Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what are the positives surrounding the Covid19 coronavirus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Coronation Street will run out of episodes in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Love Island 2020 cancelled!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Exercise does not seem squeezed in or forced anymore. People are running, walking and cycling for fun now and enjoying their surroundings more. We will certainly have a fitter and leaner nation in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Coronation Street will run out of episodes in June.

Classic episodes of Emmerdale and Coronation Street from 1995 will air!

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-vintage-coronation-street-and-emmerdale-to-air-as-soaps-reveal-when-they-will-run-out-of-episodes-11982688

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Identity politics seems to have tamped down a bit, thank fook. There’s a lot less articles about it mainly because the current crisis has highlighted how frivolous and navel-gazing it all is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Muinteoir Cliona on RTEs school Hub. An-deas ar fad.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Carol25

Not sure if this has been posted here already or not, but getting to know one's locality and neighbours. People stop and want to chat now, are friendly and helpful. The rat race has been paused and people are taking a breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anxious school kids that perform badly during exams - might have a glimmer of hope this year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

i am feeling a lot of positives tbh.. even though part of me feels bad for saying that - seeing as so many have and are suffering as a result of it..

I am well - as are my loved ones,.. I don't have money worries..

While I miss my family and friends I can talk to them on the phone and via video call etc..
    There are a lot of pass times I miss but I now have time to engage in a lot of hobbies which I could never find time for before.. walking - with my eyes more open I find.. listening to more interesting podcasts, watching certain movies, reading more...

Chores.. admin etc..

But most of all I am loving the peace of it - before this life was so busy.. I didn't like it.. I have realised that I prefer a slower pace of life.. and quiet time..

It has also made me see and experience a kinder side of human nature,. in some instances, that is nice to see..

I would like to think that when things go back to pre virus states, that I will manage to keep some of the positives - and that others will do same..

We shall see..

For now, I am enjoying being in the now

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

Main positives are I have, after 2 months, completely eliminated my bad habit of nose picking and nail biting ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You finally find out women's natural hair colour.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The Rise of robots
    "Roaming 'robodog' politely tells Singapore park goers to keep apart

SINGAPORE (Reuters) - Far from barking its orders, a robot dog enlisted by Singapore authorities to help curb coronavirus infections in the city-state politely asks joggers and cyclists to stay apart.
    "
    - link.

Hopefully version 2 will not be Robocop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

You finally find out women's natural hair colour.

Think that's Grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Today was the first day (I'm think) since early March that the most thanked post within 24 Hours on Boards was for the Boards Weather update. I think most (if not all) days since, the top thanked post was for a Covid-19 related post.

Very glad to see you back on top M.T. Cranium.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Remember when all we needed to worry about were storms and the weather warning system ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yep, these days weather forecasters warn us to stay apart...strange times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Remember when all we needed to worry about were storms and the weather warning system ;)

Imagine what we will do when we are invaded by aliens Independence Day style??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Not being in the office with extremely annoying people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Not being in the office with extremely annoying people.

This for me too. I have never been so relaxed. The thoughts of having to make eye contact with certain people again doesn't bear thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

This for me too. I have never been so relaxed. The thoughts of having to make eye contact with certain people again doesn't bear thinking about.

Around 25 - 30% of people have zero self awareness and don't realise how irritating to Co workers they are or don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Never been so chilled in my life.

Not missing working one little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

miss my mates and family but not missing all the time pressures associated with regular life... loving being able to just enjoy my own time.. taking time for self care... feel more rested.. brighter - more fresh..

I am talking to loved ones on the phone a lot - i find it bridges the gap..

but I am loving the slower pace of life for sure...

and loving the low maintenance.. not having to get all dollied up for nights out etc..

would love a manicure though lol (nails grow so fast and hard - difficult for me to file) grr - 1st world probs..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

no cars in popular walking areas, one near me is the walk down to the poolbeg lighthouse, the road that goes around the powerstation and down to the pier walk, is now just a nice space for walkers and cyclists , they should consider closing it permanently or at the weekend even and get rid of the car parks.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Not missing the stench of daysul in the air at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

Quiet nights (inner city living) much less noise from traffic and drunks. Sleeping much better, able to leave the window open at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Managed to save a good bit of money for the first time ever really. Appreciate that I am very lucky to still have a job on full salary and understand a lot of people aren’t that lucky. But I have managed to also pay off a stupidly large overdraft I took out about two years ago which was basically to fund a social life I realistically couldn’t afford and have struggled to get out of the red most months since. Lesson learned!

Also I’ve quite enjoyed the easy pace. Before lockdown like many I was burning the candle at both ends- trying to rush out the door at work for stuff on in the evenings, living for the weekend, counting down the days to pay day, weddings, leaving dos, family events....

For me anyways its been a chance to hit the reboot button.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Haven't had to do any ironing in almost 2 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Delighted the door to door salesmen (electricity/gas/phone/charity etc) has gone for now. Now I know that when the doorbell rings I’m 100% guaranteed that it’s another amazon delivery instead of having to tell the usual salesmen that I have zero interest in whatever they are trying to sell! What a time to be alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

smeal wrote: »
    Managed to save a good bit of money for the first time ever really. Appreciate that I am very lucky to still have a job on full salary and understand a lot of people aren’t that lucky. But I have managed to also pay off a stupidly large overdraft I took out about two years ago which was basically to fund a social life I realistically couldn’t afford and have struggled to get out of the red most months since. Lesson learned!

Also I’ve quite enjoyed the easy pace. Before lockdown like many I was burning the candle at both ends- trying to rush out the door at work for stuff on in the evenings, living for the weekend, counting down the days to pay day, weddings, leaving dos, family events....

For me anyways its been a chance to hit the reboot button.

Same! I just cleared a 2k balance on my credit card and most of a personal loan. I will be debt free tomorrow 2 weeks when I make my final payment on that :) Between petrol and pet sitter alone I probably saved 150 a week, then parking, the odd coffee and sandwich before lectures at night - all adds up. With the shops closed and nowhere to go there hasn't really been much to spend money on except food!

Being able to work at home for the last 2 months of pregnancy has been a blessing I could not have even dreamed of - the flexibility, lunchtime naps, taking the dog out if I have a spare half hour etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭CFlat

It's just fantastic to see businesses opening again. A bit of normality coming back into our lives.

Advertisement