Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland & the Single Market post Brexit

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

First Up wrote: »
    Most of Asia drives on the left. All Japanese cars are available LHD and European car makers who sell to Asia have LHD models. It obviously made sense to use the UK as a distribution hub for RHD models when they were in the EU but it no longer does.

Particularly as UK cars are MPH instead of Kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rock22

Not many parts on a car are handed. Most parts are the same whether LHD or RHD. It will sort itself out in the long run, hopefully.

Sam I agree. But i have waited since the beginning of the year for a body trim part , from VAG, to repair my car.
    The part is almost certainly the same RHD or LHD, and is also probably made in EU. But VAG will not sent the part directly to Ireland, they insist on continuing to store parts for all Irish cars in the UK, presumably because they are RHD. I believe that the Irish distributors are wholly owned by VAG and so have no say in the matter. So If I want a part for a VAG vehicle I have to purchases from a dealer here who has to buy from the Irish distributor who has to buy from the UK.
    This is not the same as "a private buyer in Ireland choosing to buy from a private seller in the UK"

Talking yesterday to the garage, and they tell me they have the same issue will all /most European manufacturers.

So, in this thread, it has been mentioned that supplies for building and cars, the two most expensive purchases for most people, will continue to come from UK with the additional cost to the Irish customer, with in most cases , no ability to go to an alternative.
    I believe that only government or EU rules can rectify this supply route.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

rock22 wrote: »
    Sam I agree. But i have waited since the beginning of the year for a body trim part , from VAG, to repair my car.
    The part is almost certainly the same RHD or LHD, and is also probably made in EU. But VAG will not sent the part directly to Ireland, they insist on continuing to store parts for all Irish cars in the UK, presumably because they are RHD. I believe that the Irish distributors are wholly owned by VAG and so have no say in the matter. So If I want a part for a VAG vehicle I have to purchases from a dealer here who has to buy from the Irish distributor who has to buy from the UK.
    This is not the same as "a private buyer in Ireland choosing to buy from a private seller in the UK"

Talking yesterday to the garage, and they tell me they have the same issue will all /most European manufacturers.

So, in this thread, it has been mentioned that supplies for building and cars, the two most expensive purchases for most people, will continue to come from UK with the additional cost to the Irish customer, with in most cases , no ability to go to an alternative.
    I believe that only government or EU rules can rectify this supply route.

I agree that it will be either the EU or Gov here that will have to act. Certainly, with the VAG group there is no excuse for that behaviour to continue as it is true that the Irish distributor is wholly owned by VAG. It used to be owned by Motor Distributers but that ended many years ago.

As an alternative view, Amazon appears to be quite active in solving the problem by setting up an Irish fulfilment centre in Baldonnell, Co Dublin, and Amazon branded trucks arriving from Europe into Rosslare. So not all operators are taking the lazy way out of sticking to the status quo.

It is also worth remembering we are only six weeks into this new normal.

For those that are concerned about this, they should get onto their TDs and Leo Varadkar as Minister with responsible for trade. Get texting, he tends to respond to public pressure.

It might be worth getting in touch with MEPs but I'm not sure how much effect that will have. The European Parliament would hardly be likely to jump up and down about something that is purely an Irish problem, but you never know.

Emily O'Reilly is the EU Ombudsman, and she could be a good person to try to put pressure on the EU where it hurts. She certainly has the inside track when it comes to embarrassing EU stupidity, inefficiency, and ineffectiveness. She might be the secret weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

This weeks Brexit Republic is very good explaining the EUs position on the vaccines and the mess up over Article 16.

https://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_brexitrepublic.xml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Just on the logistics side of things, I'm finding that I'm getting very rapid delivery of items from Germany in particular over the last few days. Internet orders arriving 1 to 2 days after ordering.

I've had French items arrive within 2 days too and several companies seem really well geared up for it, including having mentions of Eircode on their website and everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Could be there are more than a few Paddys working the English language side of their websites, and dropped hints or flat out made the changes needed in the run up to Dec 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The population of the island is growing. I expect in my lifetime that it will finally recover to and exceed the pre-famine level.

Already at ca. 6.75 million it's not an insignificant market anymore. Most of its citizens also have higher levels of disposable income than the EU average.

You can be sure Amazon isn't building a .ie site on a whim. They will have carefully analysed this and had contingency plans in place based on what Brexit turned out to be.

Other retailers are slower than Amazon but they will come to the same conclusion: too much lost revenue to ignore the Irish market these days. I reckon the value of sales to Ireland from their .co.uk business were per capita much higher than sales to GB.

