Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General MMA Chat/News mk3 - **No Spoilers Use Event Threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Homelander wrote: »
    I don't even get how Dillon Danis gets headlines. Like....he's had 2 fights in about 4 years and they were nobodies even by Bellator standards. It's literally just this link to Conor, and he doesn't even take advantage of it to fight.

He only ever calls out UFC fighters, never Bellator welterweights. I hate after an event when you see a compilation of fighter reactions from Twitter, and his tweets are included.
    He has the same amount of fights as CM Punk, but fought lower quality fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Also on James Vick....what the hell happened that guy? Rare to see a guy his age go so downhill so fast.

Gaethje showed him in a couple of minutes just how levels work when it comes to the UFC after Vick trash talked loads. He was never going to be top tier bit he was never the same after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Working on a BJ Penn video, just uploaded the intro, figured id share if anyones interested! Just have to you know.. write it, and edit it, and all that.. :D

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    What the hell has happened to the UFC in regards to the main news headlines. Nothing but Jake Paul, Dillon Danis, McGregor etc nonsense. Must just be a reflection of the Clickbait world we live in now. Give me a Fight Night featuring Josh Emmett, Kevin Lee and Al Iaquinta over any of this bull.

Theres been a run on "celebrities" boxing and **** lately. Its gone beyond a joke. It started wit hJake Paul and Dildo Dandois, now we have former pop star Aaron Carter claiming he was a street fighter (maybe on the ****in playstaion) who is fighting some former basketballer who just suffered multiple heart attacks and strokes while off his banger on powder in a brothel. Then we had the other one of those paul twats boxing another former basketballer, and countless videos of celebs "training", i.e. weakly hitting pads while some disinterestered trainer goes "beauuuuutiful champ". I guess its the hot new thing to pretend youre a fighter or something, it certainly gets headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

l
    Theres been a run on "celebrities" boxing and **** lately. Its gone beyond a joke. It started wit hJake Paul and Dildo Dandois,

Danis is a pro bjj/mma fighter. Not a celebrity.
    He just happens to copy the a Jake Paul approach to social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,517 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Any chance we can ban talk about YouTubers etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

eagle eye wrote: »
    Any chance we can ban talk about YouTubers etc.?

Only if we exclude talk of Tommy Shlug from the ban. That guy is a legend. In fact, we should be banned for not talking about him.

Edit: Thought this was the gaming forum for some reason. Regardless, my point still stands. :pac:

Mellor wrote: »
    Danis is a pro bjj/mma fighter. Not a celebrity.
    He just happens to copy the a Jake Paul approach to social media.

Yeah i know who Danis is obvs, i just meant the whole calling out youtubers etc. thing seemed to begin with Jake Paul and Danis. Although i guess it really began with Paul vs KSI. Then suddenly everyone wants to be a ****ing fighter, to quote Dana White.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Nate Diaz on helwani today

https://youtu.be/WBCmXtH5Cg4

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

US2 wrote: »
    Nate Diaz on helwani today

https://youtu.be/WBCmXtH5Cg4

Love watching both Diaz bro's fight but neither will ever do anything big in MMA again

Nate knows he is to big for lightweight (drained there) and two weak for Welter weight so just looking for any money fights he can get that don't actually mean anything at made up weight classes ,

Conor making so much money has been good for the sport but bad for actually division's , to many guys know they can get better money in these one off fights than fights that make sense to divisions ,
    Its not good for the UFC in the long run if people don't care about there titles ,

Love watching both Diaz bro's fight but neither will ever do anything big in MMA again

Nate knows he is to big for lightweight (drained there) and two weak for Welter weight so just looking for any money fights he can get that don't actually mean anything at made up weight classes ,

Conor making so much money has been good for the sport but bad for actually division's , to many guys know they can get better money in these one off fights than fights that make sense to divisions ,
    Its not good for the UFC in the long run if people don't care about there titles ,

Its a incredibly short sighted business model theyre running at the moment. Put all your eggs in Conors basket and hope for the best. Theyre now talking about Poirier vs Conor 3 for the belt, like wtf.. Conor loses 2 in a row and gets a title shot?? Why would anyone ever bother clearing out divisions and being the P4P best anymore when you can just **** talk your way to the top of the tree? Theyve completely undermined the importance of actually having a belt, everyone now knows the UFC pay for being a champ is nothing compared to the pay for being a PPV draw. Its far more lucrative to just talk trash than it is to be a champ, which will absolutely be dreadful for the company in the long run. At that point its not a meritocracy its just.. WWF. Or WWE, sorry. Showing my age there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its a incredibly short sighted business model theyre running at the moment. Put all your eggs in Conors basket and hope for the best. Theyre now talking about Poirier vs Conor 3 for the belt, like wtf.. Conor loses 2 in a row and gets a title shot?? Why would anyone ever bother clearing out divisions and being the P4P best anymore when you can just **** talk your way to the top of the tree? Theyve completely undermined the importance of actually having a belt, everyone now knows the UFC pay for being a champ is nothing compared to the pay for being a PPV draw. Its far more lucrative to just talk trash than it is to be a champ, which will absolutely be dreadful for the company in the long run. At that point its not a meritocracy its just.. WWF. Or WWE, sorry. Showing my age there.

Yes they seem to have really lost there way ,
    Although I'm looking forward to Usman v Burns although I reckon Usman beats him up bad , I can see why Khabib had no interest in being Champ Champ with Usman around ,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Oliveira deserves the title shot vs Poirier. Hes the only one of the top 10 on a good run. 8 wins in a row and he may not be next in line. Then Gaethje fights the winner.

Looking back on it, (although I thought the same about his planned "season" in 2020) the arrogance of McGregor thinking he could keep the boxing up in training as a main thing for a fight with Manny later in the year and steam roll Poirier and then fight Khabib in the meantime.

Now his career is on the line in the next fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Bellator announced some great fights.

Yoel Romero v Rumble is one of them!

https://twitter.com/MMAjunkie/status/1359255866101231616?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Stick the popcorn in the microwave for Rumble and Romero, have no idea who that'll play out, hopefully not disappointing although that is very possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

still gutted rumble didn't come back to the ufc
    As far as that grand prix goes I'm thinking there's two likely winners but
    they are facing each other in the first round which is a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Till would want to concentrate on the career saving fight he has in a few months rather than defending this lad.

Hes gone from the next McGregor to a mid card guy on a Fight Night in 2 years.

Til is an idiot. And hes got some serious mental issues if that video of him losing his absolute ****ing mind at the police officer is anything to go by. But sure Dan Kinanhan is a grand lad, hes just a good working class lad who pulled himself up by the bootstraps to become head of an international drug smuggling cartel Boxing promotion.

The Nal wrote: »
    Till would want to concentrate on the career saving fight he has in a few months rather than defending this lad.

Hes gone from the next McGregor to a mid card guy on a Fight Night in 2 years.

He was the main event in his last 6 fights and will main event his next one. Was a close fight against whitaker

• Advertisement

US2 wrote: »
    He was the main event in his last 6 fights

UFC 244 was headlined by Masvidal vs Diaz. But yeah, hes certainly got his push and this has to be his last chance at the big big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

all bellator fights now on bbc iplayer. wonder what that means for us irish folk

The Nal wrote: »
    UFC 244 was headlined by Masvidal vs Diaz. But yeah, hes certainly got his push and this has to be his last chance at the big big time.

Hell never be a mid card guy on fight night cards..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

but1er wrote: »
    all bellator fights now on bbc iplayer. wonder what that means for us irish folk

Glad I reupped on my Smart DNS!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I don't even get how Dillon Danis gets headlines. Like....he's had 2 fights in about 4 years and they were nobodies even by Bellator standards. It's literally just this link to Conor, and he doesn't even take advantage of it to fight.

Also on James Vick....what the hell happened that guy? Rare to see a guy his age go so downhill so fast.

Mad when you consider Joe Duffy who was highly touted got knocked out by Vick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Does Burns have the biggest neck in the UFC?
    I think he could upset Usman this weekend too and take the title as good as Usman is. Burns is an animal since moving to welterweight!

Ryan Hall is injured and out of his fight with Dan Ige on March 13.

He hasn't fought since 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Ryan Hall is injured and out of his fight with Dan Ige on March 13.

He hasn't fought since 2019

Ah that's so ****. Love watching him

FFS Now Khamzat Chimaev is out of his fight with Leon Edwards. Very disappointing

https://twitter.com/espnmma/status/1360010921842782209?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Chimaev out again, claiming I'll effects of covid still. The lad that runs my local chipper was in ICU with covid over Christmas and is back in now 7 nights a week and this professional athlete can't recover.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement