Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭timmyntc

DaCor wrote: »
    I wouldn't see how. A standard disclaimer in every car park is "owners park at their own risk..... Not liable for any damage or loss to vehicle or property etc etc etc"

And dont they close off the other council car parks ahead of flooding?

Maybe the Salthill businesses are against paid parking. They probably don't want any limitation on the numbers parking up in Salthill.

They were able to block the cycle lane trial last year with a private meeting before the vote with apparently pro-cycle-lane councillors so they certainly seem to have control.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Maybe the Salthill businesses are against paid parking. They probably don't want any limitation on the numbers parking up in Salthill.

They were able to block the cycle lane trial last year with a private meeting before the vote with apparently pro-cycle-lane councillors so they certainly seem to have control.

Agree - thats where the pressure is alright. We pay rates ...... If the local Authority actually collected the LPT, that argument might be weakened I reckon. Huge amount of on-street car parking along the prom - the road is so wide that even installing the bi-directional cycle path on the prom - still can provide car parking for large stretch's of the Prom on the Salthilll side of the road.

I wouldn't see how. A standard disclaimer in every car park is "owners park at their own risk..... Not liable for any damage or loss to vehicle or property etc etc etc"

They are missing out so. So its just the main street in Salthill that has P & D?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Wait why are you guys in favour of taking away one of the few free places to park again? Is that seriously what Salthill needs in the long term once we're past the pandemic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wait why are you guys in favour of taking away one of the few free places to park again? Is that seriously what Salthill needs in the long term once we're past the pandemic?

You must have missed the memo, Cars Are Evil.

Apparently we will all ride bicycles (which don't need parking space) to visit Salthill if there are no carparks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

You must have missed the memo, Cars Are Evil.

Apparently we will all ride bicycles (which don't need parking space) to visit Salthill if there are no carparks.

I think taking the tram would also be acceptable, cos that's also so European and stuff...:D

Wait why are you guys in favour of taking away one of the few free places to park again?

There is no such thing as a free lunch! Somebody always pays.

It depends what you think is more important for Salthill

Space specifically for cars to park for free for an unlimited time

or

Space for people

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Wait why are you guys in favour of taking away one of the few free places to park again? ...
    Parking may be free to the motorist, because shoppers, business owners, and taxpayers are paying for it. An over-subsidised public space for storing private property

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Isn't that true for bike racks also? And the benches? And the playgrounds? And even the prom itself?
    If the free parking spots were to be removed, what would be put in their place?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭saabsaab

biko wrote: »
    Isn't that true for bike racks also? And the benches? And the playgrounds? And even the prom itself?

Cycle lanes, bus or tram corridor, new open air trading areas

Well if you can tell me how many bikes racks there are v's free parking spots down on the prom and how space they take up in comparison
    We can start at that point?
    Same goes for the space taken up by playgrounds vs car parking?
    How much are we looking at?

There will be still loads of free parking along the prom - we just need to put a fraction of it to better use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Galway city and Salthill isn't suited to car traffic anyway. Should be mainly public transport cycle lanes etc. At least have mainly one way traffic systems like Cork.

Since we are just speculating I suppose a pier like in Brighton would be nice, good for the tourism too.

The bulk of the car park should stay, even if the CC makes it pay/display.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

It depends what you think is more important for Salthill

Space specifically for cars to park for free for an unlimited time

or

Space for people

Are the former autonomous cars, or do they transport... people?

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Are the former autonomous cars, or do they transport... people?

While parked... no, they don't.

Would be interested to hear from sceptics to cycling infrastructure in Salthill on this...

Segregated cycling through Salthill would (IMO) create a great safe route connecting residential areas with Galway City and also Salthill.

Given a fixed width to allow for pedestrians, on-street parking and all the traffic lanes. What % do you think would be fair and appropriate to be dedicated to segregated cycling infrastructure?

Well if you can tell me how many bikes racks there are v's free parking spots down on the prom and how space they take up in comparison
    We can start at that point?

There will be still loads of free parking along the prom - we just need to put a fraction of it to better use.

Any response to this BIKO?

I don't know know how many bikes racks there are v's free parking spots down on the prom.
    There is no need for more bike racks and there is already playgrounds.
    Leave the parking area in front of Bailey as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I don't know know how many bikes racks there are v's free parking spots down on the prom.
    Leave the parking area in front of Bailey as it is.

You don't know how many bike racks there but you know there is no need for more? :confused:

Zzippy wrote: »
    You don't know how many bike racks there but you know there is no need for more? :confused:
    I'm there often and it seems to me the bike parking is sufficient*. Is it not?
    Do you not find rack space for your bike?

When I do drive there I find there is often no car parking spaces available.

*I don't see bikes thrown about anywhere except children's bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Bike parking is not sufficient, hence why Council have removed an on-road car parking space outside Centra/P.O. and installed stands, capable of holding 10 bikes
    10 bikes v. 1 car

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm there often and it seems to me the bike parking is sufficient*. Is it not?
    Do you not find rack space for your bike?

When I do drive there I find there is often no car parking spaces available.

*I don't see bikes thrown about anywhere except children's bikes.

With a young family, the rare occasions I get to the prom we drive. When the kids are older we will be cycling a lot more. But I can see past my self-interest and accept that assigning road space to parked cars that take up a lot of space at the expense of safe cycling infrastructure that could carry a lot more people is not a good use of public resources.

Important reminder that only a small proportion of the total parking spaces would be lost to provide a segregated cycle lane. The city council are to do a parking survey in Salthill this year.

There would also he a drop in demand for parking as Salthill would be more much accessible by active travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Playgrounds are of use to a very small subset if the population (kids age 2 until about 8). Cars are used by people of all ages.

It's perfectly appropriate to allocate public space for both of them. And to bicycle parking, too.

I don't know know how many bikes racks there are v's parking spots down on the prom.

Then what are you talking about then?
    Why are you comparing bike racks and playgrounds to car parking spaces then when you don't even how many of each of those there are.
    Were are all these playgrounds for starters down at the Prom?

It's perfectly appropriate to allocate public space for both of them. And to bicycle parking, too.

Yes allocate space for everything! Now we are getting somewhere.

Playgrounds are of use to a very small subset if the population (kids age 2 until about 8). Cars are used by people of all ages.

Exactly - nobody is suggesting to remove everything of any one thing, just find a better balance as Salthill is current very car and pedestrian centric.

Pedestrians are top of the urban space pecking order so it's right they should have a high allocation of space (the prom, parks etc).

Do you think the road along the prom is suitable/safe for cyclists?
    I don't, especially not for young or less assertive cyclists. So I think they're currently being excluded and space is being used to serve a "subset if the population" at the exclusion of others.

I think we can find a better balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

We could start getting a bit of balance by installing Coke rental bikes adjacent to the car park. The scheme is a joke how central most of the bikes are. I suppose it would put the rest of the poor cycling infrastructure into focus. So if they're seen as endorsing cyclists from outer boroughs to cycle in to the centre and then someone gets knocked down maybe they feel doing nothing is better than being culpable?

As for the prom I walk there, cycle there, and park there especially with the family. So I don't want to see parking removed but I'm all for a cycle lane where the current seaside footpath is. It would certainly be more relaxing to cycle in a designated, respected space.

Advertisement