Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Bride/Groom

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

woodchuck wrote: »
    Are they able to do the ceremony and dinner for only 6 guests, even if there are still level 5(ish) restrictions in place?

They are. We're able to book rooms onsite for that night as well for a good rate (much cheaper than on their website).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

They are. We're able to book rooms onsite for that night as well for a good rate (much cheaper than on their website).

Brilliant, thanks for the tip! Are there are any additional venues you've come across that can do the ceremony and meal for a small group under level 5 restrictions? Just trying to figure out all the options...

Brilliant, thanks for the tip! Are there are any additional venues you've come across that can do the ceremony and meal for a small group under level 5 restrictions? Just trying to figure out all the options...

We only looked Dublin city centre but the Shelbourne was the other main one that could cater for us. The Merrion could but charged a €2,000 "service fee" which we thought was crazy!

We contacted Fire who seemed to just ignore the possibility of a 6 max and said their minimum was 10 so I don't know how that would apply on level 5. We didn't look into it why further as there was nowhere we could stay. Some other restaurants weren't opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Neyite wrote: »
    For what it's worth, my dress is bought, it'll be tailored to fit. I adore it, and I'm damn well wearing it even if it's only 6 people that see it. I'm wearing it for me (and the photos) not them.

And if we do split it out and do our reception later, I'm wearing it then too!

This 100%. I'm wearing mine in April. 6 guests or 25 and I can't wait :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

So I started contacting hotels in Dublin today to see who can offer what for an 8 person reception. Since it has been leaked that today's plan will not have any dates for easing of restrictions past the extension of Level 5 to after easter, i need to have a back up plan in place.

I am considering emailing the people we have on our 25 person guestlist and letting them know that we are still unsure if we can have 25, but if we can then we would love for them to join us. Will let them know as soon as its clear. So they can almost be on standby and maybe let us know if they wouldn't be comfortable coming even if 25 people are allowed. We'll then email everyone not on the 25 guest list to say we have had to downsize and basically uninvite them officially.

What are others doing in terms of letting guests know the story for weddings in April/May/June? I know most won't be surprised but it would be good to let them know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

The Merrion could but charged a €2,000 "service fee" which we thought was crazy!

Was that all in or were menus and room hire on top of that?

PCros wrote: »
    Was that all in or were menus and room hire on top of that?

Including room hire but not meals. Others were charging €400/€500 room hire in comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JDWW

How are people's venues handling the restrictions?

We've been slapped with a fairly large 'Hire Fee' and an increase of the price per person for the meal if its 25 or 50 people. This seems to me like a fundamental change to the contract and they are also not offering a refund for any deposits paid so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ShortAPennt

zedhead wrote: »
    So I started contacting hotels in Dublin today to see who can offer what for an 8 person reception. Since it has been leaked that today's plan will not have any dates for easing of restrictions past the extension of Level 5 to after easter, i need to have a back up plan in place.

I am considering emailing the people we have on our 25 person guestlist and letting them know that we are still unsure if we can have 25, but if we can then we would love for them to join us. Will let them know as soon as its clear. So they can almost be on standby and maybe let us know if they wouldn't be comfortable coming even if 25 people are allowed. We'll then email everyone not on the 25 guest list to say we have had to downsize and basically uninvite them officially.

What are others doing in terms of letting guests know the story for weddings in April/May/June? I know most won't be surprised but it would be good to let them know.

Love the fact that you are being so proactive...... I am June and I think we will be in a similar boat. I am so disheartened as I really thought that by this stage we would be looking a better few weeks ahead of us.....I think you have the right attitude though. Focus on the things that we can control.

Was thinking of phoning or sending personalised cards..... maybe even say we will do an online link to the ceremony on the day and we look forward to celebrating with them when we can.....

Was thinking of phoning or sending personalised cards..... maybe even say we will do an online link to the ceremony on the day and we look forward to celebrating with them when we can.....

This was our plan before we postponed. We had arranged for an alternative version of our invite to be printed that would include a link to a live stream and a message saying that we wished they could be there but hope to be able to celebrate with them soon. We already had special name plates / favours made so were going to include them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

JDWW wrote: »

We've been slapped with a fairly large 'Hire Fee' and an increase of the price per person for the meal if its 25 or 50 people. This seems to me like a fundamental change to the contract and they are also not offering a refund for any deposits paid so far.

We postponed to from April this year to April next year so we didn’t discuss any proposed price changes to an event this year. In saying that I did have to contact our solicitor around getting out of our contract if necessary and he basically said that if they can’t honour the original contract due to govt restrictions then we would within our rights to walk away and receive our deposit paid back... whether venues have the money to return deposits is another story though.

By moving to next year the proposed price changes the venue offered were a €20 per head increase, €300 increase in the exclusivity fee, mandatory booking of a new suite room at €550 per night, min numbers increased by 10 and all 45 rooms on site had to be booked on the night (original contract was 35 rooms). These proposed increases, plus a few other issues, led us to walk away and we informed the venue of this. At which point they waived all the increases and additional rooms with the exception of the price per head increase which was changed to €10 increase, rather than €20 increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

JDWW wrote: »

I can understand the price per head increasing a bit to a certain extent, their pricing was probably originally based on minimum numbers to make it worthwhile and it's hard to run weddings at a loss on top of being closed for half the year. The hire fee is a bit mean though if it's for facilities that were previously included in the per head charge.

Probably not what you want to hear but our venue has offered us postponement to later in 2021 or 2022 at the same rates per person, hold the wedding for whatever numbers are allowed for the same rates per person (we had a room hire additional from the get go as we're having the ceremony there), or full refund of deposit which tbh I didn't expect. They've been really great, it's made things a lot easier.

We're currently trying to sort a backup date, looking unlikely at the moment that we'll manage to keep all the suppliers if we do push it out a few months, and we don't have that many.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Hey,

We are livestreaming our service, so anyone who we would have originally invited has been sent a slightly edited version of our paper invite and we asked them to RSVP by a certain date if they'd like to be given a link to view the service. Lots of lovely messages so far and plenty of RSVPs which is so nice.
    We have sent paper invites by post to our 6 and have told our 25 they are on the list, so if it stays at 6, they will watch virtually.
    Our venue is throwing curveballs at us now by increasing the cost of rooms, taking away stuff that was originally agreed and charging us for stuff that was supposed to be complimentary. It's really leaving a sour taste, but trying to keep the end goal in mind. X

Well that announcement was fairly useless. For anyone who is interested, the "updated plan" is published here:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c4876-covid-19-resilience-and-recovery-2021-the-path-ahead/

Nothing appears to have changed for weddings though:
    Level 5: 6 guests
    Level 4: 6 guests
    Level 3: 25 guests
    Level 4: 50 guests
    Level 5: 100 guests

And no indication of how quickly we'll go through the levels. "Sure we'll review again at Easter". Fcuk sake like. How are people supposed to plan anything. I'm not even talking about weddings, but people who are trying to earn a living and have no idea when they'll be able to go back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 redheadcork

Any more thoughts anyone? I take it we are looking at 6 for the foreseeable!
    I agree no proper clear roadmap for anyone including businesses

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

We're on April 10th and set with going ahead.

Phone call with the hotel organised for tomorrow, will provide some clarity as to what our options are.

The priest is an old family friend and has hinted that he would allow 20 or so to attend the ceremony even in Level 4-5. Socially distanced, masks and it's a massive venue tbf.

Measured my ringer with thread and a ruler earlier as we're sussing out wedding bands. Strange times but we'll have stories to tell when we're old and grey :p

I notice under the adjusted Covid plan weddings at level 3 are not allowed have guests travel from their county. Oddly though the bride and groom can. So what the pair of you can travel for your wedding to say Galway but none of your guests are allowed attend.

I notice under the adjusted Covid plan weddings at level 3 are not allowed have guests travel from their county. Oddly though the bride and groom can. So what the pair of you can travel for your wedding to say Galway but none of your guests are allowed attend.

I reckon that's an outdated oversight that needs to be updated. There was definitely a point where we were at level 3 and guests couldn't travel between counties to attend. But even under level 5 now, attending a wedding is one of the reasons allowed to travel beyond your 5km (including outside your county). I can't see level 3 being more strict. I'm sure it's just littered with errors that need to be updated.

I'm not sure who we contact for clarity though?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

To echo woodchuck, I also wouldn't worry about the above (and I'm saying that as a bride who has all guests travelling out of county for a wedding that can only go ahead in level 3 :D )

Even if it is the intention, let's face it - guards are very rarely actually stopping people and turning them back. It would want to be a cold-hearted b*stard who turned away e.g: parents from attending a child's wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

Just emailed the registry office in dublin regarding capacity for the different levels. Got an automated response that has the following.
    • If you're due to marry in our Dublin Registry Office, our numbers are restricted to 12 guests due to social distancing and reduced to 6 during level 5 restrictions. These numbers include the couple.

• If you're due to marry in our Kildare Registry Office, our numbers are restricted to 4 guests due to social distancing. This number includes the couple.

• If you're due to marry in our Wicklow Registry Office, our numbers are restricted to 15 guests due to social distancing and reduced to 6 during level 5 restrictions. These numbers include the couple.

So now I need to find out if the hotels I am contacting can also host the ceremony and find a celebrant that will not break the bank. Just feels like nothing is going to go right. I am so disheartened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Phrisbo

Can’t decide whether to postpone end of May date back to late summer or to stick it out and see what happens. I’d be delighted with 25. If I want any kind of decent date at the venue I feel I should make a call on it this week.

It looks like the early 5th April easing won’t include an increase on indoor gatherings to 25. It will be outdoor meet ups and sport etc.

But if there’s another easing at end of April start of May it’s impossible to predict if it will move the wedding number or not. I think that could be non essential retail and maybe services like barbers etc.

It looks like all of hospitality will be closed until end of June. All the business supports were extended from 5th March to end of June, maybe there’s a message in that on what they’re thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Phrisbo wrote: »
    Can’t decide whether to postpone end of May date back to late summer or to stick it out and see what happens. I’d be delighted with 25. If I want any kind of decent date at the venue I feel I should make a call on it this week.

It looks like the early 5th April easing won’t include an increase on indoor gatherings to 25. It will be outdoor meet ups and sport etc.

But if there’s another easing at end of April start of May it’s impossible to predict if it will move the wedding number or not. I think that could be non essential retail and maybe services like barbers etc.

It looks like all of hospitality will be closed until end of June. All the business supports were extended from 5th March to end of June, maybe there’s a message in that on what they’re thinking.

I think the wedding numbers override the indoor gathering rule. each level for numbers of guests at weddings says 'regardless of venue'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Phrisbo

Goose76 wrote: »
    I think the wedding numbers override the indoor gathering rule. each level for numbers of guests at weddings says 'regardless of venue'.

I agree. They’ve abandoned the levels in that it’s been reported repeatedly that they won’t move from one level to another again.

Instead they’re taking it one restriction at a time with breaks in between. Yet the levels are still there... if they’re not going to declare that the country moving on to level 4 or level 3 then what’s the point of the levels? Isn’t that literally what they’re designed to do?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058148612/1/#post115892026

This thread might be useful.

My brother got his deposit back following a letter to the venue from his solicitor.

Phrisbo wrote: »
    I agree. They’ve abandoned the levels in that it’s been reported repeatedly that they won’t move from one level to another again.

Where did you see it mentioned they won’t move from one level to another?
    First I heard of this, I assumed as others did that this was the point of the levels.

First I heard of this, I assumed as others did that this was the point of the levels.

Based on past experience, I wouldn't expect them to move cleanly from one level to another either. They've always seemed to use it as more of à la carte menu! Level 3 plus, level 5 minus and so on.

Even at the moment, we're way beyond level 5. We're in a not so hypothetical level 6, which isn't even captured on the plan.

The plan talks about the following, when looking beyond April 5th:
     Areas for consideration if the situation improves sufficiently will include:
    o Some easing of restrictions on outdoor activities and meetings beyond 1 other
    household.
    o Consideration of extending the current 5km limit.
    o Staggered start of easing of other areas of activity with a focus on outdoor activities
    including sport and some areas of construction.

I.e. not a clean cut move to any particular level outlined in the plan.

It also states that any further easing of restrictions after 5th April will need a further 3-4 week period to allow for assessment of the impact of changes.

This whole process is going to be incredibly slow going and we really have no idea when they'll give the green light for more guests to attend weddings again. Sure they've no clue themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/q-a-what-can-we-expect-in-today-s-revised-living-with-covid-plan-1.4492014?mode=amp

“The idea is to take individual small steps, measure, and then hopefully proceed, sources say - rather than wholesale shifts between levels which unlock a whole range of activities all at once”.

That’s not necessarily gospel but it was mentioned in the papers that the future would be using more individual measures and less levels.

Based on past experience, I wouldn't expect them to move cleanly from one level to another either. They've always seemed to use it as more of à la carte menu! Level 3 plus, level 5 minus and so on.

Even at the moment, we're way beyond level 5. We're in a not so hypothetical level 6, which isn't even captured on the plan.

The plan talks about the following, when looking beyond April 5th:

I.e. not a clean cut move to any particular level outlined in the plan.

It also states that any further easing of restrictions after 5th April will need a further 3-4 week period to allow for assessment of the impact of changes.

This whole process is going to be incredibly slow going and we really have no idea when they'll give the green light for more guests to attend weddings again. Sure they've no clue themselves...

Ya we are nearly in a level 6 aren’t we. And they made a haims of it before Christmas so they’re going to be more cautious. We have decided to postpone to October. I haven’t been able to say it out loud though, it’s very disappointing. But I think we won’t see things improve enough. We want more than 6. And I don’t want to be holding out hope for it either. We will postpone once and if the situation is as bad in October, which I doubt, we are just doing it.
    Half tempted to get a blessing on our original wedding date.
    Have ye decided woodchuck?

I think we're going to postpone to September or October. We just got a list of dates from our venue this evening, so we need to contact our other suppliers now to see if we can find a date that all/most are available. Hopefully we can pin down a date soon enough. Our original date from last year is available with our venue, so it would be nice if that could be our "new" date, but we'd need to get very lucky with all of our suppliers.

We're hoping things will be better by then due to the vaccine rollout. We're reluctant to go into the winter months though. Even if things go well with the vaccines, we can see the government ramping up the restrictions again in winter due to people gather indoors, the fear of variants and the fear of the hospitals becoming overwhelmed.

I don't think we'll bother with a ceremony or the legal bit before that. It seems a bit pointless and stressful doing 2 weddings only a few months apart. It would only be because of the fear of one of us dying and the other being lumped with inheritance tax, but I don't want the fear of something that is incredibly unlikely to happen to dictate our decision.

• Advertisement

I’m glad to hear you’ve come to a decision woodchuck. I’ve felt so sorry for you recently with all the difficulties you’ve had. I hope this gives you some peace of mind and takes some of the pressure off you now and that your family becomes more supportive with the longer lead time. It would be so nice to have your original date this year too. Nearly seems like fate! Best of luck with your suppliers, if you aren’t able to keep some of them I’m sure people here will have lots of recommendations :)

Advertisement