Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Average V Median wage Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

Cyrus wrote: »
    what is an average median :confused:

Apologies - I should have just said "median". So No 369 should read just "median".

(It's worth mentioning that the terms "average median" and "average mean" are used sometimes but I agree that just plain median and mean or average are less confusing)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Benedict wrote: »
    Average median salaries Ireland: (Courtesy of "payscale.com - 2021 figures)

Project Architect 43k
    Solicitor 49k
    Teacher 33k
    Hotel Manager 36k

These are professional jobs? And the typical wage is 49k right?????

That is nonsense

https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0060_2020.pdf

No full-time teacher is on a salary of less than 37k, so the median can't be below that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

blanch152 wrote: »
    That is nonsense

https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0060_2020.pdf

No full-time teacher is on a salary of less than 37k, so the median can't be below that.

Maybe people who submit their wage data to payscale are unhappy or inexperienced?

blanch152 wrote: »
    That is nonsense

Benedict includes part time and temp workers when it suits him.
    I'd not class a hotel manager as a professional job tbh but that's off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

what is an average median :confused:

It does make sense that someone who conflates these terms themselves would also struggle to understand the difference when a politician uses these words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

USC is very "progressive"
    USC is absolutely progressive, the more you earn the more you pay.
    It's nearly flat rate.

Percentage is progressive. The current system is punitive if you bother to get off your hole and work.

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's nearly flat rate.............

Standard rates and thresholds of USC for 2021
    2021 Rate
    First €12,012 0.5%
    Next €8,675 2%
    Next €49,357 4.5%
    Balance 8%

It's far from flat rate if you look at the numbers.

Yes and it has enough "progression" in the lower rates to satisfy the RBBs of this world.
    But you pay *something* on every cent you earn.

Russian went to a flat rate and their tax take increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Whenever I see anyone, in any country, advocate for a flat tax I assume that they are a high earner who wants to pay less tax. Not that people shouldn't lobby for their own interests - just that it's fairly obvious that, ultimately, their requests aren't coming from a place of wanting the best for everyone.

• Advertisement

hots wrote: »
    It does make sense that someone who conflates these terms themselves would also struggle to understand the difference when a politician uses these words.

To be fair, I corrected my mistake.

But okay, do you have a list of average-type jobs where the median is 49k? I mean basic pay (forget overtime, investments etc.)?

So let's hear it!

Who's up for the challenge?

Whenever I see anyone, in any country, advocate for a flat tax I assume that they are a high earner who wants to pay less tax. Not that people shouldn't lobby for their own interests - just that it's fairly obvious that, ultimately, their requests aren't coming from a place of wanting the best for everyone.
    This is the natural assumption to make and it is true

But I wanted a reorged tax band even 10 years ago when I was earning 26k

When Friedman analysed things in the US he realised that the rate of flat tax needed to pull in the same level of revenue was about 15%.

The way it is set up now the poor pay some, the middle class pay a lot and the very rich use tax loopholes and right offs to pay very little.

I wonder what the flat rate we'd need here would be to get the same revenue? I wonder if it is less than 20%?

When Friedman analysed things in the US he realised that the rate of flat tax needed to pull in the same level of revenue was about 15%.

The way it is set up now the poor pay some, the middle class pay a lot and the very rich use tax loopholes and right offs to pay very little.

I wonder what the flat rate we'd need here would be to get the same revenue? I wonder if it is less than 20%?

If the very wealthy are using their resources to avoid paying tax under a progressive tax system, I don't see how switching to a flat tax is going to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

But okay, do you have a list of average-type jobs where the median is 49k? I mean basic pay (forget overtime, investments etc.)?

So let's hear it!

Who's up for the challenge?

You're the only one who thinks the median is 49k.

If the very wealthy are using their resources to avoid paying tax under a progressive tax system, I don't see how switching to a flat tax is going to change that.

You also remove all tax loopholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Average median salaries Ireland: (Courtesy of "payscale.com - 2021 figures)

Project Architect 43k
    Solicitor 49k
    Teacher 33k
    Hotel Manager 36k

These are professional jobs? And the typical wage is 49k right?????

There is no such phrase as "average median".

Why somebody would use a .com website is beyond me.

Use the CSO!!!!

Teachers start on 34k approx, that is the start of their scale, not the average.

Two mins looking up www.asti.ie or www.tui.ie will tell you that.

There are sol on Boards on 70k by age 30.

The mean annual earnings in Ireland is 49k, for FTW.

Mean, mean, mean, not the median.

The mean is pulled up by the high earning outliers.

This has been stated over and over.

