Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

law987 wrote: »
    I know right! It wasn't a full contract, quite short and obviously conditional on passing FE1s. Rang and HR still couldn't commit.

Is it a small firm?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭law987

No, in the top 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

No, in the top 10

Very strange! I've never heard of that happening before.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

I know right! It wasn't a full contract, quite short and obviously conditional on passing FE1s. Rang and HR still couldn't commit. (not Eversheds btw)

I suppose they’re just being cautious at this time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

I have a TC with Arthur Cox and they do describe salary, but says its reviewed every year. MF had pay cuts and freezes imposed last year but they've opened up again

• Advertisement

No, in the top 10

Dillon Eustace?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Corplawtrainee

Yeah heading to AC as well, the partners seemed pretty good about taking the brunt of the hit. Don’t think associates and trainees pay was affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fedone

Any advice for the Arthur Cox Watson glasser text for the internship?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Just got a PFO there from MJ Staines

Fedone wrote: »

Do a few free prep ones on the Internet. There's a subtle difference between different sections that you really need to appreciate for starting the test. I also wouldn't worry too much about the result, I know on good authority that as long as you hit a minimum benchmark they don't really care much about the results beyond that for AC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Corplawtrainee

I thankfully did my internship the summer the WG got introduced. They got all the interns to do it and the results varied drastically. I was awful at them when applying to London firms. Grad rec was pretty adamant that they would only factor it in if they were really clutching at straws to choose between the last remaining people. If you’re generally a strong candidate I don’t think it will be an issue.

Obviously gutted that I didn't even get an interview for Michael Staines, but I would still like to get some experience there. Is there any point in me applying for their summer internship which opens up Monday if I didn't get past the first stage?

Fair enough my grades are not good from college, however I didn't include that in my application so as far as they know I have years of work experience, a law degree, and 3/8 FE1s done. All I can see from that is that I'm lacking any legal experience, which is near impossible to get now with Covid restrictions.

Second question, would it be worth my while replying to the rejection email asking for advice, or why I fell short?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FE1Nov20

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Just got a PFO there from MJ Staines

Sorry to hear you got that but thanks for letting us know! I'm still waiting on some correspondence :(

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

FE1Nov20 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you got that but thanks for letting us know! I'm still waiting on some correspondence :(

Still waiting too- at least they’re letting us know regardless

Obviously gutted that I didn't even get an interview for Michael Staines, but I would still like to get some experience there. Is there any point in me applying for their summer internship which opens up Monday if I didn't get past the first stage?

Fair enough my grades are not good from college, however I didn't include that in my application so as far as they know I have years of work experience, a law degree, and 3/8 FE1s done. All I can see from that is that I'm lacking any legal experience, which is near impossible to get now with Covid restrictions.

Second question, would it be worth my while replying to the rejection email asking for advice, or why I fell short?

I don’t see the harm in applying for the summer internship !! I’d say maybe they could have prioritized people with the FE1s compete for the trainee interview some firms seem to do that.

I’d definitely apply for the internship

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

The answer to both of your questions is obviously yes. Apply for the internship and ask for feedback. You can gain so much and lose absolutely nothing from doing them.

Thanks for the advice guys, helpful as always. I'll shoot them an email and as you say what's to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

Thanks for the advice guys, helpful as always. I'll shoot them an email and as you say what's to lose.

FWIW I got rejected after an interview for a traineeship with a top 5 firm. I emailed back asking for feedback. Got on very well with the person who rang me to give me feedback and she said to apply for the internship, she would make sure I got an interview and also earmark my name. I got offered a contract elsewhere so didn't need it in the end, but that would have been a massive help and would have come from simply asking for feedback.

NewFe1 wrote: »
    FWIW I got rejected after an interview for a traineeship with a top 5 firm. I emailed back asking for feedback. Got on very well with the person who rang me to give me feedback and she said to apply for the internship, she would make sure I got an interview and also earmark my name. I got offered a contract elsewhere so didn't need it in the end, but that would have been a massive help and would have come from simply asking for feedback.

Seconded. Always ask for feedback. You'll never go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭OMGWACA

Fedone wrote: »

Can be really helpful to do well in if you dont have the strongest college grades, shows your critical, analytical thinking.
    I'd say to read the questions really carefully, the questions are purposely framed so it would be easy to misinterpret them, do/dont, can/cant etc. And dont second guess yourself too much, stick with your gut instinct and you'll be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Got nothing off staines yet. So frustrating. There must 100s applying.

channing90 wrote: »
    Got nothing off staines yet. So frustrating. There must 100s applying.

Yeah I had applied for a job in Cavan last year and they literally had 500 people applying

Yeah I had applied for a job in Cavan last year and they literally had 500 people applying

Not sure 500 people even live in Cavan

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Not sure 500 people even live in Cavan

Haha well I don’t even live in Cavan 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

FE1Pleb wrote: »
    How do those training with criminal firms expect to pay for Blackhall?
    If you don't mind sharing, what are those in criminal firms earning whilst training and expect to earn after?
    Currently on 23k and can't see myself getting a raise pre-blackhall

I am banking on the access program, I don't have a law degree, so they won't decide on my application until I have passed all the fe1s, after that hoping for a student grant or bursary from law society and as a last resort loans/begging from family!
    I honestly don't know what I am going to be expecting to earn after, only going to be making around25K while training so obviously not as much as the big firms but I love the work, so I am not complaining!

awsah wrote: »
    I am banking on the access program, I don't have a law degree, so they won't decide on my application until I have passed all the fe1s, after that hoping for a student grant or bursary from law society and as a last resort loans/begging from family!
    I honestly don't know what I am going to be expecting to earn after, only going to be making around25K while training so obviously not as much as the big firms but I love the work, so I am not complaining!

I also think we can apply for susi - you don’t get a maintenance grant with it but covers fees

I also think we can happily for susi - you don’t get a maintenance grant with it but covers fees

yes sorry that's what I mean with grant, when I was in college (all those many years ago) it was the country council grant so couldnt think of its name now. i think you need to have a law masters to qualify for professional exams (or manbe thats only if you got a grand for a masters) I ahve an LLM but I think I qualify, I hope I do anyway!

yes sorry that's what I mean with grant, when I was in college (all those many years ago) it was the country council grant so couldnt think of its name now. i think you need to have a law masters to qualify for professional exams (or manbe thats only if you got a grand for a masters) I ahve an LLM but I think I qualify, I hope I do anyway!

/https://www.lawsociety.ie/Trainees/PPC-Courses/Fees--Funding/

From my reading you don’t need a
    Master and if you have one you only qualify if it’s in law so you’re all good !!

/https://www.lawsociety.ie/Trainees/PPC-Courses/Fees--Funding/

From my reading you don’t need a
    Master and if you have one you only qualify if it’s in law so you’re all good !!

oh yes that's great then I am hoping that one of those options works out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Legalmate

Who do people consider the ‘big training firms’ these days? Say top 10?

My sibling is looking for guidance as to who to apply for.

Advertisement