Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,073 ✭✭✭✭beertons

No laughing please, what does FOMO mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭cal naughton

beertons wrote: »
    No laughing please, what does FOMO mean?

Fear Of Missing Out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Super day. All of last weeks losses made up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

bish76 wrote: »
    Any suggestions to buy stocks in legal marijuan. I see it expanding more and more in coming years.

Pull up a chair buddy ... I could tell you a long story going back to 2017...

Or just buy Aphria ... Although its around an all time high now, maybe it'll break through. A few years ago I tipped it at 17 which didn't go to well but it's back again.

Medipharm is getting positive interest again.

Greenrose Acquisition Corp if youd like to take a punt on some mysterious purchase in the future. Someone mentioned it a while back so I jumped on the hypetrain. They have a few more months before making the purchase yet so who knows.

Have a look at r/weedstocks for the next hype train.

USA market is just to diverse at the moment so there's many small players.

People are loving Cresco Labs but I can't see them on Degiro right now (only EUR Frankfurt)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Jesus i just did my own basic comparisons on 212 of AMC vs GME over the last 3-4 days and the peaks and troughs are almost identical barring the close on Friday.

How this cannot be classed as blatant manipulation is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

SmokyMo wrote: »
    It did happen.

Do you think it was the army of redditors sweeping up offers from order books in the millions every day pushing up the market?

RH plus other free brokers sell their order flow, Citadel is main buyer. You think they gonna outsmart Citadel?
    HFTs, WSB algos whatever entity you can think of front running your orders. Dark pools. They can see the market moving before it even registers on a ticker.

Big dogs can pull the rug from you at any moment. You not gonna WSB at their own game.

Best thing was to hop on and hop off when you start to get greedy..

as SmokyMo said about the dark pools ..they can see the trades coming in and use algomatic trading to make a quick buck on the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

MikeSoys wrote: »
    no actually i'd love to be able to speak like that here

Lol fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

VinLieger wrote: »
    Jesus i just did my own basic comparisons on 212 of AMC vs GME over the last 3-4 days and the peaks and troughs are almost identical barring the close on Friday.

...its Wall Street ...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

People talk about this bubble we are currently in regarding stock prices. I am interested to find out do people have stop losses in place for their entire portfolio?

I have a pretty diverse portfolio at the moment with 30 different stocks. I don't have any stop losses in place so feel very vulnerable.

What's people strategy on this? Stop loss at break even price for each holding?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Scary really, but these trends are observed in the green also.

I think it just shows how little impact individuals have on stocks. As people can’t agree on anything yet stocks regularly match each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Timing belt

A lot of people are buying or Selling GME are also doing the same with AMC and probably at the same time... so you would expect a correlation

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

Bacchus wrote: »
    Done. Went in with...
    L&G Cyber Security UCITS ETF
    IAG
    Disney

SolarWinds are on a downward trend this week so I'll see if it goes a bit lower before buying in. BTW, if anyone is interested, this was the positive news for SolarWinds that makes me feel they'll bounce back stronger... https://www.zdnet.com/article/solarwinds-hires-chris-krebs-and-alex-stamos-as-part-of-security-review/

So I just need to stop checking my portfolio every 5 minutes and accept that this is a long term game :D

Looking forward to being part of this group.

Which market did you purchase L&G Cyber Security UCITS ETF?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JaimeLannister

Great days yesterday and today. Lovely to see all that green flashing in the portfolio (except for the usual NIO). Tech stocks flying it at the minute.... GOOGL & AMZN both reporting earnings this evening - while i hold neither currently, hopefully good results will add some fuel to the current run!

As an aside does anyone use DeGiro for DCAing on a monthly/quarterly basis? I'm guessing there's no way around not being able to buy fractional shares? This is what has stopped me from picking up the likes of GOOGL, AMZN so far. Hard to DCA into something thats 2or3k a pop :) Maybe once every 6/12 months as part of a rebalance would be the only way.

Had been DCAing into MSCI World ETF on EAM up to last year. Handy as commission-free on DeGiro and in € so no currency fluctuations. Did pretty well but the 41% exit tax is a killer.... so decided i'd take a more active approach to the portfolio! the 1270 annual exemption on any gains, and offsetting of any losses convinced me it's a better approach to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

PLTR taking a battering again after a spike last week, will pile again when it goes under 30

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

A lot of people are buying or Selling GME are also doing the same with AMC and probably at the same time... so you would expect a correlation

but at the same times and directions.....any other stocks in the market that look similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

should have dumped when it was near $150 an hour ago

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

All the action is either after hours, or the first 90mns each day

daheff wrote: »

but at the same times and directions.....any other stocks in the market that look similar?

Yes you will always have stocks that track each other....

In the case of GME and AMC 99% of the investors will be the same. If they are feeling greedy prices will rise if there is fear prices will fall. I don't think you will have that many investors who are expecting one of these shares to rise while the other falls especially as it is speculation that is driving the momentum and not any fundamentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

USD loosing value... if it don't hold at 1.20 to the Euro it could easily fall to 1.18 where there is more resistance.

If you have USD exposure worth keeping an eye on it.

Gaining you mean.

Gaining you mean.

yes USD gaining... Eur loosing value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    should have dumped when it was near $150 an hour ago

Pretty poor advice tbh. If you want to lose money then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭daheff

Akesh wrote: »

everybody has their thresholds.

it might be a loss of money to stop a bigger loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Hello all. In my view, people are mad to only invest in 3-5 stocks. Someone mentioned being overly diversified with 30odd. I don't think that's overly diversified at all. You might go heavier on some stocks than others (I def go heavier with clean energy than SP500 broad) but diversification is a good thing, especially if you find a platform that doesn't charge a transaction fee.

Anyway, for anyone interested, here's what I invested in towards the end of December. As you will see, it's highly diversified. The management fees average about €3 for every €1,000 invested.

Technology
    Schwab US Large-Cap Growth SCHG
    iShares Core S&P US Growth IUSG
    Vanguard ETH Growth VUG
    Vanguard Mega Cap Growth MGK

Warren Buffett Fan Club
    Berkshire Hathaway BRK.B

Emerging Markets
    Vanguard FTSE Emerging VWO
    Schwab Emerging SCHE
    BNY Mellon Emerging BKEM
    Invesco PureBeta PBEE
    iShares BRIC BKF
    Vanguard FTSE Pacific Index VPL

U.S. Small Cap Value
    Vanguard Small-Cap Value Index Fund ETF VBR
    Vanguard Russell VTWV
    Vanguard SP600 VIOO
    Invesco SP SmallCap Value Revenue RWJ

Mid-Cap Growth
    Vanguard Mid-Cap Value VOE
    Goldman Hedge Industry GVIP
    Vanguard Mid-Cap Growth VOT
    Vanguard Momentum VFMO
    Invesco SP* Midcap Momentum XMMO

Large-Cap Growth
    Vanguard ETH Growth VUG

International Large-Cap Growth
    Vanguard International Dividend Appreciation VIGI
    JP Morgan International Growth JIG
    First Trust International Equity FPXI
    First Trust Dow Jones International FDNI

Health
    Van Eck Vectors Biotech BBH
    BlackRock Future Health BMED
    ARK Genomic Rev ARKG
    Robo Global HTEC

Energy (Clean and Dirty)
    iShares Global Clean Energy ICLN
    Invesco Cleantech PZD
    Invesco Global Clean Energy PBD
    iShares MSCI Global Energy FILL
    Smart ETFs Sustainable Energy SULR
    First Trust Energy FXN
    Fidelity MSCI Energy FENY

Posting this might earn someone a few bob, and I'm really interested to hear critiques/advice/comments if anyone has them. I'm up 7.6% over the five weeks or so. Given the diversification, I'm very happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

treatyman wrote: »
    Which market did you purchase L&G Cyber Security UCITS ETF?

MIL. Not based on any reason. Probably should read up on choosing where to trade. Any tips? :)

Akesh wrote: »

i bought six GME @$78 earlier , would have been a nice scalp in less than half an hour @$150

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    i bought @$78 earlier , would have been a nice scalp in less than half an hour @$150

I was thinking the same when it went sub 100, that I would sneak in and sell if it jumped up.

But I promised myself not to get further involved in this madness. So I backed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Technology
    Vanguard ETH Growth VUG

Copied the wrong list :o

Technology
    Vanguard IT VGT
    Fidelity MSCI IT FTEC
    Invesco SP Small Cap IT PSCT
    SPDR SP Semiconductor ETF XSD
    Global X Cybersecurity ETF BUG
    First Trust Dow Jones Internet FDN
    Global X FinTech FINX
    ARK Fintech ARKF
    Ecofin Digital Payments TPAY
    iShares Cybersecurity and Tech IHAK

I was thinking the same when it went sub 100, that I would sneak in and sell if it jumped up.

But I promised myself not to get further involved in this madness. So I backed off.

your dead right , i wasnt in GME in a week when i sold @ $288 , i guess i thought id have some ( reckless ) fun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Hello all. In my view, people are mad to only invest in 3-5 stocks. Someone mentioned being overly diversified with 30odd. I don't think that's overly diversified at all. You might go heavier on some stocks than others (I def go heavier with clean energy than SP500 broad) but diversification is a good thing, especially if you find a platform that doesn't charge a transaction fee

Thanks for sharing your picks and advice.

As I recently posted about going in on 3-5 stocks :) I should say that this is me dipping my toe in. I plan to increase my investment over time and build towards a more diverse portfolio. Clean energy is defo a good call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭LC134

treatyman wrote: »
    People talk about this bubble we are currently in regarding stock prices. I am interested to find out do people have stop losses in place for their entire portfolio?

I have a pretty diverse portfolio at the moment with 30 different stocks. I don't have any stop losses in place so feel very vulnerable.

What's people strategy on this? Stop loss at break even price for each holding?

Would also be interested in hearing people’s thoughts on this. I don’t have any stop losses but will need to introduce soon as I contribute more money to the investment pot.

Advertisement