dying wife displays his awful traits as a human. If I was him, I would have resigned properly to be with her full time and not try to get back to work ASAP. It is an arrogant, toxic controlling personality he has shown and I detest him. The honorable thing would have been to just step down and I would not begrudge him for it. What is frustrating is that ordinarily I would not have to deal with these toxic ***** in life but the pandemic has made them prominent and impactful to my life which makes the hate particularly strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,831 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

GazzaL wrote:

Twud hardly overwhelm the health system, would it?

Tony Holohan is inept and the behaviour with his dying wife displays his awful traits as a human. If I was him, I would have resigned properly to be with her full time and not try to get back to work ASAP. It is an arrogant, toxic controlling personality he has shown and I detest him.

....or could it be seen that hes a person with incredible strength, that was able to pick himself up from dreadful pain and grief, and go straight back to work, during a serious health crisis......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ....or could it be seen that hes a person with incredible strength, that was able to pick himself up from dreadful pain and grief, and go straight back to work, during a serious health crisis......

Unfortunately the Cervical Check scandal does not provide him with the the benefit of the doubt.

Unfortunately the Cervical Check scandal does not provide him with the the benefit of the doubt.

That is fair enough i guess, but organisational fcuk ups are exactly that, but he certainly should have dealt with it better

It’s a real mess we find ourselves in. NPHET earn 6 figure salaries and their only remit is Covid. Their only solution so far has been severe lockdown until there is a vaccine and most of the country are vaccinated.

It was up to our elected leaders in government to look at the full picture. But they got absolutely annihilated by the media and hysteria brigade any time they dared go against NPHET.

So now we have a situation were nobody wants responsibility while the country crashes and burns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

The exit strategy is simple. It mirrors the current stance that the government takes with all of its major decision making. Dither, defer and refer the issue to their imperial masters in Brussels. The only thing that will save this country from a deep recession will be the EU formalising its own exit strategy. Ireland will then be shamed into falling in line and our politicians will have something to hang their hats on.

prunudo wrote: »
    Unfortunately a lot has happened in those 5 months. We are in a far better place now than 10 weeks ago but are we better than when you posted your initial post, probably but I don't know.

There is only so long that nphet can command the room, a lot people have now become weary of their constant concern, whether its 6k cases or 400 cases a day. This is obvious with the movement of people, they've made their own risk assessment and are they're now willing to visit friends or family.

I had said before that the public will give it till March 5th and after that any further compliance would be based on good will, that is now baring fruit and I believe the same will happen after April 5th. The big question is at what point businesses will starting pushing the boundaries.

Businesses are starting the push the boundaries now as well. One business that I heard had been shut down by the Gardaí have announced today that they are open for business from tomorrow. Not naming names, but they are a very well known business, particularly in Dublin.

It’s a real mess we find ourselves in. NPHET earn 6 figure salaries and their only remit is Covid. Their only solution so far has been severe lockdown until there is a vaccine and most of the country are vaccinated.

It was up to our elected leaders in government to look at the full picture. But they got absolutely annihilated by the media and hysteria brigade any time they dared go against NPHET.

So now we have a situation were nobody wants responsibility while the country crashes and burns.

havent been outside much today yet, whats happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

First of all, thanks for reviving my long-dormant thread:p
    More and more people will ignore the restrictions, hundreds of thousands of people are already done with them. NPHET and the Government will drag their heels, but ultimately they will be dragged back to reality because they will be swimming against the tide.

The kind of quiet, under-the-radar disregard of restrictions will not cause the government to repeal; that's not how these things work. The only effect that will have is to maintain the spread of the virus at moderately high levels, thereby postponing the sunstantial opening up of society until there is mass vaccination.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Tony Holohan is inept and the behaviour with his dying wife displays his awful traits as a human. If I was him, I would have resigned properly to be with her full time and not try to get back to work ASAP.

Mod: Don't even think of taking the conversation in that direction again.

First of all, thanks for reviving my long-dormant thread:p

The kind of quiet, under-the-radar disregard of restrictions will not cause the government to repeal; that's not how these things work. The only effect that will have is to maintain the spread of the virus at moderately high levels, thereby postponing the sunstantial opening up of society until there is mass vaccination.

People have been given your message for over a year. Increasingly large numbers of people no longer buy into that narrative and are deciding to ignore the restrictions. There is no going backwards now.

People have been given your message for over a year. Increasingly large numbers of people no longer buy into that narrative and are deciding to ignore the restrictions. There is no going backwards now.

My point is this kind of quiet 'ignoring' will not cause the government to actually lift the restrictions. What might do that would be mass, open defiance of them by pub owners, hairdressers etc., and there's very sign of that that I'm aware of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ElektroToad

All the business groups and associations need to start ramping up the pressure big time on this limp-wristed Govt. It's the only credible voice that cannot be dis-regarded by mainstream media as far-right / left nutjobs.

They've all held up their end of the bargain. But after a year of restrictions, there is no such thing as "non-essential trips or businesses". Everything is essential by now. People are ready to live again. No more pretending.

I also find it pathetic that no one in authority is having an honest conversation about the likely economic cost of these restrictions. This **** ain't free. The UK had their Budget announcement a few weeks ago and they were quite blunt about the need to start raising taxes to plug the hole in their public finances...

All the business groups and associations need to start ramping up the pressure big time on this limp-wristed Govt. It's the only credible voice that cannot be dis-regarded by mainstream media as far-right / left nutjobs.

They've all held up their end of the bargain. But after a year of restrictions, there is no such thing as "non-essential trips or businesses". Everything is essential by now. People are ready to live again. No more pretending.

I also find it pathetic that no one in authority is having an honest conversation about the likely economic cost of these restrictions. This **** ain't free. The UK had their Budget announcement a few weeks ago and they were quite blunt about the need to start raising taxes to plug the hole in their public finances...

theres no need to actually do this, but since we continually elect fiscal conservatives, its very likely to occur

The government and NPHET could have solved a lot of problems by simply allowing some small freedoms such as scrapping the 5km and allowing click and collect etc.

But they gave nothing and lost people

they would have had some people not run amuck at christmas meaning we ended up with the highest rate of cases in the world afterwords.
    the only people they have "lost" are the minority they never really had.
    the majority of us are winning this and people like you have lost, as it should be.
    no government was ever going to give in to people like yourself as it would be dangerous.

lock down has been proven to be the only solution and countries who have engaged in it have been proven correct.
    nphet are the national public health emergency team, therefore their focus was going to be public health during a major emergency.
    the government looked at the full picture and decided what you wanted would have failed so badly that it would have been beyond dangerous, so they listened to the experts mostly, and when they deviated, eventually realised the experts were right.
    there is no hysteria brigade, it's a myth.
    Businesses are starting the push the boundaries now as well. One business that I heard had been shut down by the Gardaí have announced today that they are open for business from tomorrow. Not naming names, but they are a very well known business, particularly in Dublin.

and they will be shut down either by the end of the day, or the next day.
    and because they have refused to obey the instructions of a garda ultimately, they will probably be in actual trouble this time.

the government are not going to give in to the minority who think the restrictions don't apply to them.
    it's not going to happen, no matter how much you want it, because if they give in on this, those people will push the boundaries further on other issues.

My point is this kind of quiet 'ignoring' will not cause the government to actually lift the restrictions. What might do that would be mass, open defiance of them by pub owners, hairdressers etc., and there's very sign of that that I'm aware of.

even if that did happen, large fines for every day open with an actual willingness to collect will soften the cough of probably enough of them.

given they will be attempting to hold the country back from actually getting out of this whole thing, then absolutely they can disregarded as whatever not only by the main stream media but by the government.
    there is every such thing as non-essential stuff while covid remains a public health issue.
    the economic costs of the restrictions are likely nothing compared to the economic cost of uncontrolled covid, i can absolutely bet that conversation took place at the start, during the middle and will do so at the end.

they would have had some people not run amuck at christmas meaning we ended up with the highest rate of cases in the world afterwords.
    the only people they have "lost" are the minority they never really had.
    the majority of us are winning this and people like you have lost, as it should be.
    no government was ever going to give in to people like yourself as it would be dangerous.

lock down has been proven to be the only solution and countries who have engaged in it have been proven correct.
    nphet are the national public health emergency team, therefore their focus was going to be public health during a major emergency.
    the government looked at the full picture and decided what you wanted would have failed so badly that it would have been beyond dangerous, so they listened to the experts mostly, and when they deviated, eventually realised the experts were right.
    there is no hysteria brigade, it's a myth.

and they will be shut down either by the end of the day, or the next day.
    and because they have refused to obey the instructions of a garda ultimately, they will probably be in actual trouble this time.

the government are not going to give in to the minority who think the restrictions don't apply to them.
    it's not going to happen, no matter how much you want it, because if they give in on this, those people will push the boundaries further on other issues.

Your whole post smacks of desperation.

The business in question has learned their lesson the first time and they will not be shut down again.

It's as clear as day that increasing numbers of people have had enough of being locked down, being talked down to, being repeatedly blamed for spreading COVID (while NPHET are apparently infallible), being unable to see family and friends, being unable to earn a living, being unable to travel further than 5km from their homes, etc.

You can't deny the will of the people. "Lockdown forever" is not, and never has been, an acceptable solution. If you want to stay in lockdown mode, nobody has a problem with that, but it's outrageous to demand everyone else gives up their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    theres no need to actually do this, but since we continually elect fiscal conservatives, its very likely to occur

That's nonsense. We have borrowed around 50 billion to paper over this covid crisis. This is on top of the billions borrowed as a result of the 2008 crash.

We have to re pay this money and we might get away without tax increases or service reductions in the October budget we wont have that luxury in october 2022.

This is not free money from the magic money tree.

RGS wrote: »
    That's nonsense. We have borrowed around 50 billion to paper over this covid crisis. This is on top of the billions borrowed as a result of the 2008 crash.

We have to re pay this money and we might get away without tax increases or service reductions in the October budget we wont have that luxury in october 2022.

This is not free money from the magic money tree.

It's truly amazing that the pro lockdown crowd still claim that it's free money while our neighbours in the UK are openly talking about the hundreds of billions it has cost them! They're increasing their corporation tax to pay for it.

Bare-faced lies and ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Your whole post smacks of desperation.

The business in question has learned their lesson the first time and they will not be shut down again.

It's as clear as day that increasing numbers of people have had enough of being locked down, being talked down to, being repeatedly blamed for spreading COVID (while NPHET are apparently infallible), being unable to see family and friends, being unable to earn a living, being unable to travel further than 5km from their homes, etc.

You can't deny the will of the people. "Lockdown forever" is not, and never has been, an acceptable solution. If you want to stay in lockdown mode, nobody has a problem with that, but it's outrageous to demand everyone else gives up their lives.

Agreed.

Lockdown till herd immunity is achieved through vaccination is not an exit strategy. That's a delaying tactic but it appears to be NPHETS strategy without any government push back.

It's clear from the noises from Martin, Harris, nolan and glynn they are not going to give us any relaxation of restrictions on April 5.

even if that did happen, large fines for every day open with an actual willingness to collect will soften the cough of probably enough of them.

Well the theory would be that if tens of thousands of them were doing it simultaeously it would be effectively impossible to enforce the rules.

But we know that's never going to happen anyway because SME owners are about the last section of Irish society to engage in 'civil disobedience'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It's truly amazing that the pro lockdown crowd still claim that it's free money while our neighbours in the UK are openly talking about the hundreds of billions it has cost them! They're increasing their corporation tax to pay for it.

Bare-faced lies and ignorance.

Here is the thing unlike the UK, Ireland is a net exporter of high valued goods for over thirty years, it one of the things that enabled us to reduce debt from 124% to 58% in line with the likes of Germany, while the UK was stuck at 84%.

So while it’s not free money, it’s not going to be a major hit either.

Advertisement