Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

The N52 in the 730i does 0-62 MPH in 7.8 and tops out at 152 MPH. I think that's reasonable for a barge. :confused::D

I have to stick up for the humble straight six because I came to the conclusion a good while ago that I'm never going to run a V8 as a daily..... unless I relocate:(

Yeah its grand... In a 3 series, but not in a 2 ton 7 series. Traco has it right, much like my own barge it's very unassuming but it has a lazy 400hp V8 ready to put manners on a lot of things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I defended the M52 in my old 728i into the ground for years, saying it was plenty powerful and super smooth. The latter was true, and if you drove it in Sport mode it was more acceptable in terms of pickup, albeit the gearchanges were harsher. But looking back, that thing was slow. 2010 Mondeo slow. Four adults in the car and you'd know all about it. There's also no two ways about it, its budget flag-shippin'. A lot of the prestige is lost with the entry motor, as is the performance and specification as a general rule.

As a younger fella I was worried about the complexity of the V8s or V12s, whereas in reality it came down to costs; I would have had the beefier models all day long. And having them all now, there's just no going back.

Whatever about finding a prestine 728i or S320 now with under 30k miles or the likes and picking them up for that reason, if dabbling in the luxobarge world, go all out I say; motor tax is about your biggest worry, insurance a close second, fuel costs/depreciationg/servicing is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things when comparing displacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

We banning S320 Mercs from the thread aswel then?

Mine got beaten by a 2004 Corolla so mustn't be a Luxobarge as tis slow?

A Luxobarge to me is a relatively quick, land yacht that just effortlessly eats up the miles in massive comfort....... Wouldnt get too hung up about what engine they have once its 'adequate'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I think we need to agree to disagree on the engines - everyone has different perspectives on the need for power in your barge.
    We're somewhat agreeing on the body shape, so lets carry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I had one from 2016-2018 , first year it was 1900 to insure, the second year 2200, the third year uninsurable.

that was manually converted because the auto box in them is chocolate, the auto box went in mine and I couldn't get a replacement and wasn't going to make the money back on the 2k it was going to cost to recondition only to have an uninsurable car again.

Great car to drive but the gearbox is a killer.

how is the gearbox that bad?! in that car?!

nice enough cars, funny they could be picked up for the same price now, as they were a few years back. the bro had one, I mean they have lost no value in the last 3-4 years it looks like. the 04,05,06,07 ones at least...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Idbatterim wrote: »
    how is the gearbox that bad?! in that car?!

nice enough cars, funny they could be picked up for the same price now, as they were a few years back. the bro had one, I mean they have lost no value in the last 3-4 years it looks like. the 04,05,06,07 ones at least...

not a clue, mine had 64,000km on it and the gearbox ate itself. Full BMW service history and the gearbox fluid was done at 30,000km under warranty for reasons I didn't know then, but discovered after.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Getting back on topic

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-s350-05-nct-tested-bargain/27220948

ZGRhNzI5NGE0MDgwMmQyNGI0ZTZkYTMzOTQ3ODQzMWOH3S7pDocj9SKdtPCZmI6VaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNzA4MDE5NjJ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

05 S350 with NCT til September (and some tax) for €975

1 previous owner. First photo wouldn't inspire a lot of confidence but provided it isn't an actual issue, it could be a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

The next owner can look forward to a "Vehicle too low, Visit workshop" screen going by the first picture. :D

lads, I have my S500 sitting outside, done less than a thousand km in the last year... now its just sitting there, I take it for local spin once or twice a week to keep her ticking over. Suppose, I would contemplate idea of selling it, as I have now bought a van. What do you reckon its worth and this is very subjective and I wouldnt know until I put it up obviously, probably case of waiting game and right buyer obviously, the usual.

