Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

To put that in context, imagine a doctor came out and said Sergio Ramos had 15 minor tears in his ACL whilst under my care, whilst Ramos is looking for a contract. He'd be massively liable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It was kind of David Brent-esque when Sexton said this was "water off a duck's back" then spent 5 minutes angrily talking about it.

Thats your takeaway from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It's odd that the doctor did it, even if he escapes reprimand, no professional sports person will ever want to use him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Thats your takeaway from this?

Just a light hearted observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Rugby4568 wrote: »
    Well I’m going to prove you that I’m right when they’re not playing this weekend. I’ll also name the starting team tomorrow. I posted the starting team on the Leinster Rugby forum last week and I got it right even check.

Have you finished your homework yet?? Any sign of that team you promised us today?

• Advertisement

Have you finished your homework yet?? Any sign of that team you promised us today?

in fairness, can't post if banned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,659 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's odd that the doctor did it, even if he escapes reprimand, no professional sports person will ever want to use him again.

He's a neurologist, he won't go hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    In Ireland if we want to improve our player depth we need to move on players who clearly will never be good enough to play for Ireland or at most make a squad. Look at Munster, if Hanrahan wasn’t there we could be seeing Healy potentially being in contention for Ireland over the next 12 months and would be talking at potentially Crowley being considered in the near future.

If you look at NZL they have that perfect system (granted they don’t have the finances we have to keep players they don’t need) but if you aren’t a potential AB in the future you are moved on. We need to do that with our players unless the player makes a difference in some way shape or form, not just there to fill a jersey.
    But Munster obviously think JJ is better than Healy so why don’t Ireland think the same

Would it be worth looking at Murray at 10 and letting someone else into the scrum half position?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Would it be worth looking at Murray at 10 and letting someone else into the scrum half position?

Murray has been too poor even in his own position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

No because he isnt a 10 bar emergencies and it isnt that bad at 10 we need to move him

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Being able to kick the odd goal doesn't make you a 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭TRC10

But Munster obviously think JJ is better than Healy so why don’t Ireland think the same

If Healy got a consistent run of games at 10, hed be better than Hanrahan within 6-12 months at most. The issue is he's not getting games consistently because munster are happy with a good but nowhere near good enough to be considered for Ireland in Hanrahan. It's not always as simple as "if hes better, he'll play". Players need to develop and they develop with games, more so at 10 than any other position.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

TRC10 wrote: »
    If Healy got a consistent run of games at 10, hed be better than Hanrahan within 6-12 months at most. The issue is he's not getting games consistently because munster are happy with a good but nowhere near good enough to be considered for Ireland in Hanrahan. It's not always as simple as "if hes better, he'll play". Players need to develop and they develop with games, more so at 10 than any other position.

Healy has practically the same minutes played as JJ this season. He had one start prior to this season. He’s getting plenty of time to develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

How do you beat France at rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Score more points than them.

We are in for an awful hammering this weekend so why don’t we use it to send out an experimental side so they can gain experience at the highest level

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You take a terrible hammering in the first half, lull them into a false sense of security and then unleash everything you've got in the second half. It almost worked in 2006. They've probably forgotten it by now, so should be worth another go anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭clsmooth

We are in for an awful hammering this weekend so why don’t we use it to send out an experimental side so they can gain experience at the highest level

What are you on about an awful hammering? What’s the basis for that statement? We lost by 8 points in Paris with a weaker squad in October. And if we were in for an ‘awful hammering’, why would we put out an experimental team to be lambs to the slaughter? Do you really think that’s ‘good’ experience? Your post makes zero sense on any level.

aloooof wrote: »
    Healy has practically the same minutes played as JJ this season. He had one start prior to this season. He’s getting plenty of time to develop.

JJ gets the nod in the inter-pros and European games. JJ has started 8 games to Healy's 6. If Healy started the 2 European games and the Leinster game and played well he'd definitely be in the Ireland squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ah lads. If sexton isn’t available this weekend, it’ll be Byrne and Burns starting and subbing in one order or the other.

We, as fans, sometimes think our rhetoric about how terrible a player is, actual matters to the coaching team. It doesn’t. The management team has invested in Burns and he’ll be in the squad for the rest of the tournament, at the very least. If he plays well against France then his poor performance last week will be mostly forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I like your thinking here.
    Conor, we're looking at you as a 10.
    Luke, John, Kieran, Caolin, Craig, Jamison have at it, fight it out amongst yis for 9.
    Sorry Conor, you're not a 10, thanks, bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Kidnap Dupont.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Ah lads. If sexton isn’t available this weekend, it’ll be Byrne and Burns starting and subbing in one order or the other.

We, as fans, sometimes think our rhetoric about how terrible a player is, actual matters to the coaching team. It doesn’t. The management team has invested in Burns and he’ll be in the squad for the rest of the tournament, at the very least. If he plays well against France then his poor performance last week will be mostly forgotten.

I'd be outraged if Burns was jettisoned. His mistake at the end of the game is the kind of high profile error that a coach should be seen to be backing his player. I'd say Burns will be champing at the bit to have another crack at it and right the wrongs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Theres a blast from the past!
    Burns can't be dumped after 1 bad kick, thats completely correct....
    but it is time to bring in Byrne or Healy into the squad and let them at least get up to speed with training methods etc...
    we just can't keep saying a decade of the rosary before every game Sexton starts to make sure he gets thru at least 65 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

I wonder if France beat us will this finally be enough. I just wonder what needs to be done for change to be allowed. Is there any chance Murray can be replaced. If so I just want to know what is required. It seems no matter how rubbish he is he will not be dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    I wonder if France beat us will this finally be enough. I just wonder what needs to be done for change to be allowed. Is there any chance Murray can be replaced. If so I just want to know what is required. It seems no matter how rubbish he is he will not be dropped.

What specifically would you want changed? What specifically do you want Ireland to do? In terms of how they structure their attack etc compared to what they do know.
    Murray isnt the problem.

What specifically would you want changed? What specifically do you want Ireland to do? In terms of how they structure their attack etc compared to what they do know.
    Murray isnt the problem.

I think it's just become fashionable in recent years to single out Murray. I've watched the game twice now and I can't see this bad game everyone keeps talking about. He actually challenged the fringe defense on multiple occasions and made yards, his speed of ball was fine and his box kicking was fine. Yes JGP speeded up the game in the last 10 but that's what he's there to do off the bench. Faster does not always equal better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭ersatz

ElisaAtWar wrote: »

Ireland will go well against France, as they did against Wales, and if France bring their a game that's probably too much for us. But getting beaten by this French team won't be unexpected or represent a big crisis for Farrell and the coaches. If Ireland play really well and have a good start it's game on, France are more than capable of buckling under pressure. But I've been a lot more concerned about Scotland this year, honestly. They have put together some really good performances over the last couple of years and they are starting to achieve some consistency. They didn't make a lot of mistakes last weekend. If they can minimise the brainfarts they are dangerous and defeat to Scotland will spell trouble for the team, practically as well as psychologically.

As for Murray he is back to solid not spectacular, JGP was quicker off the ruck but he narrowed the field considerably and made a couple of noticeably poor passes. I'm not sure he was a lot different/better than Murray. Ireland play a fairly predictable game and when it's done really well it's effective. It hasn't been done really well for a couple of seasons but there were glimpses last weekend of some green shoots, which in fairness there have been in a few of Farrell's games. I liked how Henshaw was playing and I also liked some of the stuff Lowe was trying to do. There were also a few moments where we saw something other than forwards statically receiving the ball and hitting contact, Murray has the head for that if it's the tactical plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Murray isnt the problem.

There are issues in Irish rugby but Conor Murray is so blatant. People blame Sexton, but Murray shovels rubbish, provides no ideas, and Sexton gets clattered because Murray provides rubbish

Advertisement