Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

Dropin wrote: »
    Thank you. I suppose I probably wont get a training contract this year even if I finish in March, but I definitely wont if I don't.

I think i'm also just running scared from Company after hear the results from the last sitting haha.
    Oh I wouldn’t worry to much tbh I did it last March and found it very straightforward and the paper is quite repetitive. You always only hear about the people that were disappointed but I know and have heard a few that did well enough

I agree. As long as you prepare well enough and just give it your best, you’re gonna be okay. I approached it quite similarly as Contract. I went over the past paper and identified the topics first then checking it on the exam grid to see if I was right or not. I did this before answering any of the questions just so I knew how the topics were being asked

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Aisbash wrote: »
    On paper it does sound amazing I agree. I have a training contract with one of the big 5 and I am very lucky to be getting my Blackhall fees paid. Do keep in mind that the salary is reflective of the hours you will work. My bestfriend is a second year trainee in Arthur Cox and frequently goes into work on Saturdays(pre Covid) and will often still be working up until 12am. The work life balance can be non-existent depending on the department and when one works out the salary paid versus the hours actually worked it is not all that amazing. In contrast my sister trained in a very respected small litigation firm in Dublin and absolutely loved it. She was always home at 5/6 and worked on very interesting medical negligence high court cases (she is now qualified and working in this area in one of the big five). She loved training in Dublin and the work-life balance she had allowed her to really enjoy Dublin as a young professional. Her small-firm training did not prevent her from earning the same NQ salary as her big 5 trainee counterparts.

I am not bashing corporate firms, I love corporate law and this is the reason I applied to these firms, but I imagine it would be a tough few years training at those hours if I was not genuinely passionate about this area. Everyone's training experience will be different, but salary is not something I would advise comparing.

So don't be jealous or disheartened reading the figures posted here, I can assure you those trainees will be worked to the bone for that salary. To secure a training contract in this market is an achievement, regardless of the salary(providing it is enough to live off of course).

Oh no I’m perfectly happy with my small firm haha I have no interest in being worked to the bone like so many do and I’ve heard so many horror stories from William fry and the likes so I’m good 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dropin

SKLaw wrote: »
    I agree. As long as you prepare well enough and just give it your best, you’re gonna be okay. I approached it quite similarly as Contract. I went over the past paper and identified the topics first then checking it on the exam grid to see if I was right or not. I did this before answering any of the questions just so I knew how the topics were being asked

Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Has anyone heard from MJ Staines other than the POFs earlier in the week?

jus_me wrote: »

I haven’t heard of anyone with an interview yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

jus_me wrote: »

Again nothing yet. Getting a bit impatient now I won't lie. Really would've expected word by now, especially since they are opening their internships on Feb 1st

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Again nothing yet. Getting a bit impatient now I won't lie. Really would've expected word by now, especially since they are opening their internships on Feb 1st

Yeah I find it odd that some people got the PFOs Monday and then nothing since then

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FE1Nov20

Yeah I find it odd that some people got the PFOs Monday and then nothing since then

Yeah I remember last year when I applied to their trainee programme I didn't hear anything back at all, not even a PFO, so hopefully that doesn't happen again :(

FE1Nov20 wrote: »
    Yeah I remember last year when I applied to their trainee programme I didn't hear anything back at all, not even a PFO, so hopefully that doesn't happen again :(

Oh I got a PFO Monday afternoon

I hate that :( I never heard from Fieldfisher... nor Shields Saldeir :(

• Advertisement

I hate that :( I never heard from Fieldfisher... nor Shields Saldeir :(

Same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

One of the nastiest things some firms do is that they don't even bother sending you a PFO, they just don't get back to you at all. Awful stuff. Most people would rather just be told than be put in permanent suspense.

IgoPAP wrote: »
    One of the nastiest things some firms do is that they don't even bother sending you a PFO, they just don't get back to you at all. Awful stuff. Most people would rather just be told than be put in permanent suspense.

At least field fisher do say we will contact you if we are in a position to interview you

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Corplawtrainee

Lol yeah..AMOSS sent me a PFO two weeks after the internship was over. Don’t know why firms even bother at that stage, not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

Ah seriously, I've got my hopes up for nothing. I would've thought a law firm would have some standards

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭law987

Out of curiosity would anyone know how much Philip lee pay haha

25k for internship while you're being assessed for TC, and 30k once you get offered the TC

Anyone know Eversheds trainee salary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

law987 wrote: »
    Anyone know Eversheds trainee salary

Lower than the top 5, I think it's like high 30s.

Anybody have experience with Pinsent Masons?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NewFe1

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Lower than the top 5, I think it's like high 30s.

Have a friend in Eversheds and I'm fairly sure he told me it was 42k

• Advertisement

NewFe1 wrote: »
    Have a friend in Eversheds and I'm fairly sure he told me it was 42k

Nope, 38K. Asked my friend since posting earlier.

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Nope, 38K. Asked my friend since posting earlier.

May have been reduced due to Covid paycuts

Hers was agreed when she signed her contract in 2018/2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 biglawhead420

Any idea if big 5 cut trainee salaries too?

None of the UK firms did really. They sort of focused on over 80k earners and partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

None of the UK firms did really. They sort of focused on over 80k earners and partners.

I think some firms may have cut salaries/frozen bonuses for higher-ranking employees here too. I don’t remember hearing about any reductions for trainees in top 5 and would know people in 4 of them.

Yeah they did in my firm but they've been restored again.

Is most people's trainee salary agreed when they get their offer and sign the contract, even if it's 2/3 years until they start?

I've a TC and they're not committing to any salary, saying it's too early to say, especially with Covid. Don't want to say too high or too low, but it would be great to know.

Is most people's trainee salary agreed when they get their offer and sign the contract, even if it's 2/3 years until they start?

I've a TC and they're not committing to any salary, saying it's too early to say, especially with Covid. Don't want to say too high or too low, but it would be great to know.

From my knowledge most are given the salary in the contract - I’m sure there’s a caveat to allow them to reduce it or increase it before the contract starts but usually people have an idea

Not even a ballpark? It would be unusual for one to sign a training contract without being told what the salary will be.

• Advertisement

I know right! It wasn't a full contract, quite short and obviously conditional on passing FE1s. Rang and HR still couldn't commit. (not Eversheds btw)

Advertisement