Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    who has everyone got in this one? i know Ngannou has made massive improvements but you cant learn NCAA Division 1 wrestling. i see this going much like the first time

Has he though? He's just doing now what he was doing before the first fight. His cardio and grappling let him down, and we haven't seen anything to show either has improved, other than learning he can stand in front of Lewis for 3 rounds without keeling over.
    He still just has the ultimate punchers chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

who has everyone got in this one? i know Ngannou has made massive improvements but you cant learn NCAA Division 1 wrestling. i see this going much like the first time

not sure i would class it as a podcast but i do terribly enjoy the DC and Helwani show every monday

God i used to listen to Ariel's MMA Hour before he moved to ESPN, and i thought it was great at first but then i slowly realized it was more like the MMA 5 hours every bloody episode, mostly filled with waffle, and gave up. Who tf has that kind of time for a podcast. It used to take me most of the week to finish a single episode.

Jon Anik & Kenny Florian used to do a good one tho not sure if they do it any longer. I gave up on podcasts in general around about 2017 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Porthallian

God i used to listen to Ariel's MMA Hour before he moved to ESPN, and i thought it was great at first but then i slowly realized it was more like the MMA 5 hours every bloody episode, mostly filled with waffle, and gave up. Who tf has that kind of time for a podcast. It used to take me most of the week to finish a single episode.

Jon Anik & Kenny Florian used to do a good one tho not sure if they do it any longer. I gave up on podcasts in general around about 2017 or so.

100% with you on this. I used to thoroughly enjoy the MMA hour podcast but I went off it. Not even the length, I feel like the popularity started to change Ariel more and more to the point where he became unbearable. He started making everything about him. Can't stand him anymore.

Anik & Florian was always my favorite. Loved the Ray Longo minute. Liked the predictions where they got fans involved etc. TJ was also very knowledgeable I thought.

Another I always enjoyed was Chael Sonnen's. Although I get he's a divisive character himself.

Like yourself I gave up on Podcasts a few years ago. Used to always listen to them at work, but can't really do that anymore in my new role.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

not sure i would class it as a podcast but i do terribly enjoy the DC and Helwani show every monday

Stipe offensive wrestling is not that great at all ye he was division 1 but he wasn't a top guy,

He got 1 of 18 take down attempts on JDS for example and JDS was one for one on Stipe,

He has something like 31 % takedown accuracy overall so its not fantastic,

Francis won't out wrestle him but 3 year is certainly long enough to improve his chances of being good enough to keep it standing ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Askren signed to fight Jake Paul. How good would it be if it was Akren who Ko'd him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭barryribs

100% with you on this. I used to thoroughly enjoy the MMA hour podcast but I went off it. Not even the length, I feel like the popularity started to change Ariel more and more to the point where he became unbearable. He started making everything about him. Can't stand him anymore.

Anik & Florian was always my favorite. Loved the Ray Longo minute. Liked the predictions where they got fans involved etc. TJ was also very knowledgeable I thought.

Another I always enjoyed was Chael Sonnen's. Although I get he's a divisive character himself.

Same boat here, I used like the MMA hour but Ariel's ego has gotten in the way of it. I gave up when they gave his producer a slot.

I like Chael's too, very smart and insightful but some of the audio versions seem to be edited to the point where there is no dead space at all. 'I bring this to you because' I actually cant keep up with it, like it is just one big sentence. I ended up dizzy after ten minutes of it.

Thompson and McCarthy's is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Stipe offensive wrestling is not that great at all ye he was division 1 but he wasn't a top guy,

He got 1 of 18 take down attempts on JDS for example and JDS was one for one on Stipe,

He has something like 31 % takedown accuracy overall so its not fantastic,

Francis won't out wrestle him but 3 year is certainly long enough to improve his chances of being good enough to keep it standing ,

I think Stipe is a better all round fighter than Francis. Just has more ways to win, IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Askren signed to fight Jake Paul. How good would it be if it was Akren who Ko'd him.

Ah jaysus. I already feel ashamed of myself knowing I will watch this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭rob316

bmcc10 wrote: »

Askren's striking is really poor, bit of a toss up this fight to be honest.

I think Stipe is a better all round fighter than Francis. Just has more ways to win, IMO

Your correct there don't think there is even an argument there,

Francis just has the one way but its one hell of a way :D

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Askren's striking is really poor, bit of a toss up this fight to be honest.

The worst striking iv eve seen in professional MMA including the women

He will be ko'd , he would be ko'd in a white collar event,

People might think I'm joking but I'm not he is absolutely horrendous at striking ,

The worst striking iv eve seen in professional MMA including the women

He will be ko'd , he would be ko'd in a white collar event,

People might think I'm joking but I'm not he is absolutely horrendous at striking ,

He doesn't strike, he only uses his jab to close the distance for the clinch and shooting. I've never seen Jake Paul box, but it wouldn't take much to beat Askren in boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Jake paul will easily beat him. He will also beat dillion Danni's very easily.

He's a pretty good boxer for someone who has been training consistently for 3+ years. Would he last one round with a pro boxer? Nope but ben Askren is woeful at striking.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Jake paul will easily beat him. He will also beat dillion Danni's very easily.

He's a pretty good boxer for someone who has been training consistently for 3+ years. Would he last one round with a pro boxer? Nope but ben Askren is woeful at striking.

You'd have to wonder what is Ben thinking taking the fight ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Probably "I'll make a lot of money"

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Probably "I'll make a lot of money"

I suppose Jake Paul can't really win either,

If he wins he beat the worst striker in MMA history ,
    IF he loses well that's curtains for his circus

If he beats Askren though the narrative will be "youtuber turned pro boxer beats former UFC fighter". It doesn't look good for MMA and it will catapult him into bigger fighters with other mma fighters. He was calling out Bisping too, but bisping would murder him.

rob316 wrote: »
    If he beats Askren though the narrative will be "youtuber turned pro boxer beats former UFC fighter". It doesn't look good for MMA and it will catapult him into bigger fighters with other mma fighters. He was calling out Bisping too, but bisping would murder him.

Id actually pay to watch Bisping take lumps out of him ,
    I pray to God ben somehow beats this clown ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Like, what is this utter nonsense, who's he trying to fool, 10 year olds?

Ben Askren, literally legendary for his terrible striking.
    Jake Paul: "I shocked the world when I knocked out an NBA superstar athlete but still some people complained that he's not a real fighter. So now I'm giving the people what they want by taking on a real fighter. After I add Ben to my knockout meme collection, what can anybody say?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Don't be so quick to write Ben off. If you use realiable MMA maths it shows Ben is the greatest boxer of all time.

Ben Askren > Robbie Lawler > Rory Macdonald > Woodley > Till > Kelvin Gastelum > Bisping > Dan Henderson > Fedor > Frank Mir > Brock Lesnar > Randy Couture > James Toney > Evander Holyfield > Larry Holmes > Muhammad Ali

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

There are some things in Ben's favour. He has a massive, hard, head. He can take a beating. He is/was an actual professional fighter. He's not going to blow everything he has in the first round.
    I can see Ben using Homer Simpson tactics. No way Jake Paul can fight for 8 rounds. I'd be shocked if he lasted 4.

Hopefully he gets a good boxing coach in to help him prepare. If he can take the absolute bombs Robbie threw at him and survive, this dope should feel like he's hitting him with pillows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I think Jake Paul beats bisping in boxing, assuming he is legit training all the time and not fcuking around.

Bisping is 41 now and has just undergone surgery, so at earliest Bisping would probably be 42 and inactive for a few years.

So if the fight was to happen you have jake paul with 4+ years of boxing with all the trainers money can buy vs 42 year old bisping who will have done very little strict boxing training.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

You'd have to wonder what is Ben thinking taking the fight ,
    He told Helwani that this will be his biggest ever payday. He also probably thinks Jake Paul can't really box and is just some youtube reality star upstart so sees it as an easy nights work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think Jake Paul beats bisping in boxing, assuming he is legit training all the time and not fcuking around.

Bisping is 41 now and has just undergone surgery, so at earliest Bisping would probably be 42 and inactive for a few years.

So if the fight was to happen you have jake paul with 4+ years of boxing with all the trainers money can buy vs 42 year old bisping who will have done very little strict boxing training.

Nah!

Bisping has also been a kickboxer and has trained for most of his life, so his boxing would be pretty good. You don't forget that amount of training easily, plus he's probably done some form of training since retirement, even if it's not full on camps anymore.

Bisping would destroy Jake Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Dean Barry put back into his box by Artem

https://twitter.com/Deanbarry123/status/1354889536912969730?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

This Dean Barry chap seems like a tool. I see in that thread he is telling someone that their opinion is nothing as they aren't a fighter. This is the same lad who is an open anti vaxxer. Hi Dean can you show me your PhD in immunology there? Probably a good idea he doesn't take any extra hits to the head in sparring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Did anyone see the exchange between Bisping and Dillon Danis on Twitter. Pretty funny.

What is even up with Danis, 2 bum-fights in the last 3 years and constantly posting the most cringy call-outs.....

https://twitter.com/bisping/status/1354635711295574016

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I never realised Ariel was in Shameless

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement