Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

Corballis

1234579

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭ willabur


    Might be just the greatest scorecard of all time

    I'd be extremely dubious to whether the miracle on 18 actually happened. More likely he rubbed out a zero


  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ irish_man


    willabur wrote: »
    Might be just the greatest scorecard of all time

    I'd be extremely dubious to whether the miracle on 18 actually happened. More likely he rubbed out a zero

    A watch on the way from howdidido!


  • Registered Users Posts: 18,906 ✭✭✭✭ PARlance


    willabur wrote: »
    Might be just the greatest scorecard of all time

    I'd be extremely dubious to whether the miracle on 18 actually happened. More likely he rubbed out a zero

    Was this part of The Race to 123 Series?


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭ JohnnyFlash


    Brought the young lad and his friend to Corballis this afternoon for a round. I hadn't been there in a good few years. It's a little gem to be honest, even with all the quirks of the layout. The greens were in fantastic condition.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭ blue note


    Very busy on sundays here lately. Tried to get a spot today but never saw one open up on line. And Sunday 25th went live at 6pm yesterday. I forgot until half 8 and the entire sheet was full.

    Great to see it busy, not ideal!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭ Felexicon


    blue note wrote: »
    Very busy on sundays here lately. Tried to get a spot today but never saw one open up on line. And Sunday 25th went live at 6pm yesterday. I forgot until half 8 and the entire sheet was full.

    Great to see it busy, not ideal!

    It's an absolute joke. They couldn't give a f%^k about members.


  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭ hurleronditch


    Felexicon wrote: »
    It's an absolute joke. They couldn't give a f%^k about members.

    Is it green fees filling the sheet on a Sunday morning?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭ Felexicon


    Is it green fees filling the sheet on a Sunday morning?

    Members comp tee times only go to 12 on a Sunday.
    First tee was 7am until recently when it moved to 7:30 due to light but there was no 30 min added on to end of tee times for comp so you have 3 less slots available.

    Also the members comp tee times are full of bookings with 1 member and 3 guests down on the line. I questioned it before and was told it was probably members filling those spaces


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭ JohnnyFlash


    Felexicon wrote: »
    Members comp tee times only go to 12 on a Sunday.
    First tee was 7am until recently when it moved to 7:30 due to light but there was no 30 min added on to end of tee times for comp so you have 3 less slots available.

    Also the members comp tee times are full of bookings with 1 member and 3 guests down on the line. I questioned it before and was told it was probably members filling those spaces


    October is always a difficult month for clubs trying to fit everyone in. The weather is still decent and there's lots of people trying to get out for a game at the weekend, but there's less slots available due to the days getting shorter.

    I hadn't played Corballis for years up until about a fortnight ago, and can see why it's almost a victim of its own success. There's some legitimately great holes on the course, and the greens were fantastic.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭ Felexicon


    October is always a difficult month for clubs trying to fit everyone in. The weather is still decent and there's lots of people trying to get out for a game at the weekend, but there's less slots available due to the days getting shorter.

    I hadn't played Corballis for years up until about a fortnight ago, and can see why it's almost a victim of its own success. There's some legitimately great holes on the course, and the greens were fantastic.

    Yeah I like it there but cant see myself renewing membership. It's really set up for a pay and play model


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭ hurleronditch


    Felexicon wrote: »
    Members comp tee times only go to 12 on a Sunday.
    First tee was 7am until recently when it moved to 7:30 due to light but there was no 30 min added on to end of tee times for comp so you have 3 less slots available.

    Also the members comp tee times are full of bookings with 1 member and 3 guests down on the line. I questioned it before and was told it was probably members filling those spaces

    There’s no way a member should be allowed book for unnamed guests or other members. I’m a member but only recently rejoined and haven’t gotten out on a Sunday yet due to family and work commitments. For the first 48 hours after the sheet opens it should be 1 member, 1 booking. After that you can loosen things up for fellas.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭ blue note


    I'm more moaning than giving out. The two things they could do that would help are stopping people booking spaces without specifying the member. I guarantee you if someone rocked up with a non member they'd be allowed to pay the green fee and go out.

    And the thing I think they should do is charge people a fiver for no shows. Lots don't agree with this.

    But the main problem is fading light, people aren't allowed to leave the County and members added over lockdown so increased demand. And the date 2 weeks from now is a medal, so 3 balls instead of 4. The only thing the club could change there is making it 4 balls and I'm glad EU don't.

    Also, it's worth remembering that corballis is a public course. It is not a members club and it's important they serve the non members of the public. It should provide access to reasonable green fees and not just at the crap times. If it was a members club I'd definitely say that up to 1pm on a Sunday should be reserved for members. But it's not. And it's a good thing that societies can get a few lines in time to comfortably play 18 on a Sunday.

    As I say, I'm mainly just having a moan.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭ willabur


    blue note wrote: »
    I'm more moaning than giving out. The two things they could do that would help are stopping people booking spaces without specifying the member. I guarantee you if someone rocked up with a non member they'd be allowed to pay the green fee and go out.

    And the thing I think they should do is charge people a fiver for no shows. Lots don't agree with this.

    But the main problem is fading light, people aren't allowed to leave the County and members added over lockdown so increased demand. And the date 2 weeks from now is a medal, so 3 balls instead of 4. The only thing the club could change there is making it 4 balls and I'm glad EU don't.

    Also, it's worth remembering that corballis is a public course. It is not a members club and it's important they serve the non members of the public. It should provide access to reasonable green fees and not just at the crap times. If it was a members club I'd definitely say that up to 1pm on a Sunday should be reserved for members. But it's not. And it's a good thing that societies can get a few lines in time to comfortably play 18 on a Sunday.

    As I say, I'm mainly just having a moan.


    Its just my second year as a member. I have noticed that it is ALOT busier than last year. The timesheet is full and no one is budging, used to be the case if you logged on the day before, right up to the morning itself you could get a tee time or move your own tee time. Not the case now. From what I could see yesterday it was mostly 4 balls on the course also

    I guess that's the pay off for relatively low membership rate

    On a side note, some dickhead took a swing at the 10th green over the weekend. Didn't see the act but saw the consequence.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭ blue note


    willabur wrote: »
    Its just my second year as a member. I have noticed that it is ALOT busier than last year. The timesheet is full and no one is budging, used to be the case if you logged on the day before, right up to the morning itself you could get a tee time or move your own tee time. Not the case now. From what I could see yesterday it was mostly 4 balls on the course also

    I guess that's the pay off for relatively low membership rate

    On a side note, some dickhead took a swing at the 10th green over the weekend. Didn't see the act but saw the consequence.

    Yep, that's my experience too. I thought I'd get out on Sunday no bother, but kept checking back and nothing opened up.

    And what an idiot. I can understand how you'd hit a ball onto it, no judgement there. But don't you get a free drop off greens now anyway? There wasn't even a benefit to him.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭ Felexicon


    Time sheet full for November 1st. Full of "Guest" bookings


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭ gypsy79


    Felexicon wrote: »
    Time sheet full for November 1st. Full of "Guest" bookings

    I suspect that this is a mistake. I am sure you guys are getting same concession that Elmgreen and Castleknock are. No society or visitors November 1st - March 1st


  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭ hurleronditch


    Between 8:30 and 10am, of the 36 available slots 17 are currently visitor. This, to me, is unacceptable.

    As bad as Chronogolf is, it allows you to add the names of other members. You either add someone specific, or the slot should remain open.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭ willabur


    Felexicon wrote: »
    Time sheet full for November 1st. Full of "Guest" bookings

    I set alarm at 6pm. Logged in before my phone went to 6.01. There was 1 line available


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭ jamesbondings


    Being based outside of Dublin I have lost a good two months off the sub likely the remainder of it (up in March). But to be honest, even though I do really enjoy corballis, the difficulty getting on the tee sheet is what stops me renewing.
    I haven't been up in the last few weeks (since the increase in restrictions) but even before that I couldn't get a weekend slot. There appears to be constant societies on the weekend which as a public course I understand but I left corrstown for exactly this reason.
    Am I destined for a country membership just to get on a tee sheet at a weekend? Or do I need to look at spending more money in a "better, more expensive" club?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭ blue note


    I was thinking about it at the weekend again. Practically every club I hear of is having problems with too many people on their timesheets at present. You could leave and try somewhere else, but I'd hazard a guess that you'd have a similar problem in most places.