Also the 49k includes all earnings: overtime, bonuses, any irregular earnings.

The 49k is not "mean basic pay".

An interesting question, which I suspect can be answered.

Give me 5 mins.

2018 total gross income = 106 bn

https://revenue.ie/en/corporate/documents/statistics/income-distributors/income-tax-calculation.pdf

105,491m

Net tax due = 16,589, so the effective rate on gross income is currently 15.7%

2018 USC revenue = 3197 + 541 = 3738m

Tax + USC 2018 = 20,327m

Flat tax to replace income tax and USC = 20,327 / 105,491 = 19.27%

Do my calculations look okay?

• Advertisement

You also need to realise that a lot of people working are paying 0 tax and also receiving social welfare. Replace social welfare with a negative income tax that subsidies low earners and the unemployed effectively consolidating revenue and social welfare and ensuring everyone has a minimum income.

Does the gross income include dividends and capital gains etc?

You also remove all tax loopholes.

Good luck with that.

Does the gross income include dividends and capital gains etc?

Dividends are income, so yes.

Capital gains are not income, so no.

It's important to read contributions properly so as to avoid misinterpreting them.

Of course I don't think that the median ftw wage in Ireland is 49k - that's the whole point of what I'm saying!

The message that every Tom Dick and Harry is earning 49k is false. In order to drive home the point that it's false I gave the challenge.

There is a widespread perception that if you're earning say 40k, most ftw are getting more than you are when in fact statistically you're doing well.

Lot's of criticism - but I'm still waiting for someone to show I'm wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It's important to read contributions properly so as to avoid misinterpreting them.

Of course I don't think that the median ftw wage in Ireland is 49k - that's the whole point of what I'm saying!

The message that every Tom Dick and Harry is earning 49k is false. In order to drive home the point that it's false I gave the challenge.

There is a widespread perception that if you're earning say 40k, most ftw are getting more than you are when in fact statistically you're doing well.

Lot's of criticism - but I'm still waiting for someone to show I'm wrong!!

All depends on where you are living try telling some one in Dublin that needs somewhere to live that they are doing well on 40k gross income per annum.

Are you on a crusade to improve people’s self esteem or something :D

All depends on where you are living try telling some one in Dublin that needs somewhere to live that they are doing well on 40k gross income per annum.

Are you on a crusade to improve people’s self esteem or something :D

I was hoping that someone would be in a position to say definitively what the median ftw is in Ireland. And it seems nobody is!

I do think that it would help Irish ftw to know the truth, yes.

If CSO can calculate the average ftw, they must have sufficient data to calculate the median - but they don't do it!

The must know the ftw, then add them up to get the average.

So why not publish the median?

The UK does!

Lumen wrote: »

Lots of info here - but I can't see that the e593 pw is the median wage for ftw? Maybe I'm wrong - but I can't see it!

I'll say it again. If you went for a drink in your local and Bill Gates was sitting at a table, then (according to "averaging" rules) everyone in the pub is a millionaire.

When it comes to assessing what is a typical wage for a ftw, averages should be consigned to the nearest bin.

The median is what counts - and nobody knows what it is! And if the average ftw wage is known, there must be enough data to figure out the median.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lots of info here - but I can't see that the e593 pw is the median wage for ftw? Maybe I'm wrong - but I can't see it!

I'm not sure what you're not seeing. Have you following the links?

Here are more specifics:

Distribution
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-eaads/earningsanalysisusingadministrativedatasources2018/distribution/

Annual Earnings
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-eaads/earningsanalysisusingadministrativedatasources2018/annualearnings/

I don't see many references to "full time workers" although I think the data is collected, see survey forms:

https://www.cso.ie/en/methods/earnings/earningshoursandemploymentcostssurveyforms/

In any case, there seems to be plenty of information to roughly assess the differences between mean and median, if you want more detail from the CSO maybe you should do a FOI request. :D

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you're not seeing. Have you following the links?

Here are more specifics:

Distribution
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-eaads/earningsanalysisusingadministrativedatasources2018/distribution/

Annual Earnings
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-eaads/earningsanalysisusingadministrativedatasources2018/annualearnings/

I don't see many references to "full time workers" although I think the data is collected, see survey forms:

https://www.cso.ie/en/methods/earnings/earningshoursandemploymentcostssurveyforms/

In any case, there seems to be plenty of information to roughly assess the differences between mean and median, if you want more detail from the CSO maybe you should do a FOI request. :D

Thank you - but with respect, do you know what the median wage for a ftw is? And would you agree that if it is possible to calculate the average ftw wage, then there is sufficient data to calculate the median wage?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement