Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

mcburns07 wrote: »
    You seem very wound up lately, are you ok?

I've always been wound up. Not being wound up might give an indication that I'm not OK.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I really do hope that those on here looking for big snows from this easterly get to see it, but I have to say, I will take a certain sadistic delight in watching the hearts drop of those twats on Twitter, who really ought to know better, who have been hyping up its potential so far if the whole thing goes titicus verticus. I'm not going to mention names, but some UK forecasters seem to be particular prone to this.

Nothing drives likes, shares, comments and retweets like telling people what they want to hear.

At the same time I hope this works out for everyone, it's been a long twisting and uncertain rollercoaster we've been on since December with very little to show for it despite all the blocking and promising charts. This is last chance of a decent cold spell before the second half of February.

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Fixed your post

Some background on parallel (Fv3) vs ECM from last year
    Take home(and I still believe it to be the case today) it ranks 3rd behind ECM and UKMO

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshallshepherd/2019/02/14/euro-vs-gfs-weather-model-wars-take-a-new-turn-in-march/

I don't read NetWeather.

This old model comparison comes up every year. Suddenly the ECMWF is king again because it has finally picked up on what other models have already been showing.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I've always been wound up. Not being wound up might give an indication that I'm not OK.

:pac: Fair

Gonzo wrote: »

At the same time I hope this works out for everyone,.

Don't get me wrong, so do I, but as you say, some are really just using this to draw in the audience and increase their profile.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

Netweather's snow risk report runs off the GFS model and after updating for the 06z run there is a high probability of snow for most of Ireland on Friday evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I keep hearing 2018 was so easy and the models never flinched. But I don't remember it that way. There was a good bit of uncertainty till about 3 days out. Gfs had it then ecm moved and vice versa. I had to do orders for my job (snow would have had a big impact) and it was only at about the 3 day point I had confidence.

I mentioned all about 2018 prelude in a prior post with regards to numerical weather prediction (NWP) and did feel people have rose tinted glasses with it being certain/perfect and all. I remember vividly everyday and people on here talking about it being backdated with a lot of negativity. I was fed into the negativity myself at times and getting huge headaches despite such good background signals. You'll probably remember me going mental about it :o was losing sleep over it! Fortunately that doesn't happen anymore..

GFS did very well in the BFTE and I consistently praised it whilst ECM was always the one less interested with the blocking high displaced too far south to allow a feed to Ireland in from the east and would give reminiscence of what happened in February 2012. However, that was an anomaly and ECM still is, by far, the best model for verification on average. Not that it was a complete flop anyway as it still picked up on the omega blocking, just not the correct positioning a lot of the time. The ICON model, once the period was in range, also did extremely well and started gaining more attention on here (and other platforms) following it.

Been less confident with regards to this potential cold snap (which looks more likely than a spell honestly) as there just is no strong signal to suggest otherwise. There is a wedge of heights to our north that needs to develop into a blocking high and fend off the lows to undercut but will it be strong enough to allow the lows to sink and a direct feed from the east occurs? There comes a bit of another issue then - those heights over the med into southeast Europe which can advect greatly milder air towards us via a southeasterly airflow. It's a fragile pattern with high risk of failure. Then for the latter part of the week, what will the US nor'easter do? How will it pick up in the jet stream? Where's it going to go? Is it going to amplify a blocking pattern via warm air advection or will it blow up and go straight westward with heights around Iberia?

Still don't believe this will be anything of note myself as again I feel this is one of those winters that just never quite comes together despite the brilliant blocking. However, I love to be proven wrong of course.

As for the Twitter thing, it is frankly hilarious that once a model shows the cold, it is apparently the king then and we should completely disregard the mild solution. I would heed zero attention to people like them..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Don't get me wrong, so do I, but as you say, some are really just using this to draw in the audience and increase their profile.

I suspect similar, some posts scream at slight upgrades then go silent if something goes slightly wrong.

This is a tough one, it really could go either way, perhaps it's that old habits die hard but the fact the ECM jumped on board holds alot of weight for me. Much more to it though.

Regardless, I can't say I'm expecting any real snow in the West. I'm happy with a few hard frosts and hopefully even a frost day, any snow would be a benefit.

I do hope I see snow settling this winter however, even if just for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Netweather's snow risk report runs off the GFS model and after updating for the 06z run there is a high probability of snow for most of Ireland on Friday evening!

It does, however my experience is that it's total rubbish. Even as a guide, it's next to useless.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

JCX BXC wrote: »
    It does, however my experience is that it's total rubbish. Even as a guide, it's next to useless.

I wouldn't necessarily call it rubbish. I often glance forecast on XC Weather, which is also GFS based, and it can be quite accurate (some of the time).

All models have there plus and minus and key is not to rely on one.

• Advertisement

I don't read NetWeather.

This old model comparison comes up every year. Suddenly the ECMWF is king again because it has finally picked up on what other models have already been showing.

Thats what I meant tbh
    The fv3 is 3rd in terms of verification stats
    Netweather is hopecaster infested
    Very confusing for the noobs
    Two is the same
    Nothing wrong with hope casting as long as you are clear that's what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

froog wrote: »
    i don't quite understand the 500hpa / Sea level pressure charts.

why are the colour gradients 480 to 600?

The colour gradients refer to the height (or geopotential) of the 500-hPa pressure level (in decameters, dam), so 520 = 5200 m). A bit like isobars on a surface chart, these gradient lines join points of equal 500-hPa geopotential. It shows where the upper lows and highs are.

For a good northeasterly we would like to see some upper high (yellow and orange) setting up somewhere between Svalbard and Greenland so that a surface high can set up and direct a northeasterly flow in our direction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Gonzo wrote: »
    Correct! Just looking at the GFS P now and it's much better and very similar to the ECM.

gfs-1-192.png?6

Yeah but the cold air keeps getting pushed it. Initially it was Friday now it’s Tuesday that you are looking at.

I don’t rely on that. Look at the soundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭almostthere12

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Yeah but the cold air keeps getting pushed it. Initially it was Friday now it’s Tuesday that you are looking at.

It hits the northern half of the country by Sunday afternoon so not that bad and it looks like the ECM is nearly identical in that regard.

Btw ECM is the only one predicting the deep cold for Poland someone on this thread or possibly the easterly thread mentioned a weather warning in place by the Polish met.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

I randomly selected Wednesday from the GFS P, the cold gets in on Sunday from that model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

It hits the northern half of the country by Sunday afternoon so not that bad and it looks like the ECM is nearly identical in that regard.

Btw ECM is the only one predicting the deep cold for Poland someone on this thread or possibly the easterly thread mentioned a weather warning in place by the Polish met.

Likewise a friend of mine in Berlin says the local weather forecasters are talking of deep cold from next week which I don't see on some of the models

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is some real divergence over the weekend with that low pressure over the low countries moving a little north on some models and making it a disruptor to a clean easterly flow. The Euro models in general are much better.

Will it stay that way? Time will tell.

I'm still confident though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The ECM 6z only goes to +90 but looks good even compared to 00z

06z:
    Image-from-iOS-3.png

00z:
    Image-from-iOS-4.png

Edited to update images

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Fixed your post

Netweather are no more rampers than here. The Models were showing significant cold at one stage and that is what both sites, there and here were emphasising. Most people on both forums like snow.

• Advertisement

Villain wrote: »

06z:
    Image-from-iOS-3.png

00z:
    Image-from-iOS-4.png

I can't see your screenshots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

GFS still showing a nice sprinkling of snow for friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

06z:
    Image-from-iOS-3.png

00z:
    Image-from-iOS-4.png

Is it just me or do these pictures not load on mobile? I like your input Villain and it's a pity I can't see the posts you share.

Netweather are no more rampers than here. The Models were showing significant cold at one stage and that is what both sites, there and here were emphasising. Most people on both forums like snow.
    They are a bit more rampey than here, it's why I prefer posting here tbh. That and the bias to the SE of England.

My current take is that the GFS is developing potential LP a little too much. Yesterday I personally called it for a very cold outbreak but even with changes in FI since, I'm still confident it will happen. Happy to be corrected though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Is it just me or do these pictures not load on mobile? I like your input Villain and it's a pity I can't see the posts you share.

The images load fine for me using Firefox on Android based smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

06z:
    Image-from-iOS-3.png

00z:
    Image-from-iOS-4.png

Have you got the SLP charts?

A more developed mild core there over the low countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

not loading for me on desktop on chrome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I've updated the images to use https so should work now hopefully.

Also Kermit

Image-from-iOS-6.png

Image-from-iOS-5.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement