Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Roscrea was surveyed in October November but still no updates on the website as to likely rollout timelines. I asked NBI how often the website was updated, once a quarter, once a region is completed or what and they said they didn't know...

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    Roscrea was surveyed in October November but still no updates on the website as to likely rollout timelines. I asked NBI how often the website was updated, once a quarter, once a region is completed or what and they said they didn't know...

Carbon copy here. Surveyed start of Nov. Asked nbi very same question and got very same answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Ok finally got fibre sorted. KN guys called Monday to run the cable from pole and fit the ONT in the house. Asked did I have the router! It should have been sent out! Anyway it arrived today, praise jebus!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

NBI are targeting 70000 premises passed by the end of the year. If your area is not on the rollout page it is probably safe to assume you will not be passed in 2021.

I've been toying with posting the following table. I believe it includes the next 45 or so areas due to be built after the 24 currently on the NBI site. However I cannot be sure it is accurate. It does tally with some of the surveying information released by NBI. I don't have specific timelines for these areas.

Adare Limerick
    Athenry Galway
    Athlone Westmeath
    Ballina Mayo
    Ballinasloe Galway
    Ballycarney Wexford
    Ballydavid Kerry
    Ballyheigue Kerry
    Ballylinan Laois
    Blessington Wicklow
    Borris Carlow
    Carlow Carlow
    Carrickmacross Monaghan
    Carrick-On-Shannon Leitrim
    Carrick-On-Suir Waterford
    Carrigaline Cork
    Cashel Tipperary
    Castlebar Mayo
    Castlegarron Sligo
    Castlegregory Kerry
    Castlerea Roscommon
    Cavan Cavan
    Clones Monaghan
    Clonmel Tipperary
    Cork-Mahon Cork
    Creeslough Donegal
    Curragh Camp Kildare
    Delvin Westmeath
    Drogheda Louth
    Dunboyne/Clonee Meath
    Dundalk Louth
    Emyvale Monaghan
    Enniskerry Wicklow
    Galway Galway
    Gort Galway
    Inverin Galway
    Johnstown Kilkenny
    Kilcoole Wicklow
    Kilgarvan Kerry
    Kilkenny Kilkenny
    Kilkishen Clare
    Killadoon Mayo
    Killarney Kerry
    Letterkenny Donegal
    Limerick Limerick
    Longford Longford
    Loughrea Galway
    Lusk Dublin
    Midleton Cork
    Monaghan Monaghan
    Mountrath Laois
    Mullingar Westmeath
    Navan Meath
    Portlaoise Laois
    Rathmore Kerry
    Redcross Wicklow
    Riverstown Rvn Louth
    Roscommon Roscommon
    Roscrea Tipperary
    Skerries Dublin
    Sligo Sligo
    Templemartin Cork
    Tipperary Tipperary
    Tomhaggard Wexford
    Tralee Kerry
    Valentia Island Kerry
    Waterford Waterford
    Wexford Wexford
    Youghal Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭baz9375

marvsins wrote: »
    Ok finally got fibre sorted. KN guys called Monday to run the cable from pole and fit the ONT in the house. Asked did I have the router! It should have been sent out! Anyway it arrived today, praise jebus!

KN or NBI?

Any photos of the install? just wondering about the ONT, it looks quite large in the one picture I've seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

baz9375 wrote: »
    KN or NBI?

Any photos of the install? just wondering about the ONT, it looks quite large in the one picture I've seen.

NBI will just sub-contract the installations to KN or Actavo or whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭baz9375

NBAiii wrote: »
    NBI will just sub-contract the installations to KN or Actavo or whoever.

Good to know. Thanks again NBAiii

baz9375 wrote: »
    KN or NBI?

Not too big, maybe 9"×6"×2".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Does anyone have a link to the map one of the folk posting in this thread created? It had a list of all the Deployment Areas and OLT locations and I cant seem to find it now.

EDIT: Found it

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭trant

Do you know if it has a built-in battery backup?
    Not too big, maybe 9"×6"×2".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

ED E wrote: »
    Mine gives more.

Bizzarely includes a facebook URL for the hosting building of the BCP. There's also no way that this BCP would ever serve me, clearly doing as the crow flies with no limiter.

This includes closest BCP's although I didn't include in the screenshot :pac:

QZZooqD.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭clohamon

joe123 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to the map one of the folk posting in this thread created? It had a list of all the Deployment Areas and OLT locations and I cant seem to find it now.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1h1fSHXa6-cHDuEvBb52AupxYBQnNRtbq&ll=53.557077720061805%2C-7.982814352341174&z=7

NBAiii wrote: »
    NBI are targeting 70000 premises passed by the end of the year. If your area is not on the rollout page it is probably safe to assume you will not be passed in 2021.

I've been toying with posting the following table. I believe it includes the next 45 or so areas due to be built after the 24 currently on the NBI site. However I cannot be sure it is accurate. It does tally with some of the surveying information released by NBI. I don't have specific timelines for these areas.

Adare Limerick
    Athenry Galway
    Athlone Westmeath
    Ballina Mayo
    Ballinasloe Galway
    Ballycarney Wexford
    Ballydavid Kerry
    Ballyheigue Kerry
    Ballylinan Laois
    Blessington Wicklow
    Borris Carlow
    Carlow Carlow
    Carrickmacross Monaghan
    Carrick-On-Shannon Leitrim
    Carrick-On-Suir Waterford
    Carrigaline Cork
    Cashel Tipperary
    Castlebar Mayo
    Castlegarron Sligo
    Castlegregory Kerry
    Castlerea Roscommon
    Cavan Cavan
    Clones Monaghan
    Clonmel Tipperary
    Cork-Mahon Cork
    Creeslough Donegal
    Curragh Camp Kildare
    Delvin Westmeath
    Drogheda Louth
    Dunboyne/Clonee Meath
    Dundalk Louth
    Emyvale Monaghan
    Enniskerry Wicklow
    Galway Galway
    Gort Galway
    Inverin Galway
    Johnstown Kilkenny
    Kilcoole Wicklow
    Kilgarvan Kerry
    Kilkenny Kilkenny
    Kilkishen Clare
    Killadoon Mayo
    Killarney Kerry
    Letterkenny Donegal
    Limerick Limerick
    Longford Longford
    Loughrea Galway
    Lusk Dublin
    Midleton Cork
    Monaghan Monaghan
    Mountrath Laois
    Mullingar Westmeath
    Navan Meath
    Portlaoise Laois
    Rathmore Kerry
    Redcross Wicklow
    Riverstown Rvn Louth
    Roscommon Roscommon
    Roscrea Tipperary
    Skerries Dublin
    Sligo Sligo
    Templemartin Cork
    Tipperary Tipperary
    Tomhaggard Wexford
    Tralee Kerry
    Valentia Island Kerry
    Waterford Waterford
    Wexford Wexford
    Youghal Cork
    clohamon wrote: »

So on the NBI website it states a radius of Appx 26km. If NBAiiii next rollout list proves to be accurate, my mothers house would fall into one of the Deployment areas listed as she is ~14km away from it.

My question is though, There are also two other OLT locations near her with roughly the same distance (although not listed in the next rollout)

Any idea how this would be determined if OLT's overlap?

trant wrote: »

Don't think so. This from NBI site.

Speedtest from the phone. 2 metres from router.

joe123 wrote: »

My question is though, There are also two other OLT locations near her with roughly the same distance (although not listed in the next rollout)

Any idea how this would be determined if OLT's overlap?

I can only speak for the map, which, as before, is only a digital tracing of the pdf in the contract.

Judging from the townlands published quite a few of the OLT areas on the map are quite close eg cavan, castlebar, kilcoole, but some others ,eg carlow ballinasloe, killarney seem to have been changed since November 2019 - the date of the pdf.

There are some OLTs with overlapping townlands eg Tralee and Killarney, but it's hard to tell if it's a mistake or just because the OLT boundary cuts through the townlands.

I suspect the reasons an OLT has any specific boundary include a lot of factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Speedtest from the phone. 2 metres from router.
    Is that a 500mb package?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

https://nbi.ie/OLTLOCATIONHERE-townlands/ Not sure if it was mentioned here before but you can see a (not exhaustive) list of towns lands attached to different OLT locations by using this format even those that haven't been surveyed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

daraghwal wrote: »
    https://nbi.ie/OLTLOCATIONHERE-townlands/ Not sure if it was mentioned here before but you can see a (not exhaustive) list of towns lands attached to different OLT locations by using this format even those that haven't been surveyed yet.

Holy sweet divine. That gives a huge list of townlands for my OLT. I might see if I can find the furthest point from the OLT.

I'm <7km by road from it (and it would be my local exchange in a POTS scenario), so fingers crossed that works in my favour when they get working on it (which likely won'y be for a while).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Pique wrote: »
    How does this affect end users? Presumably it allows ISPs to pass on these offers to those who sign up early?

Incentives for both the subscriber and ISP, this from the promotion document
    This promotion is provided to RSPs/WSPs strictly on the basis that a connection fee will not be charged to end users and also that there is service rental* incentive passed onto the end user

*Service rental incentive does not have to constitute free rental for the End User, rather RSPs should use reasonable endeavors to pass cost savings to End Users
    Pique wrote: »
    Also, what's the difference between Bitstream and VUA?

Someone here may be able to give a more technical explaination but my understanding is they refer to where NBI interconnects with the retail service providers network, regional point of handover or national point of handover.

All end users are connected to one of 227 OLTs, these OLTs are co-located or connected to one of 33 regional points of handover (PoH), where a retail service provider interconnects at one of these regional PoH is reffered to as a VUA interconnect. This I assume would be the choice of an ISP that may not want to provide a nationwide service.

ISPs like eir, Sky, Vodafone etc., who will want to provide their service nationwide, will interconnect with NBI's network at 2 national PoH in Dublin (Citywest and Kilcarbery), rather than having interconnect equipment at each of the 33 individual regional PoH. The Dublin PoH are connected to the regional PoH via NBI's Bitstream backhaul network.

The wholesale retail price per end user is a few euro extra per month for the bitstream/national PoH product

National PoH
    500 Mbit/s €29.49
    1000 Mbit/s €34.49

Regional PoH
    500 Mbit/s €26.00
    1000 Mbit/s €31.00

Interconnect is charged separately

• Advertisement

trant wrote: »

No, there is an option of an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) from NBI via your RSP

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115644016

Did you pay a connection charge or was it free as per the promotion?
    Monthly rental, free/reduced or full?

https://nbi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/NBI-Published-Promotions-v1.5-Clean.pdf
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116171948#post116171948
    This promotion is provided to RSPs/WSPs strictly on the basis that a connection fee will not be charged to end users and also that there is service rental* incentive passed onto the end user

*Service rental incentive does not have to constitute free rental for the End User, rather RSPs should use reasonable endeavors to pass cost savings to End Users

Is that a 500mb package?

Yes.

@The Cush. I'm part of Sky NBI trial. For the fibre connection and service there is no cost for me but I do have to keep my bb package as part of it.

https://nbi.ie/OLTLOCATIONHERE-townlands/ appears to be the initial list of townlands to be connected before survey (not complete)

https://nbi.ie/OLTLOCATIONHERE-townland/ appears to be the finalised list of townlands to be connected after survey and low-level design

Example
    - https://nbi.ie/limerick-townlands/
    - https://nbi.ie/limerick-townland/

I'm in DA51 with 2 OLTs, Ogonnelloe & Newport (TY).
    https://nbi.ie/newport-ty-townlands/
    https://nbi.ie/ogonnelloe-townlands/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

@The Cush. I'm part of Sky NBI trial. For the fibre connection and service there is no cost for me but I do have to keep my bb package as part of it.

You are with Sky over NBI? Thanks for sharing your experience here on the forum, alot of us understandably are very excited about this and some would have doubted if we'd ever see this day. Do you have a Landline service from OpenEIR, presumably before getting fibre you may or may not have had ADSL a slower outdated system of broadband or maybe were reliant on some wireless alternative.

I'm curious to how voice telephony works now with the fibre and with internal EIR wiring etc. I have a cousin who got EIR's FTTH and he has both copper and Fibre in his home with the copper system still in use for Landline PSTN and the Fibre for the internet. I'm thinking with the USO up in June for EIR if we might see the gradual decommissioning of copper.

theguzman wrote: »
    I'm thinking with the USO up in June for EIR if we might see the gradual decommissioning of copper.

Comreg consulation due soon on the USO - https://www.comreg.ie/publication-download/universal-service-access-at-a-fixed-location

The Cush wrote: »

Should be interesting. Very little time to appoint a new USP (if any) by June and Eircom are still in court over all the money they think they're owed between 2010 and 2015.

Next instalment on 11th Feb
    EIRCOM LIMITED -V- COMMISSION FOR COMMUNICATIONS REGULATION 2019/167 MCA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Don't think so. This from NBI site.

I must say it is fantastic that NBI are 100% future proofing the ONT. 10Gbps is absolutely excellent. Nice to see this type of thinking in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Great spot this. And like above, my olt list is massive.

Makes me wonder why they don't have this info readily available. Would help clear up a lot of confusion.

These are the OLT locations and if you click here you can find what town lands are covered. They could then state "work has begun for X olt and we have begun surveying X Townlands covered by this Olt".

If they wanted to be even more transparent, they could provide a list of estimated dates when work will begin on each OLT eg Q3 2022, Q1 2023 and so on. Maybe im being overly basic but I'm right in assuming that they complete each OLT fully before moving on to the next?

Advertisement