Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Stadia

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Any good deals on Stadia going at the moment?

Madden for 33 quid
    Monopoly 18 quid

That's about it.

I missed the offer on NBA 21, hope it comes around again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Any good deals on Stadia (Premiere) going at the moment?

EDIT: Sorry just saw some of the responses above. Seems to be none at the moment.

They usually have a decent sale on a few games every month at some point. I'd say later this month there will be another decent one. Red Dead, Assassins Creed games, Division 2, Far Cry games etc usually get reduced a decent amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The problem is the Xbox and PS fan boys who can't see past their platforms.

And that's because Stadia have not done enough yet to make them do so. I hope Stadia does become a huge success but it still has a long way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

I think people don't want to give up that local processing and ownership of something. I like to just disconnect the console from the internet and switch off into a game. Or at least know I'm not tied to a service or I'm being monitored, watched and measured as I play.

Even with Gamepass, I feel like MS are choosing what I can play and can take it away anytime and I have to keep paying for the service.

Eventually, you will just connect your brain to Google and you won't need a controller or screen. Hopefully they have some decent games then, otherwise I'm sticking with Nintendo. :)

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/1/22260803/google-stadia-game-development-studio-shut-down-jade-raymond

They're closing down their first-party games studio already before releasing a game.

• Advertisement

The problem is the Xbox and PS fan boys who can't see past their platforms. They are like the Apple fan boys who refuse to even look at android devices.
    Nope thats not it. Both Xbox and PS already have cloud gaming, xbox's offering in particular is proving very popular.

The problem all along has been a lack of trust in Google who have a track record of scraping projects. The number 1 question with Stadia is what happens to my games if it shuts down, the answer is you lose them all.

Stadia's USP promised to bring first party games that are only possible with the power of cloud computing and just as predicted they have already scrapped it.

Its great you have found value in it, but I'm sorry it's slow uptake has nothing to do with brand loyalty or fan boy-ism and more to do with a very flawed business model and a huge lack of trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Got the stadia bundle that was with cyberpunk before Christmas, but only got it the other week. Have been playing cyberpunk, the performance is impressive (although I'm finding cyberpunk very boring so far and struggling to play it now).

Any must have games? I absolutely adored rdr2 on ps4, how would it compare performance wise on stadia? I've seen a few quick comparisons between ps4 Pro and stadia, but I inky have a regular stadia. The ability to play on phone is making me want to pick it up if it goes on sale...

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Haven't played red dead but I think it runs pretty well but the online portion is pretty dead from what I've read.
    I picked up the Division 2 and it runs fantastic. I had it on the base PS4 and it's like a different game compared to that.
    They seem to have pretty regular sales too so worth keeping an eye out for those.
    If you subscribe to stadia pro you can stream games up to 4k and get some games to keep as long as you subscribe, similar to ps+.

dulpit wrote: »
    Got the stadia bundle that was with cyberpunk before Christmas, but only got it the other week. Have been playing cyberpunk, the performance is impressive (although I'm finding cyberpunk very boring so far and struggling to play it now).

Any must have games? I absolutely adored rdr2 on ps4, how would it compare performance wise on stadia? I've seen a few quick comparisons between ps4 Pro and stadia, but I inky have a regular stadia. The ability to play on phone is making me want to pick it up if it goes on sale...

Any other suggestions?

Mate of mine has put well over 100 hours in to RDR2 on Stadia. He's happy with how it runs.
    It generally goes on sale about once a month, down to about €40. I'm planning to get it next. I'd highly recommend Assassins Creed Odyssey, put about 60 hours into it and I'm only about 60% through campaign. I'm also loving Jedi Fallen Order. Very occasional framerate issues but they were also present on PS4 version. It's a game issue rather than a Stadia issue.

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    If you subscribe to stadia pro you can stream games up to 4k and get some games to keep as long as you subscribe, similar to ps+.

Is the 4k noticeably better? And does it affect framerates massively? Network speed isn't an issue (Vodafone gigabit, wired to chromecast), I did a ping test and was getting about 24-26 ms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Me being smug about xbox series x local processing and untethered to big tech ... It needs an internet connection to get the current time! Nuts.

You can have super fast ssd , 4k 120FPS HDR. ..

Battery to maintain current time, nah :)

Is the 4k noticeably better? And does it affect framerates massively? Network speed isn't an issue (Vodafone gigabit, wired to chromecast), I did a ping test and was getting about 24-26 ms.

4k does look better. Personally I think 1080 is good enough but I understand some people want the best available. I don't subscribe to Pro as I'm more than happy with 1080. I'm playing on a 55" 4k TV most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Stadia loses another game:
    Terraria on Stadia cancelled after developer's Google account gets locked

The guy is doing business with google directly and they can't even sort this out for him. Not the first time a high profile mess like this has happened with Google. Have to say has been considering moving all my stuff to an new email and changing my email I use to a new one.

For anyone looking for a bit of a saving, Stadia Premier Edition is down to €74 from €98.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Little Nightmares II launches on Stadia today.
    Directly into Pro, if you have that! :)

https://stadia.google.com/store/list/2001

NBA 2K21 is reduced to €19.79 :)

NBA 2K21 is reduced to €19.79 :)

I played last years one which is basically the same as this years version by most online reports. The gameplay isn't what it use to be in these games. Hope EA bring back NBA Live series. Much preferred that back in the day.

Are there regular sales on stadia games? If so, what days should I look out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Are there regular sales on stadia games? If so, what days should I look out for?

There are regular sales alright but as the game catalogue is relatively moderate, it can often be the same games.

Keep an eye on:
    In a surprise post yesterday, they have just announced the below. Seems like they have started listening to the community and are building a roadmap of sorts.
    We’re thrilled to continue bringing great games from some of the best developers for our players to experience within the Stadia store. Over the next few weeks and months, players can expect to see everything from action-filled RPGs to competitive co-op titles and nimble platformers. That includes Shantae: Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition (Feb. 23), Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut (Feb. 23), It came from space and ate our brains (Mar. 2), FIFA 21 (Mar. 17), Kaze and the Wild Masks (Mar. 26), Judgment (Apr. 23), Killer Queen Black, Street Power Football, and Hellpoint.

These games represent just a sampling of the more than 100 games that will be added to the Stadia store for our players in 2021 to share, experience, and play with friends.

Are there any settings I should be targeting at the router level maybe? I find stadia can go a bit chuggy. I have gigabit broadband (Siro) and I use the chromecast ultra with ethernet, so I think that's the best I can do connection wise.

• Advertisement

Are there any settings I should be targeting at the router level maybe? I find stadia can go a bit chuggy. I have gigabit broadband (Siro) and I use the chromecast ultra with ethernet, so I think that's the best I can do connection wise.

What's your latency like? Any powerline adapters in the middle of CCU and router?

Never tried this but Google have a troubleshooter for Stadia - worth a go.
    https://support.google.com/stadia/workflow/10017321

Gigabit means nothing. What you're quoted and what you actually get can be wildly different.

Have you done speed tests, ones that will give you ping and jitter rate if possible.

Gigabit means nothing. What you're quoted and what you actually get can be wildly different.

Have you done speed tests, ones that will give you ping and jitter rate if possible.

Wired speed test was giving me consistent speeds of 800-900 Mb/s, which is nice. I did a test on the chromecast directly (using an app called speedcast: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speed.chromecast&hl=en_IE&gl=US) and I was getting download speeds of ~90Mb/s and a ping of 24-26ms.

Not sure if that ping is ideal or not?

Wired speed test was giving me consistent speeds of 800-900 Mb/s, which is nice. I did a test on the chromecast directly (using an app called speedcast: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.speed.chromecast&hl=en_IE&gl=US) and I was getting download speeds of ~90Mb/s and a ping of 24-26ms.

Not sure if that ping is ideal or not?

Ping should be below 20 if possible. Have you restarted your router lately ?

Ping should be below 20 if possible. Have you restarted your router lately ?

I have not, but I will try later (tv is currently occupied by a small person watching youtube)

Just restarted router and ran a speedtest on the chromecast directly. Results:
    • Download: 97.86 Mb/s
    • Upload: 98.79 Mb/s
    • Ping: 24.89 ms
    • Jitter: 0.24 ms

I already use google's DNS on the router, so not sure if there is much else I can do to improve this?

Just restarted router and ran a speedtest on the chromecast directly. Results:
    • Download: 97.86 Mb/s
    • Upload: 98.79 Mb/s
    • Ping: 24.89 ms
    • Jitter: 0.24 ms

I already use google's DNS on the router, so not sure if there is much else I can do to improve this?

Is the Chromecast connected directly to router via cable with no devices in the middle? It should all work wirelessly too but that is a different diagnosis path.

Edit:
    See here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/k1so48/chromecast_ultra_slower_over_ethernet_than_wifi/
    It suggests the CCU NIC is capped at 100Mbps - maybe try 5Ghz wireless connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

A 5ghz connection should be giving you far better speeds etc than what you are getting with a 1gig line

Will try the wifi later and compare. I'll report back.

• Advertisement

Didn't check speeds, but my ping on wifi was the same. I read that stadia needs ~35Mb/s for 4K UHD gaming, which isn't an issue - so I assume any "chugginess" is down to ping?

Advertisement