Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish media hysteria

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I havent watched prime time in months...

I used to watch it regularly....

i am not buying what they are selling...

I do watch the rte news...maybe catch the headlines...but if they drag out george lee or fergal bowers i just switch off...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I havent watched prime time in months...

I used to watch it regularly....

i am not buying what they are selling...

I do watch the rte news...maybe catch the headlines...but if they drag out george lee or fergal bowers i just switch off...

It's a complete disgrace how much time RTE devote to the virus, it's never ending misery. I think the only positive you can take from the whole pandemic is that it's woken a lot of people up to the fact that RTE is a propaganda machine for the government. I can't think of a single time they interviewed someone over the last few months who said the way we're approaching this virus might be the wrong way. It's propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

When it's all over the likes of RTE need to brought in front of a tribunal. They need to be asked if there were ever communications from seniors at RTE to over eggagerate the issue. Then the likes of the Journal who were putting debunking of fact checks of which were true.

Commercial advertising revenue has dried up for media but Government Covid advertising is pulling them through. RTE News must be getting decent ratings. They need this to go on for as long as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

When it's all over the likes of RTE need to brought in front of a tribunal. They need to be asked if there were ever communications from seniors at RTE to over exaggerate the issue.

And this is very do-able by a strong legal firm using the Freedom Of Information Act

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Reading the comments on here and on Twitter about Prime Time tonight just cements the fact that our national broadcaster need to stop this

At this stage, they are - genuinely - going to cause suicides in this country.

Anyone who was at an 8 or 9 tonight thinking about ending it and who watched this debacle would now be at a 10 out of 10 with no going back

Again:

What the fúck can we do about RTE? They just can't be let continue like this

At 6pm most days this Subforum has many, many hundreds of readers. Surely, collectively, we can do something?

Rte and the media here is an out pf control disgrace. Stop consuming their product, simple as. Its been the same for decades, idiots, asking idiots questions, getting nowhere, same debate, every day, week, month , year. Its exhausting. Switch it off !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's a crying shame RTE aren't asking questions about the legitimacy of things such as lockdowns, you've to tune in to Niall Boylan on 4fm or Ciara Kelly on Newstalk to get some sort of balance on the current issues. The news and journalists should ask tough questions of the people putting us through this but instead they bombard you the usual old guff like "we're in this together"... like fcuk we are, ONE politician in this country has accepted a pay cut to the covid payment rates. Not a peep... no criticism of government at all, they know where their bread is buttered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

begbysback wrote: »
    Start a thread for people to sign up and commit to not watching RTÉ, I’ll sign up

Let's say 100 of us add our names to a thread like that, then what though?

It needs to be led by a journalist with a strong following on Twitter

The problem is said journalist needs to be a very ballsy one. Doing something like that against RTE would make their future career options a lot smaller

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Rte and the media here is an out pf control disgrace. Stop consuming their product, simple as. Its been the same for decades, idiots, asking idiots questions, getting nowhere, same debate, every day, week, month , year. Its exhausting. Switch it off !

First move, not so much as a look at the late late show, take out their cash cows.

Second, #notomontrose

They seem to loathe on line news sources, push and promote them to friends etc.

A more incestuous lot you'd never meet.. That Paedo who was caught in the UK would be a typical profile looking at the hack of them now!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭smck321

It's a complete disgrace how much time RTE devote to the virus, it's never ending misery.

As someone who get to tell relatives they get 15 minutes with their dying loved ones yes the virus certainly is a never ending misery. So its easy to see wh it gets so much time on RTE considering it is a genuine issue for so many people.

RTE isn't your pet project just because you pay taxes, it serves all the community and you (singular) are not all the community.

I see O Neil on the kings chair again pushing his pills and sweating the uptake of a vaccine!! I don't know many that will take such a vaccine to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

smck321 wrote: »
    As someone who get to tell relatives they get 15 minutes with their dying loved ones yes the virus certainly is a never ending misery. So its easy to see wh it gets so much time on RTE considering it is a genuine issue for so many people.

RTE isn't your pet project just because you pay taxes, it serves all the community and you (singular) are not all the community.

Come off it now and get down off your high horse!!

How much misery is there daily in society? How many people have to break the news of a suicide, a road death, a terminal cancer diagnosis, a life changing illness, to name but a few and on a daily basis?

Yet are they on the news channels every night either here or in more civilised nations? No they're not because it's well accepted that humans neither need nor deserve it and many, with enough stresses in their life, just can't take it. Not a steady undiluted diet of it.

Just because Covid 19 is a contagious disease and the public needs to be informed doesn't entitle any media outlet or medic based information unit like NPHET to overkill.

Doom and gloom is a toxin. And a steady diet of toxins is toxic. You should know that if, as you imply, you work in the health secor.

acequion wrote: »
    Doom and gloom is a toxin. And a steady diet of toxics is toxic.

You sound like a middle aged woman trying to sell me crystals.

The reason every broadcast is about covid is because even with it people aren't obeying restrictions. If you remove it they will be ignored entirely and it will spread. This isn't Sweden where people obey rules for civic reasons here we don't obey them because our society is much more divided, people need to be reminded.

Where I work there is 1 non covid ICU bed left as of this morning for over 100k people. Without all these toxins as you call it we would have to triage people on who gets care and who doesn't and you would see the reality of what that would entail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

The reason every broadcast is about covid is because even with it people aren't obeying restrictions. If you remove it they will be ignored entirely and it will spread. This isn't Sweden where people obey rules for civic reasons here we don't obey them because our society is much more divided, people need to be reminded.

Where I work there is 1 non covid ICU bed left as of this morning for over 100k people. Without all these toxins as you call it we would have to triage people on who gets care and who doesn't and you would see the reality of what that would entail.

You don’t come off too well there yourself, bit of frontline righteousness seeping through.

You don’t come off there too well there yourself, bit of frontline righteousness seeping through.

Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it. But calling someones opinion as "righteousness" because you disagree with it doesn't make you the paragon of independent thinking.

It labels you as someone who feels they have an axe to grind for some injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

How many covid patients have you in ICU and how many ICU beds in total have you if you dont mind me asking?

The last poster put it very well but I'll add this.

You sound like an Irish politician /NPHET member/sympathiser/ propaganda media hack.

There is a very good reason why we're not like the Swedes. They get what they pay for in public services so have a good connect with and trust in their leaders. Here we're constantly sold a pig in a bag. And we're pretty sick of it.

Yet the vast majority still comply and follow the guidelines. We just don't need people like you nagging constantly at us!

How many covid patients have you in ICU and how many ICU beds in total have you if you dont mind me asking?

ICU has been split into non covid and covid, non covid has 3 beds with 2 occupied and covid has 4 beds with 3 occupied.

You sound like an Irish politician /NPHET member/sympathiser/ propaganda media hack.

And you sound like someone who had to stop himself using the work cuck in that sentance.

ICU has been split into non covid and covid, non covid has 3 beds with 2 occupied and covid has 4 beds with 3 occupied.

A pretty dismal set up to have so few ICU beds in a supposedly prosperous country. And a monumental failure of a public service.

And nagging at people is somehow right you think!

A pretty dismal set up to have so few ICU beds in a supposedly prosperous country. And a monumental failure of a public service.

And nagging at people is somehow right you think!

Are you proposing I pay for the staff and beds myself and upgrade them?

• Advertisement

So you still have 25% of your allocated beds free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

You and me need to get down and dirty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Rte shove covid into everything. Watching a cooking show earlier and it was shoved in there. Can they not give it a break?

And you sound like someone who had to stop himself using the work cuck in that sentance.

You actually sound like somebody not worth talking to. A sanctimonious dismissive attitude to those you consider know less than you. Just like our pay masters. And just like the media the OP references in his/her thread title.

As I don't like like talking to such people I'll wish you good night and hope you calm down soon.

So you still have 25% of your allocated beds free.

If you are happy with having 2 beds, 1 covid and 1 non covid for 100k people thats fine. All it takes is one car crash and theres a very serious decision to be made then.

You actually sound like somebody not worth talking to. A sanctimonious dismissive attitude to those you consider know less than you. Just like our pay masters. And just like the media the OP references in his/her thread title.

As I don't like like talking to such people I'll wish you good night and hope you calm down soon.

Thats ok good night.

Your defence of pretending the opposing side is angry to avoid having your views challenged is working I see.

Thats ok good night.

Your defence of pretending the opposing side is angry to avoid having your views challenged is working I see.

Oh will you go away and get over yourself :rolleyes:

Go have a drink. You sound like you need it!

Oops have I walked myself into a lecture on one of the seven deadly sins :D:D

If you are happy with having 2 beds, 1 covid and 1 non covid for 100k people thats fine. All it takes is one car crash and theres a very serious decision to be made then.

Now you and I both know that’s really nonsense, you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to work out how to obtain other ICU beds if they are needed, I’m starting to think you’re working for RTÉ, or you have at least swallowed all of their spiel.

Oh will you go away and get over yourself :rolleyes:

Go have a drink. You sound like you need it!

Oops have I walked myself into a lecture on one of the seven deadly sins :D:D

I'm not your mother, nor does putting a few smilies in your post make it seem like you are the less angry one and therefore the winner, in your eyes at least.

• Advertisement

Now you and I both know that’s really nonsense, you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to work out how to obtain other ICU beds if they are needed, I’m starting to think you’re working for RTÉ, or you have at least swallowed all of their spiel.

Galway was full as of last week refusing any transfers, so where else are they meant to go?

Its fine if you want to believe that I'm 'big media' and yes on the internet I could be a dog for all you know, all I can do is tell you what I can see. If you want to tell me I'm lying thats fine, I'll still go into work tomorrow and do my job. We have to be pesimists in this job because more often than not it happens. But if you don't want to believe it thats fine, just don't act shocked when it happens.

Advertisement