Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish media hysteria

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

smck321 wrote: »
    ICU has been split into non covid and covid, non covid has 3 beds with 2 occupied and covid has 4 beds with 3 occupied.

So you still have 25% of your allocated beds free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

How many covid patients have you in ICU and how many ICU beds in total have you if you dont mind me asking?

You and me need to get down and dirty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Rte shove covid into everything. Watching a cooking show earlier and it was shoved in there. Can they not give it a break?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭acequion

And you sound like someone who had to stop himself using the work cuck in that sentance.

You actually sound like somebody not worth talking to. A sanctimonious dismissive attitude to those you consider know less than you. Just like our pay masters. And just like the media the OP references in his/her thread title.

As I don't like like talking to such people I'll wish you good night and hope you calm down soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭smck321

begbysback wrote: »
    So you still have 25% of your allocated beds free.

If you are happy with having 2 beds, 1 covid and 1 non covid for 100k people thats fine. All it takes is one car crash and theres a very serious decision to be made then.

acequion wrote: »
    You actually sound like somebody not worth talking to. A sanctimonious dismissive attitude to those you consider know less than you. Just like our pay masters. And just like the media the OP references in his/her thread title.

As I don't like like talking to such people I'll wish you good night and hope you calm down soon.

Thats ok good night.

Your defence of pretending the opposing side is angry to avoid having your views challenged is working I see.

Thats ok good night.

Your defence of pretending the opposing side is angry to avoid having your views challenged is working I see.

Oh will you go away and get over yourself :rolleyes:

Go have a drink. You sound like you need it!

Oops have I walked myself into a lecture on one of the seven deadly sins :D:D

If you are happy with having 2 beds, 1 covid and 1 non covid for 100k people thats fine. All it takes is one car crash and theres a very serious decision to be made then.

Now you and I both know that’s really nonsense, you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to work out how to obtain other ICU beds if they are needed, I’m starting to think you’re working for RTÉ, or you have at least swallowed all of their spiel.

acequion wrote: »
    Oh will you go away and get over yourself :rolleyes:

Go have a drink. You sound like you need it!

Oops have I walked myself into a lecture on one of the seven deadly sins :D:D

I'm not your mother, nor does putting a few smilies in your post make it seem like you are the less angry one and therefore the winner, in your eyes at least.

• Advertisement

Now you and I both know that’s really nonsense, you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to work out how to obtain other ICU beds if they are needed, I’m starting to think you’re working for RTÉ, or you have at least swallowed all of their spiel.

Galway was full as of last week refusing any transfers, so where else are they meant to go?

Its fine if you want to believe that I'm 'big media' and yes on the internet I could be a dog for all you know, all I can do is tell you what I can see. If you want to tell me I'm lying thats fine, I'll still go into work tomorrow and do my job. We have to be pesimists in this job because more often than not it happens. But if you don't want to believe it thats fine, just don't act shocked when it happens.

Galway was full as of last week refusing any transfers, so where else are they meant to go?

Maybe send them to another hospital who have 25% of their beds free like you have now?

Take away the drama and use rational common sense.

I'm not your mother, nor does putting a few smilies in your post make it seem like you are the less angry one and therefore the winner, in your eyes at least.

You really are embarrassing yourself at this stage. Grasping at straws to win an Internet argument. I very much hope you're not a doctor with that attitude! Things really are bad enough.

Maybe send them to another hospital who have 25% of their beds free like you have now?

Take away the drama and use rational common sense.

Those hospitals also have patients coming in who require those beds as well. Its not as if they serve 0 population so naturally theres a need to have an "emergency" bed free for when its acutely needed.

All it would require to fill the free bed is one ROSC in a cardiac arrest and now its gone. Then imagine someone comes into ED who needs an ICU bed and you see where the issue lies.

If that patient cannot go from ED to ICU immediately the ED resus becomes ICU and the already stretched ED staff need to monitor the patient in ED. If the patient in ED needs intubated the anaestetic reg needs to stay with them as ED staff aren't trained in intubation managment.

The anaesthetic reg then isn't free to see cases on the wards, anaestetic cases or any surgery cases and this is how things quickly snowball.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

You sound like a middle aged woman trying to sell me crystals.
    you sound like someone who had to stop himself using the work cuck in that sentance.
    I'm not your mother

Stop now, this is your only warning

Those hospitals also have patients coming in who require those beds as well. Its not as if they serve 0 population so naturally theres a need to have an "emergency" bed free for when its acutely needed.

All it would require to fill the free bed is one ROSC in a cardiac arrest and now its gone. Then imagine someone comes into ED who needs an ICU bed and you see where the issue lies.

If that patient cannot go from ED to ICU immediately the ED resus becomes ICU and the already stretched ED staff need to monitor the patient in ED. If the patient in ED needs intubated the anaestetic reg needs to stay with them as ED staff aren't trained in intubation managment.

The anaesthetic reg then isn't free to see cases on the wards, anaestetic cases or any surgery cases and this is how things quickly snowball.

It does sound dire. Absolutely dire. I work in the public service too, I'm a teacher and I see the joke of a service provided despite how we the practitioners try our damndest to provide some kind of quality service.

But berating the public who are robbed in taxes is not the right way. Nor are insults or put downs.

Trying to offer an olive branch here as you may well be an exhausted frontliner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Glad to see people are wising up to this BS. Wish we had someone here call out RTE for all the scaremongering like this guy

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

ICU has been split into non covid and covid, non covid has 3 beds with 2 occupied and covid has 4 beds with 3 occupied.

But there's always pressure on our inadequate ICU capacity, especially in autumn and winter.

It wasn't all hunky dory before Covid arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

bush wrote: »
    Rte shove covid into everything. Watching a cooking show earlier and it was shoved in there. Can they not give it a break?

I used to throw on the Irish stations as background noise when I got up in the morning. I don't even bother anymore, as I'm simply sick of the same ****e everyday, virus this, virus that. Same goes for the radio, I never turn it on anymore.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Was dissapointed at how much Covid was mentioned in the Sunday game analysis before Clare and Limerick.

The reason I'd tuned was to find a semblance of normality and forget about Covid. The build up shots put a real downer on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Was dissapointed at how much Covid was mentioned in the Sunday game analysis before Clare and Limerick.

The reason I'd tuned was to find a semblance of normality and forget about Covid. The build up shots put a real downer on it.

Negativity is more infectious than COVID and it's everywhere in the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭atilladehun

News on the hour every hour is awful for this. As far as I know stations are required to do this but I think it's created a weak headline media and made listeners satisfied with partial information only focused on entertaining news.

They should be focused on quality, not quantity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

GazzaL wrote: »
    Negativity is more infectious than COVID and it's everywhere in the media.

The heavy negative sells so much easier than a positive.

Really just dragging people down, we have to seperate ourselves from the constant downer.

Also struggling with the fact that the media (especially radio) are actually paid for their Covid reports, I can understand wanting to keep it at the forefront but don't think it's a good thing either.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Glad to see people are wising up to this BS. Wish we had someone here call out RTE for all the scaremongering like this guy

If only we had some politicians here to say that about RTE and BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

We might need some politicians to say that, but jesus we do NOT need an Irish Trump. Dear god, imagine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

https://twitter.com/cjsnowdon/status/1321785389347229696?s=19

Channel 4 has done very well out of lockdown. I would imagine the figures are replicated all over. Its almost as if Lockdowns are really good for the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

They really are absolute cúnts

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1328304597040041987

Hit them where it hurts: don't pay your next TV license

There's not a judge in the land who'll take any license case serious next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    They really are absolute cúnts

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1328304597040041987

Hit them where it hurts: don't pay your next TV license

There's not a judge in the land who'll take any license case serious next year

Proof that they have no intention of ever permanently getting rid of these restrictions. Why is a vaccine with a 95% success rate not enough for a virus with a survival rate of 99.96%? Too bad we don't have an honest media to ask these questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Forgive me for starting a thread if one already exists - I’ve read so many different threads and posts I’ve probably missed the obvious however...

It seems everyone is waiting daily for the 6pm figures to find out the latest cases and deaths situation. It’s scary to see how every single media outlet in this country is putting all their attention on this (yes, gloom sells). Not just RTE, but the other stations and every single paper has the latest on the front page in some form or another.

Contrast this to European media - search any of the national news channels or newspapers and you’ll find its never (usually) the top story. They are over the initial panic and are I guess realise they are in for the long haul with this virus.

People here are only obsessed with three things; deaths, cases and the “R” number. I’m not a Statistician or epidemiologist but a few weeks ago when there was concern and hype raised over the R number increasing beyond 1 on the basis of 20 odd cases or so made me completely lose faith in the strategy of the government/NPHET. 10mins reading about R numbers will prove it’s not an effective measurement with low numbers yet this was peddled across the media.

The fear-mongering of the Irish media is seriously starting to affect the mental health of the population - I’m sure everyone has witnessed it on a personal level either themselves or their friends/family. If you’re get stressed I highly recommend deleting the news apps, distract yourself around 6pm when you know the figures will be released, and try enjoy the last of the long days and sunshine because if the current media narrative continues, it’s going to be a miserable winter.

Ireland needs to evolve from our sheepish culture and learn to think outside the box and make our own opinions of matters. The media need to tone down the hysteria and the government need to realise this virus is here to stay so have to start making some difficult decisions against the ultra-conservative NPHET advice to safeguard the country.

Thoughts?

Ireland evolving from it's sheepish culture? Hah don't make me laugh.

This is superb from this man

RTE get the hole tore off them here

https://twitter.com/MlMcNamaraTD/status/1357327141348769798

I wonder is that why some of their headlines today have a slightly more positive slant about them?

Utter, utter ****

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Agreed. Hope there are more TDs who challenge this situation.

I observed this week the top story for a few days on RTE and most outlets was about international travel, yet buried in the back of the website was this article about the extent of outbreaks and deaths in nursing homes etc:

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0202/1194446-coronavirus-ireland/

As has been attested to in other threads, even on positive days the media/gov/NPHET will always spin bad news.

I can understand a lot of the spin is to keep people in line for the seriousness of the virus, but the negativity and pessimism here is disgraceful. At least the UK media seems balanced with war-time spirit of highlighting their vaccination programme for optimism.

Edit. 6 months since topic started - glad to see there has been a shift in policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I saw an article on the RTE website the other day:

"Five uplifting lockdown movies to make you feel better"

Eh how about putting a little bit of positivity in your news reporting instead?

Clowns

You just know the Forbes wan sent out an email to the top brass in News asking for for more positivity after Mcnamara made a show of them

Hopefully a journalist runs an FOI request on her this year as I'd say there's all sorts going on in there

What the fcuk happened earlier?

I refuse to watch or listen to anything associated with RTE, I saw this on Twitter

Did .... did they literally put O'Neil in a bubble?

https://twitter.com/JamesDeegan1979/status/1358922942332211200

More context here

There goes my last little bit of respect for O'Neil

He's nothing more than a celeb wannabe now

https://twitter.com/ClaireByrneLive/status/1358926477228732418

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

I refuse to watch or listen to anything associated with RTE, I saw this on Twitter

why is luke o'neil always out and about? :confused:

I love to see people hating on RTE I have to admit:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Wtf. They're actually talking about this in a serious context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,004 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The Long Covid issue got a lot of airtime on LiveLine today.

And as many posters on the radio forum said, watch out cos RTE will be going down this alley when the deaths, ICU numbers and positivity rate starts to fall.

Just when things start to look better, long covid will be pulled out of the hat and we'll have specials, Claire Byrne, late late show etc all talking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭ElektroToad

I used to believe in the concept of a free media. Up until recently, the thought of controlling it made me think of tin-pot dictatorships and failed states.

However, after watching the blatant doom merchanting of RTE the past year or so, I've now totally reconsidered my view on this. Their narrative of non-stop hysteria, distortion of figures, blatant bias and absence of any real debate of the whole covid situation is very dangerous in my view. It's filling peoples heads with fear and nonsense in equal measure.

The doom and misery may be great for RTE viewership numbers and ratings (they literally have a "captive audience" who cannot leave their homes afterall!) but I believe they have utterly failed to keep the public informed in an even-handed manner about current affairs. As a state-owned broadcaster, I believe they have a moral duty to do this.

If TLDR - I think stronger state-control of media is a potentially good thing? Christ what's the world coming to :eek:

And believe it or not, did I hear a piece on rte about all the medical cases building up unseen due to all resources going to the covid fight?

They are getting their backup plan organised. If this time next year COVID isn't a news story, we will have specials on all those who missed their cancer treatments, have now a heart that isn't working, depression rates and suicides through the roof, despite the fact they ignored all these illnesses during covid.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    And believe it or not, did I hear a piece on rte about all the medical cases building up unseen due to all resources going to the covid fight?

They are getting their backup plan organised. If this time next year COVID isn't a news story, we will have specials on all those who missed their cancer treatments, have now a heart that isn't working, depression rates and suicides through the roof, despite the fact they ignored all these illnesses during covid.

And yet the Late Late Show thread in the TV forum gets 500 replies some Fridays

Stop. Watching. RTE.

Stop listening to their radio stations.

Stop giving RTE.ie clicks.

It's 2021 ffs. You have options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,494 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I used to believe in the concept of a free media. Up until recently, the thought of controlling it made me think of tin-pot dictatorships and failed states.

However, after watching the blatant doom merchanting of RTE the past year or so, I've now totally reconsidered my view on this. Their narrative of non-stop hysteria, distortion of figures, blatant bias and absence of any real debate of the whole covid situation is very dangerous in my view. It's filling peoples heads with fear and nonsense in equal measure.

The doom and misery may be great for RTE viewership numbers and ratings (they literally have a "captive audience" who cannot leave their homes afterall!) but I believe they have utterly failed to keep the public informed in an even-handed manner about current affairs. As a state-owned broadcaster, I believe they have a moral duty to do this.

If TLDR - I think stronger state-control of media is a potentially good thing? Christ what's the world coming to :eek:

Yep. Figured it out about 10 years ago myself. RTE is nothing more than a media outlet for government propaganda. It serves the government, not us. Like you I thought surely not in Ireland...

And yet the Late Late Show thread in the TV forum gets 500 replies some Fridays

Stop. Watching. RTE.

Stop listening to their radio stations.

Stop giving RTE.ie clicks.

It's 2021 ffs. You have options

But the nation pays for RTE, that's why so many get annoyed by what they report and how they report it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

More context here

There goes my last little bit of respect for O'Neil

He's nothing more than a celeb wannabe now

https://twitter.com/ClaireByrneLive/status/1358926477228732418

Made it 11 seconds before I had to stop. Levels of cringe that shouldn't be possible.

ek motor wrote: »
    Made it 11 seconds before I had to stop. Levels of cringe that shouldn't be possible.

11 months ago Luke O'Neill was the bright optimism the country needed

Now he's the Immunologist equivalent of Amanda Holden. He'd show up at the opening of an envelope

ek motor wrote: »

The man's a multi millionaire now after his company sell off, and I think he likes the attention of being on t.v. and radio now.

Wouldn't be surprised If he isn't being lined up for a show of his own.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    The man's a multi millionaire now after his company sell off

And wasn't it something like a $300 million sale too? He was a partner in the company so even after tax he's sitting on $100 million+

Yesterday a man with that net worth was not only on Newstalk, but later that night was walking around on national TV in a giant bubble for fúcks sake

There's something very off about him tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭StevenToast

One of the worst things to come out of this pandemic has been the emergence of Luke O'Neill.....

An insufferable prick...the man simply has no shame....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭bloopy

One of the worst things to come out of this pandemic has been the emergence of Luke O'Neill.....

An insufferable prick...the man simply has no shame....

Heard him on Newstalk the other morning and he sounded like a dodgy salesman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/uk/common-asthma-treatment-cuts-need-for-covid-19-patients-to-go-to-hospital/

Any sign of good news like this on RTE? I see nothing on the website yet anyway

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/uk/common-asthma-treatment-cuts-need-for-covid-19-patients-to-go-to-hospital/

Any sign of good news like this on RTE? I see nothing on the website yet anyway

To be fair, it's a study with a sample size of 146.

It's a stretch to call it positive news at this point. Would need a lot more studies done on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement