Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

Garfin wrote: »
    How do you find out if your house has been surveyed?
    Do they contact you or do you contact them if you're interested?
    We dont have a phone line or poles near us, nearest pole is about 400 metres away.
    By the eircode checker we are in the intervention area,

Network Build in Progress

Your premises is in the Intervention Area. We are actively working in your area to deliver high speed fibre broadband! It is anticipated that high speed fibre broadband will be available in your area within the date range below.*

Date:May 2021 - July 2021

If your Eircode says Network Build in Progress then you were surveyed months ago. Surveying is the first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭clohamon

TheBody wrote: »
    We (Co. Longford) were surveyed late last August but it still says pending survey on the nbi website.

I e-mail nbi to see if there is an update on when we will be connected. They replied and said it should be available by the end of March 2021.

I hope it’s accurate but there is no sign of any action on the ground. It’s odd that there is no mention of this anywhere on their site either. I have my doubts.

Entegro were linked to the surveying, but there isn't much on their website either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

TheBody wrote: »
    We (Co. Longford) were surveyed late last August but it still says pending survey on the nbi website.

I e-mail nbi to see if there is an update on when we will be connected. They replied and said it should be available by the end of March 2021.

I'm in Roscommon and was surveyed in June 2020.
    NBI eircode checker still has me pencilled in for connection in Aug-Oct 2021.

Surveyed in August 2020 and connected in March 2021 seems optimistic to me, but lucky you if it works out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cable being run on the road outside my house in Rochestown, Cork today. We’re down for Dec 2020 to Feb 2021 so not long to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Any update or idea when surveys in the west of Galway will be carried out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Pique wrote: »
    I'm in Roscommon and was surveyed in June 2020.
    NBI eircode checker still has me pencilled in for connection in Aug-Oct 2021.

Surveyed in August 2020 and connected in March 2021 seems optimistic to me, but lucky you if it works out that way.

Surveyed start Nov. Site still saying site pending survey. I'd be very surprised if website wasnt updated before you get it tbh. Wish they would update it more frequently though

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

Trees being cut on behalf of NBI between Castlemartyr and Killeagh Co. Cork. Checked a few eircodes in the area it says Surveying underway.
    Fibre available DEC 2021 - MAY 2022

This new NBI (™) network is now available in Cavan and the surrounding townlands, including Killykeen, Carrickane and Drumcor.

http://www.cavancoco.ie/file/news/Miscellaneous/Cavan_NBI_Leaflet.pdf
    https://twitter.com/cavancoco/status/1357058826021797889

The more I read this tweet the more unbelievable it seems.
    There's about another 10 OLTs in or bordering Cavan County, none of which are on the list. They seem to be suggesting that they'll all be cabled up and ready by April.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭baz9375

clohamon wrote: »

There's about another 10 OLTs in or bordering Cavan County, none of which are on the list. They seem to be suggesting that they'll all be cabled up and ready by April.

Yeah I think they need to edit that tweet alright :-)

The news update on the NBI website say it’s the initial 3738 premises out of the total 16242 Cavan premises that should be live by April.

‘NBI currently has construction underway to bring fibre connections to 3,738 premises in Cavan, which is the final phase of delivering the network before connections are possible. These premises will gradually become available for connection over the coming months and are all expected to be able to place orders by the end of April.’

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

clohamon wrote: »

I guess it is a reasonable objective, focus an army of men into one spot and clear it off the list, locally at the moment there is one hotel which had 20-30 NBI van accommodated which would upwards to 70 men. Concentrate resources and blitz an area making the work less arduous and safer than a crew of two to do one road over a week when 20 men might do it in a day. This is only surveying but I'm hopeful the same scale of manpower will be deployed in the rollout, although alot of the roll-out will be subbed out I guess. Why not import a few hundred men from Europe and speed up the rollout, the five year timeline could easily be cutdown only deploy extra boots on the ground. Lets imagine it will take 100million manhours or whatever then having more men to complete the task in less time is the obvious choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Eir have been very active in Ballyneety this week including working on a Sunday. Would they be doing anything on NBIs behalf or is it a case that since NBI have become active in the area Eir have suddenly followed suit?

anyone any idea how long it is from cable run to connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭baz9375

Cloverhill, Co.Cavan. Still waiting to go live - Eircode checker is for February to April 2021.

Cable was hung on 17/12/20 and DPs installed 20/01/21. I'll update once I have go live date confirmed.

baz9375 wrote: »
    Cloverhill, Co.Cavan. Still waiting to go live - Eircode checker is for February to April 2021.

Cable was hung on 17/12/20 and DPs installed 20/01/21. I'll update once I have go live date confirmed.
    We're Dec 2020 to Feb 2021 so assume once they finish installing cable today the DPs will go up instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Any update or idea when surveys in the west of Galway will be carried out?

Radio Silence for a lot of Galway outside of the initial works.

I'm North Galway and have been on to numerous people since last year trying to get an estimated survey date never mind rollout.

Closest I got was through a friend of a friend who knows someone within NBI and they suggested that its likely Year 5 of the rollout.

Update to this, we’re down as Dec 2020 to Feb 2021 but one of the workers just said could be April... what is going on with the rollout in Carrigaline?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

No point using the rollout map if that's where you are getting your timeline from. My ISP contacted me saying the network will be finished around March-April, but connections to it will take another few weeks, hence the delay. Pain in the arse but like other posters have said, we'll have it in a few months while they wait years!

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭baron von something

I live in the centre of one of the biggest towns in the country and it'll be Oct 21 before they get down my way.

TheSegal wrote: »
    No point using the rollout map if that's where you are getting your timeline from. My ISP contacted me saying the network will be finished around March-April, but connections to it will take another few weeks, hence the delay. Pain in the arse but like other posters have said, we'll have it in a few months while they wait years!
    Was told by Digiweb February too.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

Was told by Digiweb February too.

I said last week that NBI had posted revised timelimes on their rollout page. Carrigaline was pushed back by three months, Galway by five months, which would tally with the April date you were given.

It is quite obvious they are behind schedule in certain areas, which is probably understandable given the current situation we find ourselves in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Update to this, we’re down as Dec 2020 to Feb 2021 but one of the workers just said could be April... what is going on with the rollout in Carrigaline?

I’m in Rathanker and was pushed back to Dec 21-May 22 back in Novemeber from the original Dec 20-Feb 21, yet a month later they added the townlands to the rollout plan and Rathanker is listed as being in the Carrigaline deployment area with the network build in progress. Any time I contact NBI they have no idea what’s going on and just give generic answers :rolleyes:

The only rollout in Cork in Dec 21-May 22 is Midleton, I have no idea how it makes any sense for them to be back and forth across the harbour!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭trant

Still waiting for DCCAE to formally review our property that is in an intervention area but the only property excluded on our road. Area due to go live September - December 2021. South County Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

found an api and put someone's eircode in from the map that's available to connect.

mt5tWlR.png

doesn't give any extra info other than the map does I think. https://premises-api.nbi.ie/ext/premises/EIRCODE

the eircode has to be in capitals for letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

theguzman wrote: »
    I guess it is a reasonable objective, focus an army of men into one spot and clear it off the list, locally at the moment there is one hotel which had 20-30 NBI van accommodated which would upwards to 70 men. Concentrate resources and blitz an area making the work less arduous and safer than a crew of two to do one road over a week when 20 men might do it in a day. This is only surveying but I'm hopeful the same scale of manpower will be deployed in the rollout, although alot of the roll-out will be subbed out I guess. Why not import a few hundred men from Europe and speed up the rollout, the five year timeline could easily be cutdown only deploy extra boots on the ground. Lets imagine it will take 100million manhours or whatever then having more men to complete the task in less time is the obvious choice.

One of the reasons for delays so far the covid work restrictions. Jobs that normally had gangs doing are restricted to one or 2 at a time. Particularly manhole, chamber, duct pulling and repair etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

NBAiii wrote: »
    I said last week that NBI had posted revised timelimes on their rollout page. Carrigaline was pushed back by three months, Galway by five months, which would tally with the April date you were given.

It is quite obvious they are behind schedule in certain areas, which is probably understandable given the current situation we find ourselves in.

I see NBI have extended their wholesale soft launch promotion, free connection and service rental on all orders placed within the Technical Production Testing event, from the end of Jan to the end of April. They have also removed the promotion's 20 order restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

The Cush wrote: »
    I see NBI have extended their wholesale soft launch promotion, free connection and service rental on all orders placed within the Technical Production Testing event, from the end of Jan to the end of April. They have also removed the promotion's 20 order restriction.

How does this affect end users? Presumably it allows ISPs to pass on these offers to those who sign up early?

Also, what's the difference between Bitstream and VUA?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Anyway of knowing a rough estimate for rural places like Killavullen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Hedge cutters in action near Monard just outside Tipperary Town today with NBI branding. Thankfully no schedule slippage yet (Sept-Nov 21), but I suspect there might be as the year goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

GavoTrav wrote: »
    found an api and put someone's eircode in from the map that's available to connect.

mt5tWlR.png

doesn't give any extra info other than the map does I think. https://premises-api.nbi.ie/ext/premises/EIRCODE

the eircode has to be in capitals for letters.

Mine gives more.
    closestBcps":[{"bcpName":"REDACT","bcpClass":"","bcpType":"BCP","status":"Connected","county":"DUBLIN","comment":"

Bizzarely includes a facebook URL for the hosting building of the BCP. There's also no way that this BCP would ever serve me, clearly doing as the crow flies with no limiter.

• Advertisement

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    Anyway of knowing a rough estimate for rural places like Killavullen?

Nothing seen for Killavullen, but the following OLTs have had survey notifications in their vicinity but are not on the list yet.

rathmore, kerry
    ballycarney, wexford
    riverstown, sligo
    borris, carlow
    johnstown, kilkenny
    cashel, tipperary
    adare, limerick
    ballylinan, laois
    redcross, wicklow
    clones, monaghan
    letterkenny, donegal
    dunboyne/clonee, dublin