Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corballis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

Played on Saturday gone. The course was in as good a nick as I've ever seen it. Good growth around the place.

8th hole is just a mess at the moment. Joke of an index 3 which makes a real difference in match play games. Massive advantage to the higher handicap. It's hard not to have net birdie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It should count for everything really given the fact that people knowingly built/set up camp beside it, but that probably won't matter much. Hopefully something is sorted.

they'll need to reroute the stretch from 8 to 11. It'll be expensive and its not super clear who will foot the cost of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I know there is a plan. But they could go with:

8th tee to 9th green

10th becomes 9

8th green becomes a par 3

11th is better signposted but I have never seen anyone threaten the park

I know there are much more expansive improvement plans

• Registered Users Posts: 2 taddfujikawa

could do worse than make it a less than 18 holer. take out some of the holes at turn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Due to play Friday @12.30 (but that could change with work). Would there be any fear of not getting in before sunset?

Also any tips appreciated. Never played the course before!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 taddfujikawa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Don't go for the 11th first time without knowing where you're going. Whatever club gets you 150 yards from the tee, hit that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Use a 7 iron everywhere!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Go hard or go home 🤣

Left side of centre for second and aim right for 11 and have a craic at them both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Something seriously wrong somewhere ..if it takes over 4 hours to get around Corballis.....

Agree. It should take no more than 3 hours in 3 ball, maybe another 15 minutes in fourball

Thanks lads. Looking good that I'll be able on Friday but I'll know tomorrow for sure. I'll bring the driver just Incase but looks like irons will be my friends!

I agree with this, just make sure the way is clear before you do it, and don't have a moan if you can't find your ball :)

You'll definitely use your driver at least 3 times (more depending on the wind).

As for take only a 7 iron, that's a little extreme but it is a chance to take a half set. Any time I am practicing out there I take at most 7 clubs, I don't find that my score is any different from it.

I am out tomorrow myself, should be just coming in when you are going out, I'll keep an eye out for some lad rooting around the back of the 2nd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

While probably a bit tongue in cheek, it's not the worst advice. Not just for Corballis, but in general. Wussing out of taking on a shot doesn't remove danger - you can still fuk up the layup or the easier approach. And if you take something on even you don't pull it off it doesn't necessarily mean that you will scratch the hole. 11th being the best example - more often than not going for the green is the best option from the tee. Depending on the wind it's even reachable with an iron. When you can hit it with an iron you really have to be asking yourself if you should be laying up at all?

For a line though - send one of your playing partners to the top of the hill from the 10th green and have them look out for your ball. Without doing that I don't know how you'd have any idea where to aim.

I wouldn't go for the second though. Going long on that approach is very easy to do from the tee and if you don't see where your ball goes into the long grass over the back of the green you'd be very lucky to find it. Which brings me to my next piece of advice - bring balls. Anything not on the fairway or green is potentially lost. You'll have days there where you get lucky and find your wayward shots. And you'll have others where you haven't missed your targets by much but you're checking your bag to see how many balls you brought out.

I want to play Corballis again 🤣

anything to be said for a boards Christmas Turkey shoot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Well you probably have a collection of them you could stick up as prizes after last weekends golf 😉

Is it the course that has had the most amount of different people to have played it in the country?

Lol

well I shouldn’t be going hungry over Christmas alright

• Advertisement

I'm a ginger as well so an even easier spot! Enjoy your round too.

Ye'd have some craic out there today in that wind. Enjoy.

Fckn hell that was some wind. No course guide will do you any good in that.

Lost the doubles matchplay on the 18th hole. Gutted. Wind was crazy, driver needed off the par 3 9th

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ALB2022

We played yesterday and one of the lads hit a 4 iron to about 8ft on the 9th...playing together 25 years and might be the best shot I've seen him hit (3 putted).

I must have come close to an albatross on the 8th....didn't know there was a temporary green, thought the flag was a marker. Won't mention the rest of the round.

My God lads the wind. Had 6 scratches for 24 points but was happy with that in that wind. Ye were right about the balls. 2 of the scratches were big drives that we just couldn't find.

Beautiful course. Course guide went out the window with the wind though! 😅 I'll be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Haha the most fun on a course?

I've played Corballis loads, generally shoot pretty good scores there and I just hate it. Like I hate playing it. I like the idea of going to it, but once I'm there I just don't like it.

A lot of my friends are relatively new to golf so it's a nice change of pace from the course we are members on. But they've let the rough go too wild in recent times and it's just annoying personally for a course which has such a high visitor count.

Such a weird place. It's clearly a nice course, and I should like it, but I just get real down when I'm there playing :D

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess

I think it is well known I love it there ...I don't consider it a full golf course , but there is a joy in that too..I love fast golf, I love a sea view and I love links, I like blind holes...It is like it was made for me..

You can have the best start ever there say level after 3..even say 1 under ....(I think I have been)....and I'm not exaggerating ...you could be 10 over standing on the 10th tee..

You can be inches from a bird to a quad.

I hate it...but there is something I love about that edge of seat golf too...

A further aspect of it for me was, the fact it was so cheap and public.

I probably accept it was too cheap...but if you start charging over 30 quid for the place ....the joy of that is somewhat gone.

Whilst the greens are always a joy...the divots are horrendous the last few times I was there..and it definitely has more and more golfers on it, a place that can't cope with too many golfers...

• Advertisement

I find myself in agreement with you again

thats a bang on assessment.... Its a bit like mario kart with an infinite supply of banana skins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭thelostboys23

Some big fans of the famed Corballis course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Think it's fair to say they've been in love with Ireland in general... they couldn't get over Cruit Island is yesterday's episode.

Didn't know there was scope for a few middle / older aged lads to go around playing courses on YouTube tube talking crap...

Was thinking you had to be ..young , cool , a frat boy ...or an English lad with fairly bad "banter mate!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Any updates on the 8th hole and any potential redesign?

none, need to sort out the contract with Carr first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

pretty sure they will be kept on.

Was chatting to committee member yesterday, the plan is to move the old 8th green forward in under the 11th tee box. I think its a terrible idea. people on the 11th tee box will be peppered by lads going for the green

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭blue note

I haven't spoken to anyone about it in a few months, but previously that was the plan for the 8, but they were also going to change 10 and 11. In the case of 11 they were planning to move the tee box and turn it into a par 3. Apparently, there were a lot of balls going into the caravan park from the 11th tee too. I suppose people hooking balls when laying up, or people taking a driver when they don't know the course and hooking it into the caravan park. The other change was to 10, they were going to move the tee box back as far as they could and turn it into a par 4 (possibly moving the green a bit too).

For me these changes would all be positive from a course point of view. The 8th was a dull hole to me - usually downwind so you just needed to hit your 200 yard club into acres of space. Then a short iron / wedge into a huge green. Whereas now there could be a real risk / reward in deciding whether to go for it. The tricky thing here is making sure it's a proper consideration for the players. There's no point in having it so perilous to go for that no-one (other than fools) go for it. But you don't want a situation either where there's no danger for the layup and then it's a fairly easy green to go at for your second. Really, they'd want to pop down a fairway bunker or something too just to give people something to think of for the layup shot.

I can't really see the room to turn 10 into a par 4 to be honest. Is it going to be another driveable par 4? And what are they going to add to make it interesting? If they're adding another driveable par 4, they need to consider what this will do to round times too because they don't speed up play. I believe there are a few things that were removed from the course to speed up the rounds - one of the fairway bunkers on 8, bunker before the green on 10, thick rough between the holes on 15/16 and possibly 14/18. From a course point of view I'd prefer to see these things remain, although it's probably more likely I don't know what's good for me and it's less misery I need on the course. Maybe adding a few high rise apartment blocks on the beach to block the wind would help me. But 10 is a bit of a nothing hole anyway - a reasonable length par 3, no danger, massive green. Very meh.

11 I've said before is the only hole on the course I don't like. The "safe" tee shot laying up will leave your ball run down to where millions of other balls have run down to before you. So the chances of ending up in a divot or a filled in divot are huge. And you'll be blind into the green. I really dislike that going for the green is the best option from the tee. It's actually my best / second best hole on hdid, so it's not from misery that I dislike it. I just think it's a stupid hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

My experience of 11 is that it's a poor hole determined by chance. I forget the yardage you need to hit off the tee again for the layup.. but it feels like 2 different players hitting that yardage over the correct line, can face completely different outcomes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Played Corballis today for the first time. It certainly didn't help that the wind was absolutely insane, but I wasn't overly impressed tbh.

Way too many blind shots for my liking. And a lot of holes seem to be determined by chance. A good shot can be punished badly for no apparent reason.

The 8th is an awful hole. Seems very out of place.

On 11 I hit 6i which hit the green, ran up and took a look in the hole, and then ran off the back into knee high stuff.

On 13 I hit my tee shot to less than 2 feet. The ball sat there for a few seconds, then slowly rolled backwards and trickled off the green completely. What should've been an easy tap in birdie, turned into a difficult up and down for par.

The shared fairways later in the round (15 & 16?) are terrible in my opinion. Just a really bad layout with people hitting across each other.

Having said all that, it wasn't all bad. There were a couple of nice holes and the greens were in great condition. And at 25 quid for a round it's decent value.

I wouldn't mind playing it in summer on a calm day now that I know the layout a bit, but I wouldn't be in a hurry back other than that.

I don't think anyone was ever suggesting Corballis is a great golf course ..but it is a great golf experience , with about 6 fantastic golf holes...Many of them are way too short ..but it gives you a fantastic miniature feel for the great Irish links courses ..It is a wonderful practice for the big guns.

It teaches you fantastic strategy and great discipline off the tee.

The greens are always fantastic, It is great value and the views are some of the best on a course in Dublin.

I personally like blind holes ..I like visualising holes and spaces I can't see.

I like the challenge that places on the shot and being creative with aiming points and the way the hole flows.

If you want a true full golf experience of that ..Next door at The Island is the place to be.

But if we are being honest ..the top links courses on the East Coast are practically becoming inaccessible..even winter rates are daft now.

I'm not sure where Links golf is going for amateurs in Ireland..it is all rather disappointing..Corballis may soon be the only access to reasonable priced Links golf in Dublin..

What is the winter rate at The Island ?

Corballis is love//hate

if its not for you its not for you?

Interested about your comment on 11, did you have a spotter? I know from previous posts you are new enough to the game so hitting the green with a 6 iron is a hell of a shot, if its coming in low or riding the wind then its not the right shot for the hole, doesn't matter how close to the hole it runs.

8th hole is bad alright but is a temporary measure while they sort out the situation with the car park. Agreed on 15 and 16 though 14 and 18 is far worse IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭redhill

Do they still have Opens during the Winter months? And if so on what days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Myself and a few lads played Corballis a few years ago. Had great sport. Spotted a few randomers walking though and we followed them

😳😳😳

Lads. When did Ireland get a nudist colony? I'm certain it was Corballis. Played before Covid anyway. It was pure chance we never got back but I'd recommend the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I agree it's a love/hate type of place. I've spoken to plenty of people who really love it. There were just aspects of it that I didn't like and, as you say, it just wasn't for me. Doesn't mean it's a bad course or anything. It's certainly not.

On 11, yeah we played with another guy who knew the course relatively well. He recommended I hit 6i. He hit his tee shot and then ran to the top of the hill to spot our shots when we teed off. There was a very strong wind at our back so that definitely helped. Wouldn't have made the green otherwise. It's a funny hole but again just comes down to me not being a big fan of completely blind tee shots. Other people love that stuff.

As I said though, it's not that I thought it was a bad course. Just wasn't really for me, and the poor layout on the later holes had me scratching my head.

I do think I'd enjoy it more the next time round having played it once before. But hopefully on a calmer day weather wise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The 11th is the worst hole I’ve played in Ireland. I like Corballis for what it is, but the bad holes are worse than even what you would find in a small town 9 hole.

A round can take hours there as well due to the number of par 3s, short par 4s and bunches of lads who never play links heading out. Lot of fore being shouted.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Advertisement
Advertisement