Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Chimaev out again, claiming I'll effects of covid still. The lad that runs my local chipper was in ICU with covid over Christmas and is back in now 7 nights a week and this professional athlete can't recover.

Not quite the same thing now, is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ryan Hall is injured and out of his fight with Dan Ige on March 13.

He hasn't fought since 2019

Confirmed it was injury?
    Chimaev out again, claiming I'll effects of covid still. The lad that runs my local chipper was in ICU with covid over Christmas and is back in now 7 nights a week and this professional athlete can't recover.

The lad that runs my local taxi company was in ICU over Christmas. He's dead now.

Ok, that's completely made up. But the point is a viral disease. It's not going to affect everyone the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

It's interesting seeing a good few sports stars have bad lingering effects. Jack Byrne had it bad, from talking to him he's still not right from it either but can carry on because it's football. I had it and was very sick for two weeks and then fully back to normal after another 1/2 weeks. Would imagine getting back to elite level would be difficult though with the small variables having a much bigger effect at that level.

Disappointed the fights off again though especially after all Chimaevs ****e talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Same, disappointed to not see Khabig get properly tested (that not to say he'd room as Edwards a huge step up) but given that the average MMA fighter and fans probably have more of a, ah, natural proclivity towards dismissing pandemics as unimportant or conspiracy theories, perhaps no bad thing in the long run if it means people take it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Fight should never have been made anyway. Edwards v wonder boy now hopefully. #3 V #5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What everyone's view of the Usman v Burns ,

Usman to big and strong for him ?
    I think he out jabs him for 2 rounds and then takes him down by the fence and keeps himself safe ,

5 round domination ,

I think only chance is to catch him with a big shot early

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Usman by unanimous snooze

Beersmith wrote: »
    Usman by unanimous snooze

I enjoy watching him fight,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Mellor wrote: »
    Confirmed it was injury?

The lad that runs my local taxi company was in ICU over Christmas. He's dead now.

Ok, that's completely made up. But the point is a viral disease. It's not going to affect everyone the same.

That's the point I was trying to make(obviously not very well), I wasn't criticising chimaev, as much as I dislike him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

What everyone's view of the Usman v Burns ,

Usman to big and strong for him ?
    I think he out jabs him for 2 rounds and then takes him down by the fence and keeps himself safe ,

5 round domination ,

I think only chance is to catch him with a big shot early

Will the fact they were former teammates play into this?

• Advertisement

Will the fact they were former teammates play into this?

Not sure if it matters really ,
    Everyone knows what Usman does they just can't stop him , Its not like as a team mate you'd know some secret,

I guess if one of them constantly dominated training then they know this and will have extra confidence,

Danas having a meeting with khabib in Vegas soon to sort out whats next for the champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

US2 wrote: »
    Danas having a meeting with khabib in Vegas soon to sort out whats next for the champ.

Can't wait for the build up and the big announcement!

"I can confirm that Khabib...... may fight again"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Jesus he really is desperate to get him back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Mellor wrote: »
    Confirmed it was injury?

Yes. A quote from Ryan Hall on bjpenn.com

“I tore my hip flexor. Almost ripped it off the bone when someone accidentally fell on me in training,” Hall said to BJPENN.com. “I tried to train through it and it made it worse. Went to the doctor, got an MRI, and will be out 8-12 weeks for a full recovery. In physical therapy every day now. I should be good to go by April."

Dan Ige put this up on twitter about Halls cancellations!

https://twitter.com/Dynamitedan808/status/1360042529811357697?s=20

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Jesus he really is desperate to get him back.

If Khabib wanted to retire he would be out of USADA testing pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,820 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

green miller fight off

green collapsed backstage after weigh in ceremony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Bit of a random one - It just struck me this morning listening to a podcast that the use of nicknames used by fighters across all fight sports seems to be disappearing?

Most are simply referred to using their second names (kind of reminds me of secondary school days)

Anyone hazard a guess why nicknames in the sport might not be as popular as they once were?

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Bit of a random one - It just struck me this morning listening to a podcast that the use of nicknames used by fighters across all fight sports seems to be disappearing?

Most are simply referred to using their second names (kind of reminds me of secondary school days)

Anyone hazard a guess why nicknames in the sport might not be as popular as they once were?

The notorious McGregor, the diamond porrier, the eagle khabib, blessed holloway, bones Jones, caos Covington ECT ECT . As many nicknames as ever I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Pitbulllllllllllll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Think he meant on commentary rather than announcing

Patsy167 wrote: »

Eventually all the good ones get used up,
    One a serious note who doesn't have one ? Is Stipe the only current Champ without one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Edwards fighting Belal Muhammad, came completely out of left field that one.

ASOT wrote: »

Easy win for Leon you'd think. Still won't have ever beaten a top 5 fighter though and only 2 top 10. Hoping belal wins, he's funny on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,820 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

ASOT wrote: »

Jesus where did they pluck that one out of :confused:

Belal is good but surely not anywhere the level required to beat Leon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Edwards needs a fight (it's been more than 18 months!) and Muhammad despite being 8-1 in his last nine or 10-3 in his UFC career was struggling to get ranked opponents.

Edwards (#3) was meant to Chimaev (ranked #14), he's now fighting #13.

This isn't blowing anyone's socks off but I like Belal. Should be a decent scrap!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Is it the main event?

Is it the main event?

Apparently so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

If anyones interested, ive recently resurrected a piece of MMA history. I bought Tapouts old website from 2002, and resurrected it here: http://inyaface.eu

Well, i didnt buy the actual website, the original site was inyaface.com, but tapout still own it and i couldn't afford to buy it. But i scraped all the content from the website as it stood in 2002 using the internet archive, and uploaded it to my .eu domain! Its a hilariously cringe website, but a real window into the MMA past. Theres an entire comments section of people discussing tapout gear and MMA in 2001-2, and its all ridiculously edgy, corny, and an affront to anyone with common sense, but jsut funny to see how far MMA has come since those days. The entire websites data is a whopping TEN megabytes lol

And a video about the entire thing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement