Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

circadian wrote: »
    I get that. My problem is I've always traded long. I'm trying to learn more about trends, fundamentals etc and making choices based on what I believe to be a solid theory when

Stock market at the moment is decoupled from traditional concept of investment where shareholders get a profit of the company. Its pure speculations fuelled by COVID-19 money and people stuck at home. We are playing zero sum game where someone wins at the expense of someone loosing. Social media only highlights winning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

I get that. My problem is I've always traded long. I'm trying to learn more about trends, fundamentals etc and making choices based on what I believe to be a solid theory when in reality what I'm seeing is the beginning of a reddit rush.

I had longer term stocks in some medicinal cannabis companies that I had to dump out today because the top post on WSB was advising people to do this, driving the price down. Sure I'd make a profit from the stop loss but for someone who isn't glued to the screen all day the price shooting up then down is far too much volatility to keep on top of.

I got on the GME train, of course I did. It was 140% shorted for **** sake. But everything is now to the moon then days later dump it. Means I have another metric to keep on top of while trying to actually learn to trade. I intend on doing this long beyond it being a cool thing on Reddit and right now suits me for applying time to learn.

EDIT: Just to add, I don't begrudge people from making money on the market. Not at all, I'm just frustrated that when I have the time to learn this stuff, it coincides witha trend off the back of the GME boom. I also wonder how many of the millions of new users are Wall Street folks using this as a tool to push their agenda, knowing full well that the SEC will put pressure on Reddit to either reign in or completely removing trading discussions altogether. It's a win-win for Wall Street. Make the money they lost on GME back with pump and dumps in the guise of some WSB user doing "great DD" and they also remove a platform for the retail traders that have been making inroads since the start of the pandemic.

Are you buying something to hold for day, months, years or hours? if its months don't look at reddit, its just noise when you zoom out.

If I am going into AMC,SNDL which is purely speculative, hype etc I am only staying there for couple hours, days max.. get profit and get out. Then Ill keep an eye on reddit, twitter sentiment and go with the wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Treppen wrote: »
    It's on Trading 212

On a waiting list with them. Seems like they've blocked new sign ups since 2 weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

blah wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I have just started out with small sums. Bought organigram when I saw your post @ 4.45, sold after one day @ 5.62. Right now it's down to 3.69

Sorry, I should have mentioned I was quoting the Canadian Dollar amount at the time. But ya the price % changes are still the same.

I reckon the whole sector will be down more in the next few days.

Interesting the small bio canna pharma stocks are a bit slower to drop. I mentioned earlier, they're the ones to take a punt on the next time the big boys go up. Once everyone and their granny hear about cannabis stocks at the dinner table, by the time they try and get in on the headliners it's too late, so a couple of days later you'll see these minnows take off as people get desperate for any foot in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

Unearthly wrote: »
    On a waiting list with them. Seems like they've blocked new sign ups since 2 weeks ago

Whiff of time when you couldn't sign up to any crypto exchange in 2017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Just bought 1,000 $TXMD @ $1.92.

Anyone else holding any?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I was looking at Warren Buffets portfolio last night. Here it is;

https://dataroma.com/m/holdings.php?m=BRK

https://dataroma.com/m/hist/hist.php?f=BRK&s=AAPL

I was wondering what price he bought the Apple stock. Most bought 2017 to 2018. Prices then were around $30 to 40, allowing for share splits. Today its 135. That gives you an idea how much the market has moved in 2 years for top stocks.
    You'd have to wonder if a correction is coming.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

CCIV - Lucid seems to be almost there. Huge jump after hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

Kilough wrote: »
    What's the easiest way to invest in KR1? Looked at them last night and they seem impressive and set for strong growth going forward. I've mailed Degiro asking can they be added to their platform but no response on it

Will you keep us posted on this. I want to get in on this share and would like to do so on Degiro.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wow he owns a lot of AAPL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I was wondering what price he bought the Apple stock. Most bought 2017 to 2018. Prices then were around $30 to 40, allowing for share splits. Today its 135. That gives you an idea how much the market has moved in 2 years for top stocks.
    A correction HAS to be coming in some sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

6541 wrote: »
    Will you keep us posted on this. I want to get in on this share and would like to do so on Degiro.

I also emailed Degiro today about this. They say they're swamped so not expecting a quick response. Might call them tomorrow if it hasn't been added.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

Where do you fond that information ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,723 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

6541 wrote: »
    Where do you fond that information ?

All fund managers have to file a 13F with the SEC every quarter. This lists their portfolio composition.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

PLTR dropping nicely

HYLN announced a new EV battery 🔋, up nearly 20% could go higher once Reddit band jumps into it😀

I bought some HYLN pre merger back in June, but had a much bigger position in NIO, I remember being very jealous that HYLN had pumped up to 55 while NIO still back in the 20s, that 55 didn't last long though, I eventually flogged on my few HYLN for like a 5dollar gain at 25 good while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I don’t understand the short term-ism on here it’s a mugs game companies only report every three months at most. The only thing you get from day trading is neck strain from checking your portfolio 10 times a day. Before wall st crash in1929 Joe Kennedy sold up when he started get stock tips from newspaper sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Any thoughts on cannabis companies today after the sell off yesterday ?, perhaps stay off for a few days and come back next week to it ?

I don’t understand the short term-ism on here it’s a mugs game companies only report every three months at most. The only thing you get from day trading is neck strain from checking your portfolio 10 times a day. Before wall st crash in1929 Joe Kennedy sold up when he started get stock tips from newspaper sellers.

He was delighted to get tips from newspaper sellers, it was the shoeshine boys where he drew the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

bish76 wrote: »
    Stock market at the moment is decoupled from traditional concept of investment where shareholders get a profit of the company. Its pure speculations fuelled by COVID-19 money and people stuck at home. We are playing zero sum game where someone wins at the expense of someone loosing. Social media only highlights winning though.
    That traditional concept has been gone for generations at this stage. Any asset (a company included) is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, always has.

If there's more money, then people will pay more to get that. In the past year, think of all the money that's been saved, a lot of that has ended up in stocks.

Do you expect that once lockdown ends, everyone sells their shares to go to Lanzarote?

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    A correction HAS to be coming in some sectors.
    I'd love to find how many times this has been posted in the past year.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I'd love to find how many times this has been posted in the past year.

It will, however, eventually be right. Whether it's in the same category as a stopped clock, time (see what I did there) will tell. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

For anyone that holds Palantir 3 days after their earnings, the early investors/employees are allowed to sell all of their shares and not only 20% like now so people could easily be shat on. I am going to sell today then buy back when the dust has settled.

Feb 16th Earnings
    Feb 19th Not good to hold

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

Any thoughts on cannabis companies today after the sell off yesterday ?, perhaps stay off for a few days and come back next week to it ?

Yeah let the dust settle on them for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I also emailed Degiro today about this. They say they're swamped so not expecting a quick response. Might call them tomorrow if it hasn't been added.

Received a response from degiro this morning:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

Please note we have temporarily stopped new product insertions for the time being.

The reason for this is because adding new products can be labor-intensive on our side and with the high volume of activity recently, we need to focus our efforts on high priority tasks.

We will continue to allow product requests in the future, but we do not yet have an estimated timeframe as of yet.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,

Pretty poor that a trading platform can't add stocks because they're overwhelmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Talk of CTRM and SNDL in here....I thought this WASN'T about "reddit" stocks??...it's a farce at this stage that there's still 2 threads, last time I'll post in here..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

[/LIST]
    That's pretty impressive if it goes into production with these kinds of figures.

there's few who made similar claims, QS one of them. but that's all in distance...for the moment we just need to ride Euphoria.
    I very nearly bought me for around 15 a few days ago for HYLN, I thought it was a great price! Ah well...

agree got into them last week, thinking that's the lowest they have gone since merger and since the market is all EV crazy, they have a good chance of upside.
    Timmaay wrote: »
    I bought some HYLN pre merger back in June, but had a much bigger position in NIO, I remember being very jealous that HYLN had pumped up to 55 while NIO still back in the 20s, that 55 didn't last long though, I eventually flogged on my few HYLN for like a 5dollar gain at 25 good while back.

We all have those moments. the moment we buy them they stop moving :)
    Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    For anyone that holds Palantir 3 days after their earnings, the early investors/employees are allowed to sell 20% of their shares so people could easily be shat on. I am going to sell today then buy back when the dust has settled.

Feb 16th Earnings
    Feb 19th Not good to hold

thanks for the dates, was thinking $25-26 would be a good entry point for them based on recent prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Received a response from degiro this morning:

Pretty poor that a trading platform can't add stocks because they're overwhelmed.

Quite stupid that it's a labor intensive action also. Should all be automated.

It will, however, eventually be right. Whether it's in the same category as a stopped clock, time (see what I did there) will tell. :D
    Yeah, but most waiting for the pullback will have lost more money waiting than they would if they just invested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I asked them about adding SMT and got the same stock reply, thats a pity.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement