Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will tourists be allowed to visit Ireland this summer if they've had their vaccine?

Options
  • 20-02-2021 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

I'm in the UK but from Ireland originally and I own a holiday home in the west of Ireland.
    I think myself and my wife will have had both jabs by July and we would like to visit Ireland in August for a few weeks with our kids.
    Do you think this will be allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

The vaccine does not prevent the infects spreading. People who have had it still have to wear masks. A person who has been vaccinated can still get the virus. It is said the vaccine only lights the bad systems and may prevent deaths.

Does this answer your question ?

P.S. I would love to visit Ireland soon !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

gar32 wrote: »
    The vaccine does not prevent the infects spreading. People who have had it still have to wear masks. A person who has been vaccinated can still get the virus. It is said the vaccine only lights the bad systems and may prevent deaths.

Does this answer your question ?

P.S. I would love to visit Ireland soon !!!!

This is completely untrue. Scientists involved in the vaccines stated before that they did not know if vaccines reduced transmission because there were no trials for this. Data now (unsurprisingly) shows that transmission is greatly reduced.

Data analysis in a study by the Israeli Health Ministry and Pfizer Inc found the Pfizer vaccine developed with Germany’s BioNTech reduces infection, including in asymptomatic cases, by 89.4% and in syptomatic cases by 93.7%.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-israel-vaccine-int-idUSKBN2AJ08J

The Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine appears to substantially reduce transmission of the virus, rather than simply preventing symptomatic infections, UK researchers have suggested.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/03/health/astrazeneca-vaccine-transmission-gbr-intl/index.html

john9876 wrote: »
    I'm in the UK but from Ireland originally and I own a holiday home in the west of Ireland.
    I think myself and my wife will have had both jabs by July and we would like to visit Ireland in August for a few weeks with our kids.

If we had a logical, reasonable government I would say yes, but considering the solo run we did on travel in the EU last summer I wouldn't get your hopes up TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

Why would you want to,there’s going to be **** all open

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ireland is closed, no International Tourism will occur this year.... Stay home International people, we don't want your Virus variants, stay out!! :mad:

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ireland is closed, no International Tourism will occur this year.... Stay home International people, we don't want your Virus variants, stay out!! :mad:

An Irishman living in UK who will have received the vaccine by then wants to come here for a few weeks. What’s the big deal!!

john9876 wrote: »

Check department of foreign affairs website. Quarantine being brought in here but legislation around details of this not till a few weeks time. Don’t know what it would/ wouldn’t mean for you.Media leaks saying we’ll be in level 5 till mid summer which would mean very little open.

gansi wrote: »
    An Irishman living in UK who will have received the vaccine by then wants to come here for a few weeks. What’s the big deal!!

Thread title said "Will Tourists"....

They can still carry the "Kent" Variant and should stay in the UK.

And you’ll get to decide that. Just brilliant not!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

90% of current cases here are that variant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

We are still paying the price because fcukers couldn't stay away for christmas. You do realise that despite having the vaccine, you can still pass this virus so please stay the fcuk away

Individuals can't stop people, however the Government and the Gardai will.

Stheno wrote: »

Exactly, it didn't arrive by the wind... People need to stay away from Ireland, we don't want anymore variant!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Y, ridiculous that we ended up with the Brazilian and South African variants here.

Y, ridiculous that we ended up with the Brazilian and South African variants here.

More travelers from abroad = more variant.

Shut the borders now!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    We are still paying the price because fcukers couldn't stay away for christmas. You do realise that despite having the vaccine, you can still pass this virus so please stay the fcuk away

Unless you are going to a sinn fein funeral

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

If its allowed come on over dont worry about jabs. Have a lowkey holiday in your west ireland home picnics beach etc.... enjoy you deserve your holiday. Do a Lamps/PCR test before arriving and on return. The country is currently in a mess but hopefully we'll be out of it by this summer or next....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

I don't envisage any non-essential incoming travel into Ireland being allowed for the rest of 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭beachhead

More twanks on this thread.If we had a competent government who could organise a piss up in a brewery then it will be safe for "tourists" to visit this year.But we don't.They arn't even winging it at the moment.The vaccine jab is not a cure all.It is way too soon even for the Israelis to telling the planet what they think is right.Especially them.The vacccine does not grant immunity to anyone.It reduces the severity of an attack only for a limited period after injection.

beachhead wrote: »
    More twanks on this thread.If we had a competent government who could organise a piss up in a brewery then it will be safe for "tourists" to visit this year.But we don't.They arn't even winging it at the moment.The vaccine jab is not a cure all.It is way too soon even for the Israelis to telling the planet what they think is right.Especially them.The vacccine does not grant immunity to anyone.It reduces the severity of an attack only for a limited period after injection.

Exactly, who do they think they are!! The Vaccine isn't the end it's the start...! What we need is to close the Borders to those internationals for the next 3 years starting now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

what the fcuk has sf got with thread, or do you blame them for evrything ffs

Exactly, who do they think they are!! The Vaccine isn't the end it's the start...! What we need is to close the Borders to those internationals for the next 3 years starting now!!!

The next 3 years?! I take it you don't have family abroad.
    beachhead wrote: »

Do you have any evidence to back up that statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Sure, this is the week last year that they all came home from their skiing holidays in Italy and infected the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭dpaulod

I'm sure by July things will open up. All the over 70's will have had a jab and government will allow tourists from so called green zones. Fingers crossed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Stheno wrote: »

What we don't know is what other variants will appear. The Brazilian one is now being reported in Ireland. Over the past 6 months we've seen UK, Brazil and South African variants emerge. Who's to say where the next problematical one might be? We are not going to be allowing "tourists" in until we feel we can properly guard against any emerging issues with this virus. I think people, governments and health authorities are starting to understand these issues. I also think a strategy to hold these developments at bay has not been developed yet. All we have at present is largely closed borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

I'm optimistic things will open up faster than many expect. The UK is now on track for full vaccination by July, and the US is in a similar position, I believe.

They are the two biggest incoming tourist markets. People might be asking by August, once these countries have herd immunity, is a mutation more likely to emerge from countries without Covid (or with very low levels of Covid) or from staycation tourists from Ireland where the virus is still circulating?

Once other countries inevitably start admitting US and UK tourists before Ireland, anyone in the tourist industry will be hopping mad after over a year of closure that their business is going to other markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

One things for sure, the governmemt will turn a blind eye to americans and brits travelling this summer while chastising our own for leaving . It has been a double standard since lockdown 1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Just come if you want it'll likely be a similar story to last summer advisory is mandatory and guidelines are not laws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

It brilliant to see returning and new tourists think about holidays here again. A vaccine passport will be introduced by then though if GB is part of this remains to be seen but it’s highly likely it will. This will allow free movement without PCR testing or isolation - both of which are needed if you travel now.

Advertisement