Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

Dupont probably the best player in the world on current form - he seems to be everywhere - hard to stop because he's often on clever support runs or doing something instinctive

Scored and made a try the last time out against Ireland

Wouldn't bet against him doing the same again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Sexton pretty unhappy here.

As opposed to his usual, cheery self, you mean? ;)

He's pretty spot on about the French doctor, mind.

aloooof wrote: »
    As opposed to his usual, cheery self, you mean? ;)

He can be a bit aloooof at times...

Here all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Fair point from Sexton. Surely a medical professional who was responsible for Sexton's health in the past should not be commenting publicly on his health and specific situation?

It certainly looks like he's going to play though. Has passed all the RTPP checks so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

glasso wrote: »
    Probably the best player in the world on current form - he seems to be everywhere - hard to stop because he's often on clever support runs or doing something instinctive

Scored and made a try the last time out against Ireland

Wouldn't bet against him doing the same again.

Either would I!

The bad decisions by Sexton when kicking in Oct and woeful chase cost Ireland dearly.
    Plenty of poor kicks last week against Wales from both Murray and Sexton doesn't bode well.

I would hope Ireland have some strategy in place to try and track and block/hold Dupont
    Look at how he left Murray for dead last year for the Ntamack try.
    That offload is outrageous....better than the one v Italy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmwTbO94I6k&t=219s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think we're stacked at locks. I can't think of a time where we've had this type of quality. Henderson, Beirne, Dillane and Ryan are all international standard imo. After these boys, there's Roux, and Treadwell. With Ahearn and Baird showing signs of developing. The other academy lads, Deeny, Murray and Charlie Ryan could develop into quality players.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

On the face of it, the actions of that doctor/neurologist are indefensible. Commenting on Sexton's medical history and speculating on his current situation is completely out of order.

I'll try to find the original quotes because it's hard to see how this is in any way ethical on his part.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

On the face of it, the actions of that doctor are indefensible. Commenting on Sexton's medical history is completely out of order.

Disgusting, unethical, unprofessional.

Sexton and his employers should examine legal action against this so called Doctor and any media that published or republished the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

On the face of it, the actions of that doctor are indefensible. Commenting on Sexton's medical history and speculating on his current situation is completely out of order.

If my doctor told someone they'd treated me for a cold in 2012 I'd be pissed off. And rightly so.

Completely unethical for a medical professional to broadcast information on a patient. Former or otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

CMcsporty wrote: »
    How can Ireland stop Dupont?
    Any Ideas?

Stop the box kick!!
    Give it to Lowe and hoof it. Territory!
    Or kick to touch.

He can’t score from his 22.
    Can he??

• Advertisement

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I think we're stacked at locks. I can't think of a time where we've had this type of quality. Henderson, Beirne, Dillane and Ryan are all international standard imo. After these boys, there's Roux, and Treadwell. With Ahearn and Baird showing signs of developing. The other academy lads, Deeny, Murray and Charlie Ryan could develop into quality players.

Just in terms of the top 4 selected, the 2011 RWC squad, comes to mind when we had O'Connell, O'Callaghan, Cullen and Donnacha Ryan, which looks stacked with quality in retrospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭joseywhales

If my doctor told someone they'd treated me for a cold in 2012 I'd be pissed off. And rightly so.

Completely unethical for a medical professional to broadcast information on a patient. Former or otherwise

I actually think he could lose his medical license, they should go after him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Disgusting carry-on from that “doctor”.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

On the face of it, the actions of that doctor/neurologist are indefensible. Commenting on Sexton's medical history and speculating on his current situation is completely out of order.

I'll try to find the original quotes because it's hard to see how this is in any way ethical on his part.

This is the original article https://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/rugby/tournoi-des-6-nations/tournoi-des-vi-nations-il-faut-que-sexton-sache-ce-qu-il-encourt-et-prenne-les-bonnes-decisions_AV-202102090192.html

Disgusting carry-on from that “doctor”.

It is.
    "I think Jonny Sexton is in the range of 30 concussions in his career history, it's true that it's huge."

Sexton says he has had 3 (2018).

I dont believe either of them.

I just hope Sexton isnt allowed played no matter what protocols he passes.
    The decision should be taken out of his hands by the Dr Ciaran Cosgrave.

hmmm, it doesnt look like he crosses the line actually, he doesn't comment on non public information of Sexton's medical history. Lots of conditional statement like "If this is true", still inappropriate though, particularly as sexton is a former patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

hmmm, it doesnt look like he crosses the line actually, he doesn't comment on non public information of Sexton's medical history. Lots of conditional statement like "If this is true", still inappropriate though, particularly as sexton is a former patient.

"I think Jonny Sexton is in the order of thirty concussions in his career history, it's true that it's huge. But all the tests that have been done on this player, for example when he was playing Racing, showed that he had exceptional cognitive performance."

This oversteps the mark for me.

"I think Jonny Sexton is in the order of thirty concussions in his career history, it's true that it's huge. But all the tests that have been done on this player, for example when he was playing Racing, showed that he had exceptional cognitive performance."

oui pardon!
    "it's true that it's huge"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

CMcsporty wrote: »
    I just hope Sexton isnt allowed played no matter what protocols he passes.
    The decision should be taken out of his hands by the Dr Ciaran Cosgrave.

The decision is out of Sexton's hands. Much like it was to come off the pitch in the first place.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The decision is out of Sexton's hands. Much like it was to come off the pitch in the first place.

yes. the ultimate decision of the player is to how long to continue playing for.

they alone will have an idea of how many significant cranial events that they have experienced over their career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭JPup

The doctor shouldn't be commenting publicly like that, but I hope Johnny knows what he's doing. Lots of ex players in rugby and NFL have had very serious degenerative brain issues after retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Just in terms of the top 4 selected, the 2011 RWC squad, comes to mind when we had O'Connell, O'Callaghan, Cullen and Donnacha Ryan, which looks stacked with quality in retrospect.

It’s good, not as good as now though. You could see potentially 3 Irish SR’s in the Lions in 2021 (I’m not saying they WILL but you could make a case for 3) how many of the 2011 group could you make a case for in the lions that summer or if they were to play now this summer? O’Connell and that’s probably it. You add in a great young prospect in Ryan Baird and I would say without a doubt we have a better set of SR’s now than back in 2011.

JPup wrote: »
    The doctor shouldn't be commenting publicly like that, but I hope Johnny knows what he's doing. Lots of ex players in rugby and NFL have had very serious degenerative brain issues after retiring.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2021/0210/1196340-doctor-apologises-to-sexton-for-30-concussions-claim/

"To be clear if Sexton has not suffered from a concussion for a year, that he is asymptomatic after 48 hours, that the tests carried out are good and that the return-to-play protocol has been carried out properly, then there is nothing to stop him from playing against France."

This is the part i have the problem with.
    The return to play protocols which allow 24hrs before advancing to the next stage.

The player might say he's fine. Even though he knows he is not.

The player might say he's fine. Even though he feels he's fine...But is he really?

The return to play protocols is something that has been drawn up by experts in their field.

How do they know for certain that with only the word of the player and eyes of the doctor that the brain is fine?
    How many studies on concussed people did they carry out the return to play protocols on?
    Did they live scan the brain of concussed people when carrying out this study?

I've watched Sexton for over 10 years now.
    We've all seen the hits he's taken from Basteraud etc
    And i know in my heart that it would be just plain wrong to clear the guy for Saturday.

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    It’s good, not as good as now though. You could see potentially 3 Irish SR’s in the Lions in 2021 (I’m not saying they WILL but you could make a case for 3) how many of the 2011 group could you make a case for in the lions that summer or if they were to play now this summer? O’Connell and that’s probably it. You add in a great young prospect in Ryan Baird and I would say without a doubt we have a better set of SR’s now than back in 2011.

I qualified it by saying "just in terms of the top 4" so the Baird point is outside the bounds of that. (No disagreement that we've better depth beyond our top 4 locks now than in 2011).

In the context of the point I as making with regards top 4, personally, I'd favour O'Connell, O'Callaghan, Cullen and Donnacha Ryan over James Ryan, Henderson, Beirne and Roux/Dillane but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The very fact of him discussing a former patient, and make no mistake it was a doctor-patient relationship, oversteps the mark on his own.

I don't think we should debate either whether its 3 or 30 head knocks, or anywhere in between, we have no information and no right, anymore than this doctor had a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

I qualified it by saying "just in terms of the top 4" so the Baird point is outside the bounds of that. (No disagreement that we've better depth beyond our top 4 locks now than in 2011).

In the context of the point I as making with regards top 4, personally, I'd favour O'Connell, O'Callaghan, Cullen and Donnacha Ryan over James Ryan, Henderson, Beirne and Roux/Dillane but each to their own.

That’s what nostalgia does, idk how you could possibly favor the 2011 4 but okay.

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    That’s what nostalgia does, idk how you could possibly favor the 2011 4 but okay.

And I could say that's what hubris does, but like I said, each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Whatever about the doctor talking out of turn, there is no way Sexton should be playing this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

It was kind of David Brent-esque when Sexton said this was "water off a duck's back" then spent 5 minutes angrily talking about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The very fact of him discussing a former patient, and make no mistake it was a doctor-patient relationship, oversteps the mark on his own.

I don't think we should debate either whether its 3 or 30 head knocks, or anywhere in between, we have no information and no right, anymore than this doctor had a right.

Yup. If he had referenced a previous events where Johnny went off for a HIA or something it would have been out of line but public knowledge, but bringing up actual concussions is medical information that wouldn't get released, they usually just say following return to protocols, similar to other injuries where they don't release any info just a generic statement.

And even if the doctor was just mentioning it hypothetically, the fact that he was Johnny's doctor leaves it wide open to people assuming that he would have that knowledge of his concussion history.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see reprimands for the doctor if it's investigated by the medical board.

Advertisement