Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Legalmate wrote: »
    Who do people consider the ‘big training firms’ these days? Say top 10?

My sibling is looking for guidance as to who to apply for.

By number of practicing certs:

https://www.irishlegal.com/article/arthur-cox-tops-chart-for-most-practising-solicitors-in-ireland

The idea of 'Big 10' will be less and less relevant with the entrance of international firms like DLA, Dechert, Dentons, etc., when they pay better.

Hopefully it'll push up salaries for the rest of us. The only reason the MCs offer 6 figure 1PQE salaries in London is because of the US firms.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

IgoPAP wrote: »

https://www.irishlegal.com/article/arthur-cox-tops-chart-for-most-practising-solicitors-in-ireland

The idea of 'Big 10' will be less and less relevant with the entrance of international firms like DLA, Dechert, Dentons, etc., when they pay better.

Any idea where Fieldfisher would rank among this? Assume they're not on it as they're new in Ireland

NewFe1 wrote: »
    Any idea where Fieldfisher would rank among this? Assume they're not on it as they're new in Ireland

The raw rankings only take number of practicing certs into consideration. It's not very accurate as it doesn't take into account factors such as solvency, profitability, client base, etc. The likes of behemoths like Dechert, DLA, PS, Fieldfisher, would rank much higher.

I wouldn't worry about these rankings it doesn't really mean anything. If the firm has a good reputation and pays a decent salary that's all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Legalmate

The raw rankings only take number of practicing certs into consideration. It's not very accurate as it doesn't take into account factors such as solvency, profitability, client base, etc. The likes of behemoths like Dechert, DLA, PS, Fieldfisher, would rank much higher.

I wouldn't worry about these rankings it doesn't really mean anything. If the firm has a good reputation and pays a decent salary that's all you need.

IgoPAP you seem to be very clued in. Who are PS?

Putting aside the new firms - who to the best of my knowledge offer few TCs - who are the best 8-10 firms to apply to?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Legalmate wrote: »
    Who do people consider the ‘big training firms’ these days? Say top 10?

My sibling is looking for guidance as to who to apply for.

My advice is to apply for all and any training contracts that are advertised. There’s no point closing yourself off to other firms just because you like the idea of saying you work in one of the big 10 once you’re a solicitor you’re a solicitor and where you trained becomes less important in some aspects.

Some people are suited to the bigger firms and others are not and will hate it so my advice would to identify what area of law you’re interested in and apply to those firms !

• Advertisement

They’re not really new per say they merged with a big Irish firm a few years ago so I think they’re in the top 10

My advice is to apply for all and any training contracts that are advertised. There’s no point closing yourself off to other firms just because you like the idea of saying you work in one of the big 10 once you’re a solicitor you’re a solicitor and where you trained becomes less important in some aspects.

Some people are suited to the bigger firms and others are not and will hate it so my advice would to identify what area of law you’re interested in and apply to those firms !

This is good advice! There's some excellent boutique firms in Dublin - especially in litigation - where you might end up getting better hands on training than the big outfits.

I know yes but McDowell Purcell wouldn't have been big enough to be on the list

Oh I was under the impression it was for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lawbloke

No... I'm just curious as to where Fieldfisher ranks among the Irish firms now given they've become a lot bigger here since the merger.

Tier 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

Oh I was under the impression it was for some reason

Sorry yes you are correct, they are. I completely missed that when reading the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Corplawtrainee

Hopefully it'll push up salaries for the rest of us. The only reason the MCs offer 6 figure 1PQE salaries in London is because of the US firms.

Any idea what Dentons/DLA are offering Salary-wise. Are they the same rate as in London? Heard that they were offering big pay packets to poach partners, but nothing beyond that.

Similarly waiting for the U.S-effect over here, but probably won’t be for a while. Took Freshfields more than 10 years of money law salaries to finally budge. They might try increasing benefits, but not even sure what that might include.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 biglawhead420

Any idea what Dentons/DLA are offering Salary-wise. Are they the same rate as in London? Heard that they were offering big pay packets to poach partners, but nothing beyond that.

Similarly waiting for the U.S-effect over here, but probably won’t be for a while. Took Freshfields more than 10 years of money law salaries to finally budge. They might try increasing benefits, but not even sure what that might include.

From what I hear they are all matching the 45-50k for trainee then 70-80k for NQ.

It is only Dechert, as far as I know, who is paying over the 100K mark.

I have heard from one source that Walkers pay 85K NQ but I have never met anyone who works there.

I never trust what people say they’re getting paid haha from my experience most of them lie and inflate it haha

Would be good if firms would just say it on the grad website

One guy bragged to my friend he was going to be getting 50k in his first year in one of the big firms and another friend who had a contract for the same year with the same firm said no it’s 35k

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caius97

Ive been offered a TC with a medium-sized firm and the starting salary is 23k (which rises through every 'milestone' of the traineeship). Blackhall fees also paid. Very happy as corporate isn't for me and will be mostly working on family/medical negligence stuff

caius97 wrote: »
    Ive been offered a TC with a medium-sized firm and the starting salary is 23k (which rises through every 'milestone' of the traineeship). Blackhall fees also paid. Very happy as corporate isn't for me and will be mostly working on family/medical negligence stuff

Congrats!

Thank you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭AlexTG356

Has anyone done the DACB first stage video interview yet? Would be interested in the layout. Presume it's the same questions as any other these interviews.

Oh congrats!!! I’ve always found family law and medical negligence very interesting it’s a great area !!

Oh congrats!!! I’ve always found family law and medical negligence very interesting it’s a great area !!

Yeh same! Excited to start

When do you start ?? Do you get to work with them before going to blackhall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Congratulations! When do you start!

I am the same, I would prefer a smaller firm. the place I am interning in told me on Friday they will offer me a training contract, to say I am relieved is an understatement, 1 less thing to worry about!

awsah wrote: »
    Congratulations! When do you start!

I am the same, I would prefer a smaller firm. the place I am interning in told me on Friday they will offer me a training contract, to say I am relieved is an understatement, 1 less thing to worry about!

Omg congrats!

I haven’t got the start date yet because of COVID, but I’ll deffo be working before going to blackhall - it’s part of the contract. Also, I haven’t done any FE1s yet so won’t be going to Blackhall until Dec21 or sep 22!

Omg congrats!

I haven’t got the start date yet because of COVID, but I’ll deffo be working before going to blackhall - it’s part of the contract. Also, I haven’t done any FE1s yet so won’t be going to Blackhall until Dec21 or sep 22!

I am hoping I will be ready to start Blackhall in September, if not il be looking at Hybrid Dec/Jan also!

I am hoping I will be ready to start Blackhall in September, if not il be looking at Hybrid Dec/Jan also!

I was hoping for September but the firm said that have someone going in so I’ll be sep 22

I had thought about the hybrid but don’t think I’d like it

I was hoping for September but the firm said that have someone going in so I’ll be sep 22

I had thought about the hybrid but don’t think I’d like it

Ya I don't really like the idea either but I am impatient and just want to get the time started on my training!

Ya I don't really like the idea either but I am impatient and just want to get the time started on my training!

I just don’t like the sound of it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭FE1Rookie

Where are people finding trainee solicitor job postings? There is never really any posts for TCs on legalvacancies.ie and I see a lot of people finding and discussing applications being open for places. Where are you finding this info? Is it directly on each firms website and you're just keeping track of it? LinkedIn?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

MJ Staines won't be taking on any interns because of covid. Not sure if anyone else noticed this update so posting here.

I'm certain they didn't have that on their careers section on their site, and that it said applications open Feb 1st (tomorrow)

FE1Rookie wrote: »
    Where are people finding trainee solicitor job postings? There is never really any posts for TCs on legalvacancies.ie and I see a lot of people finding and discussing applications being open for places. Where are you finding this info? Is it directly on each firms website and you're just keeping track of it? LinkedIn?

I found a good few on the law society vacancies website but then the rest is just researching the firms and going onto their graduate website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Jeremiah25

Has anyone completed the DACB recorded interview or know what questions to expect? TIA :D

Advertisement