Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

See the same here, August to October 2021, Surveying Underway status on nbi.ie, but wouldn't expect it to be updated already.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

The wrap of cable around the pole outside has a yellow sticker on it with NBI/RCM/****/****. Just for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭baz9375

Cloverhill, Co.Cavan. Secto/NBI crew back today and installing additional DPs - looks there’s one DP for every two houses on our road now.

Neighbour got to speak to them and they said we’re looking at go live date of about 2 - 3 weeks.

That brings us into March which is in line with the Feb-April date on the NBI Eircode checker.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

ArrBee wrote: »
    If I have this right....
    The Rollout Area map shows "DA49" in pink, which is actually Rollout Area 49.
    Using the townlands link I found I am to be off Deployment Area 79.

Using the google map of estimated DAs I think there are 3 DAs in RA49. Mine is the only DA below 88.

I think there was a comment earlier that for business reasons, an RA would likely be completed in full before moving on to another RA.
    But another comment was that DAs 0-88 might be tackled earlier as lower hanging fruit.

would that mean that DAs above 88 will be built out as part of green or lilac RAs, do you think?
    I wonder how many DAs above 88 the green and lilac Rollout Areas contain...

If the list that I posted is correct that would make the assertion that 1-88 being built first wrong. The list contains 26 areas numbered above 88. These are areas that will use Openeir exchange buildings as the OLT location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Good news for me... they put the DP point on the pole outside my new house today. All I have to now is the small matter of finish building the house. Should be in for the summer and its a great peace of mind that I will have FTTH when I move in. I have about €1000 of Unifi access points, poe switches and a Dream Machine Pro sitting in boxes in the corner of my bedroom just waiting to be installed. I cannot wait.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The wrap of cable around the pole outside has a yellow sticker on it with NBI/RCM/****/****. Just for info.

That's a sub-duct through which the fibre will run.

These went up all around the Ballinasloe deployment areas today.....

542788.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Still no reply from NBI on whether several hundred premises, if not close to a thousand, have been moved from the Carrigaline to the Midleton deployment areas. Townlands still showing up under Carrigaline on the map but network not being built for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

baz9375 wrote: »
    Cloverhill, Co.Cavan. Secto/NBI crew back today and installing additional DPs - looks there’s one DP for every two houses on our road now.

Neighbour got to speak to them and they said we’re looking at go live date of about 2 - 3 weeks.

That brings us into March which is in line with the Feb-April date on the NBI Eircode checker.

why would they have a DP for every two houses, surely one DP could serve up-to min four houses, believe eir rural boxes can serve 4-8 houses with eir IFN upto twelve houses per dp?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭baz9375

BArra wrote: »
    why would they have a DP for every two houses, surely one DP could serve up-to min four houses, believe eir rural boxes can serve 4-8 houses with eir IFN upto twelve houses per dp?

I have no idea...there’s six houses on our road, 4 on one side and 2 on the other. There was one DP installed at the end of the road weeks ago and today they added two more

BArra wrote: »

Not every box or enclosure on a pole will be used as a distribution point for premises. Where an underground cable transitions to an overhead cable there will be an enclosure to house the fusion spliced cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Good news for me... they put the DP point on the pole outside my new house today. All I have to now is the small matter of finish building the house. Should be in for the summer and its a great peace of mind that I will have FTTH when I move in. I have about €1000 of Unifi access points, poe switches and a Dream Machine Pro sitting in boxes in the corner of my bedroom just waiting to be installed. I cannot wait.

Jeeze it really is all falling into place for me.... just got my Eircode for my new house this morning so I should be able to order it as well now. Although my new Eircode is not on the NBI database yet.

On another note eircode spelt the name of my house wrong :( I sent them the correct spelling at least so its not my error..

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Jeeze it really is all falling into place for me.... just got my Eircode for my new house this morning so I should be able to order it as well now. Although my new Eircode is not on the NBI database yet.

On another note eircode spelt the name of my house wrong :( I sent them the correct spelling at least so its not my error..

I'm two years in my house and the eircode still doesn't show on lots of databases. Took NBI months to show and can be hit or miss. I usually stick in my neighbours eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tedder

Any idea what the timeline is like from DP installation on my telephone pole to live service? Like is there a maximum of a couple weeks or can it take months in some cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

tedder wrote: »
    Any idea what the timeline is like from DP installation on my telephone pole to live service? Like is there a maximum of a couple weeks or can it take months in some cases?

Months in my case anyway. The DP and cable were run in around October and we have a go live date of 1st March on NBI. it used to be Dec-Feb but now a single date.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Just got a phone call from Digiweb. Despite the workers on the road saying end of March for connection we're down for installation end of February to early March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Ok, so NBI were working on our road the other day, and I didn't bother them, but wish to feck I had now, they havnt been back for me to ask a few questions.

Anyway, the road is a boreen, with 5 houses over a 1 mile stretch, and we are about 1 mile from where eir stoped their fibre run.

So being a nosey fecker, I went down this evening to see what NBI done as to me it looked like they were pulling cable the other day.

Anyway (phone camera is broken so can't give photos), I can't figure out what they are doing. Basically there is a new cable comming up from the ground, shielded by a galvanise cable.protextor, and goes about 2m up the pole.

That's it, nothing else, but where would the cable be going underground, we don't have any ducting on the road , it's just a boreen with a ditch and a few telephone poles !

And it's not to feed a house, that pole is nowhere near any of the houses .

Ok, so NBI were working on our road the other day, and I didn't bother them, but wish to feck I had now, they havnt been back for me to ask a few questions.

Anyway, the road is a boreen, with 5 houses over a 1 mile stretch, and we are about 1 mile from where eir stoped their fibre run.

So being a nosey fecker, I went down this evening to see what NBI done as to me it looked like they were pulling cable the other day.

Anyway (phone camera is broken so can't give photos), I can't figure out what they are doing. Basically there is a new cable comming up from the ground, shielded by a galvanise cable.protextor, and goes about 2m up the pole.

That's it, nothing else, but where would the cable be going underground, we don't have any ducting on the road , it's just a boreen with a ditch and a few telephone poles !

And it's not to feed a house, that pole is nowhere near any of the houses .

The fact that there is a galvaised cover pretty much guarantees that there is a duct there. There is underground ducting in the oddest and most rural of places. It may be buried there for years and you would never know.

If you want to PM me coordinates of the pole or an Eircode of the nearest premises I can check on the duct maps to see if it is there and give you an idea of what is going on with the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Mentioned a while back that they installed the box on the pole 2 houses down from us, originally date was january to march, but that changed to may to July, just noticed today it's not on our road but the main road nbi put up signs saying highspeed broadband on the way or something like that, I suppose no chance we could get it earlier than that date?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

That sign other people have posted about "High Speed Broadband is coming to your area" was put up today across from a pub called the Cats Cradle just before Ballyneety in Limerick on the R512.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

NBAiii wrote: »
    The fact that there is a galvaised cover pretty much guarantees that there is a duct there. There is underground ducting in the oddest and most rural of places. It may be buried there for years and you would never know.

If you want to PM me coordinates of the pole or an Eircode of the nearest premises I can check on the duct maps to see if it is there and give you an idea of what is going on with the cable.

Thanks nbaii, will pm you now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

All of the DPs have been hung up on our road now, got a stretch of road about 500m done in an afternoon. Unfortunately i'm moving from here to a place that doesn't seem to have any sign of fiber for a while but at least my brother can benefit from fiber here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Just saw this

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1359804648874467328

Sort of relevant here I guess. Assume this will cover any house that is connected to FTTC. Wonder would it also include houses not connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

joe123 wrote: »
    Just saw this

Sort of relevant here I guess. Assume this will cover any house that is connected to FTTC. Wonder would it also include houses not connected?

is this because copper is basically dead as a transmission medium and if they have to replace the network its going to be with fibre anyway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Just saw this

Or will it take houses towards the end of the NBI rollout in those counties

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cregmon

Very good webinar this morning from Connected Ireland forum, hosted by Total Telecom & Nokia.

Peter Hendrick gave a an overview of their design & build process as well as a quick progress update (see attached image NBI Progress.PNG).

Also a good analysis from Sky's Kevin Barrins on efficient investment and how public bodies need to work together with enterprise to avoid unnecessary duplication or complication such as two operators building fibre infrastructure in same areas. He also vigorously pointed out the difficulties facing operators with existing infra, e.g. FTTC currently provides largest share of return, and the risks associated with burdening existing customer base to finance new FTTH builds. The risk may be compounded if the planned public investment claws back the equivalent private investment - it will just be added to subscriber's bills.

The main gist of the discussion was that a near 100% fibre coverage won't seem excessive over time but it's key to balance both the public & private concerns (regulatory, finance, use cases, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭clohamon

Just saw this

It's the second anniversary of the announcement of the IFN. If anything it looks like they're scaling back the original ambition from 2019 for “180 towns and cities” “over five years” ? (2019-02-11)
    https://www.eir.ie/pressroom/eir-launches-0.5-billion-fixed-network-investment-programme/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Orebro

cregmon wrote: »
    Very good webinar this morning from Connected Ireland forum, hosted by Total Telecom & Nokia.

Peter Hendrick gave a an overview of their design & build process as well as a quick progress update (see attached image NBI Progress.PNG).

Also a good analysis from Sky's Kevin Barrins on efficient investment and how public bodies need to work together with enterprise to avoid unnecessary duplication or complication such as two operators building fibre infrastructure in same areas. He also vigorously pointed out the difficulties facing operators with existing infra, e.g. FTTC currently provides largest share of return, and the risks associated with burdening existing customer base to finance new FTTH builds. The risk may be compounded if the planned public investment claws back the equivalent private investment - it will just be added to subscriber's bills.

The main gist of the discussion was that a near 100% fibre coverage won't seem excessive over time but it's key to balance both the public & private concerns (regulatory, finance, use cases, etc).

Can anyone identify the Red OLT area under survey in Cork in that picture - looks like Templemartin to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

Orebro wrote: »
    Can anyone identify the Red OLT area under survey in Cork in that picture - looks like Templemartin to me?

Yeah, looks like it. I wouldn't have too much faith in the accuracy of that map though. My OLT area is marked red, but I'm pretty sure we're not scheduled for survey yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Orebro

But wasn’t the image from Peter Hendrick? Surely it means that even if they’re not being actively surveyed yet they are next in line so to speak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

Orebro wrote: »
    But wasn’t the image from Peter Hendrick? Surely it means that even if they’re not being actively surveyed yet they are next in line so to speak?

Haha! Yeah, that was my initial thought too when I saw the red, so fingers crossed. For now though, I'm trying to manage expectations. :D

Advertisement