Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭theVersatile

I love people blaming Murray's pass to Henderson for the try when it's Ringrose's awful offload attempt off an exit scrum which puts us in that position in the first place. Garry's contribution to the try seemed to be completely disregarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

mun1 wrote: »
    I’d go for this starting team on Sunday , which i think have a good chance of beating France if we can match them up front and get good ball to the outside backs. Back 3 Might be a bit dodgy in defence, but worth the risk.

1. Healy
    2. Herring
    3. Furlong (brilliant when he came on last week)
    4. Beirne
    5. Ryan
    6. Ruddock.
    7. VDF
    8. Stander
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Larmour
    12. Henshaw
    13. Ringrose
    14. Lowe
    15. Keenan (find of the season for me).

Don't think Porter did anything to warrant being dropped to the bench. Nor Furlong to be promoted to starting. Nothing against either player. I just think Porter's playing excellent rugby and Furlong could probably use another match to get up to starting fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Don't think Porter did anything to warrant being dropped to the bench. Nor Furlong to be promoted to starting. Nothing against either player. I just think Porter's playing excellent rugby and Furlong could probably use another match to get up to starting fitness.

Based on the current squad Id go...

Kilcoyne
    Kelleher
    Furlong
    Beirne
    Henderson /Ryan
    Ruddock
    VdF
    Conan
    Murray
    Byrne/ Johnny
    Larmour
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Daly
    Keenan

Heffernan
    Healy
    Porter
    Dillane
    Conors
    Casey
    Conway
    Farrell

Would have made sense to call up mcgrath the leinster scrumhalf with 2 10's from leinster over 2 scrum halves from munster and no 10.

* my team includes no project players on purpose. While a lot wont agree that's my personal opinion. Great for the club game but not ideal for int game. The single biggest hindrance in us progressing our young players..

If ryan and sexton are out i think farrell will pick

Healy
    Herring
    Furlong
    Beirne
    henderson
    Ruddock
    Vdf
    Stander
    Murray
    Burns
    Larmour
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Lowe
    Keenan

Kelleher
    Kilcoyne
    Porter
    Dillane
    Connors
    Park
    Byrne
    Earls

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Based on the current squad Id go...

Kilcoyne
    Kelleher
    Furlong
    Beirne
    Henderson /Ryan
    Ruddock
    VdF
    Conan
    Murray
    Byrne/ Johnny
    Larmour
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Daly
    Keenan

Heffernan
    Healy
    Porter
    Dillane
    Conors
    Casey
    Conway
    Farrell

Would have made sense to call up mcgrath the leinster scrumhalf with 2 10's from leinster over 2 scrum halves from munster and no 10.

* my team includes no project players on purpose. While a lot wont agree that's my personal opinion. Great for the club game but not ideal for int game. The single biggest hindrance in us progressing our young players..

If ryan and sexton are out i think farrell will pick

Healy
    Herring
    Furlong
    Beirne
    henderson
    Ruddock
    Vdf
    Stander
    Murray
    Burns
    Larmour
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Lowe
    Keenan

Kelleher
    Kilcoyne
    Porter
    Dillane
    Connors
    Park
    Byrne
    Earls

Why Lowe and Larmour on the wrong wings?
    I’d assume Lowe will stay on his left wing and Larmour would be on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

mun1 wrote: »
    I’d go for this starting team on Sunday , which i think have a good chance of beating France if we can match them up front and get good ball to the outside backs. Back 3 Might be a bit dodgy in defence, but worth the risk.

1. Healy
    2. Herring
    3. Furlong (brilliant when he came on last week)
    4. Beirne
    5. Ryan
    6. Ruddock.
    7. VDF
    8. Stander
    9. Murray
    10. Sexton
    11. Larmour
    12. Henshaw
    13. Ringrose
    14. Lowe
    15. Keenan (find of the season for me).

Again, if Lowe and Larmour are both on the wing they wouldn’t swap wings,
    Lowe has been a left winger for ages, and Larmour would play on the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I shouldn't think so. The Welsh loss can be written off due to the red card and in fairness the team played quite well considering.

I think Farrell will be under pressure however if our only win ends up being over Italy. It would add up a very poor 15 months under him.

This...I've always said I would judge Farrell after this 6Ns. Starting with two defeats would be bad, but I don't think it was the coaches fault that we lost on Sunday. I agree...I thought we actually played well. But 1 win from 5 would lead to searching questions.

The big question that you need to answer before egetting rid of Farrell is who would replace him?

I personally think ROG has a great chance of becoming Ireland coach...and a successful one at that...but I think its a bit early for him...post 2023 might be better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Why Lowe and Larmour on the wrong wings?
    I’d assume Lowe will stay on his left wing and Larmour would be on the right.

Sorry I was copying it from the team above where I had daly on the right wing. You are dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

I love people blaming Murray's pass to Henderson for the try when it's Ringrose's awful offload attempt off an exit scrum which puts us in that position in the first place. Garry's contribution to the try seemed to be completely disregarded.

Both were equally to blame imo. Henderson was also poor but Murray gave them the ball.
    I was replying to people saying Murray played well. I really don't think he did and as my last post his errors contributed to a lot of Wales points. Other than people saying he "controlled the game" which is an excuse for been slow what did he do?
    JGP I don't think is our second best 9 but at least he can attack, in his few minutes he nearly got Ringrose in only for a great chase back from Tips.
    The 2 best 9s this year are Cooney and McGrath and neither selected in the squad.
    For what it's worth I don't think he was the only poor player last weekend. POM obviously, Earl's, Lowe and Ringrose all made to many mistakes.
    We hear excuses for not selecting inexperienced young players but it's the undroppables making all the errors....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,659 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

He tried an offload and the Welsh guy got a hand on it. That's a risk with offloads.

Remember when you hated Joe because he didn't want his players trying offloads in risky positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭theVersatile

He tried an offload and the Welsh guy got a hand on it. That's a risk with offloads.

Remember when you hated Joe because he didn't want his players trying offloads in risky positions?

I never held the offloading thing against Joe - he left it to players who were able to do it consistently. You must applaud Ringrose for trying to offload it through a Welsh player though (must have learned that skill from McCloskey) It was completely the wrong decision when we were looking for a strong exit platform - he's far more culpable for the try than either Hendo or Murray. And people say it's Sexton who gets the blind eye turned to him when it comes to mistakes...
    phily2002 wrote: »
    Both were equally to blame imo. Henderson was also poor but Murray gave them the ball.
    I was replying to people saying Murray played well. I really don't think he did and as my last post his errors contributed to a lot of Wales points. Other than people saying he "controlled the game" which is an excuse for been slow what did he do?
    JGP I don't think is our second best 9 but at least he can attack, in his few minutes he nearly got Ringrose in only for a great chase back from Tips.
    The 2 best 9s this year are Cooney and McGrath and neither selected in the squad.
    For what it's worth I don't think he was the only poor player last weekend. POM obviously, Earl's, Lowe and Ringrose all made to many mistakes.
    We hear excuses for not selecting inexperienced young players but it's the undroppables making all the errors....

FWIW, I think your point re: his penalties is fair enough. I've made my opinion fairly clear the last while that "running around like a lunatic" is not equal to "good nine play". Controlling the game isn't an excuse for playing slow. It ensures accuracy in his passes over a long sustained period of time - we saw with JGP and Burns what happens when you rush these things. I don't even find him that slow atm, box kicking set ups aside. We can always nit pick individual kicks but if only two out of eleven or thirteen (don't recall the exact figure) box kicks received a negative return - that's a fairly decent day's work IMO.

• Advertisement

I never held the offloading thing against Joe - he left it to players who were able to do it consistently. You must applaud Ringrose for trying to offload it through a Welsh player though (must have learned that skill from McCloskey) It was completely the wrong decision when we were looking for a strong exit platform - he's far more culpable for the try than either Hendo or Murray. And people say it's Sexton who gets the blind eye turned to him when it comes to mistakes...

FWIW, I think your point re: his penalties is fair enough. I've made my opinion fairly clear the last while that "running around like a lunatic" is not equal to "good nine play". Controlling the game isn't an excuse for playing slow. It ensures accuracy in his passes over a long sustained period of time - we saw with JGP and Burns what happens when you rush these things. I don't even find him that slow atm, box kicking set ups aside. We can always nit pick individual kicks but if only two out of eleven or thirteen (don't recall the exact figure) box kicks received a negative return - that's a fairly decent day's work IMO.

Ringrose gave away a scrum, Murray gave them the ball for a free play. Don't know how you think Ringrose is worse. Both crap bits of play by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Sexton was absolutely screaming for the ball too. Rightly so, if it goes to hand he was away. Getting into the Welsh half was extremely difficult for us in the second half.

I think the offload attempt was the right call but Garry definitely needed to execute it better. But when we're a man down chasing a game sometimes these plays are worth it.

These swing on a knife edge. We'd still be talking about it 3 years on if Sexton missed that drop in Paris...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ringrose got plenty of shtick for that at the time. It was a clumsy attempt in the wrong part of the field, thing is he made a lot of yards leading up to it and all over had a very tidy game. One of the few standouts from the game, he was very good all over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

phily2002 wrote: »
    Ringrose gave away a scrum, Murray gave them the ball for a free play. Don't know how you think Ringrose is worse. Both crap bits of play by the way

He reacted to a bouncing ball from a wayward offload. That's the reason he was on his knees while passing, with 3 Welsh players around him, ready to turn over.

Henderson gave away a penalty 2 phases later and got back into the line too narrow. The try was scored, what 4 phases after his pass to henderson?

Murray had a mixed day, imo, but blaming him for that try is a real stretch imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

.ak wrote: »
    Ringrose got plenty of shtick for that at the time. It was a clumsy attempt in the wrong part of the field, thing is he made a lot of yards leading up to it and all over had a very tidy game. One of the few standouts from the game, he was very good all over.

Completely agree, that was the only blot on his copybook I could recall. Was excellent otherwise, all the more impressive after his relative lack of action lately after returning from the injury.

aloooof wrote: »
    He reacted to a bouncing ball from a wayward offload. That's the reason he was on his knees while passing, with 3 Welsh players around him, ready to turn over.

Henderson gave away a penalty 2 phases later and got back into the line too narrow. The try was scored, what 4 phases after his pass to henderson?

Murray had a mixed day, imo, but blaming him for that try is a real stretch imo.

He was responsible for it as was Ringrose and Henderson(and Sexton should have made to call for Lowe to launch it).
    He wasn't fully responsible for the second try but his high tackle gave them a free shot(Lowe terrible here also).
    He was responsible for the blocking penalty.
    Imagine if this was Casey's debut, we wouldn't be calling it a mixed performance, we'd be saying it was poor because of inexperience and he'd be dropped....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

We don't offload enough. Nobody should be criticized for trying more in this part of our game. Henshaw's offload is the first time in a while we've seen it in the 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

We don't really have dynamic runners to play an offloading game. Aki, Doris, etc are the exceptions rather than the rule. I've always found it interesting that our own fan base criticises the team for not offloading, but you've got the dominate the tackler first, and we don't really have that ability. Play to your strengths, and getting our hands free in the tackle is not one of them. We've the odd back that can attack a soft shoulder and get a hand free, Ringrose, Larmour, Lowe etc but our game isn't built on trail runners and nor should we change it just to get the reward from the odd offload.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

There's a time and place for offloads. Plus they're often judged on how successful they were. We could offload more, but just need to pick out when to do it. On the plus side, if players are more willing to try offloads, then it's a matter of refining that instinct and shows that they're being given that freedom to express themselves.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It's not just offloading, we're consistently poor drawing and giving the pass at the right time. Good teams attack like a wave, make a small break and move the ball to a player in a better position. We tend to be too staccato, make a good run, come to a hard stop, start again. It's noticable how rarely we manage to negotiate blindsided overlaps to create scoring opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

bilston wrote: »
    This...I've always said I would judge Farrell after this 6Ns. Starting with two defeats would be bad, but I don't think it was the coaches fault that we lost on Sunday. I agree...I thought we actually played well. But 1 win from 5 would lead to searching questions.

The big question that you need to answer before getting rid of Farrell is who would replace him?

I personally think ROG has a great chance of becoming Ireland coach...and a successful one at that...but I think its a bit early for him...post 2023 might be better

The bit in bold is the key. There are some fans (especially a certain one on here) calling for the coaching ticket to be scrapped but who will replace them? I can't think of any candidates readily available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    The bit in bold is the key. There are some fans (especially a certain one on here) calling for the coaching ticket to be scrapped but who will replace them? I can't think of any candidates readily available.

The perfect candidate is right under our noses.

Stuart Lancaster.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,215 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The perfect candidate is right under our noses.

Stuart Lancaster.

has said MULTIPLE times that hes not interested in a national coach position because of the additional responsibilities above and beyond coaching.

also hasnt exactly got a stellar CV when it comes to national teams and the scarce time he has to work with them.

similar to Pat Lam, he needs to be working with players day in day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Yeah_Right wrote: »

They need to replace Catt. I can't identify anything positive that he's brought to the team yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

sydthebeat wrote: »
    also hasnt exactly got a stellar CV when it comes to national teams.

Lancaster was made the scapegoat for England’s 15 minute onfield meltdown against Wales in the 2015 World Cup.

In reality, he was doing a good job, and arguably he was the architect of England’s relative success since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

With just a little more luck Lancaster would have won at least two Six Nations, he's got a decent record against most international teams and Eddie's initial success was at least partially based on Lancaster's work on the squad. He doesn't suit many of the duties that an international coach has and I think club coaching suits his strengths a lot more, but I think his record presents a bit of a different story to the commonly perceived narrative.

They need to replace Catt. I can't identify anything positive that he's brought to the team yet.

I think Ireland are playing a looser game than they were 18 months ago, so I think there are changes...whether they are the correct changes or not will only be known over time. But I definitely think we are less rigid than we were in 2019.

Teferi wrote: »
    With just a little more luck Lancaster would have won at least two Six Nations, he's got a decent record against most international teams and Eddie's initial success was at least partially based on Lancaster's work on the squad. He doesn't suit many of the duties that an international coach has and I think club coaching suits his strengths a lot more, but I think his record presents a bit of a different story to the commonly perceived narrative.

just for a bit of fun...who are the options?

Easterby
    Lancaster/Cullen
    McFarland
    Van Graan
    McCall
    O'Shea
    ROG
    Lam

Anyone else who would be realistically considered?

As I said a couple of pages ago I reckon ROG will be the man in the next 2-6 years, ie either for the 2027 or 2031 world cups.

Lancaster is an interesting one. He was the fall guy for England in 2015, but we can look at it objectively in Ireland and most reasonable people would say...yes he made mistakes, but there were other issues at play, particularly around Sam Burgess. He is older and wiser and now knows the Irish system inside out. If there was an opening and he made himself available I think he would be a no brainer. However there is no indication he'd want the job...never mind there being a vacancy.

Personally I think there is a lot still to be written in the Andy Farrell story so its just bit of fun to discuss this at the moment. It might be more serious in about 6 weeks time though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Easterby
    Lancaster/Cullen
    McFarland
    Van Graan
    McCall
    O'Shea
    ROG
    Lam

As I said a couple of pages ago I reckon ROG will be the man in the next 2-6 years, ie either for the 2027 or 2031 world cups.

Lancaster is an interesting one. He was the fall guy for England in 2015, but we can look at it objectively in Ireland and most reasonable people would say...yes he made mistakes, but there were other issues at play, particularly around Sam Burgess. He is older and wiser and now knows the Irish system inside out. If there was an opening and he made himself available I think he would be a no brainer. However there is no indication he'd want the job...never mind there being a vacancy.

Personally I think there is a lot still to be written in the Andy Farrell story so its just bit of fun to discuss this at the moment. It might be more serious in about 6 weeks time though

I suspect ROG has a plan to do a few years at Munster first. It would be difficult step to go from Ireland to Munster I’d think. Him more than most coaches seems to have decided to go fully through the motions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Easterby
    Lancaster/Cullen
    McFarland
    Van Graan
    McCall
    O'Shea
    ROG
    Lam

Lam all day long , Muldoon too , expect conn representation to increase

Advertisement