Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

PCros wrote: »
    Any thoughts on investing in Roblox when it becomes available? It seems to have been delayed again.

My kids and my friends kids are addicted to this game but not sure if there is anything in it!

Roblox has huge potential definitely one i will be trying to get in on when it launches.

Has a massive market across all ages, and allows anyone to publish their games for free through it and earn money off them there is literally a game for everyone on roblox and its growing year on year.

That being said its a majorly hyped IPO so i'd expect it to rise a lot initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jwix

Hi all,
    Would like advice on online trading apps, which is best?? Had shares years ago and made some money, but kids came and that ended that,lol. Any advice on investing would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Anyone buying AMD on the dip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Anyone buying AMD on the dip?

Not a chance, too many problems under the hood. They may have the best desktop processors but they are unable to supply them.
    It's Intel all the way at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Not a chance, too many problems under the hood. They may have the best desktop processors but they are unable to supply them.

GPU launch this month too

• Advertisement

Intel more a buy than AMD? They are losing so much market share to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭circadian

Ehhhhhh.

Supply issues all over the market at the minute. AMD are smashing them on performance and power usage. Intel are potentially going to outsource to TSMC or Samsung which will inevitably raise their prices, not to mention the amount of cash they flushed down the drain on trying to achieve close to 7nm manufacturing.

AMD recently patented a new design of GPU which is chiplet based rather than monolith. The advantage here is reduced silicon binning and less wastage, saving cash at potentially 5nm.

They have also forked their GPU division into desktop gaming and data centre workloads along with acquiring Xilinx so expect some leaps in machine learning and a move away from x86 to risc (this is the way the industry is going in general) whilst Intel seem to be holding onto x86.

Buying AMD on the dip and topping up my stock, when the supply issue is sorted and RDNA3 hits the market expect that stock to rise again.

circadian wrote: »
    Ehhhhhh.

Supply issues all over the market at the minute. AMD are smashing them on performance and power usage. Intel are potentially going to outsource to TSMC or Samsung which will inevitably raise their prices, not to mention the amount of cash they flushed down the drain on trying to achieve close to 7nm manufacturing.

AMD recently patented a new design of GPU which is chiplet based rather than monolith. The advantage here is reduced silicon binning and less wastage, saving cash at potentially 5nm.

They have also forked their GPU division into desktop gaming and data centre workloads along with acquiring Xilinx so expect some leaps in machine learning and a move away from x86 to risc (this is the way the industry is going in general) whilst Intel seem to be holding onto x86.

Buying AMD on the dip and topping up my stock, when the supply issue is sorted and RDNA3 hits the market expect that stock to rise again.

My thoughts as well. My only concern is AMD is somewhat caught up in the meme stock WSB stuff even though it is not a meme stock itself.

It seems that is what caused the dip before earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭circadian

My thoughts as well. My only concern is AMD is somewhat caught up in the meme stock WSB stuff even though it is not a meme stock itself.

It seems that is what caused the dip before earnings.

Didn't realise it was a meme stock, been sitting around high 80s for a long time now. I'd say the dip was more anticipating reduced earnings to supply issues.

circadian wrote: »
    Didn't realise it was a meme stock, been sitting around high 80s for a long time now. I'd say the dip was more anticipating reduced earnings to supply issues.

It's not really a meme stock as they actually are a company doing very well but it's trading was restricted to buying 1 share on robinhood for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

Kilough wrote: »
    Hi all.

Have been reading through this forum and it's previous incarnations over the past few months and have picked up a lot of what seems like useful info so thanks to all posters!

I've a few general queries:
    - I'm a generally time strapped newbie casual investor who would like to start off a sensibly diversified portfolio. The way I see it, I'd need maybe 20 odd stocks to reduce my risk ..

Thanks!

Investing in stock market is very different in US than in Ireland. Its difficult to answer this question without full picture. For instance, you might be better off maximising your AVC in pension pot if you are not doing currently. You can choose ETFs within pension. Likewise, you may want to pay lump sum in your mortgage. Any dividend is taxed at income rate and capital gain at 33% after initial relief. Investing in stock from your taxed income makes sense if you still have spare money or okay to take big risks as it will be taxed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpfm

Hello all. In my view, people are mad to only invest in 3-5 stocks. Someone mentioned being overly diversified with 30odd. I don't think that's overly diversified at all. You might go heavier on some stocks than others (I def go heavier with clean energy than SP500 broad) but diversification is a good thing, especially if you find a platform that doesn't charge a transaction fee.

Anyway, for anyone interested, here's what I invested in towards the end of December. As you will see, it's highly diversified. The management fees average about €3 for every €1,000 invested.

Posting this might earn someone a few bob, and I'm really interested to hear critiques/advice/comments if anyone has them. I'm up 7.6% over the five weeks or so. Given the diversification, I'm very happy with that.

This is a great list - thanks for sharing. I'm gonna work my way through it and prob take a few onboard. You obviously opt for funds and ETFs instead of individual stocks. Any particular reason other than the reduced risk? I'm only 1 year into investing on my own - but I believe I'm getting a better return with individual stocks. Granted - doesn't always work - but when I initially scanned your list I was surprised ...
    Will probably come back with questions ... I'm not that quick at getting through the research..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Bit of a short term gamble on Novavax paying off, was $134 on 29th Jan and now at 290+, hopefully with the vaccine rollout in next few months it will go higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭Treppen

GW Pharma have been bought out by Jazz , the green rush is back folks.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Anyone ever check out the app Stocktwits, have to say tis very good and keep tracks of the stock that your tracking and what people are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Gevo ticking along nicely. Up 17% since I bought on Monday

Bought last week at $13, while it’s annoying that I am not upwards just yet, I’d look forward to the future and I do think it will go up.

I remember a few weeks ago somebody mentioning here buying at $5 and expects to rise to $50 in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

Bought and sold GEVO within a week 20% up.
    Opened Carnival and Royal Dutch shell on Monday. Will hold these though Carnival up 5%. Thinking of buying intrest in Airlines. Any suggestions please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Anyone ever check out the app Stocktwits, have to say tis very good and keep tracks of the stock that your tracking and what people are saying.

Very useful for news on smaller stocks, pre and post market share prices, for larger stocks, with like 50k+ followers the newsfeed is liable to be mostly pure rubbish (shame they don't have filters that like remove all posts with like moonshot and other rubbish hype), charts need work also, no moving average lines on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Have been reading through this forum and it's previous incarnations over the past few months and have picked up a lot of what seems like useful info so thanks to all posters!
    Welcome aboard
    - I'm a generally time strapped newbie casual investor who would like to start off a sensibly diversified portfolio. The way I see it, I'd need maybe 20 odd stocks to reduce my risk and have enough diversification. Maybe mix in some bitcoin/other blockchain and gold or other physical asset. As a part timer, how can I stay abreast of all press releases, earnings calls, pipeline info, chatter etc. on a diversified portfolio? Or is it best to just pick long term stocks and forget about them?
    20 odd diversified stocks will be perfect. I'd say there's not many that keep abrest of all earnings calls etc. The best stocks are the ones you can forget about for a year and come back and just trust that it'll be hgher. Pick some stocks that you won't need to worry about (Apple, Microsoft, Starbucks), and a few riskier plays (Sqaure, Pinterest, Teledoc) and you'll be fine.
    - Are posters on here working in the area of finance/investments generally?
    Can't speak for all but I'd imagine most are not in the industry.
    - Listened to a Podcast recently with Cathie Wood of Ark invest and using ARK ETF share picks seems like a good starting point. Any thoughts on Ark ETFs?
    The obvious warning is that past performance isn't future performance, her luck will run out eventually. I like her stocks, but the big problem now is that stocks just go up because she tells people "I bought PayPal today"
    - Any thoughts on best platform to operate on? Preferably free, low commission etc. Revolut, eToro, deGiro?
    Not Revolut, that's not for a long term stuff, most here use Degiro
    - Any other thoughts on where to start when investing! I'll be investing money I can afford to lose
    Play by the safe rules (no Gamestop!) and you'll be losing nothing :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Bought myself CLOV (Clover Health) and IPOF today.

Both Chamath plays, CLOV hasn't really moved since it merged, Chamath is very passionate about it from what I've seen. IPOF has no target get, rumours of an EV play.

EV + SPAC + Chamath sounds like rocket ships to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Bought myself CLOV (Clover Health) and IPOF today.

Both Chamath plays, CLOV hasn't really moved since it merged, Chamath is very passionate about it from what I've seen. IPOF has no target get, rumours of an EV play.

EV + SPAC + Chamath sounds like rocket ships to me

Need to look into that one if it's EV, I don't have a position in sofi but it looks good, waiting for a dip.

I think he's brilliant, any pipe or company he's in has done well

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

+1 for Teams crushing all the rest, I wouldn't touch zoom with a bargepole at any price nevermind the crazy 100 billion+ current mcap.

Anecdotally our large biopharma company has banned everything else, its all teams now, all our contractors have switched aswell, our whole sector is running on Teams now, from instant messages to scheduling to record keeping not just video calls, and it does the messaging/video/conference call thing better anyway. My brother reports the same in the legal industry, Bebo to Facebook levels of switchover.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

bish76 wrote: »
    Bought and sold GEVO within a week 20% up.
    Opened Carnival and Royal Dutch shell on Monday. Will hold these though Carnival up 5%. Thinking of buying intrest in Airlines. Any suggestions please.

American Airlines and Delta are worth considering. Neither will do anything for over a year but you’d expect a return once vaccines etc are all rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

It's not really a meme stock as they actually are a company doing very well but it's trading was restricted to buying 1 share on robinhood for example.

Do you mean AMC? I can't for the life of my understand why AMD would be a meme stock or be restricted.

Edit: I just googled it, what in the absolute ****. Why is AMD a meme stock? haha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Supercell wrote: »
    MARA and PERI doing great for me today, expecting/hoping both of these double by the summer.

APPS (digital turbine) had a good beat in their earnings and revenue today, up 12% after hours trading, hopefully will bring PERI up tomorrow also. I'm in MGNI also, in the mobile advertising sector as well, and its up 50% in the 2wks since I got in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

DFV's latest update. He says that he's "gonna back off the daily updates for now". I would expect most will sell tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭Treppen

Thargor wrote: »
    +1 for Teams crushing all the rest, I wouldn't touch zoom with a bargepole at any price nevermind the crazy 100 billion+ current mcap.

Anecdotally our large biopharma company has banned everything else, its all teams now, all our contractors have switched aswell, our whole sector is running on Teams now, from instant messages to scheduling to record keeping not just video calls, and it does the messaging/video/conference call thing better anyway. My brother reports the same in the legal industry, Bebo to Facebook levels of switchover.

Watch this space, this could be Ackman's "Mature Unicorn" ace in the hole for PSTH :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,007 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Interesting development for the AMC wsb crew there was a coordinated mass buying into the stock at 1.00 eastern time in order to trick the algorithms which walked the price up to 9.60 falling a bit now but another planned for 2.00.

This seems to have happened in both AMC and GME today.

Edit : if true then it proves they are infact effecting the price.

DFV's latest update. He says that he's "gonna back off the daily updates for now". I would expect most will sell tomorrow?

It'll certainly have an effect on retail investors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

i won't be selling anyways. I just like the stock..

Advertisement