But what do you think the below would be worth personally? nct due as of mid January, but I would get any work done if applicable and sell with nct...

pictures at below link, they are poor quality, dont do it justice, but you get idea...

its LWB, s500, 170,000 km or thereabouts... cream interior. good bodywork. Amg body kit and alloys , facelift lights from and rear... tax out.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105593196&postcount=6142

the thought of dealing with donedeal is enough to make me keep it. Ill swap my a4 1.9tdi passat for your s500 etc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What year is it?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,051 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

its LWB, s500, 170,000 km or thereabouts... cream interior. good bodywork. Amg body kit and alloys , facelift lights from and rear... tax out.

the thought of dealing with donedeal is enough to make me keep it. Ill swap my a4 1.9tdi passat for your s500 etc :rolleyes:

The temptation... :eek::eek:

*checks bank account*

What year is it?

sorry, its 2006... I figured there is no harm in keeping it most likely, as they dont seem to be depreciating, possibly appreciating if anything, but not sure on that...

lads, I have my S500 sitting outside, done less than a thousand km in the last year... now its just sitting there, I take it for local spin once or twice a week to keep her ticking over. Suppose, I would contemplate idea of selling it, as I have now bought a van. What do you reckon its worth and this is very subjective and I wouldnt know until I put it up obviously, probably case of waiting game and right buyer obviously, the usual.

But what do you think the below would be worth personally? nct due as of mid January, but I would get any work done if applicable and sell with nct...

pictures at below link, they are poor quality, dont do it justice, but you get idea...

Genuinely...will it suit this thread? Manmaths going on!

Genuinely...will it suit this thread? Manmaths going on!

very true, its the best, but also the worst place for it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

very true, its the best, but also the worst place for it! :D

It has to be at least worth what you paid for it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if you had this thought in July I would have been right down to you cash in hand :D , what options are on it..

if you had this thought in July I would have been right down to you cash in hand :D , what options are on it..

Heated front and rear seats... rear electric privacy blind. Sunroof. Probably more but they are basic ones I can think of... electric adjustable rear seats, assuming that's standard though

I remember you were looking and wanted real high spec... the basic spec is so high, I wasnt too concerned about that personally. I would only have it in black, d reg, lwb. The facelift lights and Amg body kit really sold it to me, wouldnt have changed from the previous car for it, given how much I loved my 325ci and how much work I did to it, if the merc didnt tick all boxes I had. I'm shallow and care for the outer beauty, you care more what's inside it seems:)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

Heated front and rear seats... rear electric privacy blind. Sunroof. Probably more but they are basic ones I can think of... electric adjustable rear seats, assuming that's standard though

I remember you were looking and wanted real high spec... the basic spec is so high, I wasnt too concerned about that personally. I would only have it in black, d reg, lwb. The facelift lights and Amg body kit really sold it to me, wouldnt have changed from the previous car for it, given how much I loved my 325ci and how much work I did to it, if the merc didnt tick all boxes I had. I'm shallow and care for the outer beauty, you care more what's inside it seems:)

Your PMs are full! Please delete a few :-)

Sixtoes wrote: »
    Your PMs are full! Please delete a few :-)

Done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

You might need to delete a few more. Still full ;)

• Advertisement

.....as I have now bought a van. .....

Anything nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Still full

Clear your inbox dude, definitely interested :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,554 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So... what's the ball park for the S Class then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭traco

Showing her age a little but could be a nice honest Jag XJ Executive with the 3.2 V8. Sub 3k

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xj-executive/27269390

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xj-3-0-v6-sport-2004/26662471?campaign=14

Not sure if this has been posted before.

Looks to be in good nick, low mileage and almost a year's NCT. Tempting with my commute now almost non existent and my diesel sitting in the garden not being used at the minute. Not a fan of the black interior though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

traco wrote: »
    Showing her age a little but could be a nice honest Jag XJ Executive with the 3.2 V8. Sub 3k

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xj-executive/27269390

"Absolutely gorgeous" but what are "yoke waters" - time wasters?

Main (well, Toyota) 2008 LS600h - 9k

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-ls-ls-600h-5-0-4dr-saloon/27267959

1200 tax on these

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

daRobot wrote: »

1200 tax on these

Pictures don't do it justice.

• Advertisement

daRobot wrote: »

1200 tax on these

That's cheaper than what they sell for privately :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement