Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish media hysteria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I used to believe in the concept of a free media. Up until recently, the thought of controlling it made me think of tin-pot dictatorships and failed states.

However, after watching the blatant doom merchanting of RTE the past year or so, I've now totally reconsidered my view on this. Their narrative of non-stop hysteria, distortion of figures, blatant bias and absence of any real debate of the whole covid situation is very dangerous in my view. It's filling peoples heads with fear and nonsense in equal measure.

The doom and misery may be great for RTE viewership numbers and ratings (they literally have a "captive audience" who cannot leave their homes afterall!) but I believe they have utterly failed to keep the public informed in an even-handed manner about current affairs. As a state-owned broadcaster, I believe they have a moral duty to do this.

If TLDR - I think stronger state-control of media is a potentially good thing? Christ what's the world coming to :eek:

Yep. Figured it out about 10 years ago myself. RTE is nothing more than a media outlet for government propaganda. It serves the government, not us. Like you I thought surely not in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    And yet the Late Late Show thread in the TV forum gets 500 replies some Fridays

Stop. Watching. RTE.

Stop listening to their radio stations.

Stop giving RTE.ie clicks.

It's 2021 ffs. You have options

But the nation pays for RTE, that's why so many get annoyed by what they report and how they report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

More context here

There goes my last little bit of respect for O'Neil

He's nothing more than a celeb wannabe now

https://twitter.com/ClaireByrneLive/status/1358926477228732418

Made it 11 seconds before I had to stop. Levels of cringe that shouldn't be possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

ek motor wrote: »
    Made it 11 seconds before I had to stop. Levels of cringe that shouldn't be possible.

11 months ago Luke O'Neill was the bright optimism the country needed

Now he's the Immunologist equivalent of Amanda Holden. He'd show up at the opening of an envelope

ek motor wrote: »

The man's a multi millionaire now after his company sell off, and I think he likes the attention of being on t.v. and radio now.

Wouldn't be surprised If he isn't being lined up for a show of his own.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    The man's a multi millionaire now after his company sell off

And wasn't it something like a $300 million sale too? He was a partner in the company so even after tax he's sitting on $100 million+

Yesterday a man with that net worth was not only on Newstalk, but later that night was walking around on national TV in a giant bubble for fúcks sake

There's something very off about him tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

One of the worst things to come out of this pandemic has been the emergence of Luke O'Neill.....

An insufferable prick...the man simply has no shame....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭bloopy

One of the worst things to come out of this pandemic has been the emergence of Luke O'Neill.....

An insufferable prick...the man simply has no shame....

Heard him on Newstalk the other morning and he sounded like a dodgy salesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/uk/common-asthma-treatment-cuts-need-for-covid-19-patients-to-go-to-hospital/

Any sign of good news like this on RTE? I see nothing on the website yet anyway

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/uk/common-asthma-treatment-cuts-need-for-covid-19-patients-to-go-to-hospital/

Any sign of good news like this on RTE? I see nothing on the website yet anyway

To be fair, it's a study with a sample size of 146.

It's a stretch to call it positive news at this point. Would need a lot more studies done on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Just finished reading today’s Sunday Times.

I was 10 pages in and enjoying the paper before I realised there was minimal coverage on COVID. It must have been a conscious decision by the paper because it’s actually noticeable how little attention it has this week.

Very refreshing to be able to read a Sunday paper without being overloaded on negative COVID coverage.

Well done to The Sunday Times. Hopefully others will follow suit and limit the bad news! Did anyone else notice the same?

Matt Cooper is like a really bad film that crosses over into unintentional Comedy

I now only listen to the first 10 minutes of his show to see just how hilarious he's going to get

Today's literal first 10 seconds:

"On today's Last Word;

Will we now not be allowed to holiday in even Ireland this year? And later; is there a more horrendous Wave 4 still to come?"

:pac:

PRES-DEBATE-JH4790184148.jpg

He then loses it with a listener who texts in criticizing his opening story about "domestic holidays possibly now in jeopardy as well"

Awful man. Awful broadcasting

Question: is the UK still getting bombarded with "news" like this? I don't watch Sky News but I'm presuming even they have moved onto more positive vaccination stories

Why the fcuk is the "leader" of Ireland delivering huge news like this via an 'exclusive interview' with the Irish Daily Mirror?

Nine more weeks of 'severe lockdown', Taoiseach Micheal Martin confirms

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/nine-more-weeks-severe-lockdown-23526450.amp?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar&__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Why the fcuk is the "leader" of Ireland delivering huge news like this via an 'exclusive interview' with the Irish Daily Mirror?

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/nine-more-weeks-severe-lockdown-23526450.amp?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar&__twitter_impression=true

Cos he is a wassock

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Because the Irish people have rolled over and done whatever they were told already so why wouldn't they do it again?

The weakest "leader" and weakest "minister of Health" during a once in a lifetime pandemic

Mehole continues to flip flop

https://twitter.com/sharonmlynch/status/1362804622079983618?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

My biggest issue with the media through this whole pandemic is they give the number of cases and deaths and that’s more or less it. There’s been very little to no context for those numbers. I will say that fergal Bowers has done Trojan work in trying to add the necessary context to the numbers when giving the daily numbers. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s gotten messages from family after numbers have been released with no context to them and said family member in a panic.

I’ve stopped watching the daily briefings because it’s not worth it IMO. You’ll only depress yourself more. I check rte.ie and then the cork city section of here. That’s it.

And look I know the media were always going to cover this thing because one it’s a huge news story and two in rtes case they’re a national broadcaster so it’s part of their remit imo. It’s the nearly constant doom and gloom which I don’t like. We know the situation is ****, we don’t need that compounded unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    My biggest issue with the media through this whole pandemic is they give the number of cases and deaths and that’s more or less it. There’s been very little to no context for those numbers. I will say that fergal Bowers has done Trojan work in trying to add the necessary context to the numbers when giving the daily numbers. I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s gotten messages from family after numbers have been released with no context to them and said family member in a panic.

I’ve stopped watching the daily briefings because it’s not worth it IMO. You’ll only depress yourself more. I check rte.ie and then the cork city section of here. That’s it.

And look I know the media were always going to cover this thing because one it’s a huge news story and two in rtes case they’re a national broadcaster so it’s part of their remit imo. It’s the nearly constant doom and gloom which I don’t like. We know the situation is ****, we don’t need that compounded unnecessarily.

If we only counting as cases were people who turned up in doctors surgeries the numbers would be too small to strike enough fear into people....this is mass hysteria that cannot be maintained for much longer...it will be interesting what happens after the hysteria recedes...how much liberties we get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ElektroToad

I want a goddamn inquisition into the Irish media and particularly RTE as a whole after this nonsense is eover.

The constant doom and gloom for clicks is an utter perversion of their civic duty as the national broadcaster to inform the Irish people of the risk of COVID in a measured manner.

Yes, the government message should be communicated, but it should also be challenged where appropriate.

Instead, there is no attempt to dig in or provide a reasonable analysis of the cases, deaths, the trends we are seeing. No mention of the broader or longer-term implications of these lockdowns on Irish society ( e.g. economic costs, the damage incurred to millennials and generation Z who again get shafted financially during the most productive years of their lives, non-COVID deaths etc.)

Instead, they are driving the fear and hysteria into overdrive to keep people glued to their screens and giving media oxygen to 'zero-COVID nutjobs' and medical professionals with a blatant commercial agenda to boost their own profiles.

Also notice that no mention of how rest of Europe is getting on? We all remember images of nursing homes in Northern Italy this time last year, but no images of Italy now, given that the restaurants and cafes are open again and people are taking matters into their own hands in a bid to return to normality!

/Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

They only care about clicks, coverage, more advertising etc. That's their goal.

They feign abhorration and preach at us from a supposed higher moral ground, but it's all bull****. They have no dog in the fight. It's all about just keeping the hype going and increasing their coverage.

Pre level 5 they whipped up a maelstrom at the urgency of the situation and the need to shut down immediately. The next day it was all about poor businesses being shut, level 5 being too harsh etc. Pure manipulation.

They are just playing with peoples emotions. Its evil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

They only care about clicks, coverage, more advertising etc. That's their goal.

They feign abhorration and preach at us from a supposed higher moral ground, but it's all bull****. They have no dog in the fight. It's all about just keeping the hype going and increasing their coverage.

Pre level 5 they whipped up a maelstrom at the urgency of the situation and the need to shut down immediately. The next day it was all about poor businesses being shut, level 5 being too harsh etc. Pure manipulation.

They are just playing with peoples emotions. Its evil.

Agreed. Still though, it's bittersweet that it's taken this situation for many people to realize how bad supposed journalism is. This kind of behavior isn't new, it's been around since the inception of journalism. Once COVID is done, if it ever is, they'll be straight onto some new "crisis", that we should all worry deeply about.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I heard McDonkey was on the radio again today spreading his "thoughts" as facts

I've done some digging and found this site for issuing complaints about radio and TV broadcasts in Ireland

We should keep each other upto date via this thread about who's being a wanker and then start complaining to the BAI en mass

https://www.bai.ie/en/viewers-listeners/complaints/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Mcdonkey same head that was on today fm 2 weeks ago saying itll be around for another 5 years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

RTE going with this tonight

https://www.rte.ie/news/us/2021/0221/1198452-coronavirus-us/

rte want the virus to stay and all of us in like sheep watching their propaganda news

Via the main thread

Re: McDonkey

Look at this shambolic laundry list of things he got wrong

He said, and I quote, that Covid was going to be "the Spanish flu, mixed up with the Irish civil war, which was 100 years ago, mixed up with the 1929 stock market crash". He went on to say, and again I quote: "I estimate there could be between 80 and 120,000 deaths.".

In the same interview, he stated: "Our best case scenario we’ve passed. My median scenario is that we’d have a 20 per cent attack rate and 20,000 deaths".

He then went on to say: "Worst case scenario is potentially up to an 80 per cent attack rate — that’s four million and again the two per cent death rate which could even be three or four per cent"

(That's him up to 160,000 deaths now).

Other McDonkey predictions include a 10pm curfew (October) under Level Six restrictions of our Five Level system, and then went onto predict Level Ten restrictions.

He is a catastrophist who has completely lost the run of himself.

"catastrophist" is one word to call him

Another - and I only use this for the "special" people in the world, is "cúnt"

user_offline.pngreport.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Matt Cooper just read out the UK road map as if it was ours and then ended it with "there's just one catch. It only applies to six of our counties"

Tosser.

Matt Cooper just read out the UK road map as if it was ours and then ended it with "there's just one catch. It only applies to six of our counties"

Tosser.

He's blatantly trolling people now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Ah now lads it could be a lot worse, what if listening to anything other than Irish stations was punishable by death!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksempf%C3%A4nger

(And yes, I know who Godwin was)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Tosser.

And it doesn't even apply there. The road map today was for England only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why would RTÉ broadcast things said about the virus if they were not true?

Advertisement