Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Just for the record so to speak, I've always been honest with my posts here and the level of winnings or lack of winnings that I've experienced
    But I'm sure like a few others here, I have at times wondered about the "luck" that some other posters have had when reconciled with my own luck or lack of luck
    If they are been honest, well then I say more power to you and long may it last but if you're not, then shame on you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭robwen

Screenshots of winnings should be simple enough do & black out sensitive info

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I don’t get why anyone would lie about their winnings? I know posters in other threads sometimes like to show a bit of bravado saying they invested in something whose share price rose massively. But prize bonds, it’s literally just a raffle so why lie..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

robwen wrote: »
    Screenshots of winnings should be simple enough do & black out sensitive info

Happy to do that if you tell me how! Don't know whether I am one of the people John doubts - I've had a great start to the year!

Ah poor John - he'll definitely think I'm a troll now. Don't understand what's happening but another €50 today! If you don't believe I had dry spells too, look back for all my :( and my :mad: - I'm sure plenty of the posters will remember them over the past 7 years that I have been posting here.

And as I said, if someone gives me easy-to-follow instructions, I don't mind posting a screenshot!

Good luck to all of you today.

• Advertisement

Well done Tuis keep it up and I can "honestly" say my winning streak ended today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭PB2018

Wins on 12th February 2021: €0
    Last win: 18th December 2020: €50
    Weeks since last win: 8
    €134k invested in prize bonds since July 2017
    Win ratio: 24 wins in 189 weeks (13%)
    2017 (Jul-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2018 (Jan-Dec): 4 x €50 = €200
    2019 (Jan-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2020 (Jan-Dec): 10 x €50 = €500
    2021 (Jan-date): 0 x €50 = €0

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pbtracker

Well no chance of overstating my 2021 winnings anyway....they continue to be ZERO :-)

Winnings on 12th February 2021: €0
    Last win : €50 6th Nov 2020
    Investment : €77K (from Aug 2020)
    Winnings Total : €200
    Pre 2020 : €50
    2020 : €150
    2021 : €0

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭carrickbawn

Nothing for me again today. Well done Tuis,you are on a roll. Rock on.
    As for screenshots,,,, I haven’t a notion of it ,for the simple reason that I couldn’t give a fiddlers if people are being a little economical with the truth sometimes.
    It doesn’t change my life in any way.
    Why would I care??

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

I love how everyone is genuinely delighted for other winners on this thread!
    Well done Tuis - you had enough dry spells so you deserve a flood of winners!

I can see a drop in the weekly number of Kildare winners since the reduction in prizes. Usually it was around the 200-210 winners per week. It's 177 this week....my name was on none of them.

#dry2021 continues in the Flexing household.

Jan XXXXX
    Feb XX

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Saudades wrote: »
    10 year anniversary?

:( A sad one, yes

tobdom wrote: »
    You seem to be really bettering the odds with your 2019 & 2020 outcomes, which is nice to see!

I invested 30K in Jan 2020 and finished the year with 2 x €50 (May & August), actually our holding was upped by another 10k in Dec 2020 (now 40k total)..... Nothing since 28th Aug 2020 though
    Swings and roundabouts really...

Winnings on 12th February 2021: €0
    Last win 18th December 2020: €100
    Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €3150
    2011: €75 x 4 = €300
    2012: €75 x 6 = €450
    2013: €50 x 12 = €600
    2014: €50 x 9 = €450
    2015: €50 x 5 = €250
    2016: €50 x 5 = €250
    2017: €50 x 4 = €200
    2018: €50 x 2 = €100
    2019: €50 x 6 = €300
    2020: €50 x 5 = €250
    2021: €0

