Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Fe1user5555

Hi guys hope everyone’s getting on well! Does anyone know what the usual increase in salary is between trainee and NQ?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Hi guys hope everyone’s getting on well! Does anyone know what the usual increase in salary is between trainee and NQ?

Every firm is different tbh but some go from 50-60/65k and some go even higher

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Every firm is different tbh but some go from 50-60/65k and some go even higher

Any idea what the average nqt earns in a smaller practice?

channing90 wrote: »
    Any idea what the average nqt earns in a smaller practice?

I only have knowledge from where I worked but I’m not sure what you mean by small

When you look it
    Up it says average trainee is 26500

The new qualified in my firm that I used to work in was on around 35000 but it was a very small firm

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭T.Chunter164

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Seconded. Always ask for feedback. You'll never go wrong.

I interviewed with a top 5 firm last year and when I asked for feedback I got a very cold email saying feedback isn't provided but that I should apply next round... I have never once gotten feedback after a failed interview so maybe im unlucky with my emails!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Corplawtrainee

Is anybody here considering sitting/already sat the NY Bar? Wouldn’t mind giving it a shot, but think I’m a bit short on law credits since I did a dual degree.

Do you have any idea if the modules completed on PPC would count towards the credit requirement?

Thanks

I got through a couple of group AC’s with a top 5 and U.K. firm.

It will likely be a commercial topic, but tbh it could be on almost anything. The thing they want to see is that you’re a normal person and are comfortable working with people you just met. It’s more a test of your interpersonal skills than intelligence.

From my experience, you don’t have to show of how smart you are and make stand out points, that’s for the final interview. Focus on making a few solid points, then make sure you’re getting everyone else involved.

People who take up all the speaking time and those who barely say anything are immediately out, so focus on not being one of them.

Practical Tips:

Say people’s names as much as you can.

Try and bounce off people’s idea I.e “I think x made a really good point, what if we did this as well”.

If you see that someone is struggling and hasn’t got a word in, ask them for their opinion or include them in some way. They’re likely not getting through but it casts you in a good light.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Re: DAC Beachcroft Interview - Hi there, I did it last week. There is honestly nothing to worry about. You can rerecord your answers. I think there were about 3 questions from memory? Nothing out of the blue at all. I had it fully finished in a number of minutes. Plus there is an opportunity for you to record and listen back to yourself at the start so no need to worry about mic/camera issues. That's all I can remember. Definitely wasn't difficult - so no need to worry! Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭AlexTG356

When you submit the A & L summer internship application do you have to do the aptitude tests straight away or do they give you a few days? Don't feel like looking at a bunch of shapes and the patterns between them at 9pm at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fedone

AlexTG356 wrote: »
    When you submit the A & L summer internship application do you have to do the aptitude tests straight away or do they give you a few days? Don't feel like looking at a bunch of shapes and the patterns between them at 9pm at night.

They give you maximum 5 days after you submit your application to complete the tests. They send reminder emails too which are handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Has anyone heard or themselves got thru to the interview stage with Staines or just POFs so far ?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Group interviews should be fired into the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Does anyone who was an Access Student know of the support available for securing a TC? I just got the good news that I have been accepted into the program and I'm really struggling at this stage in becoming a solicitor.

I can see the seminars and such that they offer but does anyone with prior experience know if it was of much help?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FE1Nov20

jus_me wrote: »
    Has anyone heard or themselves got thru to the interview stage with Staines or just POFs so far ?

Still nothing from them .. i think I give up at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LeGal97

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Does anyone who was an Access Student know of the support available for securing a TC? I just got the good news that I have been accepted into the program and I'm really struggling at this stage in becoming a solicitor.

I can see the seminars and such that they offer but does anyone with prior experience know if it was of much help?

TBH I don't think so.

I was accepted awhile ago, and I still haven't secured anything.

I emailed wondering about resources available to help me when applying for jobs but I didn't receive anything back, so I am under the impression its more useful once you get a TC and go to Blackhall.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FE1Nov20

Re DAC Beachcroft - does anyone reckon that they are recruiting a number of trainees and not just 1 trainee ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Diamond_Hands

LeGal97 wrote: »
    TBH I don't think so.

I was accepted awhile ago, and I still haven't secured anything.

I emailed wondering about resources available to help me when applying for jobs but I didn't receive anything back, so I am under the impression its more useful once you get a TC and go to Blackhall.

Is it worth applying for the Access Programme if you already have a Training Contract? My firm is going to cover all of costs and fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭FE1Rookie

Is it worth applying for the Access Programme if you already have a Training Contract? My firm is going to cover all of costs and fees.

If your firm is covering all fees you don't need a grant

FE1Rookie wrote: »
    If your firm is covering all fees you don't need a grant

I was just wondering if there any additional benefits that the Access Programme might provide as I am eligible for it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LeGal97

I was just wondering if there any additional benefits that the Access Programme might provide as I am eligible for it anyways.

Not everyone who is eligible gets a place, you must do submit an application and do an interview. I'm not sure how many spots there are on each round. I think this round is full so you'd have to wait until the summer and see does it open for new applicants.

The main benefits are Blackhall and FE1 fees covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

FE1Nov20 wrote: »
    Re DAC Beachcroft - does anyone reckon that they are recruiting a number of trainees and not just 1 trainee ?

I would say more than 1

For those training with big firms: does anybody have any advice of how one should go about with picking rotations?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

If the Matheson deadline is the third, does that mean we need to submit our application by midnight tonight or midnight tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭AA247

If the Matheson deadline is the third, does that mean we need to submit our application by midnight tonight or midnight tomorrow?

I always struggle with that 😅 it’s 23.59 tomorrow though, I got an email reminder to finish it.

Spent hours on it today and then got to the ‘tell me about something you know...’ question and honestly feel like just giving up now....

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

Has anyone secured or at least know of someone who secured a TC with one of the Top 10/Top 15 firms without first being an intern?

Curious to know as I have 4/5 friends who are a bit older than me who are training/qualified into the Big 5 and all were either an intern or working as a legal exec/sec in the firm before they got their interview for the TC.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

lawgrad49 wrote: »
    Has anyone secured or at least know of someone who secured a TC with one of the Top 10/Top 15 firms without first being an intern?

Curious to know as I have 4/5 friends who are a bit older than me who are training/qualified into the Big 5 and all were either an intern or working as a legal exec/sec in the firm before they got their interview for the TC.

I did and I've never done an internship.

I personally don’t know anyone - a lot hire from the intern group the only firm I know that doesn’t is Fieldfisher !

I have a training contract with A&L and I haven't worked with them before. But I have interned at most of the other big 5. But you make a good point that most TCs at big firms are now being handed out to previous summer interns.

Yeah same, got offered a direct TC at A&L but interned at some of the other big 5 firms. I don’t think you need to get on a formal summer programme, but definitely would help to have some legal experience at a firm of a similar caliber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lawgrad49

I have a training contract with A&L and I haven't worked with them before. But I have interned at most of the other big 5. But you make a good point that most TCs at big firms are now being handed out to previous summer interns.

Yeah it's just a trend I've noticed and wondered was it unique to my friend group because we were all Law students so naturally many interned during college or straight after we graduated. I just never bothered my ass interning because I was working in retail etc and since Uni I've been in a non-legal role but still within professional services.

Good to see a poster above didn't intern anyway, because I don't see myself being fit to do that.

Advertisement