Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I came home on the inside lane from J9 to exit at J10. I have to say the bumps around J9a are really bad for a recently resurfaced lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

By definition, commuter routes are not nationally important. The Sallins bypass is very important for Co. Kildare, but the upgrade to the M7 route is far, far more significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I came home on the inside lane from J9 to exit at J10. I have to say the bumps around J9a are really bad for a recently resurfaced lane.

Yep, the surfacing generally is very poor in many places with poor drainage being especially noticable in heavy rain.

I can't say I'm especially surprised to hear that it's been delayed yet again, nor the predictable posts about how we just don't get it etc :rolleyes:

Whoever is "managing" this project should have been fired long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

KrisW1001 wrote: »
    By definition, commuter routes are not nationally important. The Sallins bypass is very important for Co. Kildare, but the upgrade to the M7 route is far, far more significant.
    Junction 9a is an upgrade to the M7 and it’s been left unopened/incomplete for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

The only thing I'll say in defence of the delay is the current covid pandemic. It was always going to have an impact and cause a delay regardless. This doesn't excuse any delays pre-covid, but currently I don't expect much to be moved on in the short time and I don't think that's unreasonable.

Road surface and bumps in places was bad enough to be noticable mind you. Wasn't impressed by that at all, dunno why people gloss over the bumpy road in places, it's certainly noticable if paying attention considering the speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Tomrota wrote: »
    Junction 9a is an upgrade to the M7 and it’s been left unopened/incomplete for months.
    9a is not an upgrade to the M7: it's part of the Sallins bypass. And while it might help by removing some commuter traffic from M7 a little more quickly, it does not directly add any capacity to the M7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Anatom

It doesn't matter, does it? So, can we please move on?

The two projects were / are linked together - fact. The Sallins by-pass would have been knocked on again for another ten or fifteen years if they hadn't been, so that is a very good thing.

The M7 is largely finished, with the exception of the J9A mess, and - yes, its a fact - the bad finish and frankly dangerous drainage issues.

The Sallins by-pass mess is due to a number of factors which have interrupted and delayed the Sallins by-pass project, not least of which is;
    1) Incompetence and bad management from KCC. They don't seem to have any control or oversight of the project. Hands-off seems to be the tactic, unless there's a massive hue and cry from social media or someone higher up the food chain.
    2) Lack of direction (I'm supposing here) to the contractor from KCC or central authority (NTI?) - see comment above. The project seemed to waft along with little urgency. Hence what we've seen with the 9A junction. That should have been identified as a problem and been changed long before they put the tarmac down over a year ago. However, I could be wrong and this might have had something to do with the point below...
    3) Financial problems with contractor - SIAC are in serious financial trouble, and are being kept going (albeit on a shoestring) by KCC and this project. The lack of manpower on the route is ridiculous. At least with KCC when they throw people at a project, they go all-in. This, however, is just nuts.
    4) COVID-19 - losing at least nine weeks of directly being shut down last year, and God-knows how many other knock-on delays otherwise, has undoubtedly caused problems. That's not a sufficient excuse though for the overall delay.

In saying all that, I do know that it'll get there. Whenever I have walked along the route recently I have noticed tangible improvements and developments each time. The link road into Sallins is now looking more finished in the past two weeks, and you can start to see what its going to look like.

Its just like waiting for a kettle to boil. It takes ages, and can be very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

I've posted a fair few times about when I expected it to be done, as someone living in the area at this stage its kind of just *shrug* "when its done its done"

Traffic levels in the town are reduced due to COVID so its not as bad as it was, I mostly want it to be done so KCC can move on to hopefully making Sallins public realm into a haven for pedestrians and cyclists.

That's a whole new thread there..!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Anatom wrote: »
    It doesn't matter, does it? So, can we please move on?

The two projects were / are linked together - fact. The Sallins by-pass would have been knocked on again for another ten or fifteen years if they hadn't been, so that is a very good thing.

The M7 is largely finished, with the exception of the J9A mess, and - yes, its a fact - the bad finish and frankly dangerous drainage issues.

The Sallins by-pass mess is due to a number of factors which have interrupted and delayed the Sallins by-pass project, not least of which is;
    1) Incompetence and bad management from KCC. They don't seem to have any control or oversight of the project. Hands-off seems to be the tactic, unless there's a massive hue and cry from social media or someone higher up the food chain.
    2) Lack of direction (I'm supposing here) to the contractor from KCC or central authority (NTI?) - see comment above. The project seemed to waft along with little urgency. Hence what we've seen with the 9A junction. That should have been identified as a problem and been changed long before they put the tarmac down over a year ago. However, I could be wrong and this might have had something to do with the point below...
    3) Financial problems with contractor - SIAC are in serious financial trouble, and are being kept going (albeit on a shoestring) by KCC and this project. The lack of manpower on the route is ridiculous. At least with KCC when they throw people at a project, they go all-in. This, however, is just nuts.
    4) COVID-19 - losing at least nine weeks of directly being shut down last year, and God-knows how many other knock-on delays otherwise, has undoubtedly caused problems. That's not a sufficient excuse though for the overall delay

You are over-stating the contracting authorities role here. First off, they have consultants who represent them and do the design and most of the contract administration. Any design issues are almost certainly on them.

It is for the contractor to manage the construction process. If they are under-resourcing the project, there is very little the contracting authority can do only make their concerns known and remind them of their contractual obligations and implications of failing to meet them. Only if design changes happen will lack of direction come into it. It is also for the contractor to have sufficient cashflow, they are always paid in arrears for works done.

• Advertisement

There is a lot of Project Manager bashing on here in relation to this Project. Project Managers are part of a wider team and are normally responsible for cost, effort and quality of the project. No one here really knows what is going on with the overall project and the external influences such as Covid-19, changes in priorities, stakeholder management etc.
    If I were to lay just one criticism about this whole project it would be the lack of transparency and central communications to the public. The timelines outlined at the very start of this project have been initially met. Extenuating circumstances may well have played a big part in the illusion of a faltering project.
    Hurry up and get it over with!
    Slightly off topic but when the new junction opens up on the millennium ring road, it's likely NCC will be opening up shortly after and if they haven't put in a proper traffic plan for that school, it's going to be chaotic at school rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

There is a lot of Project Manager bashing on here in relation to this Project. Project Managers are part of a wider team and are normally responsible for cost, effort and quality of the project. No one here really knows what is going on with the overall project and the external influences such as Covid-19, changes in priorities, stakeholder management etc.
    If I were to lay just one criticism about this whole project it would be the lack of transparency and central communications to the public. The timelines outlined at the very start of this project have been initially met. Extenuating circumstances may well have played a big part in the illusion of a faltering project.
    Hurry up and get it over with!
    Slightly off topic but when the new junction opens up on the millennium ring road, it's likely NCC will be opening up shortly after and if they haven't put in a proper traffic plan for that school, it's going to be chaotic at school rush hour.

At this rate the school will be well up and running before the junction opens :rolleyes:

NCC will hopefully be open before Christmas this year. It won't be open in time for the new school year at the end of August, but should hopefully be ready by December. They lost a lot of construction time in an already tight schedule with the first lock-down.

The traffic piece should be ok. There'll be an increase, no doubt about it, but the way the car park / drop-off zones will work at the school should make it doable. There should be no cars seen stopping on the main ring-road, but there may be congestion on the off-shoot between that roundabout and the entrance into the school grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

Anatom wrote: »
    NCC will hopefully be open before Christmas this year. It won't be open in time for the new school year at the end of August, but should hopefully be ready by December. They lost a lot of construction time in an already tight schedule with the first lock-down.

The traffic piece should be ok. There'll be an increase, no doubt about it, but the way the car park / drop-off zones will work at the school should make it doable. There should be no cars seen stopping on the main ring-road, but there may be congestion on the off-shoot between that roundabout and the entrance into the school grounds.
    If cyclists continue to dangerously block the road while cycle tracks are provided, then I can see traffic being a real problem. Especially with the increased amount of cycling on this route when the schools open.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: Can we leave cyclists out of this thread - they are not relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

I just noticed as I travel on the new stretch daily. There is no speed signs only the ones coming off the slip roads which state 120 kph. Now the Naas road has always been 100 kph since the 3 lanes anyway. After the ball in Naas it always went up to 120 kph which obviously has stayed the same. I know most the speed limits in this Country are all over the place at best. But its a bit weird having a speed limit of 100 kph on a 3 lane motorway (naas rd) that jumps to 120 kph after ball in Naas as its the same road plus theres no signs...

Why I ask is because they always seem to have the speed van on it now outbound!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

benny79 wrote: »
    I just noticed as I travel on the new stretch daily. There is no speed signs only the ones coming off the slip roads which state 120 kph. Now the Naas road has always been 100 kph since the 3 lanes anyway. After the ball in Naas it always went up to 120 kph which obviously has stayed the same. I know most the speed limits in this Country are all over the place at best. But its a bit weird having a speed limit of 100 kph on a 3 lane motorway (naas rd) that jumps to 120 kph after ball in Naas as its the same road plus theres no signs...

The Naas Road is not a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

The Naas Road is not a motorway.

Indeed, it has many direct accesses and the junctions aren't up to spec to be classed as one.

apologises but my point was there been different speed limits on the same road lack of speed signs and the speed van been all over it.. Seems a bit unfair or not right imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

default speed on a national route is 100kmh. Should be fairly obvious its not a motorway, so assume 100kmh unless specified otherwise.

I think there are about 50 entrances/exits between Johnstown junction and Newlands cross - includes farm gates

• Advertisement

silver2020 wrote: »
    default speed on a national route is 100kmh. Should be fairly obvious its not a motorway, so assume 100kmh unless specified otherwise.

I think there are about 50 entrances/exits between Johnstown junction and Newlands cross - includes farm gates

Forget motorway. I know its not a motorway. My point was on the different limits and lack of limit /speed signs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Forget motorway. I know its not a motorway. My point was on the different limits and lack of limit /speed signs

Its 100kmh from Newlands to start of M7 at all points and there are signs at every entry point. There are no sections under 100kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

apologises but my point was there been different speed limits on the same road lack of speed signs and the speed van been all over it.. Seems a bit unfair or not right imo.

I use the N/M 7 every working day as far south as J10. I have never seen a speed van on the M7. Yes the N 7 sure but as long as You are adhering to the 100kph speed You have nothing to fear. Once over the flyover at Newlands X ( I think it's only 80kph from the M50 to after the flyover ) the speed limit doesn't fluctuate from there on as far as the Ball, when it increases to 120.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

I think the post above has been mis interpreted. The poster is saying that there are a lack of signs confirming the speed limit and mentions that on the transition from N7 to M7 there is no 120kph sign (been a while since I travelled it so I don’t know). I do think it’s a fair point though that the speed limit is not posted a few times along the route to remind people.

BuzzFish wrote: »
    I think the post above has been mis interpreted. The poster is saying that there are a lack of signs confirming the speed limit and mentions that on the transition from N7 to M7 there is no 120kph sign (been a while since I travelled it so I don’t know). I do think it’s a fair point though that the speed limit is not posted a few times along the route to remind people.
    As the government have abandoned the NSL, there is a need to place signs at regular intervals on all roads, as opposed to only those where the limit is different to the NSL.

Exactly and that transition is basically a longer stretch of the N7 now even though its M7

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There's 120 signs just after the Naas exit (9) outbound. Also on the parallel on-ramp

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

I use the N/M 7 every working day as far south as J10. I have never seen a speed van on the M7. Yes the N 7 sure but as long as You are adhering to the 100kph speed You have nothing to fear. Once over the flyover at Newlands X ( I think it's only 80kph from the M50 to after the flyover ) the speed limit doesn't fluctuate from there on as far as the Ball, when it increases to 120.

I've seen them twice in recent weeks southbound before the new exit for Sallins.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

There is one 120 sign on the left hand side before the Round Ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FluffPiece

Had to travel on it yesterday to Dublin for appointment and saw plenty of signs along the N7 to remind people that it was 100kph. That with the non motorway standard exits / entrances, you'd be hard pressed to not know it wasn't a motorway.

Did see a Garda car in the designated Garda slip section not far from Kill, on the Dublin bound side.

Advertisement