Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

March Running Challenge

245

Comments



  • fletch wrote: »
    https://www.strava.com/activities/4887381155
    So I finished bang on 10km and every lap was quicker.....bar the last one. :mad: I was actually on for the full progression but in the last 50m, I got confused and was trying to adjust my pace and instead of speeding up slightly, I slowed down. I actually came to a complete stop with about 20m to go and stood staring at the watch wondering why the numbers were going in the wrong direction. :confused: It was like a scene from Aircrash Investigations as I came to the sudden realization what was happening and sprinted the last few metres to try make up the time I had lost but it was too late, the damage was done and the plane crashed into the side of the mountain. So I make that 8 points

    My splits
    KM|Pace|Difference
    1|5:14|
    2|5:07|-7
    3|5:02|-5
    4|4:57|-5
    5|4:52|-5
    6|4:46|-6
    7|4:41|-5
    8|4:36|-5
    9|4:31|-5
    10|4:35|+4

    Nice attempt! Correct its 8 points. A -5 on that last split would have given you your full 10 for the progression plus a bonus for 7/9 -5sec splits. That 1 split was potentially worth 3 points ;)
    So after mondays nights effort failed miserably I thought I'd give this another go this morning.
    Christ on a bike, I've never looked at my watch as much and been so confused running in a long time. Learner driver coming to a roundabout would be more controlled than this.
    Was going out to try for +5 sec per K.
    Complete fail after the 2nd K. Started out the first K too slow and just about the end of the 2nd K I had to stop completely as there was a tarmac lorry and digger completely blocking the road for about 20 secs.
    Decided to continue on without restarting the watch totally forgetting that it was to be bang on 10K and no more. I'll put it down as progression run built into my morning run.
    I'll count the first 2 K as a warmup and the last few as a cool down. :(
    I think I make it 5pts, possibly could be in the minus points. 545779.png

    Yup 5 points :) So still something gained.




  • First attempt today and went for broke with increase by 1 second. First 2 exactly the same, so +8 for the run overall. Definitely some were = +1 second, but I leave you to decide how to interpret the times and whether I have done enough to earn any additional score to the +8.
    My sight isn't good enough to read the lap splits, so I just kept with the original plan of starting out at 5:10 and increasing by +1 for each km.

    546019.png




  • axe2grind wrote: »
    First attempt today and went for broke with increase by 1 second. First 2 exactly the same, so +8 for the run overall. Definitely some were = +1 second, but I leave you to decide how to interpret the times and whether I have done enough to earn any additional score to the +8.
    My sight isn't good enough to read the lap splits, so I just kept with the original plan of starting out at 5:10 and increasing by +1 for each km.

    546019.png

    Well done that's a great effort at the high risk.

    Score. Let's use actual pace as avg pace has you missing 3 splits (-6pts) reducing score to 4pts.

    Actual splits look great. Almost full progression. 1 split missed by a whisker =8pts. I won't use decimal placed in the bonus scoring, too complex. Let's say 6.1 to 5.8 classifies as a 1 sec split drop. Happy for everyone to show avg pace, actual pace, garmin, polar or strava whatever gives you the best score.

    In this instance you hit 5/9 splits (laps 5,7,8,9,10)
    Added to the progression score of +8

    Total score = 13 points and you are this months current challenge leader!

    Edit: Since you have scored +5 bonus points on the high risk, might be worth A) trying to improve that or B) score at least +5 on the medium and low risk to secure an added +3 (bonus bonus)

    Note to all: only your highest individual progression run score will count overall. Cannot add up for multiple attempts.




  • Tried the 10 mile progression run in the low risk category with 5 second progressions.
    Thought it would be handy enough to do but going by my watch lap times during the run I only got 4 splits bang on with the rest being a second too slow or fast!
    Strava splits only gave me the benefit of 2 splits being bang on with some of the splits being 3 seconds off though.
    I'll gladly take the 10 points but I don't think I'll be getting any bonus points for the rest of the month going by today's attempt!!

    Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/HNhl9rAspeb




  • Tried the 10 mile progression run in the low risk category with 5 second progressions.
    Thought it would be handy enough to do but going by my watch lap times during the run I only got 4 splits bang on with the rest being a second too slow or fast!
    Strava splits only gave me the benefit of 2 splits being bang on with some of the splits being 3 seconds off though.
    I'll gladly take the 10 points but I don't think I'll be getting any bonus points for the rest of the month going by today's attempt!!

    Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/HNhl9rAspeb

    Can you post screen shot cause I only see km? Thanks


  • Advertisement


  • Garmin connect screenshot M, it flatters me slightly more than Strava!




  • Another day another attempt. In fact I was going to attempt 2, one low risk, 1 medium risk. But having to run the final k at 4.00 pace left me too wrecked to attempt another. I thought final km was going to be at 4.10.
    and now that I see the splits, I see what happened between 6 and 7k. I jumped down by 20 secs rather than 10! :o
    So..
    10pt for full progression and +2 for 6/9 if you go by split time ignoring the hundredths. I messed up last one because I was at limit and going up an incline and ended up too quick!
    This certainly felt like a progression vs yesterday which was practically an even pace run.

    546138.png




  • March Table Update #1 :)

    A few scores on the doors

    Pos|Runner|Jan|Feb|Mar|Total
    1|crisco10*|18|17|11|48
    2|fletch*|19|18|8|47
    3|jamule*|15|19|10|46
    4|Comic Book Guy*|11|14|10|37
    5|Omeceron*|20|13||34
    6|Lambay Island|14|18||33
    7|axe2grind*||18|13|32
    8|dna_leri*|4|13|10|29
    8|mister paul*|12|16||29
    10|Kander*|10|17||28
    11|Murph_D|18|8||27
    12|Antrim Glens*||20|5|26
    13|Annie get your Run*|9|15||25
    14|Swashbuckler*|18|5||24
    15|eyrie*|18|4||23
    16|BeginnerRunner|20|||20
    16|Conor74*||20||20
    18|py*||19||19
    19|healy1835*|18|||18
    19|eposhea*||17||18
    19|Shotgunmcos*|16|2||18
    22|Unknown Unthought|17|||17
    22|ReeReeG*|5|11||17
    24|Kurt_Godel*|1|15||16
    24|TFBubendorfer*||16||16
    26|edinrunna*||14||15
    27|Dudda|13|||13
    28|Zico10*|1|11||12
    28|Dubh Geannain*|2|9||12
    28|racersedge||12||12
    28|Strawberry Swan*||12||12
    32|En Passant*|7|3||11
    33|Wubble Wubble*|10|||10
    33|jackc101*||10||10
    35|Laineyfrecks|1|7||9
    36|skyblue46|8|||8
    36|Pherekydes*|1|6||8
    38|omicron*|6|||6
    39|Huzzah|3|||3
    40|Tummer||||
    40|OOnegative||||




  • Interesting dynamic this month whereby your score is completely within in your own control. No depending on what others do.




  • crisco10 wrote: »
    Interesting dynamic this month whereby your score is completely within in your own control. No depending on what others do.

    Yup! A simple 10k progression from easy to steady pace and you bank 10 points. Likely the "easiest" 10 points of the series so far.

    In Feb you would have had to get 200m elevation or in January get within 12 seconds of the hour.

    Another thing about this month is that there is actually a max of 23 points on the line and accessible to all :D


  • Advertisement


  • fletch wrote: »
    https://www.strava.com/activities/4887381155
    So I finished bang on 10km and every lap was quicker.....bar the last one. :mad: I was actually on for the full progression but in the last 50m, I got confused and was trying to adjust my pace and instead of speeding up slightly, I slowed down. I actually came to a complete stop with about 20m to go and stood staring at the watch wondering why the numbers were going in the wrong direction. :confused: It was like a scene from Aircrash Investigations as I came to the sudden realization what was happening and sprinted the last few metres to try make up the time I had lost but it was too late, the damage was done and the plane crashed into the side of the mountain. So I make that 8 points

    My splits
    KM|Pace|Difference
    1|5:14|
    2|5:07|-7
    3|5:02|-5
    4|4:57|-5
    5|4:52|-5
    6|4:46|-6
    7|4:41|-5
    8|4:36|-5
    9|4:31|-5
    10|4:35|+4
    Had another go at this today (although went for the low risk bonus "All laps are exactly 10sec per km or 15sec per mile faster")

    Anyway, below are my splits (taking Avg Pace from my Garmin Connect activity)
    KM|Pace|Difference
    1|5:30|
    2|5:23|-7
    3|5:12|-11
    4|5:02|-10
    5|4:52|-10
    6|4:43|-9
    7|4:31|-12
    8|4:21|-10
    9|4:11|-10
    10|4:01|-10


    I make that 10 points for full progression (finished bang on 10:00 and didn't miss any splits) + 1 for 5/9 laps exactly 10secs faster giving a total of 11 points

    Hint: It's important to note that Avg Pace is a rounding of your time for a split, so if the watch flashes up with 5:19.6, that's 5:20 so you need to adjust accordingly for your next lap.




  • Just for my own sanity M, to avail of the 23 pts do you have to absolutely nail the high risk run of consecutive 1 second drops and get at least 5 points in each of the 3 category run?




  • Just for my own sanity M, to avail of the 23 pts do you have to absolutely nail the high risk run of consecutive 1 second drops and get at least 5 points in each of the 3 category run?

    Yes!

    OK to get 23 points
    10k or 10m progression (10.00) = base 10pts

    +9/9 -10 sec drops on low risk = 5pts
    +5/5 1 sec drops on med risk = 5pts
    +5/9 1 consecutive 1 sec drops on high risk = 5pts

    Hitting min 5pts on all 3 risks = 3pts.

    So your overall score is 10+5+3 = 18 points

    If you happen to hit 3/4 of the 22 or 33 sec drops on the med risk as well as 5/5 you get 8 pts for that. The 22/33 do not score themselves unless you get 5/5 1 sec, hence medium risk.

    So taking highest individual run, your score would be
    10+8+3 = 21 points.

    The high risk is worth more. 9/9 consecutive 1 sec drops nets 10 points. Assuming you bag the other 2 +5 as you described, your overall score is 10+10+3 = 23 points

    If you only successfully nail the high risk and don't bother with the others, you will score 10+10 = 20 points




  • fletch wrote: »
    Had another go at this today (although went for the low risk bonus "All laps are exactly 10sec per km or 15sec per mile faster")

    Anyway, below are my splits (taking Avg Pace from my Garmin Connect activity)
    KM|Pace|Difference
    1|5:30|
    2|5:23|-7
    3|5:12|-11
    4|5:02|-10
    5|4:52|-10
    6|4:43|-9
    7|4:31|-12
    8|4:21|-10
    9|4:11|-10
    10|4:01|-10


    I make that 10 points for full progression (finished bang on 10:00 and didn't miss any splits) + 1 for 5/9 laps exactly 10secs faster giving a total of 11 points

    Hint: It's important to note that Avg Pace is a rounding of your time for a split, so if the watch flashes up with 5:19.6, that's 5:20 so you need to adjust accordingly for your next lap.

    Nice! That gives you the lead overall at 50 points. I'll update the table every few days





  • Edit: Since you have scored +5 bonus points on the high risk, might be worth A) trying to improve that or B) score at least +5 on the medium and low risk to secure an added +3 (bonus bonus)
    Can I claim the +3 bonus?
    High risk 13pts
    Low Risk 12pts

    And today, Medium Risk 11pts
    Missed 2 of the 1 second progression, so 6pts plus 5 bonus (3 x 22secs and 2 x 1 second)


    546342.png




  • To be honest, I don't know what a tracker mortgage is, so I'll just leave these here and see what happens

    546374.png

    546376.png




  • What your man above said. Low risk, no bonus.

    I don’t think my watch is accurate enough for this kind of thing. Wild swings in lap pace with the slightest increase or decrease. Thought I was doing OK though til I uploaded. Didn’t enjoy this run - too much gawking at the watch, something I’ve gotten used to not doing over the past couple of years. HR quite high - must have been the stress!

    https://strava.app.link/06jrxFRsueb

    546396.png




  • Murph_D wrote: »
    I don’t think my watch is accurate enough for this kind of thing. Wild swings in lap pace with the slightest increase or decrease.
    You sure you have lap pace on and not instantaneous pace? I turned on "Every Second Recording" (instead of Smart Recording) and GPS + Galileo to try improve accuracy.




  • axe2grind wrote: »
    Can I claim the +3 bonus?
    High risk 13pts
    Low Risk 12pts

    And today, Medium Risk 11pts
    Missed 2 of the 1 second progression, so 6pts plus 5 bonus (3 x 22secs and 2 x 1 second)


    546342.png

    Unfortunately No. Fair play for having a go at all 3. 13 points still your top score.

    For medium risk the 3x 22 sec don't count unless you have the 5x 1 sec in the bag. You score 2x 1 sec for +2pts but missed 2 splits (-4pts). So score for that run was +6 for progression and +2 for bonus = 8 points.

    Also you need to score 10+5 on low and high risk, so 15pts total on each.

    The risks are progressively harder but the extra 3 bonus points are hardest of all!




  • Mister paul - 10 points
    -5,-5,-6,-5,-7,-4,-5,-6,-8 = 10 points for progression +0 bonus. Although 7/9 -5 would have got one and you were close with 4/9 and 5 near misses

    Murph_D - 11 points
    -6,-5,-5,-5,-6,-2,-6,-1,-11 = 10 points for progression +1 bonus for hitting the -1(as per high risk)


  • Advertisement


  • fletch wrote: »
    You sure you have lap pace on and not instantaneous pace? I turned on "Every Second Recording" (instead of Smart Recording) and GPS + Galileo to try improve accuracy.

    Yes, definitely looking at lap pace. :) Quite possible I am not using the most accurate settings alright, must check that. Thanks.




  • 1|3:59|
    2|3:55|-4
    3|3:51|-4
    4|3:48|-3
    5|3:45|-3
    6|3:44|-1
    7|3:40|-4
    8|3:39|-1
    9|3:34|-5
    10|3:31|-3

    The above table shows the times for laps 5-14 on my Strava activity.

    https://www.strava.com/activities/4919909993/laps

    This challenge suits my current training a little bit better than the February challenge did. I've no idea the total number of points I got. So shotgun you'll have to tot it uo.

    A progression run wasn't in my schedule (a 13km run was), but if I could increase my pace by only 1-2 seconds per kilometre, I'd still be able to stick with my original plan for the 13 kilometres and stay within my desired pace range. This wasn't as easy as I was hoping though, and a not insignificant wind made it even harder to meter out the effort. After a 1km warm up, I was hoping to get the challenge neatly wrapped up in the first 10km of the 13km run, but a 5 second difference between kilometres 2 and 3 scuppered those plans. I'd successfully increased the pace for those first 10km, but I thought I'd be able to nullify the 5 second gap if I kept going and submitted a 10km stint after that aberration. There was another 5 second drop thereafter though, and unfortunately there's no workaround.

    This will be my one and only effort for March, so no matter how many points it gets me, it can go into the table as my final tally.




  • Unfortunately No. Fair play for having a go at all 3. 13 points still your top score.

    For medium risk the 3x 22 sec don't count unless you have the 5x 1 sec in the bag. You score 2x 1 sec for +2pts but missed 2 splits (-4pts). So score for that run was +6 for progression and +2 for bonus = 8 points.

    Also you need to score 10+5 on low and high risk, so 15pts total on each.
    Lol, I misunderstood completely :D

    So for the extra bonus one has to opt for the 10 second low risk option and do it perfectly.

    My terrain is undulating. The end of my 2nd km is on a small incline and I have problems keeping even pace there. Of the 3 runs, I have messed that split twice. The rest of the hills are in the first half of a km, so there is time to try get pace back to target.




  • dna_leri wrote: »
    Made a first attempt at this tonight and almost ran into one of our medal hopes for Torun this weekend, also running in the woods after dark.

    Got the progression bit right but don't think I qualified for any bonus, though I still don't understand the medium bonus.
    The 1K progressions were -11,-3,-4,-7,-7,-8,-11,-10,-10.

    Started off nice and slow and increased the pace a little. Floundered a bit as I hit hills in the middle section. Came back on target towards the end and had to work on the 9th one and finished strong. I can probably make multiple attempts at this but if it's like previous challenges, my first attempt will be my best one.

    Had another go at this last night.
    Conditions were not great and did relatively better but still no bonus points.
    On my Polar watch my progressions were -9,-7,-10,-12,-9,-11,-10,-9,-12.
    Strava was a bit more generous with the roundings: -9,-8,-9,-12,-10,-10,-10,-10,-11 but still not enough.
    That's as good as my watch accuracy will allow but I might still roll the dice once more next week as it fits well with my training at the moment. Keeps those Tuesday runs from being boring and sets me up for a few short hill reps at the end.




  • zico10 wrote: »
    1|3:59|
    2|3:55|-4
    3|3:51|-4
    4|3:48|-3
    5|3:45|-3
    6|3:44|-1
    7|3:40|-4
    8|3:39|-1
    9|3:34|-5
    10|3:31|-3

    The above table shows the times for laps 5-14 on my Strava activity.

    https://www.strava.com/activities/4919909993/laps

    This challenge suits my current training a little bit better than the February challenge did. I've no idea the total number of points I got. So shotgun you'll have to tot it uo.

    A progression run wasn't in my schedule (a 13km run was), but if I could increase my pace by only 1-2 seconds per kilometre, I'd still be able to stick with my original plan for the 13 kilometres and stay within my desired pace range. This wasn't as easy as I was hoping though, and a not insignificant wind made it even harder to meter out the effort. After a 1km warm up, I was hoping to get the challenge neatly wrapped up in the first 10km of the 13km run, but a 5 second difference between kilometres 2 and 3 scuppered those plans. I'd successfully increased the pace for those first 10km, but I thought I'd be able to nullify the 5 second gap if I kept going and submitted a 10km stint after that aberration. There was another 5 second drop thereafter though, and unfortunately there's no workaround.

    This will be my one and only effort for March, so no matter how many points it gets me, it can go into the table as my final tally.

    Thank for participating. Your total is as follows

    10 points for progression
    -5 points for not stopping on 10.00
    +2 for the 2x 1 sec drops
    Total 7 points




  • Thank for participating. Your total is as follows

    10 points for progression
    -5 points for not stopping on 10.00
    +2 for the 2x 1 sec drops
    Total 7 points

    :confused: Don't worry I won't throw a strop over this, and I guess you made it clear in the OP, but I would have thought I was entitled to a warm up and cool down surely? The challenge wasn't the main goal of the run, so I wasn't going to save the 10km as one activity; no more than I needed to have a 35 minute run saved for February's Challenge, or how some people continued running after they thought an hour had gone by in January.




  • zico10 wrote: »
    :confused: Don't worry I won't throw a strop over this, and I guess you made it clear in the OP, but I would have thought I was entitled to a warm up and cool down surely? The challenge wasn't the main goal of the run, so I wasn't going to save the 10km as one activity; no more than I needed to have a 35 minute run saved for February's Challenge, or how some people continued running after they thought an hour had gone by in January.

    You split out the 35 mins for Feb. Maybe in another run you can put in a 10k progression with warm up and cool down. Rule was 10.00 so a run or a split, don't mind. Understand that your run was priority and challenge as an accessory, so thank again for participating if its your only go, you get an extra point for that anyway. Just a bit of fun :)




  • Attempt 2. I think I have this calculated correctly. On the boards with 5 points.




  • Omeceron wrote: »
    Attempt 2. I think I have this calculated correctly. On the boards with 5 points.

    Hmm
    10.00 progression = 10 points
    2 splits missed = -4 points
    3x 1 sec drops = +3 (high risk)

    Total = 9 points :)

    Note progression splits don't necessarily count by themselves (unless they are 1 sec).


  • Advertisement


  • High risk mess. 5 outta 10 , I have no idea if i get more or less points! Had a GPS disaster at the end of the 8k, was at 4:18 at .98k, it jumped to 04:15 at .99k and then back to 4.20 at 1k, fook!


    1 00:04:23
    2 00:04:23
    3 00:04:23
    4 00:04:22
    5 00:04:21
    6 00:04:20
    7 00:04:19
    8 00:04:20
    9 00:04:18
    10 00:04:17


Advertisement