Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    I feel the city as a whole is only reaching a fraction of its potential due to poor infrastructure. City Council are holding it back big time.

The council can only do what they can afford to do. Development at Salthill would be at the expense of the city-centre, and in a time of rising sea levels planning should be starting towards managed retreat from the coastline, not increased development there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The council can only do what they can afford to do. Development at Salthill would be at the expense of the city-centre, and in a time of rising sea levels planning should be starting towards managed retreat from the coastline, not increased development there.

Good point about the rising sea levels but that will affect much of the city too. I wonder where the money spend in the city has gone? It isn't visible in improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,881 ✭✭✭✭zell12

qHHD7fm.png

zell12 wrote: »
    qHHD7fm.png

Scary stuff, wont help property prices in those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

qHHD7fm.png

Are we saying Salthill is going to be under water so therefore there shouldn't be any infrastructural developments there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭ratracer

The prom has gone green for the next few days...

https://twitter.com/ZhangChaosheng/status/1370878735319236613?s=19

https://twitter.com/GalwayPlayer/status/1370826023479181319?s=19

Anyone know are those new prom lights some type of RGB LED or did they just put a filter over them?

I seen these lights for the first time last night, and although they are a nice attraction, they really remove so much light along the prom that I would describe them as dangerous! Have a look at the difference in ambient light along Grattan Road or Salthill village and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Are we saying Salthill is going to be under water so therefore there shouldn't be any infrastructural developments there?

Diving boards, marinas and floating hotels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

qHHD7fm.png

lol

ratracer wrote: »
    I seen these lights for the first time last night, and although they are a nice attraction, they really remove so much light along the prom that I would describe them as dangerous! Have a look at the difference in ambient light along Grattan Road or Salthill village and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Yeah saw them in person last night. Very dark alright. Also it seemed the LEDs themselves can be set green rather than a filter. Maybe flashing red when there's a coastal weather or flood warning? :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

qHHD7fm.png

That shows a lot of land upstream of the weir flooded. Land that has not flooded since the weir was built. It would take a sea level rise of several meters to flood above the weir, in which case a lot more of Galway city would be uninhabitable.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    That shows a lot of land upstream of the weir flooded. Land that has not flooded since the weir was built. It would take a sea level rise of several meters to flood above the weir, in which case a lot more of Galway city would be uninhabitable.

If the heavy rain couldn't flow to sea as easily then it could back up?

We're thinking of investing in a seaside property in Tirellan before the prices soar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Yeah saw them in person last night. Very dark alright. Also it seemed the LEDs themselves can be set green rather than a filter. Maybe flashing red when there's a coastal weather or flood warning? :-)

The LED's are still white, you could see the white through some of the cover / filter on some of them.

saabsaab wrote: »
    If the heavy rain couldn't flow to sea as easily then it could back up?

No. The sea would have to rise several metres before there would be no gradient or fall at the weir, at which point water might start to back up. Even in a big flood coinciding with a high tide if you stand and watch the weir you will see the difference in height.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Zzippy wrote: »
    That shows a lot of land upstream of the weir flooded. Land that has not flooded since the weir was built.
    Was the Dyke on the Dyke Road built around same time?

I remember doing a local Castle tour around Menlo/Headford with a local historian a few years ago and he was telling us that the Corrib River went as far inland as Castlegar Castle - which does correlate to the above Map that zell12 posts.

Was the Dyke on the Dyke Road built around same time?

I remember doing a local Castle tour around Menlo/Headford with a local historian a few years ago and he was telling us that the Corrib River went as far inland as Castlegar Castle - which does correlate to the above Map that zell12 posts.

The weir was built to regulate the level of Lough Corrib, and obviously the river. Before the drainage works, there would have been significant winter flooding upstream and around the Corrib alright, but the weir now allows the OPW to maintain the lake between specified levels to prevent flooding. Even in the 2009 flood which was exceptional the lake didn't get high enough to flood that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,181 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

We should be investing in boat taxis rather than bus corridors/ ring roads.

6 wrote: »

Galway the new Venice? Ca bhfuil mo Gondola?

6 wrote: »

It was tried... The Ballyvaughan Bay Hop fast ferry service between Galway and Clare.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057010992

saabsaab wrote: »
    Galway the new Venice? Ca bhfuil mo Gondola?

That's all very well, but who's going to feed it?

• Advertisement

There was about ten cars in the main car park opposite Eglinton Hotel this afternoon and a garda was trying to get them moved out or something
    How did the cars get in? Was the car park opened at any point?

There was about ten cars in the main car park opposite Eglinton Hotel this afternoon and a garda was trying to get them moved out or something
    How did the cars get in? Was the car park opened at any point?

They probably moved the cones. There's a line of cars parked up at the cones at CoCo cafe every morning and the cones are being removed all the time outside Ground & Co.

Could they tow them away? or Clamp

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭39steps

The carpark is officially opened for elderly patients receiving Covid vaccine at GP practice (Maretimo Medical) across the road. I used it when bringing my Dad there this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

Pretty sure there's a sign saying vaccination centre parking there, for the medical centre near the Eglinton. Perhaps they were policing that.

There appears to be a new concrete seafront plaza in Salthill, opposite the cinema.
    Full of kids playing, buskers, even people dancing in the glorious sunshine
    It used to be a storage space for private property, imagine that.

Better fill it with cars before people start drinking and pissing everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There appears to be a new concrete seafront plaza in Salthill, opposite the cinema.
    Full of kids playing, buskers, even people dancing in the glorious sunshine
    It used to be a storage space for private property, imagine that.

Under current regulations, citizens can meet with people from ONE other household.

So I'm not sure how a party plaza is justified.

'Twould be far better if they were spread out the length of the beach.

Better fill it with cars before people start drinking and pissing everywhere.

Toilets?

• Advertisement

KQNN6nj.jpg

Advertisement