We might even see some really unexpected stuff like Sainsbury's looking to expand island wide to help make up for some of the damage to their home market. It's well known that M&S' most profitable stores are in the Republic.

murphaph wrote: »
    The population of the island is growing. I expect in my lifetime that it will finally recover to and exceed the pre-famine level.

Already at ca. 6.75 million it's not an insignificant market anymore. Most of its citizens also have higher levels of disposable income than the EU average.

You can be sure Amazon isn't building a .ie site on a whim. They will have carefully analysed this and had contingency plans in place based on what Brexit turned out to be.

Other retailers are slower than Amazon but they will come to the same conclusion: too much lost revenue to ignore the Irish market these days. I reckon the value of sales to Ireland from their .co.uk business were per capita much higher than sales to GB.

We might even see some really unexpected stuff like Sainsbury's looking to expand island wide to help make up for some of the damage to their home market. It's well known that M&S' most profitable stores are in the Republic.

M&S are more profitable because they charge about 15% or more in Ireland than they do in the UK for the identical stuff. Check out their websites - .ie vs .co.uk and you can confirm the items are identical except for the price.

Amazon might be going .eu as well - unifying their prices throughout the Euro zone. Lower demand items could then be supplied from a single fulfilment centre within the Eurozone, rather than having them spread over their current sites.

Indeed but I suspect M&S staff in Irish stores are paid more than their colleagues in the UK. Rates, insurance, etc. are all probably more expensive.

Ireland is a higher cost economy but it's better to be that than scraping along the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

murphaph wrote: »
    Indeed but I suspect M&S staff in Irish stores are paid more than their colleagues in the UK. Rates, insurance, etc. are all probably more expensive.

Ireland is a higher cost economy but it's better to be that than scraping along the bottom.

While you are correct I don't necessarily think its better. these costs mean we have exponentially higher costs for housing, food etc..

a poor working person in England is better off than one here even with less money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,869 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

While you are correct I don't necessarily think its better. these costs mean we have exponentially higher costs for housing, food etc..

a poor working person in England is better off than one here even with less money.

I'm not sure.
    I've seen how both live and its really 50/50. Poor people in the UK can shop and go for a pint but can only do it in spoons and the £1 shop and will be priced out of not only the majority of their own high street but will have to watch their kids enter a massively unequal education system which will stigmatize them for years.
    Healthcare is the one area where I would happily swap the UK system for ours

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I'm not sure.
    I've seen how both live and its really 50/50. Poor people in the UK can shop and go for a pint but can only do it in spoons and the £1 shop and will be priced out of not only the majority of their own high street but will have to watch their kids enter a massively unequal education system which will stigmatize them for years.
    Healthcare is the one area where I would happily swap the UK system for ours

If the exchange rate was 75p to the Euro, then the UK poor would probably be better off in the UK, but that would depend on where they lived. At 87.5p to 91p - not so certain.

With health, it again depends on where you live - again not a given. However, there is a report in the papers about DNR notes for those with learning disability.
    Fury at ‘do not resuscitate’ notices given to Covid patients with learning disabilities

Inner city is not a nice place for the poor in either state. There is an austerity war going on against those on 'benefits' in the UK. Minorities are worse off in the UK.

However, their is less hate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭zell12

In Holyhead, traffic has fallen 50% as hauliers stymied by Brexit find their way from Ireland to France without entering the UK
    Red tape has also affected Fishguard, another of Stena Line’s ports. Freight from southern Ireland would previously have arrived here from Rosslare, but traffic has been down on average 50% since January.
    “There was great fear in the Irish haulage industry that Dover-Calais would be a bottleneck. A lot of them are saying [sailing from Ireland to France] is not the most efficient way – it is more costly – but currently they are prepared to pay that premium.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/feb/20/ports-feel-the-chill-as-trade-re-routes-around-brexit-britain

When will consumers see price increases due to longer journey times from continent?
    ?width=630&version=5357129

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

zell12 wrote: »
    When will consumers see price increases due to longer journey times from continent?
    ?width=630&version=5357129

That graphic is out of date. The "via the landbridge" label should read "up to 150 hours". Brexit is done, the Landbridge is now more of an obstacle course than a bridge - what's the point of referring to obsolete data, especially with dumbed-down tags such as less than and up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,869 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That graphic is out of date. The "via the landbridge" label should read "up to 150 hours". Brexit is done, the Landbridge is now more of an obstacle course than a bridge - what's the point of referring to obsolete data, especially with dumbed-down tags such as less than and up to?

