Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

https://ibb.co/41vP8LZ. This is how surveying of houses are done by NBI and DCCE. Makes no sense .

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Are you talking about a BCP?

If that is a piece of kit to be installed in 'public' locations, yes.

Latest from Ryan for Cork -
    Broadband Connection Points (BCPs) are a key element of the NBP providing high speed broadband in every county in advance of the roll out of the fibre to the home network. As of 10 January, 243 publicly accessible BCP sites have been installed by NBI and the high speed broadband service will be switched on in these locations through service provider contracts managed by the Department of Rural and Community Development. BCP’s are installed and connected at Ballindangan Community Centre, Aghabullogue Community Centre, Castletownkenneigh Community Centre, Lissavard Community Centre, Whitechurch Community Centre and T.O. Park Labbamollaga. Further details can be found at .

Note that the the location was left out....

To go back to my original question, what is BCP supposed to offer?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

BarryM wrote: »
    To go back to my original question, what is BCP supposed to offer?

A BCP is basically a public hotspot as a stopgap measure while NBP rolls out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭clohamon

I was thinking they were temporary too, but came across this from a Committee meeting where a DRCD official was explaining that BCPs are somewhat dependent on community support and may be permanent.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/committees/?id=2020-12-02a.581#g658
    Dr. Stjohn O'Connor:
    I will come back on one point from Deputy Ó Cuív. It is important that I make this clarification. Broadband connection points, BCPs, are not a replacement for fibre. They are there to address a gap while the fibre is rolled out. Very interestingly, we are connecting our first direct fibre BCPs, which are currently wireless connectivity. The intention is, and it is our view, that all the BCPs will convert into fibre BCPs for all the reasons we have discussed today. Just because there is fibre in everybody's home it does not invalidate the need for the BCP. The first one of these will be connected in the new year, which is a trial run. Obviously, the kit and how it all hangs together needs to be tested. Again, it is really important to understand that it is not a replacement for fibre to the premises. It is an offering for the community. That is very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Dero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Dero wrote:
    And so it begins...

speed test or it never happened

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Now that the people of Cavan can surf the world wide web can they tell us how the process went, as in how long ago did they noticed things moving. Cables being laid to activation.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Wheelman2

Jofspring wrote: »
    Now that the people of Cavan can surf the world wide web can they tell us how the process went, as in how long ago did they noticed things moving. Cables being laid to activation.
    If you go back through the posts, Baz9375 done a great job of posting about work that was going on around his area with pictures included. He isn't connected yet, but due to be in February 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭baz9375

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2021/01/29/the-allisons-make-a-a-piece-of-digital-history/?fbclid=IwAR2ehfyt8W-Dgpciv8mgPU8H713VxFSZ-1IFrXeX_lt3dun5b3xfgwDYF7A

NBI Eircode checker for premises in the area has also been updated to the message we’re all waiting for :-)

‘High Speed Fibre Broadband now available
    Your premises is in the Intervention Area and can be connected to the new high speed fibre network now.*

Order Now through one of the local providers in your area’

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭baz9375

Wheelman2 wrote: »
    If you go back through the posts, Baz9375 done a great job of posting about work that was going on around his area with pictures included. He isn't connected yet, but due to be in February 2021.

Cheers. Waiting patiently now. I’ll let you all know soon as I have any updates :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

A week ago they were trimming trees in east cork now they have the nbi cables hanging out of the poles spotted it out on a walk today.

A week ago they were trimming trees in east cork now they have the nbi cables hanging out of the poles spotted it out on a walk today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

Nolars wrote: »

Same here North Co Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

jones wrote: »
    Likewise same here in Rochestown, Cork, new poles installed along the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

baz9375 wrote: »
    https://www.anglocelt.ie/2021/01/29/the-allisons-make-a-a-piece-of-digital-history/?fbclid=IwAR2ehfyt8W-Dgpciv8mgPU8H713VxFSZ-1IFrXeX_lt3dun5b3xfgwDYF7A

NBI Eircode checker for premises in the area has also been updated to the message we’re all waiting for :-)

‘High Speed Fibre Broadband now available
    Your premises is in the Intervention Area and can be connected to the new high speed fibre network now.*

Order Now through one of the local providers in your area’

Why is there a WISP technician in the photo? Are your service provider going to be doing the install or will it be NBI or their contractors? It appears that this house is served by EuronaArden a Wisp in the Cavan area was this just a photo op for free PR or will NBI be actually working this closely with the ISP's that they allow them to install?

In good news for myself I spotted NBI vans around surveying my own locality recently this week.

Look who has also arrived to the party :pac:
    https://www.eir.ie/nbi/

https://www.facebook.com/arden.broadband/posts/3636040553153226

This seems to be the first confirmed Speedtest we have seen on the NBI network in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

theguzman wrote: »

This seems to be the first confirmed Speedtest we have seen on the NBI network in Ireland.

The cake looks tasty but that speed looks tastier

jones wrote:

What is the next stage of the process do you know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

I wonder will their sister unit in Roscommon, Eurona Brisknet, be providing NBI connections too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

Nolars wrote:
    What is the next stage of the process do you know ?

Don't have a clue.

The tree trimmers told me it's be weeks there were people doing the survey on the road said the same thing but the date online remains December 21 and some on here said the same so basically I don't have a clue.

• Advertisement

Pique wrote: »
    I wonder will their sister unit in Roscommon, Eurona Brisknet, be providing NBI connections too?

From my own research it appears Eurona is a Spanish ISP which has either partnered with or else bought up what were local wireless companies around counties Roscommon, Cavan and Longford. They seem to have adapted a company livery and colour scheme very similar to Eircom's 1999 launch livery.:pac: Surely Eircom isn't what you want to be emulating for your business.

https://www.facebook.com/arden.broadband/photos/a.377865992304048/2718953014861989/

https://bit.ly/3j2QpXd

It would be better to have a unified brand than a mishmash of local regional variants. especially if you intend to compete nationally across the NBI. Will we start seeing these wisps now offering connectivity over OpenEir and SIRO's FTTH networks also or is their NBI inclusion basically an attempt to defend some local turf so to speak? Which infrastructural network would be be more profitable for the likes of Sky, progressive wisps Et al. to sell service via NBI, OpenEir or SIRO?

Could a man below in Wexford get his Broadband from a Mayo or Donegal WISP via NBI or will there be geographical boundaries. Once NBI get going you'd imagine the big players like EIR, Vodafone etc. will launch a price-war to sink the WISP's by offering below cost internet over a period of time to squeeze out the smaller players with Fibre speed advantage and lower cost for a period of time? Do a Michael O'Leary stunt like Ryanair often does and burn cash for a short while to keep out the competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Honestly I would be more inclined to sign up for ftth with the local wisp that initially provided me with a service (albeit more expensive and not 100% reliable) up to 10x faster than copper when nobody else could. That's if it's at a comparable price point.

I am conflicted though because they were/are part of RISPA, the wisp consortium that tried to block the NBP from their areas of coverage.

But on the other hand they provide employment locally in a rural town and like I said did give me 20mbps when copper could only give 2.

Yes they will probably be undercut by the big players as you say. I wonder what stake/influence their parent Eurona have and what the plans are.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oleard1987

Hoping that somebody can help me
    My area is having FTTH installed but our estate isn't in the intervention area .We currently have no cables laid
    They have laid the ducting and also the inner ducting. This was all done roughly 9 months ago
    Just wondering why we wouldn't have been included in the NBI?
    I have contacted the DCCA AND they have advised that there is broadband available in our area with speeds of 30mb but there isn't
    Has anybody had a similar problem ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Look who has also arrived to the party :pac:
    https://www.eir.ie/nbi/

NBI pricing?

The link on that page links to eir's 150 & 1000 Mbps plans, no mention of NBI's 500 Mbps profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

oleard1987 wrote: »
    Hoping that somebody can help me
    My area is having FTTH installed but our estate isn't in the intervention area .We currently have no cables laid
    They have laid the ducting and also the inner ducting. This was all done roughly 9 months ago
    I have contacted the DCCA AND they have advised that there is broadband available in our area with speeds of 30mb but there isn't
    Has anybody had a similar problem ?

Have you spoken to the Developer ?

oleard1987 wrote: »

Basically because the commercial operators would have told the Department of Communications, when the Intervention Area map was being developed, they have plans to rollout fibre with speeds in excess of 30 Mbps to the area which under the plan would automatically exclude your area from the NBP.

Could a man below in Wexford get his Broadband from a Mayo or Donegal WISP via NBI or will there be geographical boundaries.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115753539#post115753539

I assume they can if the WISP uses NBI's national PoH (points of handover), 2 located in Dublin, instead of their local regional PoH. Wholesale charges are higher for the national PoH.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

Would you have any idea why one house on a rural cul-de-sac would not be covered when every other home is?

Fibre is being laid on our road and although everyone has the same ISP (and WISP) availability our home is excluded.

Happy to provide our Eircode by PM if you’d like.

Thank you!
    The Cush wrote: »
    Basically because the commercial operators would have told the Department of Communications, when the Intervention Area map was being developed, they have plans to rollout fibre with speeds in excess of 30 Mbps to the area which under the plan would automatically exclude your area from the NBP.

trant wrote: »
    Fibre is being laid on our road and although everyone has the same ISP (and WISP) availability our home is excluded.

Happy to provide our Eircode by PM if you’d like.

What does the eircode checker say on the NBI website?
    https://nbi.ie/map/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

Eircode checker says "not in intervention area". All other houses in the same area, served by the same ISPs and with the same availability are included in the intervention area.

Advertisement