Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

trant wrote: »
    Eircode checker says "not in intervention area". All other houses in the same area, served by the same ISPs and with the same availability are included in the intervention area.

There appears to be errors with properties missed, it was recommended on here very recently to contact NBI and/or the Dept of Communications to see if you think your property should have been included in the IA.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭trant

Thanks, I am in contact with both. Hopefully it’s an error and that it can be corrected before it’s too late as they are currently laying fibre and cutting trees.

I appreciate your reply!
    The Cush wrote: »
    There appears to be errors with properties missed, it was recommended on here very recently to contact NBI and/or the Dept of Communications to see if you think your property should have been included in the IA.

trant wrote: »
    Thanks, I am in contact with both. Hopefully it’s an error and that it can be corrected before it’s too late as they are currently laying fibre and cutting trees.

I appreciate your reply!

Good luck.

I know of one house in my area, also in a cul-de-sac, surrounded by commercial forest , copper line outside, 5 kms from the local exchange, no other option for hi-speed broadband, house next door in the IA as are the other 15 houses on the road and yet this house is outside the IA.

outside-IA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Would anyone have a photo of the boxes that are are hung on the polls by NBI? We were just outside the Eir rollout and NBI have hung the cables for us. Today I saw a box on our pole that is suspiciously similar to Eirs boxes just down the road from the initial Eir rollout in our area. Wondering are NBI using similar hardware or have Eir decided try and get to us now that NBI have moved in.

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Would anyone have a photo of the boxes that are are hung on the polls by NBI? We were just outside the Eir rollout and NBI have hung the cables for us. Today I saw a box on our pole that is suspiciously similar to Eirs boxes just down the road from the initial Eir rollout in our area. Wondering are NBI using similar hardware or have Eir decided try and get to us now that NBI have moved in.

Post from last week

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115985129#post115985129
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115985505
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115986136#post115986136

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭_Puma_

The Cush wrote: »

Mighty, similar housing box it looks like. Looks like the NBI box so that was put up on ours. Another step closer. Date was updated to May from February for us last week but figured that was on the cards. Cable was hung mid November.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

So going by the houses in Cavan it was around a week or so from hanging up the DPs to connecting a house? That seems incredibly fast. Hopefully it's not a case of they just happened to be the last boxes needing to be hung in Cavan!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭cregmon

Our area was surveyed several months ago but there hasn't been any update to the NBI status. Does anyone here know what the usual lag time is? Does NBI wait for their surveyors to complete an entire intervention area before publishing a plan?

FWIW there are two neighbouring areas (Ballinasloe & Roscommon town/environs) that are under construction; Athlone (West & East) doesn't appear on the forecast plans, so I'm not expecting anything until after 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭jones

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Date was updated to May from February for us last week but figured that was on the cards. Cable was hung mid November.

Thanks that gives me a good indication of our place so. The cable was hung here last week so a couple of months to go yet it seems. Dam tree cutters getting my hopes up :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Absolute thrilled this morning, all three of my properties are now surveyed and included for fibre even the most remote far flung one. Hurdle one jumped on the race for connectivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

theguzman wrote: »
    Absolute thrilled this morning, all three of my properties are now surveyed and included for fibre even the most remote far flung one. Hurdle one jumped on the race for connectivity.

What area?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭andy.dunleavy

Not bad NBI pricing from Vodafone

500 Fibre Broadband €30 per month for the first 12 months (€60 thereafter)
    1000 Fibre Broadband €40 per month for the first 12 months (€70 thereafter)

€50 installation fee may apply depending on location

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

How long would you be locked in to contract or can you bail after the 12 months to another supplier

naughto wrote: »
    How long would you be locked in to contract or can you bail after the 12 months to another supplier

it's only a 12 month contract, Vodafone don't do 18 month contracts anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

it's only a 12 month contract, Vodafone don't do 18 month contracts anymore

Would it not be better for them to do the 30 a month after the 12 months so you would stay with them rather than doubling the price.
    I presume there hoping people will not want the hassle of getting a new provider

naughto wrote: »
    Would it not be better for them to do the 30 a month after the 12 months so you would stay with them rather than doubling the price.
    I presume there hoping people will not want the hassle of getting a new provider

I guess for people who don't want the hassle of changing won't be bothered taking the hit, but i agree doubling the price for 500mb is a bit excessive

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Just had a look at some of the other suppliers listed on NBI.ie. Great to see some of the smaller guys are competitive price wise.

Westnet -
    500MB/s €45
    1000Mb/s €65
    No Connection Fee
    12 month contract, no mention of a surge after 12 months. No confirmation that this is NBI pricing though
    https://www.westnet.ie/fibre/

atlantek.net
    500MB/s €45
    1000Mb/s €55
    No Connection Fee
    12 month contract, no mention of a surge after 12 months. Not too sure about their expected speeds listed and their website seems circa 2005 but if there service is good I'm not too bothered
    https://atlantek.net/nbi/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Awesome pricing by Vodafone and it will torpedo most wisp resellers on the NBI, I'm sure alot won't bother now as they see what they will be facing.

I will probably go for the 500mb package myself just to save the €120/year when it's available because there isn't many servers will actually give you the full gigabit anyway unless you are paying.

All the people who are about to get such a speed increase and save money ontop of it also what a great day for them. The most important project we have seen in Ireland since rural electrification of the 1950's, inter-urban motorways 2005-2018 and now this.

Above the nbi pricing on the vodafone website, it says add tv at no extra cost

but i can't see anymore details regarding this

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Anyone know if the vodafone includes home phone?

• Advertisement

I believe free calls to irish landlines is included with either package, but you might want to double check

https://www.totaltele.com/508482/Once-you-have-connectivity-there-are-really-no-boundaries-How-the-NBP-will-transform-rural-Ireland
    Total Telecom spoke to Nokia’s CEO of UK & Ireland, Phil Siveter, and Peter Hendrick, CEO of National Broadband Ireland to discuss their work together on the National Broadband Plan, set to bring transformative connectivity throughout the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I wonder will they do some kind of package if you are an existing vodafone mobile phone user?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Garfin

How do you find out if your house has been surveyed?
    Do they contact you or do you contact them if you're interested?
    We dont have a phone line or poles near us, nearest pole is about 400 metres away.
    By the eircode checker we are in the intervention area,

Network Build in Progress

Your premises is in the Intervention Area. We are actively working in your area to deliver high speed fibre broadband! It is anticipated that high speed fibre broadband will be available in your area within the date range below.*

Date:May 2021 - July 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

Garfin wrote: »
    We dont have a phone line or poles near us, nearest pole is about 400 metres away.

Your premises is in the Intervention Area. We are actively working in your area to deliver high speed fibre broadband! It is anticipated that high speed fibre broadband will be available in your area within the date range below.*

is there power cables coming in overhead? if so they will use that i'd assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

We’re in an exact same situation!.....3 miles from a county town but well off the beaten track!.....I contacted them while surveying the area and they visited the house and speculated on what direction to approach the house with poles from!.....previous owner had no land-line so win-win!!

GavoTrav wrote: »
    is there power cables coming in overhead? if so they will use that i'd assume.
    Yes power lines to the gate and ducted in from there

sandyxxx wrote: »
    We’re in an exact same situation!.....3 miles from a county town but well off the beaten track!.....I contacted them while surveying the area and they visited the house and speculated on what direction to approach the house with poles from!.....previous owner had no land-line so win-win!!
    How did you find out they were surveying? How did you contact them? What was the solution found for your setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

How did you find out they were surveying? How did you contact them? What was the solution found for your setup?

I spotted them surveying the area and send them a message on Facebook......They sent someone to the house a day or two later.....don’t think they’d have found the house otherwise.....we’re down as intervention area on the website......think they’re going with poles and cables over fields to the house!.....18>22 months they mentioned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

We (Co. Longford) were surveyed late last August but it still says pending survey on the nbi website.

I e-mail nbi to see if there is an update on when we will be connected. They replied and said it should be available by the end of March 2021.

I hope it’s accurate but there is no sign of any action on the ground. It’s odd that there is no mention of this anywhere on their site either. I have my doubts.

Advertisement