Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

zell12 wrote: »
    More anti-parking wands installed along golf course wall. What is going on?

People shouldn't be parking there and it's been very full since legal parking was blocked off a few days ago on the prom. In addition, it rips up all the grass and leaves a complete mess.

A friend was highly indignant at being ticketed there a few weeks ago. She hadn't a clue what she had done wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

Heard today that Seamount (off Threadneedle rd) is introducing clamping to deter prom visitors from parking there, I'm not surprised, Threadneedle rd is a real bottleneck at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 23,552 ✭✭✭✭zell12

buzz11 wrote: »
    Heard today that Seamount (off Threadneedle rd) is introducing clamping to deter prom visitors from parking there, I'm not surprised, Threadneedle rd is a real bottleneck at the moment
    Is it not a public road? Therefore, they can't do that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Is it not a public road? Therefore, they can't do that

It's an estate so they would be. Dun na carraige been doing it for years. They need to put in double yellow along the main road down to the roundabout, really tight with cars on both sides.

Unfortunately it seems to be necessary, people driving to Salthill and leaving their cars on nearby roads.

They should open up the main prom car park for badge holders only while parking is restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

It's an estate so they would be. Dun na carraige been doing it for years. They need to put in double yellow along the main road down to the roundabout, really tight with cars on both sides.

Not necessarily. Most older estates wouldn't have private roads. Dun na Carraige is a much newer estate.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Most older estates wouldn't have private roads. Dun na Carraige is a much newer estate.
    I am sure the clampers would be aware

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Unfortunately it seems to be necessary, people driving to Salthill and leaving their cars on nearby roads.

They should open up the main prom car park for badge holders only while parking is restricted.

Ya 100% agree, need more innovation from the Council. It would be a good facility to have in place post pandemic regardless

Ya 100% agree, need more innovation from the Council. It would be a good facility to have in place post pandemic regardless
    I disagree, it's a huge area for people to play around in on the sea front, rather then facilitating the storage of personal private property.

• Advertisement

Turns out:
    Seamount is a private estate and the road has not been taken in charge by the Council. The residents have clubbed together and hired a clamping company, which will erect signs in the coming days and begin clamping illegally parked cars from next week.

Isn't that what buzz11 said?

I wonder if this will cause a wave of private estates introducing clamping as inconsiderate parkers get pushed from residential streets.

Isn't that what buzz11 said?
    I wonder if this will cause a wave of private estates introducng clamping as inconsiderate parkers get pushed from residential streets.
    Seamount is a pretty old estate, how is not taken into charge yet?
    Plenty of estates already have clamping or even cctv, but it is obvious there are management companies therein, in Seamount not obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Friend lives in Newcastle and during the University term students park all over the estate, he went to the Council and Garda and was told as long as they don't block your entrance they are not parked illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

Seamount is a pretty old estate, how is not taken into charge yet?
    Plenty of estates already have clamping or even cctv, but it is obvious there are management companies therein, in Seamount not obvious.

Seamount was built in '80's before the rules over private/public/taking in charge were fully clear & established like nowadays so I'm sure its something the council are searching through their files to find out!

I really think the Seamount residents reaction is a bit of "dog in the manger", surely its not a big deal to facilitate parking during this pandemic? (except of course stupid parking blocking entrances & corners etc which should not be tolerated)

Isn't it better to share the prom and sea views than bunkering down in whos entitled to what and so on.... the pandemic will be gone at some point and they can get their quiet estate back then, unlike other parts of town like near the uni & hospital

Seamount was built in '80's before the rules over private/public/taking in charge were fully clear & established like nowadays so I'm sure its something the council are searching through their files to find out!
    I really think the Seamount residents reaction is a bit of "dog in the manger", surely its not a big deal to facilitate parking during this pandemic? (except of course stupid parking blocking entrances & corners etc which should not be tolerated)
    Dunno, heard Cllr Donal Lyons whinging about people 'having no business being there' regarding other parking locations

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Isn't it better to share the prom and sea views than bunkering down in whos entitled to what and so on.... the pandemic will be gone at some point and they can get their quiet estate back then, unlike other parts of town like near the uni & hospital

The cyclist lobby groups want to remove parking permanently from the prom, to facilitate bicycle lanes. They see the current state as a trial, not a temporary measure. Seamount residents are right to be concerned, and if their estate is not yet taken on charge are well within their rights to exclude unwelcome visitors.

