Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average V Median wage Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,491 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Do rich people just leave Ireland?

You'll find a lot of self employed people happen to earn just under 100k.
    A lot of similar measures out there. If you're a PAYE employee you won't reach millionaire status most of the time too.

I've said this before but I'll say it again.

The government wants us all working, kids in a creche getting inferior care and food.

It should pay to have a single income family. The tax credits should be 100% transferable for a start and rate bands should also be shared completely.

That would provide a couple with one working a standard rate cut off of €70,600 as opposed to €44,300 ........... folk would be p1ssing and moaning about one of them being practically forced to become a stay at home parent losing their independence and ending their careers etc etc etc.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    A lot of similar measures out there. If you're a PAYE employee you won't reach millionaire status most of the time too.

Most who are well informed will lash decent amounts into executive pensions so they'll end up with the €2m pension pot or close to it.
    10 to 15 years ago lots of self employed folk earned just to the standard rate cut off and claimed expenses that were unvouched. Things have thankfully moved on and now most pay much more PAYE etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

You see a funny trend all the time, high earning PAYE workers might buy an expensive new build house and mortgage the lot, but when you find a house that wouldn't usually be worth a lot but theres nice cars in the driveway , its extended out the arse and the interior is fit for a palace thats somebody self employed.

theres a huge gap between the spending power and reported earnings of self employed people in Ireland because the tax regime is so punitive yet full of holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

A lot of self employed people avoid tax by underreporting earnings.

As in self employed plumbers, mechanics, builder etc doing cash jobs?

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    As in self employed plumbers, mechanics, builder etc doing cash jobs?

its not even cash jobs.

mobile phone, diesel, vehicle maintenance, broadband for the house, subsistence allowance, buying a laptop, buying tools etc... all come out before tax , where a PAYE person would come out after. You could have 10-15k a year come out before tax legally and fairly handy.

then theres barter jobs
    you're a plumber , you plumb your kitchen and bathroom , you have a mate who's a tiler, he tiles your kitchen and bathroom, you plumb his kitchen and bathroom, no money changes hands and you both got something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭KaneToad

yes, once you make over a million a year theres little reason to remain tax resident here,

Which is why O'Leary should be admired. He's happy to criticise Ireland and give his opinions but he puts his money where his mouth is and pays his taxes here. Unlike other phonies who benefitted greatly from the Irish state and decide to be exiles. Yet do secret charity work (that they let everyone know about) to drop some crumbs to the plebs. A certain Limerick man comes to mind...

its not even cash jobs.

mobile phone, diesel, vehicle maintenance, broadband for the house, subsistence allowance, buying a laptop, buying tools etc... all come out before tax , where a PAYE person would come out after. You could have 10-15k a year come out before tax legally and fairly handy.

Nothing untoward in most of that IMO, I'd not class that as under reporting earnings.

KaneToad wrote: »
    Which is why O'Leary should be admired. He's happy to criticise Ireland and give his opinions but he puts his money where his mouth is and pays his taxes here. Unlike other phonies who benefitted greatly from the Irish state and decide to be exiles. Yet do secret charity work (that they let everyone know about) to drop some crumbs to the plebs. A certain Limerick man comes to mind...

I wouldn't call them phonies etc..

tbh the fact that every single one of them except Oleary does it suggests more is wrong with our tax system than that every wealthy person is somehow bad.

all the big accounting firms release tax guides for foreign investors and domestic clients here every single year and universally they all say 'put your earned income somewhere else bar your own pocket because of how bad the taxes are'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

KaneToad wrote: »

Indeed.

I heard that MO'L trains the under 10s in rugby??!! Is that true?

There is something unpatriotic about moving abroad to avoid taxes.

• Advertisement

Nothing untoward in most of that IMO, I'd not class that as under reporting earnings.

its all legit and any accountant worth his salt will tell you to do such. Most self employed tradespeople / professionals would all have a declared income somewhere shy of 75k if their wife doesn't work or 50k if she does , but the spending power of a PAYE worker on 100-120k.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

its not even cash jobs.

then theres barter jobs
    you're a plumber , you plumb your kitchen and bathroom , you have a mate who's a tiler, he tiles your kitchen and bathroom, you plumb his kitchen and bathroom, no money changes hands and you both got something.

I'm splitting hairs but hard to think of a lot of this as 'avoidance' of tax imo. Tools are essential to a tradesman obviously, so is a vehicle etc. If the govt offer a subsistence allowance you'd be mad not to take it. Having said that I'm sure some take the piss. I've paid cash for various jobs before, whether it gets declared or not, who knows?

its all legit and any accountant worth his salt will tell you to do such. Most self employed tradespeople / professionals would all have a declared income ...... 50k if she does , but the spending power of a PAYE worker on 100-120k.

Bit of a jump there.
    Take the self employed professional paying himself €50k as his wife is working. What "turnover" isn't he paying himself so that he has the spending power of a PAYE worker on 100-120k?

Unless there's a company EV in there or some BIK dodge on a 4 seater SUV/4WD I'm not seeing that much opportunity for the claimed spending power tbh...... throw €30k into a pension doesn't do anything for spending power today either so I doubt you are thinking of pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Bit of a jump there.
    Take the self employed professional paying himself €50k as his wife is working. What "turnover" isn't he paying himself so that he has the spending power of a PAYE worker on 100-120k?

Well if you make 70K and report 38K? A self employed person reporting an income just at the rate band should be treated with suspicion.

Well if you make 70K and report 38K? A self employed person reporting an income just at the rate band should be treated with suspicion.

Is that the done thing nowadays?

You seem to be in the know.

Bit of a jump there.

Unless there's a company EV in there or some BIK dodge on a 4 seater SUV/4WD I'm not seeing that much opportunity for the claimed spending power tbh...... throw €30k into a pension doesn't do anything for spending power today either so I doubt you are thinking of pensions.

so lets say you've a paye worker on 100k and they want to buy a new laptop, it costs 2000 inc vat, that PAYE worker has to earn about 3800 euro to get out 2000 in money to spend on that laptop.

self employed lad wants a laptop , that 2000 becomes 1626 + vat , thats taken out of pre tax profit and every year 12.5% of that is deducted again from profits for depreciation. in the end it costs the self employed person half what it costs the paye worker. So a gross self employed income of 50k can in many ways resemble a PAYE income of 100k.

I think anyone who thinks self employed are treated preferentially by tax system should go and start their own business then comeback and report a few years later.

I am winding down my own company of ~14 years (its rediculous how hard that is actually to do!) this year, moved onto working full time for a MNC few years back, less stress, more stable outlook in life, a "gasp" pension, and no headaches of dealing with accountants and revenue.

Revenue just treat small business as guilty until proven innocent, last time they tried latching onto me, they ended up owning me money. But it still resulted in needless stress to me.

If I ever come up with another good business idea, Ireland would not be my choice to start a company again.

its a damn hard life, some perks but the tax is still insane and its hard.

so lets say you've a paye worker on 100k and they want to buy a new laptop, it costs 2000 inc vat, that PAYE worker has to earn about 3800 euro to get out 2000 in money to spend on that laptop.

self employed lad wants a laptop , that 2000 becomes 1626 + vat , thats taken out of pre tax profit and every year 12.5% of that is deducted again from profits for depreciation. in the end it costs the self employed person half what it costs the paye worker. So a gross self employed income of 50k can in many ways resemble a PAYE income of 100k.

I understand the financial side of things but I'm struggling to see how the self employed professional paying himself €50k as his wife is working has the spending power of a PAYE worker on 100-120k.

There's only so many laptops one can buy.

As I said unless there's a company EV in there or some BIK dodge on a 4 seater SUV/4WD I'm not seeing that much opportunity for the claimed spending power tbh...... throw €30k into a pension doesn't do anything for spending power today either so I doubt you are thinking of pensions.

You are saying this yourself
    its a damn hard life, some perks but the tax is still insane and its hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Laura2021

That's if they care about putting money into a pension and not something else.
    Seems the people who work in Government jobs only care about pensions which you wont get until 68 years of age and probably go up again what's the chances of dieing before you get to enjoy it.
    How much money will you actually need when your 70

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

To honest the post above shows a lack of understanding on how the income tax system works for self employed people.

Self employed people are not taxed at 12.5%. They have to pay the same income taxes as anyone else. Yes small companies can incorporate but then the owner is a director and the declarations that go with that from a tax perspective, have to pay income tax the same as any other PAYE worker and any money that is left in the company has to deal with the close companies surcharge.

If you don't incorporate you are taxed on your total revenue minus any allowable expenses. The profit is then taxed at more or less the normal income tax rates(Forget the exact slight differences in the taxes rates for a self employed person compared to PAYE)

You can't just dump all your household expenses under your business without the Revenue asking questions. Revenue have strict criteria on whats allowable and what isn't. Anyone who says anything else is making stuff up/exaggerating.

• Advertisement

Laura2021 wrote: »
    Seems the people who work in Government jobs only care about pensions which you wont get until 68 years of age and probably go up again what's the chances of dieing before you get to enjoy it.

An executive pension can be accessed from the age of 50 once you retire from the company that funded it. 25% of the fund can be taken as a tax free lump sum up to €200k ...... more can be taken at 20% tax rate up to €500k.

PeadarCo wrote: »
    To honest the post above shows a lack of understanding on how the income tax system works for self employed people.

Self employed people are not taxed at 12.5%. They have to pay the same income taxes as anyone else. Yes small companies can incorporate but then the owner is a director and the declarations that go with that from a tax perspective, have to pay income tax the same as any other PAYE worker and any money that is left in the company has to deal with the close companies surcharge.

If you don't incorporate you are taxed on your total revenue minus any allowable expenses. The profit is then taxed at more or less the normal income tax rates(Forget the exact slight differences in the taxes rates for a self employed person compared to PAYE)

You can't just dump all your household expenses under your business without the Revenue asking questions. Revenue have strict criteria on whats allowable and what isn't. Anyone who says anything else is making stuff up/exaggerating.

Youve shown your lack of understanding, thats claiming back depreciation on chattles, not income tax rate.

Self employed people pay the same outrageous income tax rates as paye workers, just what spending is before or after that calculation is different

Youve shown your lack of understanding, thats claiming back depreciation on chattles, not income tax rate.

Self employed people pay the same outrageous income tax rates as paye workers, just what spending is before or after that calculation is different

Heres the thing from a tax perspective there absolutly no such thing as depreciation. Depreciation when an income tax computation is be calcaulated is always disallowed. Now there is a similar concept called capital allowances. But the cost is spread over a number of years and again there are strict conditions attached in order for an asset to qualify

To claim any asset for capital allowances or any expense to be included in an income tax calculation you have to show that they wholly and exclusively for the purpose of the trade. If you can't the asset/expense will be dissallowed. What you have to understand is accounting profit and taxable profit and two different things. They are both governed by a different set of rules.

In the case of a laptop you mentioned. A self employed person may be able to able to claim capital allowances on this if they can satisfy Revenue that its used in the person's business. If its used for personal use, Revenue may dissallow some or all of the assets value when the tax calculation is being done. However this is no different from any company which can also claim capital allowances on specified assets that they use. Generally PAYE workers don't have to buy their own equipment to do their jobs and wouldn't qualify for capital allowances as a result.

Also please understand why I have mentioned is only the basic's. Income Tax is a complex area. However the idea that you have suggested that a self employed person can put any expense they want against their taxable income simply isn't true.

If a person does decide to ignore the law, they will have to deal with all the penalties that come with that. It would also raise issues for tax consulants as most people use one to complete their income tax returns. If Revenue noticed that a conulstant was regularly giving bad advice it would raise questions on the income tax cacluations for all of that practices clients. The resulting hassle from Revenue audits would not be good for business.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Laura2021

An executive pension can be accessed from the age of 50 once you retire from the company that funded it. 25% of the fund can be taken as a tax free lump sum up to €200k ...... more can be taken at 20% tax rate up to €500k.

And how much would you have to pay out of your weekly/ monthly salary to get that ? Very few people will be retire at 50

And how much would you have to pay out of your weekly/ monthly salary to get that ? Very few people will be retire at 50

You stated you won't get a pension until 68, you mentioned that after a post about self employed folk and pensions.

I also said from the age of 50.

You can retire from self employment, cash in a quarter of your pension fund taxfree and get a job off someone or start a new venture. ....... you don't have to actually stop workiing, you just cut ties with the company that funded the pension.
    Now, "And how much would you have to pay out of your weekly/ monthly salary to get that ?"
    To get to what?
    Using crude figures, throw €20k/annum into a fund with low fees that tracks the likes of the S&P500 and after 20 years there'd be over €1m in the pot.

If we are talking about self employed folk paying themselves €50k/annum but earning much more €20k/annum into a pension isn't out of context.

What tangent do you want to go off on next?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,233 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Heres the thing from a tax perspective there absolutly no such thing as depreciation. Depreciation when an income tax computation is be calcaulated is always disallowed. Now there is a similar concept called capital allowances. But the cost is spread over a number of years and again there are strict conditions attached in order for an asset to qualify

To claim any asset for capital allowances or any expense to be included in an income tax calculation you have to show that they wholly and exclusively for the purpose of the trade. If you can't the asset/expense will be dissallowed. What you have to understand is accounting profit and taxable profit and two different things. They are both governed by a different set of rules.

In the case of a laptop you mentioned. A self employed person may be able to able to claim capital allowances on this if they can satisfy Revenue that its used in the person's business. If its used for personal use, Revenue may dissallow some or all of the assets value when the tax calculation is being done. However this is no different from any company which can also claim capital allowances on specified assets that they use. Generally PAYE workers don't have to buy their own equipment to do their jobs and wouldn't qualify for capital allowances as a result.

Also please understand why I have mentioned is only the basic's. Income Tax is a complex area. However the idea that you have suggested that a self employed person can put any expense they want against their taxable income simply isn't true.

If a person does decide to ignore the law, they will have to deal with all the penalties that come with that. It would also raise issues for tax consulants as most people use one to complete their income tax returns. If Revenue noticed that a conulstant was regularly giving bad advice it would raise questions on the income tax cacluations for all of that practices clients. The resulting hassle from Revenue audits would not be good for business.

