Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corballis

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

We must arrange a boards.ie fourball for all the Corballis members when this lockdown ends. I reckon we have about 4 on here. I'd be curious to see how we all play the course, or even just put faces to the names. Or names to the monikers.

God I'd love a game of golf now. I wouldn't even give out about the bad lies I get when I hit it where I shouldn't. Well I would, but that's part of what I miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

blue note wrote: »
    We must arrange a boards.ie fourball for all the Corballis members when this lockdown ends. I reckon we have about 4 on here. I'd be curious to see how we all play the course, or even just put faces to the names. Or names to the monikers.

God I'd love a game of golf now. I wouldn't even give out about the bad lies I get when I hit it where I shouldn't. Well I would, but that's part of what I miss.

As an Elmgreen member who plays regularly there especially this year thinks bad lies has really improved!!

The second whole in particular must be a green keepers nightmare. And the fact it is first par 4 isnt great. If it was hole 10 or 11 nobody would remember

gypsy79 wrote: »
    As an Elmgreen member who plays regularly there especially this year thinks bad lies has really improved!!

The second whole in particular must be a green keepers nightmare. And the fact it is first par 4 isnt great. If it was hole 10 or 11 nobody would remember

Well I was thinking about bad lies in the rough, which are fair enough really. But you are right - there are a couple of patches on the course where you can hit the fairway and very likely have a terrible lie. The run off area on 11 I think is the worst for this and largely why I tend to go for the green. Going short and left on 5 can be awful too. And as you say the landing area on the 2nd. And the landing area on 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Definitely up for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

willabur wrote: »
    Definitely up for this.

I would play. It would be funny to see how many people already knew each other.

Ohhhh, internet fwends.

• Advertisement

I'll post again when we're back open and see if some weekend morning suits us.

I would play. It would be funny to see how many people already knew each other.

Ohhhh, internet fwends.

its set up for a 'ah ffs not this fn pr**k'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

its set up for a 'ah ffs not this fn pr**k'

Can we all come watch too? :rolleyes:

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Can we all come watch too? :rolleyes:

Tickets for the event will be very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Any idea what the timesheet is like in Corballis at the weekends? I'm contemplating joining. Between Covid restrictions and not getting much back from my club, I dont fancy spending in excess of €1600 to not play much golf again this year. Corballis is definitely tempting with their pay & play rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Any idea what the timesheet is like in Corballis at the weekends? I'm contemplating joining. Between Covid restrictions and not getting much back from my club, I dont fancy spending in excess of €1600 to not play much golf again this year. Corballis is definitely tempting with their pay & play rate

Sunday comps are hard to get out in. Saturday can be hard with societies.

Time sheet opens at 6pm 15 days in advance. If you are a single you will find a slot at some point.

Recently it's been hard to get out at weekends. You really need to log onto chronogolf when the timesheet goes live. But that's due to the exceptional demand and the limited light at this time of year. I'd say every club is the same.

Come summertime the light will alleviate a lot of the stress on the timesheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

Count me in for this, relatively new member and a shockingly high handicap but still eager to get out.

Echoing what was said above, Saturdays are usually full of societies but if we're quick enough with the timesheet we can get out on the members-only Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Just got an email automatically renewing my subs. It did come from chronogolf opposed to the club itself but I am not renewing. Call the club or ignore?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Just got an email automatically renewing my subs. It did come from chronogolf opposed to the club itself but I am not renewing. Call the club or ignore?

Why are you leaving?

I’m guessing it’s just an invoice and not taking money from your account. Out of good manners I would ring and explain why your leaving to help them with feedback.

I generally try to find out why every members leaves us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Why are you leaving?

I’m guessing it’s just an invoice and not taking money from your account. Out of good manners I would ring and explain why your leaving to help them with feedback.

I generally try to find out why every members leaves us.

A couple of reasons. Personal circumstances have changed (lost my job and am yet to get another). But also as I am located over 20km the likely hood of getting a game this year is nil. When lock down was lifted I found it impossible to get on the tee sheet. The weekends were a joke (I understand its a public course) but societies having times booked out is farcical when you have members looking to play.
    I think I played 6 or 7 rounds last year.

Pity as it really is a fantastic course. Very enjoyable.

A couple of reasons. Personal circumstances have changed (lost my job and am yet to get another). But also as I am located over 20km the likely hood of getting a game this year is nil. When lock down was lifted I found it impossible to get on the tee sheet. The weekends were a joke (I understand its a public course) but societies having times booked out is farcical when you have members looking to play.
    I think I played 6 or 7 rounds last year.

Pity as it really is a fantastic course. Very enjoyable.

I completely understand this frustration. It is hard to stomach paying for something and not being able to use it. Corballis business model makes it a bare metal golf club experience - if you are not getting out on the course then its hard to see what the point is

Corballis committee needs to stand up to Carr.

Remind them that their agreement is up at end of 2022.

Corballis committee needs to stand up to Carr.

Remind them that their agreement is up at end of 2022.

What are they doing that's so wrong? They got caught putting too many societies on it in December, but I wouldn't have any other major complaints with them. Course condition is great and the value is exceptional.

I don't know anything about the agreement that is in place to be honest.

What options are available to the committee? How strong is their hand? There are 507 handicaps listed on HDID so I take that as an approximate number of members. There is space typically for 140 members in the sunday comp and with saturdays largely kept for societies or green fees. Knowing very little about these things I would imagine thats a recipe for a disgruntled golf club membership

• Advertisement

What are they doing that's so wrong? They got caught putting too many societies on it in December, but I wouldn't have any other major complaints with them. Course condition is great and the value is exceptional.

Depends on what their mandate is I suppose. When they had an open on a Saturday I thought it gave members who couldn't get out on a Sunday the opportunity to play some comp golf at the weekends. They stopped doing this because it wasn't driving enough business for them which is the key point, they are running a business which incentives them to do the minimum required to keep the members happy so they can maximize return on green fees and elsewhere.

They are rightly praised for the condition of the course, particularly the greens which are as good as anywhere. BUT they need to have this level of quality in order to drive business. If the quality of the course was poor then I don't think this conversation would be happening

Hmmm, fair point, the number of members is problem alright. Particularly since they should also be catering for non members as a public course.

Hopefully they bring back the Saturday comp. I much rather playing in a comp.

Hmmm, fair point, the number of members is problem alright. Particularly since they should also be catering for non members as a public course.

Hopefully they bring back the Saturday comp. I much rather playing in a comp.

As an Elmgreen member I would love the open to come back on Saturday

For example, we had agreed no visitors until March

We have close to 900 members. But only close to 700 members with a handicap. For me this is a massive issue to have 200 members not "participating" in the club

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

As an Elmgreen member I would love the open to come back on Saturday

For example, we had agreed no visitors until March

We have close to 900 members. But only close to 700 members with a handicap. For me this is a massive issue to have 200 members not "participating" in the club

Why is having 200 members not using the course an issue? I would think these are the best members a club management could hope for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭finglashoop

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Why is having 200 members not using the course an issue? I would think these are the best members a club management could hope for?

i assume they are not entering comps rather than using course?

ClutchIt wrote: »

They use the course. In fact most of them are some of the heaviest users of the course. These people dont play in comps and dont maintain handicaps. They also dont provide anything financially to the club. And I mean ZERO. We have 200 members who have put 1 cent into the club

The model Elmgreen and Corballis operate under is pretty unique.

They use the course. In fact most of them are some of the heaviest users of the course. These people dont play in comps and dont maintain handicaps. They also dont provide anything financially to the club. And I mean ZERO. We have 200 members who have put 1 cent into the club

The model Elmgreen and Corballis operate under is pretty unique.

they are paying subs surely? not exactly nothing

If thats the case then I have no problem with people using the club for this purpose. What is not healthy is people paying a sub and not getting to use the club as per the poster above. This will drive dissatisfaction and ultimately negative sentiment & attrition

they are paying subs surely? not exactly nothing

If thats the case then I have no problem with people using the club for this purpose. What is not healthy is people paying a sub and not getting to use the club as per the poster above. This will drive dissatisfaction and ultimately negative sentiment & attrition

They pay subs to Carr. None of that money feeds through to the club

Our club is financially in a very healthy position but I don't consider those who are members of the club who dont hold a handicap

There is a rule that they are not allowed play during competition times. If this is enforced then I would have no issues. But it clearly isnt enforced

so you mean comp fees?
    I don't know how that money gets handled, would be interested in finding out. I'm sure Carr themselves will say they plough money back in to maintain the course and keep the clubhouse going, paying staff to facilitate tee times schedule etc. But I am sure that every club in the land has members like that who are happy to pay their subs for the year and not play one competition. The issue for me is that with this club they are taking on extra members but reducing the time slots where they can actually go out and play, thats the unique situation for Corballis.

Might be a similar situation in the likes of Portmarnock links where the course is part of the hotel so tee times would be reserved for hotel guests etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

Any idea if this will help with member tee times? I live in Donabate and I am considering joining post lockdown.

https://dublinpeople.com/news/northsideeast/articles/2021/03/05/corballis-members-dispute-operator-reach-agreement-dispute-29043/

Advertisement