The cyclist lobby groups want to remove parking permanently from the prom, to facilitate bicycle lanes.

Which groups? I thought the proposal was for cycling lanes to go on the coastal side, using some of the road-side footpath, with most car parking moved across the road? (some loss from junctions)

What is the current state trialing?

I disagree, it's a huge area for people to play around in on the sea front, rather then facilitating the storage of personal private property.

Would not be replacing like with like here, would only need 1/5 of the space the current car park on the prom takes up for blue badge holders. Space should be utilised far better for sure.

Which groups? I thought the proposal was for cycling lanes to go on the coastal side, using some of the road-side footpath, with most car parking moved across the road? (some loss from junctions)

What is the current state trialing?

Ya your right that was the proposal. Nothing is been done on this though by Galway City Council

• Advertisement

They were talking about the clamping/parking in Salthill on the national airwaves yesterday

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-lunchtime-live/is-it-time-to-put-a-stop-to-illegal-parking-in-salthill-in-galway

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Dog fouling has been a big problem in Seamount with the influx of cars parking there. Some residents opposed to clamping changed their minds because of the dog sh1t. The place was destroyed.

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Dog fouling has been a big problem in Seamount with the influx of cars parking there. Some residents opposed to clamping changed their minds because of the dog sh1t. The place was destroyed.
    Free fertiliser brought to their door!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Ludikrus wrote: »

Did they not supply Bio poop bags for the dog walkers?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Did they not supply Bio poop bags for the dog walkers?

Why the he'll should they have to!

If you want to take Poopy for a walk, take your own shít containers

Why the he'll should they have to!

If you want to take Poopy for a walk, take your own shít containers

The gardai should be brought in to close off the estates like they do when the rednecks come in forn pearse stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

It's amazing that there is still free parking on the prom. Travel most places in Europe and you would expect to pay a charge to park so close to the sea front. A charge would also make driver's think twice about their chosen means of transport and potentially reduce traffic in the area. Of course this would push traffic out in the estates but simply extend the pay parking zones. Residents would get passes.
    It's surprising that the council haven't introduced this yet as a strong source of revenue.
    Would you mind paying a couple of € to park on the prom? If I was in Spain, France, Italy etc I wouldn't expect free parking.
    Of course this is Galway, where illegal parking is rampant and where traffic cones are required to stop people parking on double yellow lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Worn Out wrote: »
    It's amazing that there is still free parking on the prom. Travel most places in Europe and you would expect to pay a charge to park so close to the sea front. A charge would also make driver's think twice about their chosen means of transport and potentially reduce traffic in the area. Of course this would push traffic out in the estates but simply extend the pay parking zones. Residents would get passes.
    It's surprising that the council haven't introduced this yet as a strong source of revenue.
    Would you mind paying a couple of € to park on the prom? If I was in Spain, France, Italy etc I wouldn't expect free parking.
    Of course this is Galway, where illegal parking is rampant and where traffic cones are required to stop people parking on double yellow lines.

Could be a win win. Put more money into improving the prom too. Lahinch charges and it has better facilities.

Worn Out wrote: »

Good post - I am curious about this as Galway City Council do make a lot of money from Car parking in the City Centre. Could it be related to litigation? If Galway City Council were charging - would there would be an onus of care on them for the facilities that they charge to provide? So when the car parks and the prom floods - as they do regularly now - would they be liable?

• Advertisement

Good post - I am curious about this as Galway City Council do make a lot of money from Car parking in the City Centre. Could it be related to litigation? If Galway City Council were charging - would there would be an onus of care on them for the facilities that they charge to provide? So when the car parks and the prom floods - as they do regularly now - would they be liable?

I wouldn't see how. A standard disclaimer in every car park is "owners park at their own risk..... Not liable for any damage or loss to vehicle or property etc etc etc"

Advertisement