Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

saving money at a savage rate, got a very pleasant surpise when i looked at bak balance the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

pottokblue wrote: »
    Spending more time outdoors watching flowers, birds and dogwalkers rather than indoors drinking and watching geegees...

I hear Birdwatch Ireland has doubled its membership over the past year.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Thanks to saving a fortune, I have built up a nice vinyl record collection from scratch since last March. Give me Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours', and Stevie Nicks' soothing voice over George "Maybe I like the misery" Lee any day of the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 postpandemic

Avoiding office politics is top of my list!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Avoiding office politics is top of my list!

Yes! And looking at the call coming in from the office gossip/ chatterbox/ time waster and thinking, "I'm just gonna pretend I'm not here" whereas in the office you cant put a paper bag over your head and do the same thing :)

• Advertisement

Saved a load on pet sitting services because I'm working from home now and can be with my dog during the day, take her for a walk at lunch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

lots of cons obviously but enjoying the slower pace of life to an extent.. time to smell the roses..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Better enjoy the next 6 weeks , the good times are coming to an end , i would think PUP will be cut by June. All vulnerable vaxxed by May then have to get country back to normal i would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Better enjoy the next 6 weeks , the good times are coming to an end , i would think PUP will be cut by June. All vulnerable vaxxed by May then have to get country back to normal i would think.

How are these good times ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I am not sure if this is a positive but several people in my rural area still have their outdoor Christmas lights on.
    And I hear a few saying they still have their trees up.

:)

A bit weird to see trees and decorations still up in a town in late Jan.
    Both sad and weird.

• Advertisement

enjoying watching TV series' on a damp Sunday in Jan ... silver lining.. :)

saving money at a savage rate, got a very pleasant surpise when i looked at bak balance the other day.

How much was displayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

sporina wrote: »
    enjoying watching TV series' on a damp Sunday in Jan ... silver lining.. :)

Just finished a short series on Netflix “informer “ excellent stuff

Just finished a short series on Netflix “informer “ excellent stuff

thanks - must check it out..

finished Bodyguard.. i think it tried to be too clever but mayb thats just me.. started Unbelievable - only watched 1 episode - will continue - i am intrigued

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I can't see things being back to normal by May.
    I wouldn't even totally count on indoor dining being back by then....never mind pubs.

I am going to say dog walks :) really enjoying more of them and the fact they are less rushed

gmisk wrote: »
    I can't see things being back to normal by May.
    I wouldn't even totally count on indoor dining being back by then....never mind pubs.

I am going to say dog walks :) really enjoying more of them and the fact they are less rushed

I agree. There's a woman in work who is just desperate to get not just herself but everyone else back in (so we can all listen to her talking rubbish all day) but every time she calls she insists things are "going back to normal soon". Last week she told me we will "all be called back in on 5th March". I don't even contradict her, she obviously needs to be able to look forward to it. But the first few times she did it she caught me off guard! :D

I love being able to walk herself at lunchtime, still feels like such a privilege even after almost a year. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Working from home has been the main positive for me over the past year, and the fact that it is likely to become increasingly normal even after the vaccination programme is completed.

I know some employers and managers are champing at the bit to get everyone back in and regain their little kingdoms of power, but the pressure will be on for a lot more flexibility after all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CatalogJinx

Not a massive fan of lockdowns at all so I've made myself sit down and identify the positives!

-permanent state job and working from home since last march.
    -work has gone very quiet with pandemic and I've only been redeployed for 2 days overall so more time for hobbies etc (who knew how fun knitting is).
    -more time to catch up with nieces and nephews, albeit on zoom.
    -no traffic jams, grrrrrr
    -wad of cash for a deposit and building day on day.
    -loads of annual leave to carry over for later in the year when things might be a bit looser.
    -exploring parts of town on foot which I've never ventured into before.
    -having plausible deniability when you pretend not to recognise someone because of their mask.
    -there still seems to be a nice bit of camaraderie around, people looking out for eachother.
    -all my friends are public servants / teachers so there's always someone to chat to if you get lonely during day.
    -my non PS friends are all happy enough on the PUP for the timebeing and I'm proud of our social welfare system to look after our most vulnerable I suppose.

(Despite all that, PLEASE bring back normality!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Hooked

The positives?

That after a positive Covid diagnosis, I'm like the 99.91% of under 65's in this county (183 deaths from 188,923 cases last time I counted)...

I'm perfectly fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Biggest positive so far is my guitar playing has improved :D

• Advertisement

Hooked wrote: »
    The positives?

That after a positive Covid diagnosis, I'm like the 99.91% of under 65's in this county (183 deaths from 188,923 cases last time I counted)...

I'm perfectly fine!

Not your maths however, given its 215 from 170,065, or 99.87%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Hooked

Not your maths however, given its 215 from 170,065, or 99.87%

Not sure where you're getting your figures from...
    but regardless... I'd still take those odds!

My car insurance renewal came in 20% lower than last year before I even looked for any discount or alternative quotes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

There should be smashing weather between now and June! ;)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Pepsirebel

2m social distancing.....hate when folks are in my personal space eg. Queuing in supermarkets & the person behind is up my jaxy 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Listening to birdsong and reconnecting with the urban nature in my 5km radius!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,978 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I've discovered my library's borrowbox service: very well set up, decent range of ebooks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I don't think vaccine roll-out has a hope of outpacing the numbers rising when n the schools re-open and other restrictions lift

But, for one day anyway, it's great to see this

https://twitter.com/COVID19DataIE/status/1365630765078368257

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

A big happy poster on Reddit Ireland with a roundup of positive, recent news

First off, % positive is down significantly: https://twitter.com/RiochtConor2/status/1365694130815442945?s=20

Next up, antigen testing rollout is progressing which will assist with outbreak prevention in many settings: https://twitter.com/DonnellyStephen/status/1365713301280329730?s=20

J&J was approved by the FDA which is positive for our approval:
    https://www.sciencenews.org/article/covid-19-johnson-and-johnson-vaccine-one-shot-fda-authorization

And j&j did well against variants:
    https://twitter.com/Coronavirusgoo1/status/1364601812851036163?s=20

A bunch of studies made the rounds on Friday show high vaccine efficacy: https://twitter.com/Coronavirusgoo1/status/1365793360242479107?s=20

The vaccines also cut transmissibility: https://twitter.com/Coronavirusgoo1/status/1365355829604601856?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Dolly Parton gets her 1st shot vaccine say no more

To the tune of Jolene, Parton sang: “Vaccine, vaccine, vaccine, vaccine, I’m begging of you, please don’t hesitate. Vaccine, vaccine, vaccine, vaccine, because once you’re dead, then that’s a bit too late

Parton added: “I just want to say to all of you cowards out there – don’t be such a chicken squat. Get out there and get your shot.”

Advertisement