    And as regards the "public" bookings during the Sunday comp; the reality is that if you stopped allowing people to do this it would make very little difference. People would just put down their mates names and switch them out nearer to the day. The odd threeballs you see out there would still exist, sometimes things can come up last minute and you can't make your Sunday time.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭ willabur


    4.5 hours to get around yesterday

    First 12 holes particularly slow


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭ willabur


    Felexicon wrote: »
    At least you got you bollox

    come again?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭ Felexicon


    willabur wrote: »
    come again?

    Edited 😂😂😂


  • Registered Users Posts: 24 ✭✭✭ Tescosfinest


    gypsy79 wrote: »
    I suspect that this is a mistake. I am sure you guys are getting same concession that Elmgreen and Castleknock are. No society or visitors November 1st - March 1st

    Thank god for that, I reckon about 100 members can't get on the timesheet in Castleknock next Saturday because the Raheny Inn are having their society, it's crazy if you think about it


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭ Felexicon


    willabur wrote: »
    come again?

    Post has been removed. I apologise if it caused offence. It was meant in jest.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭ FixdePitchmark


    Since the course has been operated by a private company.

    It is harder to get out and more expensive for the public.

    It is now 30 euro for a round around Corballis - that is expensive for what is a public facility and at the end of the day, is an extended par 3 course.

    There is a whole other debate about if golf should be part of park services / public facilities.

    But I'm just stating my own experience as a green fee paying member of the public.

    I typically paid about 15 to 20 euro in the older arrangement.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ charlieIRL


    Since the course has been operated by a private company.

    It is harder to get out and more expensive for the public.

    It is now 30 euro for a round around Corballis - that is expensive for what is a public facility and at the end of the day, is an extended par 3 course.

    There is a whole other debate about if golf should be part of park services / public facilities.

    But I'm just stating my own experience as a green fee paying member of the public.

    I typically paid about 15 to 20 euro in the older arrangement.

    When we started playing it first for the winter matchplay it was never over €15. Big difference now unfortunately.


  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭ thewobbler


    Thank god for that, I reckon about 100 members can't get on the timesheet in Castleknock next Saturday because the Raheny Inn are having their society, it's crazy if you think about it

    That’s quite extraordinary. A full 4 hours of a Saturday’s timesheet in October, not available to members.

    There is simply no chance that these things are done by accident. It’s a deliberate decision to prioritise the needs of non-members, and what it actually does is make non-membership seem like a improvement.

    Members really need to push back. Properly push back.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭ blue note


    Since the course has been operated by a private company.

    It is harder to get out and more expensive for the public.

    It is now 30 euro for a round around Corballis - that is expensive for what is a public facility and at the end of the day, is an extended par 3 course.

    There is a whole other debate about if golf should be part of park services / public facilities.

    But I'm just stating my own experience as a green fee paying member of the public.

    I typically paid about 15 to 20 euro in the older arrangement.

    It's the best value course I know of. Green fees on courses that aren't a patch on corballis are considerably higher in Dublin. And having a membership option for €350 genuinely makes golf membership accessible to people. It very much delivers on it's public course ethos.

    As regards it being an extended par 3 - I think that's nonsense, but let's say it is effectively an extended par 3. So what?There are normal length public courses available for a similar green fee price. If people prefer them they're available. If someone prefers corballis they can choose there. People get hung up on labels and classifications. They're not important.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭ willabur


    extended par 3 is a silly comment.

    Its short alright but by no means is it a bomb and gouge course. You won't find your ball if you do


Advertisement