Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Actors

Options

Comments

growleaves wrote: »
    Leaving Las Vegas, Raising Arizona, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

The ROCK.

Sandra Bullock. She always looks like a deer caught in the headlights. Can't stand her.

Ryan Gosling. Completely expressionless, which worked fairly well for his role as a replicant in Blade Runner I suppose, but terrible for everything else.

Bullock is great. An actor doesn’t have to be an Oscar winner for me to be good. Charisma counts for a lot. Like Bill Paxton as someone mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Irish94

Daniel Radcliffe. As soon as the poor boy reached puberty his acting was notably diabolical.

I am not the biggest Harry Potter fan at all but the films became unwatchable from the Goblet of Fire onwards, single handily, because of his atrocious expressions and acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I don't know the chaps name, but this is something else.

I really want to see this now. What is it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

How these threads go:
    Original post
    Absurd answer
    Several dozen posts about absurd answer

:p

There's a similar thread in the Literature forum, bursting with similar stupid suggestions. People love being controversial just to get a reaction!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Yes, I just think the delivery of her lines is very amateur, almost like watching a pantomime actor. Theres no conviction in her voice I find...

I've only seen Shelley Duvall in The Shining but I'd be curious to see other performances from her as a comparison to The Shining.

I think the whole point is that her character is very meek which may come across as poor acting. Given how obsessive Kubrick was with detail, I doubt he would have been happy with Duvall unless she was giving the exact type of performance he wanted.

And of course she was subjected to a lot of emotional manipulation by Kubrick behind the scenes which is bound to affect the performance.

Jackie Chan. Then again english is a second language for him and he is so likeable and such a great martial artist that you don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Tom Cruise . Has the man acted in a film in the last twenty years? He just plays Tom Cruise in all his movies (maybe that's an act as well :))

Terrible actor either way.

Hugh Grant

"I..I...I. I'm so terribly sorry to ask this, but I find you quite attractive and, apologies for being so forthright, but it would mean the world to me if.....if you would be so kind as to have dinner with me" - *swoon*

**** off Hugh, in real life the girl would prefer to go off with a guy who can string a sentence together. Although he was pretty good in that recent thing with Nicole kidman to be fair

Another ridiculous call. People seem to think that this thread is about excellent actors, who for some reason, they don't like.

Hugh Grant is a superb actor. He should have won awards for his role in Paddington 2. And he was excellent in Cloud Atlas and as the sleezy Paparazzi in The Gentlemen. But if you want to see a textbook, top tier piece of acting where the actor plays a real person, watch him in A Very English Scandal, where he plays disgraced politician Jeremy Thorpe. He was so good at portraying Thorpe, that Thorpe's real life victim Norman Scott said that he started shaking uncontrollably when he saw him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Early days but James Galdonfini’s young lad is showing signs of being benefactor of nepotism rather than a possessor of talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Bullock is great. An actor doesn’t have to be an Oscar winner for me to be good. Charisma counts for a lot. Like Bill Paxton as someone mentioned earlier.
    I agree but Bullock doesn't have an ounce of charisma in my opinion. I think she's dreadful in everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Shelly Duvall is excellent in quite a few films, including several from the great Robert Altman.

I think there are exceedingly few successful modern actors who are actively ‘bad’. With the right collaborators, most well-known performers can do something good or great. Adam Sandler is often insufferable, but can turn in stunning performances such as those in Uncut Gems or Punch Drunk Love. Robert Pattinson and Kirsten Stewart were criticised as wooden and one-note in Twilight, and have gone on to be two of the most acclaimed actors of their generation (with good cause). Given the right project, there are few who can’t do a good job. The problems mostly come when an actor gets lazy, apathetic or picks terrible projects - like Bruce Willis in recent years.

Titanic Predator 2 The Terminator A Simple Plan True Lies A Bright Shining Lie etc etc. He was brilliant.
    Don't forget Frailty. He directed it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I've only seen Shelley Duvall in The Shining but I'd be curious to see other performances from her as a comparison to The Shining.

I think the whole point is that her character is very meek which may come across as poor acting. Given how obsessive Kubrick was with detail, I doubt he would have been happy with Duvall unless she was giving the exact type of performance he wanted.

And of course she was subjected to a lot of emotional manipulation by Kubrick behind the scenes which is bound to affect the performance.
    She was pretty awful in that but Robert Altmann liked her and cast her in Nashville, McCabe and Mrs Miller, 3 Women and Thieves Like Us. She was in Annie Hall and Roxanne too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Thread is now

Actors I don't like

Shelly Duvall is excellent in quite a few films, including several from the great Robert Altman.

Don't forget he seminal role as Pansy in Time Bandits! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭trashcan

I have three. David Caruso (CSI) Leo from Fair City and Dev from Coronation St. someone needs to give them a show together. It would be epically bad :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

Dobbytoes wrote: »
    Another ridiculous call. People seem to think that this thread is about excellent actors, who for some reason, they don't like.

Hugh Grant is a superb actor. He should have won awards for his role in Paddington 2. And he was excellent in Cloud Atlas and as the sleezy Paparazzi in The Gentlemen. But if you want to see a textbook, top tier piece of acting where the actor plays a real person, watch him in A Very English Scandal, where he plays disgraced politician Jeremy Thorpe. He was so good at portraying Thorpe, that Thorpe's real life victim Norman Scott said that he started shaking uncontrollably when he saw him.

Spot on.

Hugh Grant is the British Matthew McConaughey, everyone called him **** until True Detective came along, and then the Oscar for Dallas Buyers Club.

Hugh has taken some great roles along the past 5 years and I genuinely think we could be seeing some even better things in the next 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Hockney

Bill Pullman.
    Initially didn't think he was noticeably bad in Independence day but watched a whole series of The Sinner and he was absolutely cat.

Looking back on it he was cat in Independence Day too

trashcan wrote: »
    I have three. David Caruso (CSI) Leo from Fair City and Dev from Coronation St. someone needs to give them a show together. It would be epically bad :D

I'd actually WATCH that!!!!!!....... dev & Leo as a couple of likeable fools inadvertently rip off the biggest drug kingpin in the city ( caruso) & go on the run--- c'mon youd HAVE to watch it!!!! I see " cult classic" written all over this

• Advertisement

Hockney wrote: »
    Bill Pullman.
    Initially didn't think he was noticeably bad in Independence day but watched a whole series of The Sinner and he was absolutely cat.

Looking back on it he was cat in Independence Day too

Couldn't agree more.....the Sinner was a 'gift' role for 99% of actors.....Pullman ruined it

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Sakana

Natascha McElhone

• Registered Users Posts: 85,234 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tzardine wrote: »
    Has anybody mentioned Colin Farrell yet?

No he is a decent actor given the right role Intermission In Bruges and The Gentleman to name a few

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Tom Cruise . Has the man acted in a film in the last twenty years? He just plays Tom Cruise in all his movies (maybe that's an act as well :))

Terrible actor either way.

American made was a great movie , he should do more like that

What about Bono's young one in ' behind her eyes'?????
    I dont see any oscar nominations acoming

He NAILED IT as Jerry Maguire

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    An actor i have enjoyed over the years but is highly criticised. profile cast in his roles as a tatt'd mexi hardnut.

TREJO
    To be fair he is a tatt'd mexi hardnut.

But the reason he plays the same character in Spy Kids and Machete is because it's the same character in the same universe.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Edge of Tomorrow was quite good as well I thought.

Tom wouldn’t be an Oscar winner in my eyes, but he’s a reliable enough actor and puts in the graft on his movies.
    Definitely does not belong on this list (in my opinion).

Same with Colin Farrel, solid enough, and certainly wouldn’t turn me off a movie...
    I like that now he keeps his Irish accent in a lot of his movies lately...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Clint Eastwood. Never got him at all

"More than an actor, I needed a mask, and Eastwood, at that time, only had two expressions: with hat and no hat.”.
    - Sergio Leone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Say what you like about Tom Cruise, he knows how to do a good action movie.

Advertisement