Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

March Running Challenge

Options
  • 01-03-2021 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

Hi All, here we go again!

The Royal Flush

Christened by one of our speedy residents. After dropping the idea, they made a speedy getaway leaving me to work out the details :p I promised fewer rules this month at least... :D

The Challenge
    A perfect progression run. 10.00 km or 10.00 miles... simple ;)

Rules
    1. As many attempts as you like
    2. Start at your normal easy pace and no more than 1 minute slower. So if you generally run easy at 9mins, start at 10min pace etc..
    3. Claim your points with a screen shot for my sanity please, thank you!

Scoring

Accuracy
    Full 10 km or 10 mile progression (each lap faster than previous) = 10 pts
    Miss 10.00 (you must finish bang on 10.00) = -5 pts
    Miss a lap (equal or slower pace than previous lap) = -2 pts per lap missed

Low risk bonus
    All laps are exactly 2 or 4 sec faster
    +2 pts available if you hit all 9 splits. +1 point if you hit 8/9

All laps are exactly 5 sec faster
    +3 pts available if you hit all 9 splits, +2 for 8/9, +1 for 7/9

Complete exact 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 sec pattern
    +4 pts available, +3 for 8 in a row, +2 for 7 in a row, +1 for 6 in a row

All laps are exactly 10sec per km or 15sec per mile faster
    +5 pts available, +4 for 8/9, +3 for 7/9, +2 for 6/9, +1 for 5/9

Medium risk bonus
    Pattern per Mile: exactly 1 sec, 33 sec, 1,33,1,33,1,33,1 sec faster = +8 pts
    Pattern per Km: exactly 1 sec, 22 sec, 1,22,1,22,1,22,1 sec faster = +8 pts
    (1 point for each of the 1 sec achieved, 1 point for 3 of the 4 33 secs)

High Risk
    10x exact 1 sec consecutive drops = + 10pts
    +1 point for every 1 sec faster split achieved plus +1 for hitting all 9.
    Remember its -2 points for a same/slower lap

Bonus Bonus
    Score at least 5 points on a low, medium and high risk challenge and you get +3 points. (only one challenge will count overall)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

And you thought the February challenge table was complex?!

Let me process this one! ha

Looking forward to it in principal, love a progression run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Gratitude for you for setting this up is the first thing that sprung to mind, the second thing was ... c0b704f4cea911cbe6912151c4672292.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Wonder should we all be restricted to run with the same unit of measurement as there is greater scope for adjustments within a mile compared to a km? (I see this has been accounted for in some of the instances, but not all) Can I be the first to vote for kms? :)

Hmmmm, think this is well beyond the 3 functions I know on my watch...one of which is the light...must see if it can track it some way. Might send it on to a friend who is good at this stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

My brain hurts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I'm just gonna run a progression run and hope someone else figures out the points :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I'm just gonna run a progression run and hope someone else figures out the points :p

:D:D

Run the progression run. You do the math. Make your claim with your screen shot. It will accepted or not. I'll just update the table with your points :D :P

Its quite the opposite to the January Challenge in that everyone will be STARING at their watch this month. I'll accept no claims about running into lamp posts or tripping over dog leads :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I opted out of February due to concerns about my physical capacity. I'm now opting out of March due to concerns about my mental capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

A fine challenge and well done for getting it together, but Jaysus, anyone who can hit exact splits to 1 second...... Good luck with that. Not even on a track I'd say would that be easy to do. Might have a garry off it but it's a skill to get progression right. Well, that kind of progression anyway.

Cheers

Look at it this way

low risks
    If you go after the even numbers 2 or 4 secs its not a huge jump so easy to steady effort and low risk of missing a lap (slower). If you hit all 10 you get 2 points, if you hit 9 (just one odd number) you get 1 point.

Similar for 5 secs. Ok its 50 sec over a 10km vs 50 sec over 10 miles so a bit harder on the km but still within easy to steady. 3 points available here so if you hit 8 out of 10 you get 1 point, 9 out of 10, 2 points.

The next one 1,2,3,4,5,6 is just a cool one as you speed up slightly more every lap and if you happen to get lucky you can bag 4 points. Its a safe way of getting your 10 points as long as you hit the first lap 1 sec faster.

The 10/15 sec drops are just as hard in terms of accuracy but because you are jumping ahead faster each time, there is no real risk to missing a lap. If you hit 6 out of 10 splits you will bag a point... up to 5 points. This might be an attractive one as 100 sec over 10k or 150 sec over a mile would make it a good workout too!

The medium risks
    Just 2 fun patterns. Basically a Steady 2 miles/kms with 1 sec difference before you plunge down at a faster pace for 2 more... times 5! It why its worth more. It harder as you push harder but knowing you bank a point for 8 out of 10 splits means you get more out of it. Those 1 sec drops are risky as you can very easily land on exactly the same lap pace and that will cost you 2 seconds. You have that risk 5 times in this one.

The high Risk
    This is the Guantlet really as Itziger metioned. Its only a 10sec drop over 10k or 10 miles so I was originally giving it just 1 bonus point. Until I tried it out :eek: Its VERY challenging and you run the risk of an inaccuracy. Any lap that is faster than 1 sec costs you 1 point. Any lap that is the same or slower costs you 2 points. You could finish this one with a score of +10 or -20! However, that said, its the "easiest" one to try out multiple times or on every other easy run.. Hope to get lucky :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Going to try this tonight, I can envisage a complete balls up being made. I have never ran in kms before only miles, so haven't a clue what pace to be running at in km (despite poring over conversion charts at lunchtime). Don't have time to do 10 mile tonight, hence why I'm trying out km. Will see time after 1st K and try for 5 sec increase after that.
    Head Wrecker. Bring back running up steep things...

I see a month of progression runs ahead of me :D

Ok, so gave it a go. My god it's hard to hit exact seconds. The GPS distance just jumps randomly at end of each km. I looked like the worst learner driver as I clunked the clutch in the last 50m of some of the splits!

So hit the +10 seconds on 4 of the splits? Misses on 6 (by frustratingly small margins!) So no bonus points by my calc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

Low risk bonus
    Complete exact 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 sec drop pattern = +4 pts
    [/I]

High Risk
    10x exact 1 sec consecutive drops = + 10pts

Leaving aside the fact there can only be 9 consecutive drops in a pattern of 10 kms/miles... and knowing full well part of your plan for these challenges is to generate a bit of banter... as a long-time crank can I ask if these two are the same thing? Heads should roll:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Cool idea M.

Just asking for a slow witted friend let's call him eeeehhhh.........Homer.

Say for example the 15 second per mile progression if Homer goes D'oh and only progresses 13 seconds on a split, is the next progression on the basis of the slower previous mile split?
    Like 8:40 to 8:27. Should the next one be 8:12 instead of 8:10 if Homer had of done it right?

Thanks!

Leaving aside the fact there can only be 9 consecutive drops in a pattern of 10 kms/miles... and knowing full well part of your plan for these challenges is to generate a bit of banter... as a long-time crank can I ask if these two are the same thing? Heads should roll:D

I knew our resident maths professor would pop in! Thought about that. Oops I'll have to bring it down by 1. No biggie. I can't edit first post so I'll deal with them as they come in. It just means the bonus points are just slightly easier to get to.. slightly on the low risk at least.

No, low risk to drop by 1, then 2, then 3 etc... It probably won't be the popular choice anyway. I'd assume 5 and 10 sec will be starters and most will try the 10x1 at least once.

Jeez I need to bring you, the stewards, the police, Harry potter and Monty Pythons Biggus Dickus in to help me out this and subsequent months!

crisco10 wrote: »
    Ok, so gave it a go. My god it's hard to hit exact seconds. The GPS distance just jumps randomly at end of each km. I looked like the worst learner driver as I clunked the clutch in the last 50m of some of the splits!

So hit the +10 seconds on 4 of the splits? Misses on 6 (by frustratingly small margins!) So no bonus points by my calc?
    Fair play for kicking it off! Saw on Strava too it was spot on 10.00km so it's a full progression giving you 10 points! Well done.. expect nothing less from one of our series leaders!

BP, you were pretty close throughout. Alas none this time. You got 4x 10sec drops on the 10sec low risk option. Close. Since Kurt pointed out my pass maths, the 5 potential points burn down to 1. Which means a 5th 10sec drop would have netted you 1pt.

Summary..10 points.

Cool idea M.

Just asking for a slow witted friend let's call him eeeehhhh.........Homer.

Say for example the 15 second per mile progression if Homer goes D'oh and only progresses 13 seconds on a split, is the next progression on the basis of the slower previous mile split?
    Like 8:40 to 8:27. Should the next one be 8:12 instead of 8:10 if Homer had of done it right?

Thanks!

Bingo! If he misses a split but still faster, basically continue his original progression. So Homer needs to get 8:12, 7:57, eat a doh'!nut next 3 splits...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I'm completely lost :D I thought about posting to earlier to say I'll probably have to skip this as 10k is about the max of my mileage and a progression might not be the wisest thing in the world but who am I kidding... as soon as I can figure out what the feck you're talking about, I'll think about ways of giving it a go.

p.s. who the heck could drop their pace by 10 sec each mile :eek: I doubt my watch would pick up that level of accuracy anyway!

p.p.s. shotgunmcos did you lie awake at night dreaming this one up??!!! It's pretty cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

Jeez I need to bring you, the stewards, the police, Harry potter and Monty Pythons Biggus Dickus in to help me out this and subsequent months!

The world needs less people pointing out the numbers don't add up, and more people dreaming up crazy challenges. If there is a Minister for Fun election (and there should be), you have my vote!

Hi All

Edited the opening thread a little. Hope it makes a little more sense :o:rolleyes:

Since Crisco10 went first I've used his example splits. Hope you don't mind sir! Its worth noting that with Garmin Crisco10 marked 4x 10sec faster splits but on Strava the splits are rounded up so I've actually counted 5 as below!

Each lap was faster so it was a full progression = 10 points
    Crisco went after the 5 point bonus and got 5/9 splits = +1point

So updated total = 11 points.. our March Leader on his first go :D

Please note, I will not be examining everything to this detail, its up to you to post a screen shot or your splits with a valid link so I can verify. I'll pull in Kurt to help count :)

Also note as Crisco did perfectly, when you miss a target split, just carry on

Lap Distance Time Pace
    1 1.00 km 5:44 5:44 /km
    2 1.00 km 5:34 5:34 /km
    3 1.00 km 5:24 5:24 /km
    4 1.00 km 5:12 5:12 /km
    5 1.00 km 5:02 5:02 /km
    6 1.00 km 4:52 4:52 /km
    7 1.00 km 4:44 4:44 /km
    8 1.00 km 4:33 4:33 /km
    9 1.00 km 4:22 4:22 /km
    10 1.00 km 4:12 4:12 /km

Crisco did perfectly,

Sorry to spam, just needed to be highlighted. What's rare is wonderful. :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I LOVE this idea! I mean, I don't think I remotely understand it, but it sounds like lots of fun. 10km has been beyond the scope of my waddle-y pregnancy running lately but I managed it for the challenge at the weekend so I'll give this a good go! Better pick somewhere without too many dog leads/people to allow for the obsessive watch-staring...
    I'm completely lost :D
    So glad I'm not the only one! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

Great challenge, not such a great attempt.

Ive worked it out as 0 points so ill have to do it again! I changed my watch from miles to km but didn't change the laps.
    I was sure km 2 was slower than 1 but strava didn't give me it so I was in trouble from the start.

I was converted to running without looking at my watch from the Jan challenge so having my hand out in front as I sprinted or slows to a walk at the end of each km was fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Made a first attempt at this tonight and almost ran into one of our medal hopes for Torun this weekend, also running in the woods after dark.

Got the progression bit right but don't think I qualified for any bonus, though I still don't understand the medium bonus.
    The 1K progressions were -11,-3,-4,-7,-7,-8,-11,-10,-10.

Started off nice and slow and increased the pace a little. Floundered a bit as I hit hills in the middle section. Came back on target towards the end and had to work on the 9th one and finished strong. I can probably make multiple attempts at this but if it's like previous challenges, my first attempt will be my best one.

545645.jpg

dna_leri wrote: »
    Made a first attempt at this tonight and almost ran into one of our medal hopes for Torun this weekend, also running in the woods after dark.

Got the progression bit right but don't think I qualified for any bonus, though I still don't understand the medium bonus.
    The 1K progressions were -11,-3,-4,-7,-7,-8,-11,-10,-10.

Started off nice and slow and increased the pace a little. Floundered a bit as I hit hills in the middle section. Came back on target towards the end and had to work on the 9th one and finished strong. I can probably make multiple attempts at this but if it's like previous challenges, my first attempt will be my best one.

545645.jpg

Nice one. Bagged 10 points :) I'll get the March table going this weekend after we have a few attempts in.

The medium bonus is -1,-22,-1,-22,-1, -22,-1,-22,-1 each of the -1 is worth a point and 3 of the -22 get you a point for a max of +8 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Just 10 points for my first effort, 4/9 @ 10secs.

Its a pain trying to figure out if my watch was rounding '00secs down or up but it makes no differrence as it looks like garmin, strava & the watch conspired against me!

https://www.strava.com/activities/4882997550/laps

The medium risk looks like a nice workout so might get to try that soon. As for the high risk, it will give me something to do for a slow runs for the rest of the month.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4887381155
    So I finished bang on 10km and every lap was quicker.....bar the last one. :mad: I was actually on for the full progression but in the last 50m, I got confused and was trying to adjust my pace and instead of speeding up slightly, I slowed down. I actually came to a complete stop with about 20m to go and stood staring at the watch wondering why the numbers were going in the wrong direction. :confused: It was like a scene from Aircrash Investigations as I came to the sudden realization what was happening and sprinted the last few metres to try make up the time I had lost but it was too late, the damage was done and the plane crashed into the side of the mountain. So I make that 8 points

My splits
    KM|Pace|Difference
    1|5:14|
    2|5:07|-7
    3|5:02|-5
    4|4:57|-5
    5|4:52|-5
    6|4:46|-6
    7|4:41|-5
    8|4:36|-5
    9|4:31|-5
    10|4:35|+4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

So after mondays nights effort failed miserably I thought I'd give this another go this morning.
    Christ on a bike, I've never looked at my watch as much and been so confused running in a long time. Learner driver coming to a roundabout would be more controlled than this.
    Was going out to try for +5 sec per K.
    Complete fail after the 2nd K. Started out the first K too slow and just about the end of the 2nd K I had to stop completely as there was a tarmac lorry and digger completely blocking the road for about 20 secs.
    Decided to continue on without restarting the watch totally forgetting that it was to be bang on 10K and no more. I'll put it down as progression run built into my morning run.
    I'll count the first 2 K as a warmup and the last few as a cool down. :(
    I think I make it 5pts, possibly could be in the minus points. 545779.png

Advertisement