Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Actors

Options

Comments

I've seen them. But he doesn't bring anything to them. You could replace him with a WWF star or get someone off a Scandinavian police series. For action movies you just need someone competent who won't distract from the action.

Ok. So he didn’t put you off those movies then. Cool.

And you kinda need stars for movies, they attract people. Could someone else do Mission Impossible? Sure. Would the box office be the same. Not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Andie MacDowell. She is just blessed she picked great comedies in Four Weddings and Groundhog Day.

'Ready or Not' arguably her best role though ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

One of the best out there in my opinion.

Brilliant in anything I’ve seen her in.

Thor - brilliant as Hella
    The Aviator - brilliant as Catherine Hepburn

She was the best thing about the utter sh1tshow that was Indiana Jones 4.

Agreed surely the worst shout on this thread.

One of the most versatile actors there is, As you hint an actor who can even elevate some the duds she's been in. 'Pushing Tin' springs to mind she had no business putting in a shift for that clanger.

Fantastic in Mrs. America and Carol in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Ha cage is amazing in vampires kiss
    A captivating and totally bonkers performance in the remake of The Wicker Man as well :D
    I enjoyed those National Treasure films too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Lately I have been randomly selecting a year and a genre and then picking a movie from it, I was doing the 80's/90's but most are sooo cheesy bad, I am now focusing mainly on the 70's and very early 80's.

Charlie Sheen... I knew he was bad, but the other night I watched The Rookie.. My decision maker. The dialogue is terrible in general to be fair, but his acting is worse. But I can't help recommending that people watch it, knowing it's that bad.

One of the scenes..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZkuHQdFq3E

"C'Mon Mother Fugga's!!" - "Let's get hot" :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

one man towers over everyone else in the " bad actor " stakes

Vin Diesel

he speaks in exactly the same tone in every single scene

Homelander wrote: »
    Casper Van Dien.

Won't hear a bad word about Nic Cage though. No matter how low he sinks, he really gives it his all. So many terrible movies that are strangely compelling due to his unhinged performance.

Can't remember the name but watched one recently where his dead wife was reincarnated in his girlfriend's teenage daughters body. It was so unbelivably awful, yet brilliant, due to his unhinged performance.

ive rarely not watched anything through with Cage in it , great screen presence even its dogsh1t on the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Daniel overact Lewis

Probably the greatest of all time. Could even play you someday in My Left Foot 2.

Macdarack wrote: »
    Denzel Washington, just don't like him maybe, seems to play the same character everytime,
    Probably get bashed for that one but just needed to say it.

he raises the quality of any old crap by just being in it , incredible charisma

chewed wrote: »
    Sean Connery. Truly awful actor

but a truly fantastic movie star , like clint eastwood , he doesnt have much range but it doesnt really matter

roger moore was a dreadful actor but i still liked him in bond

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,581 ✭✭✭billyhead

I mentioned Cruise a few pages back saying he hadn't actually acted in the last twenty years so i looked up his film list since 2001 and there is a hell of a lot of films where he's just Tom Cruise in it and I'd have to say Collateral is one of the very few movies where i would say he was alright in.
    Maybe that's more down to Collateral being a good film, likewise I enjoyed American Made an enjoyable film.
    But Cruise is a mega star and gets paid the very top dollar so judging him as someone who is supposedly at the very top pinnacle of his profession, nay sorry a good actor he is not.

He was great in born on the 4th of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

billyhead wrote: »
    He was great in born on the 4th of July.

And should have won an Oscar for Magnolia, a truly stunning performance. He also gives a better performance than Hoffman in Rain Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Jack Nicholson...
    Sorry i was thinking of best or likely favourite...

He has some great performances but you can tell a lot of it is just his natural character

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think Aiden Gillen is truly atrocious and wooden in every single thing he's in. I can't understand how he keeps finding work.

chewed wrote: »
    Sean Connery. Truly awful actor

Connery gets a lot of unfair criticism I think. He made a genuine attempt to break away from the Bond typecasting. Like the no nonsense prohibition cop he played in the Untouchables and Indiana Jones's bungling dad. These were nothing like Bond. At least he made an effort outside of Bond, unlike Roger Moore or Pierce Brosnan

Robert Robford. Thought he was very bland when he was at his most popular but seemed to put in a bit more effort in his later years in smaller low budget films. "All is lost" is a good example

Leonardo DiCaprio. He seems to have only 2 modes - really angry or really crazy. But when he does them, he does them well

Raising Arizona
    Snake Eyes
    Con Air
    The Rock

Lord of War
    Leaving Las Vegas
    Bad Lieutenant
    Matchstick Men

Loads of them TBH.

:confused:

Oink wrote: »
    Actors who’ve stopped acting. Like De Niro. He just comes over, does his Italian gangster shtick and leaves.

I was amazed when I saw the King of Comedy, the most un-deniro thing he's ever done. It's a shame he got too comfortable with the hard man act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Tarah04

And should have won an Oscar for Magnolia, a truly stunning performance. He also gives a better performance than Hoffman in Rain Man.

Yis are forgetting his great part in Interview With The Vampire lads. Ye missed that one.

You're welcome ☺️ :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

There seems to be a bit of confusion, when people go to see a Vin Diesel film they want Vin Diesel mumbling and smashing cars, same for Gerard Butler, film goers arent looking for a version of The Merchant of Venice, the want grunts and explosions

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

crazy 88 wrote: »
    Connery gets a lot of unfair criticism I think. He made a genuine attempt to break away from the Bond typecasting. Like the no nonsense prohibition cop he played in the Untouchables and Indiana Jones's bungling dad. These were nothing like Bond. At least he made an effort outside of Bond, unlike Roger Moore or Pierce Brosnan

Roger Moore made some decent movies outside of Bond: The Man who Haunted Himself, The Wild Geese, Gold, The Sea Wolves, North Sea Hijack.

Pierce Brosnan did Mrs Doubtfire, The Tailor of Panama, The Lawnmower Man, of and not forgetting Mamma Mia!

Wedwood wrote: »
    Pierce Brosnan did Mrs Doubtfire, The Tailor of Panama, The Lawnmower Man, of and not forgetting Mamma Mia!

I think he's actually playing James Bond in these two.

The other two, I presume you are throwing in for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Nicholas Cage.

Brilliant in Raising Arizona. Utterly awful in pretty much everything else he’s ever been in.

Very good in

Red Rock West
    Wild at Heart
    Knowing
    Bad Lieutenant
    Leaving Las Vegas (Oscar winning)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

So we have Daniel Day Lewis, Robert Redford, Clint Eastwood, Robert De niro and Al Pachino all mentioned in a thread about bad actors. I'll name a few others, Gene Hackman, Marlon Brando, Anthony Hopkins and Paul Newman. Am I doing it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Danny Dyer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭littlevillage

How is Jason Statham not all over this b1tch?

If he's in a film, I refuse to watch it. Simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,581 ✭✭✭billyhead

Steven Seagal.

There seems to be a bit of confusion, when people go to see a Vin Diesel film they want Vin Diesel mumbling and smashing cars, same for Gerard Butler, film goers arent looking for a version of The Merchant of Venice, the want grunts and explosions

Yes but Vin Diesel doesn't even have any range in his speaking voice , he'd be awful at anything which requires speech

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

crazy 88 wrote: »
    :confused:

Yup. And you can add Face/Off to that list too.

They're fun hammy action films and they are great for that. I'm not always in the mood for serous cinema.

Advertisement