Whenever I have lunch with a self-employed friend, they always take the receipt. Not only do I pay for my own lunch, but through the tax-refund he gets, I pay for my friends.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Whenever I have lunch with a self-employed friend, they always take the receipt. Not only do I pay for my own lunch, but through the tax-refund he gets, I pay for my friends.

And whats the big deal? This is something that is also effectively available to PAYE workers. Companies can provide subsidised canteens and employees can also claim lunch allowances subject to certain limits set out by Revenue. Now not all companies provide those things, but thats nothing to do with the tax system its do with what employers offer. And also remember for a self employed person the lunch is still an expense. Their saving at their marginal tax rate. ie if a lunch costs €10, a persons marginal rate is 55% the after tax cost to the self employed person of that lunch is €4.50 (Numbers made up for the example). Depending on the subsidies offered by a employer if they provide a canteen or other allowances the saving to a PAYE person may be far greater.

The only real difference in the example you have picked is that a self employed person can choose to classify the meal as a business expense(again this can audited by Revenue) where as the same benefit is only available to a PAYE person if their employer offers them the benefits. But thats down to the level of power a person who is self employed has over their own work versus a person who is employed by another person/organisation. But thats a conversation that includes more than just the tax implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,233 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

And whats the big deal? This is something that is also effectively available to PAYE workers. Companies can provide subsidised canteens and employees can also claim lunch allowances subject to certain limits set out by Revenue. Now not all companies provide those things, but thats nothing to do with the tax system its do with what employers offer. And also remember for a self employed person the lunch is still an expense. Their saving at their marginal tax rate. ie if a lunch costs €10, a persons marginal rate is 55% the after tax cost to the self employed person of that lunch is €4.50 (Numbers made up for the example). Depending on the subsidies offered by a employer if they provide a canteen or other allowances the saving to a PAYE person may be far greater.

The only real difference in the example you have picked is that a self employed person can choose to classify the meal as a business expense(again this can audited by Revenue) where as the same benefit is only available to a PAYE person if their employer offers them the benefits. But thats down to the level of power a person who is self employed has over their own work versus a person who is employed by another person/organisation. But thats a conversation that includes more than just the tax implications.

I can't meet a friend in a company canteen.

The self-employed friend picks up the receipt and claims the expense. Revenue don't even look at it. There is no business conducted, just two old friends meeting for lunch, but I pay for my lunch, and the taxpayer (me) pays again for my lunch and his.

Say two PAYE workers and one self-employed meet for lunch. No business is discussed. All pay €15 for the lunch, but the restaurant doesn't split the bill. The self-employed person takes the receipt and claims the lunch. With the tax relief, the self-employed person gets back €20.25, so not only does the taxpayer pay for the lunch of the self-employed, but the self-employed person goes home with an extra €5.25 in their pocket (plus any travelling expenses they claim back).

You would be extremely naive if you pretended this doesn't happen.

The self-employed friend picks up the receipt and claims the expense. Revenue don't even look at it. There is no business conducted, just two old friends meeting for lunch, but I pay for my lunch, and the taxpayer (me) pays again for my lunch and his. ............

If it bothers you to the extent you b1tch and moan about it why not get your receipt after you pay for your lunch ;)
    I'm self employed but never put lunches with friends in as an expense. Your self employed friend seems to be taking the p1ss tbh.

• Advertisement

I can't meet a friend in a company canteen.

The self-employed friend picks up the receipt and claims the expense. Revenue don't even look at it. There is no business conducted, just two old friends meeting for lunch, but I pay for my lunch, and the taxpayer (me) pays again for my lunch and his.

Say two PAYE workers and one self-employed meet for lunch. No business is discussed. All pay €15 for the lunch, but the restaurant doesn't split the bill. The self-employed person takes the receipt and claims the lunch. With the tax relief, the self-employed person gets back €20.25, so not only does the taxpayer pay for the lunch of the self-employed, but the self-employed person goes home with an extra €5.25 in their pocket (plus any travelling expenses they claim back).

You would be extremely naive if you pretended this doesn't happen.

But here's the thing you have now moved from complaining about the rules to a situation where you are complaining that Revenue isn't God and doesn't know everything. That's a very different argument. The rules with regard lunches do not give a self employed person a tax benefit compared to a PAYE person. Note if a company pays employees above the rates set by Revenue the employee may be subject to tax via benefit in kind(BIK) . These expenses are tax deductible for a company in the same way they are for a self employed person. And please note Revenue have a concept called "Civil Service rates" when determining the threshold for when BIK kicks in on different allowances. Hence why expense rates vary between companies. PAYE people have the benefit that their costs(employees can be given expenses at a flat rate and don't need to submit receipts) may be below what ever allowances they get and may actually make money on expenses that's untaxed.

I am naive enough to think fraud doesn't exist no but it cuts both ways.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement