Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Another few positives; due to increased savings we bought a pretty new car the other week. Also, I love how quiet the morning walk to work is, how places are quiet where I got for lunch and how there is no evening rush in the gym.

My wife goes to our local gym where visits are limited to 1 hour sessions and there is no access to showers or changing rooms. You arrive in your gym gear and leave with it and take a shower at home. She swears she likes it better like that, because she's in and out more quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,256 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Went to the cinema the other night and I must say, the social distancing involved was very nice. No people around you munching in your ear, no rustling of papers, no lad who has brought someone on a date and put too much Joop on.

Bliss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Fingers crossed the new restrictions in Dublin will put and end to the recording of any further episodes of Fairly Sh1tty. Disappointed to see it return a few weeks back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Are there any more stories about the benefits to the environment due to Covid?
    I remember back in Spring they were on about how clean the canals in Venice were and how Europe's air quality has improved dramatically.
    Are there any more reports like that? Greenhouse gas emissions must be way down globally.
    I would imagine the big reduction in air travel continues to improve air quality around the world.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I remember back in Spring they were on about how clean the canals in Venice were and how Europe's air quality has improved dramatically.
    Are there any more reports like that? Greenhouse gas emissions must be way down globally.
    I would imagine the big reduction in air travel continues to improve air quality around the world.
    Either China have dramatically changed what they were doing back in February or they're still under some sort of lockdown.
    529335.jpg

I don't follow, what are these numbers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Well definitely there's more clarity in the night sky.
    I've never seen Mars so red/orange and its there without having to search.
    It just pops into the night sky after dark.

Living in the Burren I've a lot of scope for adventure and creativity.
    I go out at nightime and I've an amazing walk which brings me to an old ringfort, and when there's no sound in the sky or the roads are quite.
    You can actually hear the animals rustling through the hazelwoods peppered around the valleys near Fr Ted's house.

The stars are way easier to see and I've bought 3 pairs of binoculars to enjoy it.

Theres a nice population of foxes too, and an owl who follows me up the booreen, he or she freaked me out a few times.
    Hovering over my head, and they're so silent.

Lahinch last night had a spectacular display of porpoises chasing palagic fish.

I suppose there's a lot of advantages for people who made the decision before all this to give up on the rat race and live a more simple life.
    Just have a regular job in a hardware shop, grocery shop or something similar and had family inheritance and just buy a house outright and give the bird to the slavery to the cooperate world.

I made that decision is 2005 luckily I had inheritance and bought a house with it and took on a low paid job in the public sector and worked my up through the incremental scale.

While my friends and aquaintences were caught up with the money and buying multiple houses, and some dabbled with Charly and danced with the devil.

I used to think about how would I cope with hard times if there was a world war and had to buckle down.
    In a way this is similar, and I'm content enough with my choices so far.

It doesn't make me better than anyone else, it just makes me feel better about the choice I made all those years ago...

Never married either, another personal choice, but I think now it would be nice to settle down if the right person came along.

So my past decisions worked out well for me to be able for this corona thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

nthclare wrote: »
    Well definitely there's more clarity in the night sky.
    I've never seen Mars so red/orange and its there without having to search.
    It just pops into the night sky after dark.

Living in the Burren I've a lot of scope for adventure and creativity.
    So my past decisions worked out well for me to be able for this corona thing...

Happy for you. Enjoyed that. Good read

A lot of people out running and walking this November. I've never seen so many runners with head torches.
    We'll definitely be a fitter and more hygienic nation at the end of this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭vrusinov

I dunno, I'm one of those people and my morning runs are quickly compensated with after-work beer after talking to my screen all day (video meetings).

So now I have strong legs and impressive beer gut.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

China are working on corona 20 so be good to see the back of 19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The amount of appreciation we will have for all we took for granted will be fecking immense

Everything from hugging people you love, to gigs, to getting The Ride after a date again

The appreciation and gratitude we'll have to do things like 2019 will be sustained. You'd have to be a full on pessimist to think otherwise (and yes, I am aware of where I am online ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I have learnt how incrediably resilant I am, like an old oak tree and yet still able to flexibly bend like branches with the wind. I have travelled far this life time to come to this point and I am grateful to the many teachings life has thrown my way and the mentors that I have met along the way. Humbled as a mere speck in a majestic universe.

And yes my spelling is still atrocious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

That the media have completely exposed themselves as liars, propagandists and fear peddlers and our Govt offiicials have exposed themselves as wannabe dictators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Normally I'd be seeing huge queues of gobsh1tes sitting in traffic jams outside my house heading to dundrum town centre to do their Xmas shopping. So much so that all journeys would need military precision in planning to get there in time. This year... It's excellent. Can jump in the car at the drop of a hat and go anywhere I like inside 5km. Thanks covid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

No more Sunday night fear.

A childhood memory from 1970s Galway was staring up at airplanes and wondering where they were going.

Weirdly it has become a novelty again.

I would contend that Christmas is not as 'vulgar' as it had become over the last few years.
    There seems to be less consumerism and aggression and stress around the towns/shops this year.
    In the last few years before Covid I experienced a lot of aggression, anger, road rage, impatience etc from people who would walk over you to find a bargain...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

My job is a 30 minute walk away from the house. I have just been told i'll be working from home in january.

That means in the first week of january i wont have to endure groups of overweight fat women power walking (well trying to anyway!) on the footpaths and not moving out of my way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Dickie10

never taking an impromtu sesh or the beauty of it for granted again

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

A childhood memory from 1970s Galway was staring up at airplanes and wondering where they were going.

Weirdly it has become a novelty again.

If you have a smart phone with a data package, you don't need to wonder any more, an app called flightradar24 will tell you about a very high percentage of the flights you see at high level, in terms of the aircraft type, the operator, where it's come from, and where it's going to. It used to be free, there might now be a small charge for the lowest level of use, and it does make it much easier to see what's flying over you now.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Not sure if this is the right place to post this thought, hopefully, a positive benefit of Covid, and many pubs being closed has been a reduction in the number of drivers on the road with too much drink taken. I might be wrong on this, but I'd like to hope that it's been one positive result of an otherwise dire year.

In the same vein, I'm sure that the hospitals will have recorded a significant fall in the numbers attending A & E at weekends as a result of excessive alcohol and the consequences. That has to be a good thing too.

There's for sure a significant drop in the number of flu cases this year, which will be partly a result of the forced use of masks in many places, maybe there's a lesson there for the future, not so much mandatory masks for all, but a guideline that if you're hawking and spluttering, maybe a mask to keep it to yourself might be a worthwhile idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I have missed out on Christmas Eve night drinks and opening of presents at home since I had my own kids and I’m in my own house. Covid taught us to zoom so they stuck me on the telly for an hour last night to join in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Homer

Not sure if this is the right place to post this thought, hopefully, a positive benefit of Covid, and many pubs being closed has been a reduction in the number of drivers on the road with too much drink taken. I might be wrong on this, but I'd like to hope that it's been one positive result of an otherwise dire year.

In the same vein, I'm sure that the hospitals will have recorded a significant fall in the numbers attending A & E at weekends as a result of excessive alcohol and the consequences. That has to be a good thing too.

There's for sure a significant drop in the number of flu cases this year, which will be partly a result of the forced use of masks in many places, maybe there's a lesson there for the future, not so much mandatory masks for all, but a guideline that if you're hawking and spluttering, maybe a mask to keep it to yourself might be a worthwhile idea.

Weirdly, more people have died on the roads this year so far than 2019. I would have thought the numbers would be down too for a number of reasons but that’s not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

People get pissed at home too. Pub being open or shut is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

People get pissed at home too. Pub being open or shut is irrelevant.

I wouldn't bother. That poster wants to shut down discussion on the reopening of pubs thread. A classic example of "its not for me so it shouldn't be for anyone" taken to the next level by not wanting others to discuss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,512 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I wouldn't bother. That poster wants to shut down discussion on the reopening of pubs thread. A classic example of "its not for me so it shouldn't be for anyone" taken to the next level by not wanting others to discuss it.

I don't care what that poster's agenda is. As mentioned quite correctly above there's been more fatalities this year.

It does seem to be one of the most relaxing Christmases in a long time. A lot less pressure to do stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

More people killed on the roads in 2020 than 2019 so any decrease in drink driving if there has been at all has been made up in other areas.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/1218/1185296-road-deaths/

You are as usual so wrong, my suggestion for shutting down the reopen wet pubs discussion thread is that for at least the next 2 months, it's completely totally and utterly irrelevant, regardless of how many people come onto boards protesting that the statistics about hospitality are wrong, and all the other spurious and plainly wrong objections they post.

NPHET are not going to even think about opening them again until a significant number of people are fully vaccinated, AND the number of daily cases has fallen by a very significant number. In the meantime, we really don't need some of the absurd trolling and worse that has become the norm in the wet pub thread, there has been almost zero discussion for at least a month now.

Contrary to popular opinion, I like visiting some pubs, but until it is safe to do so, I won't be, and there are some pubs around my area that it will be a very long time before I visit them again, because the operator/landlord has demonstrated a complete and reckless disregard for the rules that they were supposed to be operating under, with the inevitable result that their premises have been responsible for superspreader events that have then taken up to two months to get down to normal numbers again. Why would I want to support a place that has such a low regard for the people that it needs to attract to survive at all?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Contrary to popular opinion, I like visiting some pubs, but until it is safe to do so, I won't be, and there are some pubs around my area that it will be a very long time before I visit them again, because the operator/landlord has demonstrated a complete and reckless disregard for the rules that they were supposed to be operating under, with the inevitable result that their premises have been responsible for superspreader events that have then taken up to two months to get down to normal numbers again. Why would I want to support a place that has such a low regard for the people that it needs to attract to survive at all?

I think motorbikes are cool but I also think they are dangerous and hence don't have one and don't use them to get around even though I would probably enjoy using one. Dosen't mean I think motorbikes should be banned. If you think pubs are dangerous then don't go simple as.

Ah lads, not this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Hodger

I haven,t being in a pub or being a night out since March I miss not being able to go to pubs properly. I don,t miss pubs for the alcohol aspect ( As I neither drink nor smoke/ straight edge ) but I sure do miss pubs for the social aspect of it all having a good night out this night this time last year St Stephen,s night I had a great night out good local gig versus St Stephen,s night this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

It does seem to be one of the most relaxing Christmases in a long time. A lot less pressure to do stuff.

Not to mention a LOT cheaper.

Didn’t have to purchase a load of presents this year. Christmas shopping too half an hour in the supermarket and 15 minutes in another store for the neighbours. Ok one major present for herself and a phone call to Hermes and we were all set.

The kids were quite happy being by themselves, family in Ireland missed out (apart from Mam).

I did miss the family at home and we missed our winter vacation home. Hopefully, with this vaccine coming we can get back to normal and see everyone at home again.

You are as usual so wrong, my suggestion for shutting down the reopen wet pubs discussion thread is that for at least the next 2 months, it's completely totally and utterly irrelevant, regardless of how many people come onto boards protesting that the statistics about hospitality are wrong, and all the other spurious and plainly wrong objections they post.

NPHET are not going to even think about opening them again until a significant number of people are fully vaccinated, AND the number of daily cases has fallen by a very significant number. In the meantime, we really don't need some of the absurd trolling and worse that has become the norm in the wet pub thread, there has been almost zero discussion for at least a month now.

What do you mean by 'as usual" ?

I respect your opinion on the pubs and how you feel towards them. I don't respect any call for threads to be closed because someone doesn't think the topic is relevant or that its full of trolls. If you think there are such posts then report them and let the mods deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You should report anyone who is dragging you in to threads you have no interest in being in. It's unfair on you to have to put up with that.

Dark forces must be at play for this to be happening but it is 2020.

We get great weather during the strict lockdowns. The last few days have been magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

We get great weather during the strict lockdowns. The last few days have been magical.

All I'm missing is few inches of snow tho. But yeah weather is great, had to wear sunglasses today when out with the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭French Toast

Price of fuel took an almighty drop there for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Price of fuel took an almighty drop there for a while.

How come it's on the rise again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Not having to commute into work on these cold mornings is a positive

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭French Toast

How come it's on the rise again?

Dunno, normality returning to places that were previously at a stand still I'd imagine.

I am not sure if this is a positive but several people in my rural area still have their outdoor Christmas lights on.
    And I hear a few saying they still have their trees up.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Dickie10

jesus this thread dying a death, i think that says it all about positves

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,496 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I am not sure if this is a positive but several people in my rural area still have their outdoor Christmas lights on.

Think there's a campaign to try and get towns to keep them up through January to try and cheer things up a bit

We've left all our solar powered ones up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

We still have our tree up but that's more to do with apathy and laziness on our part :D

My positive is I've gone back to work but because I'm working from home, I can manage childcare arrangements much better and don't need to go through the heartbreak of leaving my still very small baby in crèche five days a week. I'm so grateful for that.

Beasty wrote: »
    Think there's a campaign to try and get towns to keep them up through January to try and cheer things up a bit

We've left all our solar powered ones up

I totally missed that campaign. My lights are still up in a tree so they will be going on again tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1351481010727362560/photo/1
    Unimpeded sprint/jog route down our city's main street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Spending more time outdoors watching flowers, birds and dogwalkers rather than indoors drinking and watching geegees...

Advertisement