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Just for the record so to speak, I've always been honest with my posts here and the level of winnings or lack of winnings that I've experienced
    But I'm sure like a few others here, I have at times wondered about the "luck" that some other posters have had when reconciled with my own luck or lack of luck
    If they are been honest, well then I say more power to you and long may it last but if you're not, then shame on you.....
    You've won €1,000 euro, so that is lucky, the whole point of this long thread is to make a comparison on ''luck'' and odds etc and in fairness to pbwinner who started this thread has always been totally honest in regarding his holding and winnings etc going back to 2011.
    I have always been totally honest in regarding my holding ''investment'' and winnings, this thread is not about boasting about winning, but more important just doing a random comparison on wins and amount ''invested'' I can't understand some posters being shy on disclosing their sum invested in Prize Bonds, it's not like we know each other personally, we all post under handle names, if your not prepared to disclose your holding, then there's no point in being involved in this thread, your contribution is meaningless.
    I had 3 batches up to September 2020, 10k 20k 30k, in September I purchased 4th batch 40k, now total holding 100k, in the entire year I won €150, pbwinner won a total of €250 and he has only 25k, so it's all just random luck, I have 100 prize bonds which I purchased between 1985 - 1990, held them for over 20 years and won €75euro in 2012, €50euro in 2013. I still have them, my total holding now is 16,100 prize bonds.
    I've always stated if I ever win the 50k or the million, now reduced to 250k, I'II definitely post a screengrab here and celebrate.
    Nothing for me today, last win €50euro on 22nd January 2021, maybe I'II have better luck this year, I don't always post weekly, but I always post when I have a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Nothing again.

Last win October 2020

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    This thread is not about boasting about winning, but more important just doing a random comparison on wins and amount ''invested'' I can't understand some posters being shy on disclosing their sum invested in Prize Bonds, it's not like we know each other personally, we all post under handle names, if your not prepared to disclose your holding, then there's no point in being involved in this thread, your contribution is meaningless.

I would totally agree with you, I think posting winnings and not the amount you have invested is a bit pointless and in fairness I think you did ask me a while back how much my "big batch" was worth and I apologise for not answering.
    But I've found over the years that when people including myself reveal the amount that they have in Prize bonds it usually results in some budding Gordon Gekko type person telling us that we're fecking idiots for not investing our money in whatever
    I'm sorry but for me life's to short to be dealing with that crap!!!!

Over the years that I've been posting here I've held all sorts of amounts in the Prize bonds. Starting back in my first post with €50K building it up to IIRC just shy of €500K and now currently I've two batches a €65K and a €250K
    My €1k win was from the new big batch which I purchased last June and we've also won another €400 in €50s as well on this batch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Not a thread to come into if your struggling financially should have a warning in thread title ha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

From today's draw some results which would be accused of lying if the people came on the thread. Nothing for me.

Prize Value Winning Prize Bond Location

€50 ALB419092 Galway
    €50 ALB419652 Galway

€50 BV297030 Westmeath
    €50 BV297274 Westmeath

€50 NW341801 Wexford
    €50 NW342056 Wexford

€50 ZD875653 Wexford
    €50 ZD875937 Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Not a thread to come into if your struggling financially should have a warning in thread title ��

I disagree... As a family we are struggling financially (have received money from church recently to cover the food bills over Christmas) and don't feel bad about others having success or the amounts they have invested, fair play to them....it's great to actually see good news.

It's been a tough year ...but we have our health (thankfully) and family - we have sold bits and pieces of stuff in the house to ensure the bills are covered over the past few months, welfare have been a help (wish they could/would do more but I'm not complaining)

I disagree... As a family we are struggling financially (have received money from church recently to cover the food bills over Christmas) and don't feel bad about others having success or the amounts they have invested, fair play to them....it's great to actually see good news.

It's been a tough year ...but we have our health (thankfully) and family - we have sold bits and pieces of stuff in the house to ensure the bills are covered over the past few months, welfare have been a help (wish they could/would do more but I'm not complaining)

I'm only messing around wasnt being serious and had myself a few thousand in prize bonds many years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Not a thread to come into if your struggling financially should have a warning in thread title ha :)

Not many here were born with a large wad of prize bonds in their mouth, to mix my metaphors. I suspect the majority have bonds as a result of hard work and diligent saving, combined with good fortune and fortuitous investing. In my case, apart from some early gifts and inheritances, I started by buying a small amount every month when I was trying to develop a regular savings habit. The larger tranches came later as a result of asset disposals and other life stage events. And like most people I've had plenty of financial challenges in my life. So people shouldn't be put off by the larger holdings here, instead I'd suggest that these should act as an encouragement to others to get started on the savings trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Sligo Quay wrote: »
    I have always been totally honest in regarding my holding ''investment'' and winnings, this thread is not about boasting about winning, but more important just doing a random comparison on wins and amount ''invested'' I can't understand some posters being shy on disclosing their sum invested in Prize Bonds, it's not like we know each other personally, we all post under handle names, if your not prepared to disclose your holding, then there's no point in being involved in this thread, your contribution is meaningless.

Couldn't agree more with your post and Agent Smyth's followup. I enjoy this thread for the bit of fun on a Friday, the insights that Dxhound2005 and Agent Smith and others come up with from time to time, and for the comparison of "luck". I've been very open with details of my holding and winnings. And while I appreciate that I have had a decent number of wins over the last couple of years (20 in 2019 and 24 in 2020), when viewed in the context of my holding these are pretty close to the expected/average return of .35% when the elusive larger prizes are excluded.

Posts which show the holding and history of wins alongside the recent win are obviously more useful, but we are all different and everybody is welcome (unless of course they are calling us idiots and telling us to invest in bitcoin, penny stock oil companies, gold or whatever your having yourself). And so what if pbwinner's win rate is far better than mine, I get a great kick out of seeing other regular posters like tuiseginideach on a roll and Agent Smyth hitting the big numbers.

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Not many here were born with a large wad of prize bonds in their mouth, to mix my metaphors. I suspect the majority have bonds as a result of hard work and diligent saving, combined with good fortune and fortuitous investing. In my case, apart from some early gifts and inheritances, I started by buying a small amount every month when I was trying to develop a regular savings habit. The larger tranches came later as a result of asset disposals and other life stage events. And like most people I've had plenty of financial challenges in my life. So people shouldn't be put off by the larger holdings here, instead I'd suggest that these should act as an encouragement to others to get started on the savings trail.

I was joking around and used to be a poster on this thread mnay years ago when I held a couple of thousand but gave up as prizes were non existant.
    When I stopped with prize bonds was not long after the 1 million monthly draw turned to bi monthly.
    Is it still bi monthly or has it gone worse again to every 3 months?

I was joking around and used to be a poster on this thread mnay years ago when I held a couple of thousand but gave up as prizes were non existant.
    When I stopped with prize bonds was not long after the 1 million monthly draw turned to bi monthly.
    Is it still bi monthly or has it gone worse again to every 3 months?

It's obviously been a while since you've been here, were now down to a quarter mil four times a year :(

It's obviously been a while since you've been here, were now down to a quarter mil four times a year :(

That's a bummer It was always nice to have the chance to become a millionaire from them as slim as it maybe but interest rates being so low is the reason is it?

I might start buying a few again on payday i think i might even have 1 100 euro still left in gunsafe I kept to save me having to do the anti fraud hassle if I should decide to buy again.

Interestingly in the month of Jan/ first two weeks Feb, these were my winnings:
    2015: 1 x €50
    2016: 1 x €50
    2017: 1 x €50
    2018:1 x €50
    2019:1 x €50
    2020:1 x €50
    2021 5 x €50

No. of prizebonds hasn't changed much - some cashed in, some new ones bought, some swapped for new ones but very little difference overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Nothing since September on a 100k house deposit, fooking joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭John arse

Thargor wrote: »
    Nothing since September on a 100k house deposit, fooking joke.
    yeah serious barren patch that-i understand your frustration,i had 131k there a few years ago that won just once in 12 months!.that 100k of yours should be getting something every couple of months at least(i guess that u know that),best of luck for the future!

But I've found over the years that when people including myself reveal the amount that they have in Prize bonds it usually results in some budding Gordon Gekko type person telling us that we're fecking idiots for not investing our money in whatever
    I don't take notice of so called armchair financial experts who seem to have the answer to every ''get rich quick scheme'' I think most of them have lost their shirts and there's a tiny bit of jealousy and begrudgery to somebody like me with my boring, unexciting low risk financial situation that has served me for the last 40 years. Members of my family have had the same opportunities as me and some are penniless because of bad financial decisions, I recently helped a family member because they hadn't got the means for the next mortgage payment.
    A work colleague of mine about 15 years ago put his retirement lump sum into Anglo Irish Bank shares, he couldn't get enough of them, he was a good friend and advised me to cash in them ''silly post office saving certs'' I didn't take his advice, anyway he died a broken man, we make our decisions and live with the consequences, good and bad, that's life.
    Now back to Prize Bonds, hopefully a few wins this year:D

• Advertisement

Hibernicis wrote: »
    And while I appreciate that I have had a decent number of wins over the last couple of years (20 in 2019 and 24 in 2020), when viewed in the context of my holding these are pretty close to the expected/average return of .35% when the elusive larger prizes are excluded.
    Yes but that's the crucial question, what is your holding, mine is there for all to see.

Advertisement