Silly slogans and graphics were always the go to tactic for brexiters. Way more effective than truth or facts

Graphic from TheJournal.ie - Tonnes of new ferry routes have helped to Brexit-proof Irish trade - but choppy waters could yet be ahead
    Around half of Ireland’s exports to countries other than the UK, and almost 150,000 trucks, travelled over the UK landbridge each year before Brexit. That rate of traffic has now been halved, and is being diverted around the UK on ferries going directly to the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

What's your point? Are you just trying to drive traffic to that article? "Ireland maintains links with Europe" is not exactly news, and these routes were announced (and discussed) ages ago. The "news" in that respect is recognition in Anglesey of the impending job losses in Holyhead, but that's nothing to do with Ireland & the Single Market.

Not everyone knows the ins and outs of our changing trade routes. I did not know that landbridge had gone down 50% from 150k trucks per annum. It was just an article.

When the UK start enforcing rules on imports soon, the landbridge I assume will become slower than it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,195 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Zell12 raises a good point.

The reason so much traffic went by the landbridge route up to now in the past is that it was the quickest and cheapest route. It no longer is, which is why traffic has diverted to the direct sea routes. And a good job has been done in terms of forseeing this shift, facilitating it and gearing up to meet demand. The UK could learn a thing or two about planning for Brexit by looking at this.

But.

It remains the case that the geared up, facilitated, direct sea routes are not as quick, and not as cheap, as the landbridge used to be. So that's some degree of extra time cost, and some degree of extra monetary cost, permanently imposed on the trade that used to avail of the landbridge. We can't magic that away. And "will it lead to price rises?" is a perfectly reasonable and realistic question to ask.

An obvious question is how much extra delay, and how much extra expense will be imposed? I haven't seen an attempt at a systematic answer to this question, though I'm sure it will have been studied and modelled. As for the impact of the extra delay and expense, that's going to vary depending on the nature of the trade. For some business - exporting fresh shellfish, say - even a few hours additional journey time can be a signficant problem. There'll be other businesses - trading in high-volume low-margin goods, for example - in which the additional transport costs will significantly eat into margins that are already thin. And there'll be still other businesses in which transporting product is a minor expense, and the extra cost and delay is easily absorbed.

So I don't think there's a simple one-size-fits-all answer to the question "what kind of price increases will we see and when will we see them?" But it's a good question to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Peregrinus wrote:
    It remains the case that the geared up, facilitated, direct sea routes are not as quick, and not as cheap, as the landbridge used to be. So that's some degree of extra time cost, and some degree of extra monetary cost, permanently imposed on the trade that used to avail of the landbridge. We can't magic that away. And "will it lead to price rises?" is a perfectly reasonable and realistic question to ask.

Correct. Brexit was always going to have negative consequences and this was one of the most obvious. Transport operators and others in the supply chain are adapting as much as possible but it is unrealistic to expect no damage to time critical sectors.

But we can make some of it up in other ways - especially by taking some of the business the UK is losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,195 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

First Up wrote: »
    Correct. Brexit was always going to have negative consequences and this was one of the most obvious. Transport operators and others in the supply chain are adapting as much as possible but it is unrealistic to expect no damage to time critical sectors.

But we can make some of it up in other ways - especially by taking some of the business the UK is losing.
    At the national level, yes. But that the level of the individual business or individual trader or individual customer, there will be Brexit losses and costs for some, and they will have limited or no oppportunity to make these up by taking up business that the UK is losing. Others will take up that business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Peregrinus wrote: »
    At the national level, yes. But that the level of the individual business or individual trader or individual customer, there will be Brexit losses and costs for some, and they will have limited or no oppportunity to make these up by taking up business that the UK is losing. Others will take up that business.

Inevitable I'm afraid but as little as we can manage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cork - Roscoff is just under 12 hours.

The much longer Dublin - Rotterdam is 30 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

How much is the same but from Rosslare?
    Or Rosslare - Cherbourg?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭20silkcut

It’s lorries coming back empty that seems to be the biggest issue. We export more than we import from the EU. But surely every lorry coming from France should be able to find some goods and produce to bring back? Especially with no paperwork or tarriffs etc between us.
    Surely there is an opening there to supply goods from the continent to the U.K. via the NI back door for Irish hauliers . If the U.K. starts imposing more stringent checks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Quite a lot of supermarket items could be coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭20silkcut

The much longer Dublin - Rotterdam is 30 hours.

Roscoff is further from Netherlands/ Germany than London or Calais. 12 hour sailing and your still hundreds of miles from the heart of Europe. It’s nearly as far to the west as Cornwall in England.
    More suitable if your heading for south of France or Spain.

• Advertisement

Is there scope for even larger, more efficient ferries to ply the routes I wonder? The passage cost per lorry must vary a fair bit depending on which ferry it's booked on. Larger ones have presumably got lower unit costs I would have thought?

Advertisement