Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Stocks really powering ahead the last few days. Its can be mixed feelings when they creep up in value. You're wondering if the whole market is overvalued.

Been feeling that way for a couple of years. SPs have incredible future growth built in, it feels like a complete departure from fundamentals.

There is so much money looking for a return between institutions benefitting from QE and retail getting nothing from deposits, it's a self perpetuating boom in SP. It feels like eventually something has to happen...even if fundamentals never reassert, eventually the money will be needed for other purposes, right? Or people will start getting burnt by fraudulent behaviour with stocks being extinguished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Did anybody get involved in UWM Holdings through the Gores SPAC. It's puzzling me to say the least. Q4 earnings beat analyst expectations across the board yet the stock price has slowly dropped.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/uwm-holdings-corporation-announces-uwm-212900851.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What expensive hobby has Bezos got involved with? He hasn't got into any team sports. Perhaps Tottenham when the Covid situation is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Holding for now, I'll see what Chamath comes back with, I assume he knew this was gonna come up at some stage

Statement to be released by them soon.
    Lot of anger regarding this report, v tempted to BTD

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

YFlyer wrote: »
    What expensive hobby has Bezos got involved with? He hasn't got into any team sports. Perhaps Tottenham when the Covid situation is over.

Space colonisation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

masterK wrote: »
    Did anybody get involved in UWM Holdings through the Gores SPAC. It's puzzling me to say the least. Q4 earnings beat analyst expectations across the board yet the stock price has slowly dropped.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/uwm-holdings-corporation-announces-uwm-212900851.html

I'm sitting on a 15% loss atm, disappointing, but I'm hopeful about the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

We are the product! Great read https://www.epsilontheory.com/hunger-games/

Don't play with money you can't afford to lose!

I'm starting to come around to the idea of blockchain based exchanges. It'll be quite a war to get that past the vested interests.

Who controls the block chain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

masterK wrote: »

Same here, looking like I'll be down 10% on it by the end of today.

I've seen talk of a high short interest in it but nothing definite to explain the low sp.

Still seems like a sound investment to me so will wait

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Who controls the block chain ?

I think a central authority is still needed. You still need to control listings, broker/clearing counterparty participation and risk management and a million other things I don't know about. But 2 massive advantages are real time settlement, and if I understand correctly, symmetric/decentralised information in terms of transactions, pricing and positions.

Ideally participation in the distributed ledger wouldn't be required to trade, you could proxy that, but the point is that the ledger is used for settlement and is publicly distributed to anyone who wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Been feeling that way for a couple of years. SPs have incredible future growth built in, it feels like a complete departure from fundamentals.

There is so much money looking for a return between institutions benefitting from QE and retail getting nothing from deposits, it's a self perpetuating boom in SP. It feels like eventually something has to happen...even if fundamentals never reassert, eventually the money will be needed for other purposes, right? Or people will start getting burnt by fraudulent behaviour with stocks being extinguished.

Totally agree.... All it takes is for another asset class to post a increased return for the the money to move and chase the yield. e.g. If interest rates go up based on inflation without real growth in the economy.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭endainoz

Yolo indeed, christ what an idiotic move.

endainoz wrote: »
    Yolo indeed, christ what an idiotic move.

People did this en masse in the lead up to the crash of 1929.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭daheff

ah here

i've put in cash i'm happyprepared to lose....but not stupid amounts like this.

Reading that forum theres a lot of people going to lose a LOT of money to wall st.

i'm hoping theres a bounce so a lot can get out again close to the price they got in at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭daheff

People did this en masse in the lead up to the crash of 1929.

its leverage....most funds are doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Surely the play at this stage is to short GME. Seems like doing anything else is trying to catch a falling knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

My plan is to hold the 1.5 shares I have for at least 4 weeks and see where we are then. At that stage when/if I crystalize the loss I can carry it forward to offset against any future capital gain! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

You'd have to wonder are a lot of them reddit posts just faked for the internet points. Then again, people are incredibly stupid. :pac:

Looked at that guys previous posts. He appears to be a soldier in the US army. He clearly should not be allowed use a mobile phone or the internet unsupervised, but to think he is allowed to use guns and maybe tanks and other military hardware is scary. What a complete idiot. I hope he doesn't have any dependents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭crushproof

Not sure if it was here that it was posted previously but DSG Global, which is getting involved in the EV market has had a great day. Up over 25%.

I got in initially with a tiny holding, pure gamble, at 33c before it rocketed to 1.36. Dropped back and bought more at 1.02 before it reached a low of 73c so glad to see rising again today. Some great prospects, diverse business with its finger in a lot of pies.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Telo123

If Alibaba can get past their political issues can see a serious upside bought 10 shares last week, very solid earnings report this week too, share price actually fell on announcement but up 6 percent or so since . I never even realised they were a top 10 company by market cap before I started researching them the last few months

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭all the bais

Canada Goose (GOOS) flying today, as results beat expectations.

Should have seen that coming with all the smicks now wearing their gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Timing belt

You'd have to wonder are a lot of them reddit posts just faked for the internet points. Then again, people are incredibly stupid. :pac:

Every time you make money on a trade someone else is on the other side of the trade. We hear lots of stories of how such and such made x but not that many stories of people loosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,379 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Looks like most of Europe was on GME

map-most-traded-stocks-January-2021.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Bacchus wrote: »
    Done. Went in with...
    L&G Cyber Security UCITS ETF
    IAG
    Disney

SolarWinds are on a downward trend this week so I'll see if it goes a bit lower before buying in. BTW, if anyone is interested, this was the positive news for SolarWinds that makes me feel they'll bounce back stronger... https://www.zdnet.com/article/solarwinds-hires-chris-krebs-and-alex-stamos-as-part-of-security-review/

Went in on SolarWinds finally... definitely nervous about that one but they are owning the situation now and repairing confidence IMO. High hopes :pac:

Also added Amazon... feeling a bit deflated as it's all red at the moment but I'm hoping long term it'll pay off.

Plan is to sit on the above for the next 6 months, see how I go and then build on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

VertBlue wrote: »
    Is it too late to get on the ANVS train?

It’s dropped a good bit the last two hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

YFlyer wrote: »

Hes upping the big swinging space dick competition with Elon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Gamestop now at $55. :mad:
    Seriously, what price would it be worth buying at?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Gamestop now at $55. :mad:
    Seriously, what price would it be worth buying at?

Somewhere between $10 and $15. But it's a business in decline so I wouldn't recommend it.

Advertisement